Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/7/2014 11:21:38 PM EDT
I have a couple of .556 AR's (Colt 6920 & Stag 3g) and I'm thinking of getting a .22 AR type rifle for practice and also at .22/rimfire matches.  What's the best one out there?
- S&W M&P 15-22
- Colt M4 OPS .22
- SIG 522

I would like the thing to be as close in feel to a .556 AR as possible if I'm going to use it for training.  The Colt and SIG seem to be heavier then the S&W so  I lean towards them.  The Colt has the AR looks, but I don't think everything functions 100% like an AR (bolt release?) and the inside seems different.  The SIG is different, but design and more like a .556, it seems to come closer.  Anybody been down this road?
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 2:36:51 AM EDT
[#1]
I owned 3 sig 522's over the course of 2 years, pistol, heavy barrel and standard classic and then sold them and the 556 I had during the panic. I had one of those 522's to through over 30,000 rounds and only had to replace a few recoil springs and c clips. I gave that one to my cousin who still shoots it. To date it is the most reliable .22 semi auto rifle I have ever owned. Since going to the AR platform, I have a dedicated CMMG stainless bolt/barreled upper that has been pretty damn good. I do have to keep them a bit cleaner. I like the fact that my lower for the CMMG is the same as my 5.56 AR and weighs the same which can not be said about the smith and Wesson M&P. I have shot many a M&P and they are fine rifles with a great mag and you can still set it up like most real AR's.

The colt I have no experience with.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 11:40:14 AM EDT
[#2]
I have a CMMG upper set up to match my duty rifle and they are very close to being exactly the same.  Main difference is the weight of a loaded 30 round mag in the 223/5.56 Centerfire.   If you use the better mag adapter you can have a functioning bolt catch and use S&W 15-22 magazines.  Buy a CMMG barrel and CMMG SS bolt and build your own upper  if your using anything other than M-4 hand guard.  If your using a traditional M-4 style hand guard with delta ring it might be cheaper to buy a complete upper.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 3:35:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Yes I would build a dedicated upper as a option to the three you asked about. Just cannot get any closer to the real thing with a .22 dedicated upper.

Really like our CMMG .22 uppers.

If you have to go with one of the three you asked about.  The SW MP 15-22 would be the best in my opinion. But if you can swing the expense of a true dedicated .22 upper. Go that route..

You will love it. You just have to trust me when I say skip the copy's and build the dedicated .22 upper first. You will do it anyway

Link Posted: 9/8/2014 9:16:11 PM EDT
[#4]
+1 for building a dedicated .22 upper.

I had a spare lower so I decided to build a lightweight .22 dedicated system.  It is still a work in progress, should be getting a bunch of parts this week.  I do not want the heavy stuff for a .22, so I went with the Taccom lightweight barrel and ALG Defense handguard.  I prefer to assembled my own ARs with the components I want straight from the beginning instead of taking things off and replacing them.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 9:40:55 PM EDT
[#5]
One of our CMMGs got the ULW Taccom treatment. Really like it.  The whole thing weighs right at 5.5 pounds with the lower attached of course. And a Rifle Length Free Float Handguard to boot.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 4:39:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Stag arms has a .22 conversion kit with a mag.  Looks like I could just slip it into my backup AR and its a .22.  For about $225, it seems a good option.  Any issues?
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 4:47:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I think if I went the drop in conversion I would get a CMMG stainless one..

Though I have no experience with Stag ones. Had a drop in CMMG one and it was great in function. Do not expect much for accuracy from a drop in though. What twist barrel would you use the drop in one in?

We used one in a 1/9 twist barrel and accuracy was Minute of Soda Can at best.  I would expect in a 1/7 for example. Accuracy would deteriorate even more..

Maybe your results would be better.

Great thing about buying a CMMG drop in is after that your are very close to just getting a .22 barrel, collar and a cheap upper receiver to complete a dedicated upper..
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 7:48:46 PM EDT
[#8]
I believe I have a 1/7 barrel…shouldn't that be more accurate then 1/9?  My ideal would be an upper with .22 conversion, 16" bbl and a troy extended hand guard with top rail.  Maybe at a gun show there may be some built .22 uppers for sale.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 8:01:20 PM EDT
[#9]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I believe I have a 1/7 barrel…shouldn't that be more accurate then 1/9?  My ideal would be an upper with .22 conversion, 16" bbl and a troy extended hand guard with top rail.  Maybe at a gun show there may be some built .22 uppers for sale.
View Quote
Off the top of my head, I believe most 22lr barrels are 1/16, so the 1/9 would actually perform a bit better...

Link Posted: 9/9/2014 8:05:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Correct..That is my theory anyway..

Some people have actually claimed pretty tight groups with a drop in. I would have to see it in person though to believe it. Not just a Target they posted

Ours was not great by any means. That is why we quickly moved up to a dedicated upper..
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 8:06:45 PM EDT
[#11]
I use the tactial solutions upper and lovet it. I tried a spikes , and a cmmg. The spikes I had was very finnicky about ammo and cleaning. The CMMG  was not bad but I already had the tac sol that I liked so a friend bought the cmmg,. Oddly enough last year I built my nephew a ar22 around the second generation of the ATI Chipia barel and bolt. I am shocked athow well it runs and how forgiving it is of ammo. I did jettison the goofy polymer upper. After r0every thin I had read about the Chipia I am very pleasantly suprised.
Link Posted: 9/9/2014 8:11:16 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

I use the tactial solutions upper and lovet it. I tried a spikes , and a cmmg. The spikes I had was very finnicky about ammo and cleaning. The CMMG  was not bad but I already had the tac sol that I liked so a friend bought the cmmg,. Oddly enough last year I built my nephew a ar22 around the second generation of the ATI Chipia barel and bolt. I am shocked athow well it runs and how forgiving it is of ammo. I did jettison the goofy polymer upper. After r0every thin I had read about the Chipia I am very pleasantly suprised.
View Quote
I've had the same experience with the Chiappa, very pleased, and will move the bolt and cut down barrel to an Aero upper w/o the forward assist for the final build...

Link Posted: 9/9/2014 8:15:49 PM EDT
[#13]
CMMG Bolt, .22LR barrel and the rest, "real" parts. One of my favorite range toys...

Link Posted: 9/9/2014 9:43:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Is there any benefit to using a .22 barrel instead of a .223/.556 barrel when running a conversion kit like CMMG?  I'm now thinking of getting a CCMG conversation kit with the .22 mags to put in my Colt 6920.
- For CCMG, is the locking lug kit worth it?
- Does one need to forward assist assembly?
- They also have a custom charging handle…needed?

Any special cleaning needed after running the .22 conversion through a .223/.556 barrel and upper?
Link Posted: 9/10/2014 9:05:20 AM EDT
[#15]
I would not bother getting the locking lug one.

No Forward assist needed. People that get that just want a full function copy of the real thing.

We run standard AR15 Aluminum Handles in both of ours and have NEVER had a round caught in the channel in the Charging Handle'

I do not like the Plastic Anti Jam handle they sell anyway. Aluminum is much better.
Link Posted: 9/14/2014 11:48:58 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm leaning towards a CMMG .22lr upper.  But I need a free float top rail hand guard that is at least 13" or more to simulate my 3-gun rifle.  I see their upper comes with the 11" hand guard, but they do have 14" hand guard available…will see if they will swap them.  Or I could just get the cheapest CMMG upper with the plastic hand guard and maybe try to replace with a hand guard like UTG Pro hand guard…but I'd have to get a gunsmith to replace it, no tools.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 2:16:24 PM EDT
[#17]
CMMG customer service has been very good every time I've called them.  I'd call them and see if they will assemble an upper with the features you desire.  I know at one time their web site offered options on their dedicated 22 uppers but I haven't looked at their site in a while.  I know CMMG had a few barrels in stock that are not listed on their web site.  Can't hurt to try calling them.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 2:39:26 PM EDT
[#18]
I have the M&P 15-22.  I like it.  It's very light.  Shoots good.  Fun as hell with a slide fire stock.  There's a forum over at the smith and wesson site if you want more input.
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 2:44:45 PM EDT
[#19]
It appears the current cmmg 22lr upper does not have a working bolt catch/release.  When runs empty, the bolt stays back, but releases when u pull out the empty mag and u need to recharge it after putting in new mag.  A s&w does have working bolt switch.  But, it sure is light and plastic like.  Can't change handguard either.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 4:50:07 PM EDT
[#20]
Are you looking for a .224 barrel to fire .22LR .223 bullets and be accurate?  Either buy/build a 22LR upper or buy one of those you previously selected.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 5:28:34 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
It appears the current cmmg 22lr upper does not have a working bolt catch/release.  When runs empty, the bolt stays back, but releases when u pull out the empty mag and u need to recharge it after putting in new mag.  A s&w does have working bolt switch.  But, it sure is light and plastic like.  Can't change handguard either.
View Quote

No it does not, but we use the Better Mag adapter and the SW 15-22 mags in our CMMGs, Best mags around in my opinion anyway.

That combination will give you full function in the CMMG just like the big brother has..
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 7:28:56 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
CMMG Bolt, .22LR barrel and the rest, "real" parts. One of my favorite range toys...

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-Oct4cZ9VOzw/U253Jab0GZI/AAAAAAAA64s/ESwSS5obhUE/w1336-h989-no/IMG_20140510_145732.jpg

View Quote

What adapter are you using to run the 15/22 mags
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 8:35:36 AM EDT
[#23]
Not a great pic. But it is the Better Mag adapter. Works flawlessly.

Sorry, maybe you were asking Pfranz that. But in any case the better mag is the only one for the SW mags I know of.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:09:17 AM EDT
[#24]
I ordered the Better-mag and 3 S&W .22lr magazines for my new CMMG .22lr upper…sounds like the way to go to complete the .22lr AR-22 rifle.
Link Posted: 9/18/2014 7:35:13 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

I ordered the Better-mag and 3 S&W .22lr magazines for my new CMMG .22lr upper…sounds like the way to go to complete the .22lr AR-22 rifle.
View Quote

Ya did good OP! I think this is the best combo out there right now (if you are looking for a way to mirror the AR's manual of arms). Tac-Sol might be a better complete package but a CMMG/Better-Mag/S&W magazine combo allows you to configure the overall setup to your heart's desire.

Link Posted: 9/18/2014 9:00:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Have 2 CMMG Uppers..........love them
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top