Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 7:42:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Mad-Machinist...how did you get so smart?
View Quote

Not all that smart.......just built my first gun when I was 14 ....... And I'm 56 now, you pick up a thing or two in 40 years of doing anything.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 9:38:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

I have that Colt 9mm rifle as well as a rifle built from a D DLES Glock 9mm lower. The Colt 9mm has been flawless. The DDLES has been a pain and sits in the back of my gun safe. Plus the failure of the DDLES BHO makes me think the design is a gimmick.

Buy the Colt and be a happy owner of a reliable and proven 9mm carbine.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Starting from scratch, does it make more sense to get a Glock lower and build it up or just buy a Colt 9mm for under $1,100 here?

No preference on the looks between the Colt and Glock lowers, but very interested in a 9mm carbine.

I have that Colt 9mm rifle as well as a rifle built from a D DLES Glock 9mm lower. The Colt 9mm has been flawless. The DDLES has been a pain and sits in the back of my gun safe. Plus the failure of the DDLES BHO makes me think the design is a gimmick.

Buy the Colt and be a happy owner of a reliable and proven 9mm carbine.

Runs flawless: VIDEO

Oh and I am a colt mag fan, funny thing is I like the Colt mag in there for the same reason you guys prefer the Glock mag look.  I don't like the look of the mag and the grip angled back, it looks strange to me and the angles don't fit in with the rest of the gun.  Just goes to show how personal preference is from one person to another.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 4:44:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Just ordered my Glock small frame lower from QuarterCircle10. With eFile Form 1s running 4 weeks I want to get this build going.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 5:42:25 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Just ordered my Glock small frame lower from QuarterCircle10. With eFile Form 1s running 4 weeks I want to get this build going.
View Quote

I think it's sooner than that.  Maybe a little over two weeks now.    I have one pending the second of this month.   Fastest build to date.  Got the lower on Monday.   engraved Thursday.  Having it Cerakoted this weekend.  Ready on Monday.    Hopefully a stamp soon and I can slap a stock on it.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 7:17:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I think it's sooner than that.  Maybe a little over two weeks now.    I have one pending the second of this month.   Fastest build to date.  Got the lower on Monday.   engraved Thursday.  Having it Cerakoted this weekend.  Ready on Monday.    Hopefully a stamp soon and I can slap a stock on it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Today just must be my day. Ordered my Glock lower and got home to have my first stamp in the mail (5.56 SBR).

Paper form 1 filed 4/24 and approved 8/28. Even the paper forms have improved.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 10:06:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Who could I send a bolt to in order to modify it for use with a Glock lower?
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 10:07:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote

Contact Mad-Machinist. He's in this thread. He just returned my modified bolt.
Link Posted: 9/5/2014 10:36:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cost?
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 7:35:16 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Cost?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cost?

Contact him; I'm not sure what his regular retail price for the bolt mod is, but I know it's quite competitive.  He did the mod, and a couple other things, for mine, and it should be delivered any moment now (shipper seems to be slow due to the Labor Day holiday and such...at least that's what I'm telling myself. ).
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 2:48:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I had two modified by ADCO Firearms.  One was a RRA bolt they supplied as part of a complete pistol upper, the other was a CMMG bolt I sent in.  Turnaround time was 8 days from me dropping it in the mail to me getting it back.

https://www.adcofirearms.com/shopservices/shop_qnew.cfm?code=9mm%20Bolt%20Mods
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 4:43:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I had two modified by ADCO Firearms.  One was a RRA bolt they supplied as part of a complete pistol upper, the other was a CMMG bolt I sent in.  Turnaround time was 8 days from me dropping it in the mail to me getting it back.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yea, ADCO cut my CMMG bolt.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 2:03:16 PM EDT
[#12]
For those who may be interested, I sent a Message to QC10 asking about, amongst other things, if they will be offering a ready-to-run bolt and what type of finish it will have, and some barrel questions. I got this reply from Russ on 01 Sep:
"...Yes we will be offering bolts with the glock cut already done, I also really like the melonite finish.  As for the thread, we do 1/2x28 as almost all suppressors will be 1/2x28.  I believe colt came up with 1/2x36 to keep people from threading a 5.56 flash hider on a 9mm barrel. ..."
He didn't give an ETA or a pricepoint.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 3:03:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
As for the thread, we do 1/2x28 as almost all suppressors will be 1/2x28.  I believe colt came up with 1/2x36 to keep people from threading a 5.56 flash hider on a 9mm barrel. ..."
He didn't give an ETA or a pricepoint.
View Quote

Just a fair point...I purchased a group of items that included an A2 muzzle device from another member here that was advertised as a 9mm A2 hider.  When it arrived it was in a bag labeled as 9mm and I stuck it aside to get to for a later build.  Several months later, as my 9mm build progressed, I pulled out said A2 hider to use for the build and I tried to drop a 9mm bullet through the muzzle device and it came to a stop about 3/4's of the way through.  Checked the threads and sure enough it was 1/2x28, not 1/2x36.  Had I not thought to actually test the device manually before shooting and it had the same threads as my 9mm barrel, that first shot would have been quite interesting.  If it were me, I'd stick with different threads for anything under .300 caliber.

Wes
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 9:21:00 PM EDT
[#14]
+1 for ADCO. They did my Model 1 supplied bolt (RRA?) for my Lone Wolf lower.  Modified the bolt carrier for the 9mm hammer and for Glock magazines.  $90 to my door.  Turned it in less than a week.  Very well done and it's running flawlessly.
Scott
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 12:51:18 PM EDT
[#15]
I received my Quartercircle 10 lower last week, and ordered a number of parts for my build that should be here next week.

QuarterCircle 10 lower     $485 with shipping thru Gunbroker   delivered
7" barrel from JSE Surplus $115 shipped  pending delivered
10" Free Float handguard  $70 from CTD delivered
Seekins Precision billet bolt stop $18  from CTD  delivered
9mm Bolt from CTD   $144 shipped delivered
CMT Billet Slick Upper with port door from Rainer Arms $132 pending
Bushmaster LPK  $50 from Brownells delivered
Gas shield  (parts bin)
Half port door (parts bin)
Magpul MOE grip (parts bin)
Sig Arms brace (parts bin)
Endine Buffer (parts bin)
Buffer spring (parts bin)
Magpul BU sights (parts bin)
Adco bolt mod $53 with shipping pending
Korean 33 round Glock mags $10 each from CTD  pending (6)
9mm Flash suppressor (parts bin. Will see if this thing works before buying a suppressor mount)

Lower parts kit went in with no issues.

Using the supplied bolt catch spring and the Seekins bolt catch makes for a very loose fit in the lower.  My guess the spring is lighter than a standard spring to allow the last round bolt hold to work.  We'll see.

I already own a Colt pattern 9mm SBR and a few dozen mags. If this works just as well, I'll consider parting with the Colt pattern 9mm parts.

Link Posted: 9/12/2014 1:52:51 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I received my Quartercircle 10 lower last week, and ordered a number of parts for my build that should be here next week.

QuarterCircle 10 lower     $485 with shipping thru Gunbroker   delivered
View Quote

WHAT!?   What am I missing?  You can get a lower for 274 on their website

http://www.qcircle10.com/glock-small-frame-lower.html
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 2:13:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Korean 33 round Glock mags $10 each from CTD  pending (6)
View Quote

FYI - those Korean "KCI" 33rd magazines didn't work for sh*t in my DDLES lower, in fact I've had them literally fall out of the rifle.
The problem is "cut" that the mag release button locks into.  On the KCI mags, that cutout is very shallow.  On factory Glock magazines, its much deeper.

If it were my $, I'd return those KCI mags and stick to factory Glock magazines.  

YMMV

EDIT - Here's a pix illustrating the difference.  On the left, the KCI mag.  Glock OEM on the right.  The Glock magazine has a deeper & sharper notch.

Link Posted: 9/12/2014 2:34:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Take a dremmel and deepen the notch.  Or a file
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 2:47:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

When you're over $1,000 into a custom build do you really want to get all ghetto with the dremmel on your magazines?  
Seriously, the KCI's aren't saving you much over an OEM Glock mag if you have to butcher them up.  
....but hey, if it works for you - have at it.  
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 3:32:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

When you're over $1,000 into a custom build do you really want to get all ghetto with the dremmel on your magazines?  
Seriously, the KCI's aren't saving you much over an OEM Glock mag if you have to butcher them up.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You bought them buddy, not me.  I purchased only the glock brand.

When you're over $1,000 into a custom build do you really want to get all ghetto and purchase KCI magazines?   I guess you did.

Make do with what you have and fix them or toss them,  up to you!
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 9:46:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Anyone tried the 50 round drum mags that are coming in from Korea?

Wes
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 6:45:19 PM EDT
[#22]
I checked the two Korean mags I just got in my receiver this morning; they stick tight and fall free - with quick testing and empty magazines.
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 9:50:12 PM EDT
[#23]
I had a problem with 2 Korean 33 round mags in my Model 1 upper/Lone Wolf lower.  Although my issue was on the rear of the mag.  The bolt jammed on the metal lip.  Seems the KCI mags have more metal in that area and the bolt bent the whole back end up.  The Glock mags all work fine.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 10:56:56 PM EDT
[#24]
Alright.  I had the old bolt hold open issuewith my new small glock frame lower from QC10.  After fiddling with it for an hour I finally got it to work.  You can do a search to see a step by step solution to the problem but that didn't work for me- directly at least.  What helped was bending the tab down that engages the magazine to lift up the bold hold open.  The other thing I had to do was compress the spring behind the bolt catch release so that it wasn't as strong.  Maybe I got a warped spring.   That is all.

Here's the post about that scenario

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_15/600709_DDLES_Update___Spoke_to_Jon.html&page=12
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 7:34:12 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Alright.  I had the old bolt hold open issuewith my new small glock frame lower from QC10.  After fiddling with it for an hour I finally got it to work.  You can do a search to see a step by step solution to the problem but that didn't work for me- directly at least.  What helped was bending the tab down that engages the magazine to lift up the bold hold open.  The other thing I had to do was compress the spring behind the bolt catch release so that it wasn't as strong.  Maybe I got a warped spring.   That is all.

Here's the post about that scenario

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_15/600709_DDLES_Update___Spoke_to_Jon.html&page=12
View Quote

My QC 10 lower came with a bolt catch spring that's much smaller (and weaker) than the standard spring.  I wonder if that's enough to prevent this problem.  I have had to put assembling the lower on a back burner because of work (and now I have a bug), so I hadn't gotten to that part, let alone finishing it and taking it to the range.
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 9:54:57 AM EDT
[#26]
You know,  I remember reading about it coming with a spring.  I bet I forgot to put that in.  Ill go back and look in the box.   Doh!

I purchased a lower kit and installed it.  Sorry for any confusion.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 11:06:45 PM EDT
[#27]
like everyone else, ive wanted one of these for a while and will absolutely buy one (most likely the large frame because i already have a glock 21). I know nothing about pistol caliber ARs, Ive got to start researching this ASAP
Link Posted: 9/21/2014 10:11:49 PM EDT
[#28]
Be happy to answer any questions you may have.......shoot me an email if you like
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 2:10:42 PM EDT
[#29]
First time to the range with my QC 10-based carbine, and it was great.  BHO worked every time using the supplied shorter and lighter bolt catch spring...as long as my cheap Korean-made 33 round mags didn't fall out of the gun.  They have a shallower notch and the mag catch doesn't completely grab them the way a Glock mag is grabbed.  It's due to the use of a lever for a mag catch on the Glock-compatible lower, rather than Glock's (and just about every other button-type pistol mag catch) slide mechanism.  I'm going to whittle at the right hand notch on my cheap magazines to get 'em to stay put.  It's not that big a challenge, and it's a lot cheaper than trying to buy Glock's really high capacity mags.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 10:08:39 AM EDT
[#30]
Here is a golden oldie. DDLES lower & DI9mm.DDLES/9mm
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 5:49:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Now that SIG has the MPX showing that you *CAN* build a 9mm piston-driven gun, I'm waiting for the AR industry to get aboard!  I'd love a 9mm piston upper to run atop a glock-compatible or colt-compatible lower!!!!!!

<Not holding breath>

Richard
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 6:05:29 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Now that SIG has the MPX showing that you *CAN* build a 9mm piston-driven gun, I'm waiting for the AR industry to get aboard!  I'd love a 9mm piston upper to run atop a glock-compatible or colt-compatible lower!!!!!!

<Not holding breath>

Richard
View Quote

For sigs MSRP i'll stick to my blow back 9mm upper.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 7:26:40 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
For sigs MSRP i'll stick to my blow back 9mm upper.
View Quote

It's not that far out of line from their 516 and 716 line....  Sure it'll never be a "bargain build" but I'm ok with that.  Living in Kolorado with our magazine situation now, I'd probably spring nearly that to get an MPX-type AR upper that ran on either Glock or Colt/Uzi mags like I already have.  Heck, MP5 mags even.  Damn shame SIG couldn't have re-used an existing mag design

Richard
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 7:41:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Sadly, the SIG MPX isn't likely to be available as a Title I "long gun" any time soon, and the pistol variant is WAY too expensive for what you'd get in a semiauto.  Unless, of course, the thing can accept a RDIAS...  I haven't seen any details on the SIG lower, so I'm not holding my breath on that.

On the other hand, a DI 9mm or 40 S&W short upper would be exceptionally nice.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 8:24:31 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Unless, of course, the thing can accept a RDIAS...  I haven't seen any details on the SIG lower, so I'm not holding my breath on that.

View Quote

Agree on no details makes me presume there's no AR-compatibility in the lower.  I'm not sure I see the appeal of a DI upper - to me the cleanliness is the appeal of the piston system, so DI just doesn't do anything for me....
Link Posted: 9/27/2014 10:21:42 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Agree on no details makes me presume there's no AR-compatibility in the lower.  I'm not sure I see the appeal of a DI upper - to me the cleanliness is the appeal of the piston system, so DI just doesn't do anything for me....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Unless, of course, the thing can accept a RDIAS...  I haven't seen any details on the SIG lower, so I'm not holding my breath on that.

Of the three, blowback (current, readily available 9mm carbines), DI (the MPX) and piston (vaporware?), blowback is FAR AND AWAY the filthiest.  SIG's DI system seems to be truly DI, not the "piston in the carrier" AR15 system, will be a whole lot cleaner than blowback ARs.  I'm not sure whether Ron Williams' "DI" pistol caliber systems are DI or AR-gas, but either way, they'd be a whole lot cleaner than blowback.  Besides, I don't know that there could be enough room for a short-stroke piston on a pistol-gas AR-like system.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:35:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
DI (the MPX)
View Quote

Hmmm, methought SIG called the MPX a "short-stroke piston" system?  Why do you say it's "DI"????  

AFAIK, Ron's "DI" pistol calibers are exactly that - a Stoner-type DI system.  He told me that factory 9mm was too dirty and fouled the gas tube IIRC.

Richard
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:21:53 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Of the three, blowback (current, readily available 9mm carbines), DI (the MPX) and piston (vaporware?), blowback is FAR AND AWAY the filthiest.  SIG's DI system seems to be truly DI, not the "piston in the carrier" AR15 system, will be a whole lot cleaner than blowback ARs.  I'm not sure whether Ron Williams' "DI" pistol caliber systems are DI or AR-gas, but either way, they'd be a whole lot cleaner than blowback.  Besides, I don't know that there could be enough room for a short-stroke piston on a pistol-gas AR-like system.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

From Sigs website
The SIG MPX employs the SIG SAUER® battle-proven gas-operated short stroke piston system for unequaled reliability in the field, even under the most adverse conditions.

Quoted:

AFAIK, Ron's "DI" pistol calibers are exactly that - a Stoner-type DI system.  He told me that factory 9mm was too dirty and fouled the gas tube IIRC.

Richard

That is what I remember as well. I believe the 40 and 45 did ok with factory ammo but he had to handload the 9mm for it to be reliable.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 6:48:45 AM EDT
[#39]
Yeah, I wasn't paying attention.  The SIG is a short-stroke piston (cleaner), and I don't know how I got to thinking it was DI.

My list of dirtier and cleaner is still accurate, I just shouldn't have put the MPX on the list that way.  I'm not sure how far out the gas port on the MPX is, but I'd really like to see more deteails on that gun.
Page / 4
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top