Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/28/2014 9:59:31 AM EDT
And by new i mean custom fabricated prototype probably never be for resale. But the concept is easy, take 1 Arredondo AR15 polymer magwell (or cheapo airsoft replica at half the price for experimenting on), add some precision measuring and cutting, contour material to provide smooth mag insertion, then reassemble to fit the smaller DDLES glock lower opening.

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-OpQ-fuorhgU/U9WgHueeQKI/AAAAAAAAIXQ/w6uvByR29mg/s400/%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

You may ask why, but other than the obvious why not, i use my 9m carbine primarily at our local club where we have a lot of matches that permit pistol cal carbines for high speed knockdown steel, uspsa-esque matches and indoor shoots so it sees a lot of use and is mostly run on the clock with reloads. With no rules disallowing any such aid, i figured i'd try making something up.

The Arredondo magwell is a good candidate for cannibalizing since in its assembled form, its attachment mechanism already fits the lip around the DDLES stock mag well.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Y3S-YKbarnk/U0g1zJs8p6I/AAAAAAAAH7Q/WD_AJkiBzYI/s400/%255BUNSET%255D.jpg

With that as a foundation for fitment, we can then focus more on sectioning the magwell both horizontally and vertically to bring the magwell in to match the DDLES opening, but also to remove some material to even out the transitions.

First i trimmed the magwell horizontally to make the top and bottom parallel. This primarily made it easier to set up for and work with for the next cut, but also makes the end result more symmetrical and easier to blend the opening.

With that cut out of the way, i took the measurements needed to remove a section from the middle which is needed to shorten the magwell in overall length so it will interface with the DDLES stock magwell lip around the entire perimeter. This is critical for both providing secure attachment and for facilitating smooth mag insertion because if its too small, its just wont fit and if its too large, the internal transition will not be smooth.

Once the magwell is sectioned vertically, we need to reattach them securely and permanently as we dont want it coming apart or falling off from repeated recoil/handling/etc. I had pondered fiberglassing or CF wrapping it, but in the end decided that joining the halves with two, 1/16"x3/4" roll pins per side should suffice. Measured and chucked up in the drill press, drilled the necessary holes for depth and then drove the pins in and attached the two halves.

With the two halves together we can test fit on the receiver. It Fits! Next step is contouring the opening to remove some excess material and provide additional flare to better funnel the GLOCK magazine into. Some real light work with a dremel and 2 sizes of sanding drums took care of the bulk of the material, then finish it off with some fine emery paper to smooth both the exterior and interior from all the cutting and sanding.

In the end, it works fantastic, the fit is great and the end result is rather solid. I may go back and in-fill some of the seams with some devcon, but for a functional piece, its GTG as it sits.

Pictured with a G19 magazine that i usually use with the gun, these are a little too short for the magwell. I'll end up using G17 mags with a TTI extended base plate to provide more area to grab and manipulate the mags in live fire.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-P_FRq9qPrUk/U9WgESboPtI/AAAAAAAAIXA/ONmBPkTsFyU/s400/%255BUNSET%255D.jpg
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-NMRw39QG9-4/U9WgCflYcsI/AAAAAAAAIW4/pCr2EPyeJP4/s400/%255BUNSET%255D.jpg
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-AqdHahPoqJY/U9WgI0RtSQI/AAAAAAAAIXY/A1iX6kJTCGw/s400/%255BUNSET%255D.jpg
https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-dxZDIhfJIf8/U9WgLhw-DsI/AAAAAAAAIXo/MR7u51-6MOc/s400/%255BUNSET%255D.jpg
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 11:21:26 AM EDT
[#1]
TL;DR

I would never hold a magwell to shoot any type of AR.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 12:02:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would never hold a magwell to shoot any type of AR.
View Quote

Magwell's are not for "holding", that's what the handguard is for. These are for quicker mag changes in timed shooting competitions with reloads on the clock.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 1:22:43 PM EDT
[#3]
No other way to say it,.......that looks like shit!
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 2:09:26 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

I guess if this was a fashion forum, that would mean something.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 4:23:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its a gamer gun, what the hell do looks have to do with functionality?  Friggin mall ninjas. . .

Interesting idea OP.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 6:49:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Does it work? Did it shave time off your reload?  It is pretty ugly, but if it does what it's supposed to it doesn't really matter.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 7:42:38 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Does it work? Did it shave time off your reload?  It is pretty ugly, but if it does what it's supposed to it doesn't really matter.
View Quote

It is a bit on the ugly side right now, but functionality-wise it works. The DDLES magwell is very straight with a narrow opening not conducive to fast reloads unless they are right on the money. Additional, if you come in at an angle and they bind pretty easily. Getting the angle correct is something that comes with practice so its not the main issue. The magwell helps align the top mag in so you can just slam them home without that brief hesitation you get just as you try to align the mag with the opening. Just one fluid motion of snatching one from your belt and slamming it home.
Link Posted: 7/31/2014 10:43:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My apologies,......The comment was un called for.
Guess I've had a hard time of getting sarcasm or humor across lately
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top