Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/27/2014 11:00:34 AM EDT
I just received my 9mm brake from jp to finish my ddles build. It did not come with a crush washer to time it? WTF.... 80 bucks and no washer. My question is, will a standard 5.56 crusher work on the 9mm or do I have to get a different size?
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 3:52:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Most 9mm barrels are threaded for 1/2" like 5.56mm barrels are, so you'll probably be fine with a standard crush washer.

I still can't imagine why you'd need a break for a 9mm though....
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 5:25:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Most 9mm barrels are threaded for 1/2" like 5.56mm barrels are, so you'll probably be fine with a standard crush washer.

View Quote

So it looks cool! All kidding aside, a 9mm out of a rifle does have recoil. Not enough to hurt but enough to move your sight off target. With a brake/comp you can pretty much keep pulling the trigger and not leave center of your target. And a standard crush washer will work fine, all 1/2" threads, just different pitch and spacing.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 6:49:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Did you check the box/envelope real good?  Sometimes those small parts get lost in whatever packing material gets pushed in with the items being shipped.  And since their website indicates a crush washer is supplied with the comp, if you still can't find it, give them a call.  I'll bet they'll ship you one.  I've found JP to be one of the most responsive companies out there when it comes to CS.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 6:51:55 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

So it looks cool! All kidding aside, a 9mm out of a rifle does have recoil. Not enough to hurt but enough to move your sight off target. With a brake/comp you can pretty much keep pulling the trigger and not leave center of your target. And a standard crush washer will work fine, all 1/2" threads, just different pitch and spacing.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've found the 9mm is jumpy not because of recoil that can be tamed by a brake, but because the heavy mass of the bolt and buffer reciprocating.  No amount of brake will change that.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 3:44:27 AM EDT
[#5]
I'll +1 that, my 9mm upper has the same thread pitch as my 7.62x39 upper so I've tried several of those (A2 birdcage, YHM phantom, Aeres Effin-A) and I can't tell the difference between any of them and nothing. I stuck the Phantom back on just for looks, if you want to tame recoil get the heaviest buffer you can find, preferably a dedicated length.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top