Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/26/2014 5:58:02 AM EDT
I bought my first AR in 2005, a RRA National Match A4 and it has been 100%. I have been hand loading for and running older RRA AR15s in .223/5.56 for the past 9 years and am familiar with the AR platform. Now I intend on getting an AR type carbine chambered in 9mm Luger but don't know enuff about them to make an informed choice.

Examples I've looked at is a Colt model 6951 lightweight for $1200, It has a 1 in 10 twist comes with one mag that looks like a Sten mag.

Another is a CMMG model MK-9 carbine with what looks like a Sten mag. for $975.

I've heard that 9mm ARs fed by Glock mags run well and I prefer Glock mags for 9mm ARs because I already have them. And I'm thinking I going to prefer a lightweight over a HB.

My 9mm AR will be used for fun and informal club matches held at our small local gun club. I will use open and red dot sights. Being semi-retired I shoot my guns alot, something like 300 to 400 rounds per month every month year after year.

What do I need to know and what should I consider when selecting an AR 9mm carbine?
What is the preferred rate of twist or are they all the same?
Is there a preferred mag type?

Any info I need to know in order to make a good informed choice, anything I may want to consider when buying a new AR platform 9mm carbine will be appreciated?

Thank You For Taking The Time.
 VonBark

BTW; I have been on and posting on AR15.com since 2005 but forgot my password so I changed my screen name.

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 6:14:50 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a Lone Wolf lower that takes Glock mags. I love it , it shoots well and has never had any kind of problems.

You can find them on Gunbroker or direct from LW if you are willing to wait.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 8:41:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a Lone Wolf lower that takes Glock mags. I love it , it shoots well and has never had any kind of problems.

View Quote

LW's website is currently showing "Ample Stock" and is about $100 cheaper than the cheapest on Gunbroker.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 9:53:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Try to catch a DDLES Glock lower on Gunbroker.

Link Posted: 7/26/2014 10:09:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

LW's website is currently showing "Ample Stock" and is about $100 cheaper than the cheapest on Gunbroker.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Wow, they won't last long.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 4:25:44 PM EDT
[#5]
They are not Sten mags, they are colt pattern 9mm mags. I use ASC 32rd mags that can be found for $13 each. No issues at all.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 6:54:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I bought my first AR in 2005, a RRA National Match A4 and it has been 100%. I have been hand loading for and running older RRA AR15s in .223/5.56 for the past 9 years and am familiar with the AR platform. Now I intend on getting an AR type carbine chambered in 9mm Luger but don't know enuff about them to make an informed choice.

Examples I've looked at is a Colt model 6951 lightweight for $1200, It has a 1 in 10 twist comes with one mag that looks like a Sten mag.

Another is a CMMG model MK-9 carbine with what looks like a Sten mag. for $975.

I've heard that 9mm ARs fed by Glock mags run well and I prefer Glock mags for 9mm ARs because I already have them. And I'm thinking I going to prefer a lightweight over a HB.

My 9mm AR will be used for fun and informal club matches held at our small local gun club. I will use open and red dot sights. Being semi-retired I shoot my guns alot, something like 300 to 400 rounds per month every month year after year.

What do I need to know and what should I consider when selecting an AR 9mm carbine?
What is the preferred rate of twist or are they all the same?
Is there a preferred mag type?

Any info I need to know in order to make a good informed choice, anything I may want to consider when buying a new AR platform 9mm carbine will be appreciated?

Thank You For Taking The Time.
 VonBark

BTW; I have been on and posting on AR15.com since 2005 but forgot my password so I changed my screen name.

View Quote

Just remember that while it's cool to use glock mags, glock lowers have some major disabilities.

Glock mags are WAY more expensive than colt SMG mags.

Also you need to buy a specialized BCG that's modified for use with glock mags as they have a single stack opening instead of a typical double stack. Or you could send a normal 9mm bcg I.e. cmmg to ADCO and they will modify it for you, but it's just another step and more expensive.
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 7:50:01 PM EDT
[#7]
As far a lowers that take Glock mags, I believe your only choices are the Lone Wolf or getting your hands on a used DDLES.  The used ones I have seen are usually asking $400+ so that kills it for me.  The guy who acquired what was left of DDLES is supposed to be back up and running soon and said he will have new lowers up on Gunbroker in the coming weeks, so you may want to wait a bit before buying.

I personally went with the Colt style lower as I don't own or plan to own any Glocks.  I am not familiar with Glock mag costs, but the high quality Colt mags will cost $30-40.  You can get some for <$20 but they may not work in your setup.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 9:32:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Lone wolf does not have bolt hold open which killed it for me. I am in same shoes as OP, would love to be able to use glock mags but most important to me is the sameness of operation.

I'm not sure what my options are at this point I just canceled my lone wolf plan
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 5:30:37 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Lone wolf does not have bolt hold open which killed it for me. I am in same shoes as OP, would love to be able to use glock mags but most important to me is the sameness of operation.

I'm not sure what my options are at this point I just canceled my lone wolf plan
View Quote

Like dvp said just above, wait a few weeks and the company that took over DDLES should have some 9mm glock mag lowers on gun broker. They have last shot hold open.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top