Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/18/2014 5:25:06 AM EDT
I'm putting together my parts list for a dedicated 9mm AR build, but I'm not seeing many options for a 9mm flash suppressor/muzzle brake.  Suggestions?
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 6:48:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Vortex Flash Hider would be my first choice after a suppressor.

Link Posted: 7/18/2014 7:22:27 AM EDT
[#2]
This will be built as a SBR, and it will eventually wear a suppressor, but that's at least a year out.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 10:43:33 AM EDT
[#3]
My 9mm bbl has 1/2x36 threads so not too many options for me. Cnc warrior has a few but nothing I like better than the A-2 it came with.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 10:54:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 10:55:21 AM EDT
[#5]
Not much muzzle flash from a 16" 9mm barrel, the A1 or A2 styles with the correct thread are fine.

ETA:
Now see the SBR comment, even from a short barrel there isn't that much flash.  Unless you already have a suppressor & mount in mind, I'd get something inexpensive since it's just going to be replaced anyway.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 11:36:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Flaming pig. Need 1/2x28 threads but a 5.56 noveske pig has an opening big enough for an entire 9mm casing to fit in it.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 1:42:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I just use a thread protector on mine. when i get a suppressor for it, i will remove accordingly.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 7:02:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Flaming pig. Need 1/2x28 threads but a 5.56 noveske pig has an opening big enough for an entire 9mm casing to fit in it.
View Quote

A Noveske Flaming Pig would be cool.  You can get a 1/2x36 to 5/8x24 adapter, so a .308 Pig might work.  I'll have to call them...
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 5:54:28 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

I'm putting together my parts list for a dedicated 9mm AR build, but I'm not seeing many options for a 9mm flash suppressor/muzzle brake.  Suggestions?
View Quote

What are you trying to accomplish with the muzzle device?
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 6:51:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

A Noveske Flaming Pig would be cool.  You can get a 1/2x36 to 5/8x24 adapter, so a .308 Pig might work.  I'll have to call them...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I contacted Noveske two days ago with the same question. Their response was, in short, "it's not a good idea". That said, if you search the interwebs, there seems to be plenty of guys doing it. Of course, there's a lot of dumb shit on the internet...
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 7:27:29 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I contacted Noveske two days ago with the same question. Their response was, in short, "it's not a good idea". That said, if you search the interwebs, there seems to be plenty of guys doing it. Of course, there's a lot of dumb shit on the internet...
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

As FreezinSig mentioned, the .5x28 kx3 has a bore diameter > 9mm.  I'm not sure I understand the concern when you can drop a 9mm round, casing and all through it. The projectile diameter clears the bore... the pressures is far less than .5.56.... you're fine (with obvious caveats with all firearms that barrel and muzzle device are within spec).

Link Posted: 7/19/2014 8:52:52 PM EDT
[#12]
They are just covering their asses. It would be fine.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 5:57:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

As FreezinSig mentioned, the .5x28 kx3 has a bore diameter > 9mm.  I'm not sure I understand the concern when you can drop a 9mm round, casing and all through it. The projectile diameter clears the bore... the pressures is far less than .5.56.... you're fine (with obvious caveats with all firearms that barrel and muzzle device are within spec).

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The gunsmith who has bored out a few for me says to always maintain .020" clearance on the exit hole.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 8:27:39 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

The gunsmith who has bored out a few for me says to always maintain .020" clearance on the exit hole.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My kx3 = .385

9mm parabellum bullet diameter = .355
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 9:09:41 AM EDT
[#15]
I'd go with a 9mm A2-style flash hider for now, and then decide what muzzle device/can adapter you want when you decide what suppressor you want.

Rock River has A2-style flash hiders (in the appropriate thread for the OP's barrel) for $12.50.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 10:38:27 AM EDT
[#16]
A2, unless you're doing it for fashion.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 12:48:59 PM EDT
[#17]
As the eventual plan is to go with a suppressor, the only real purpose would be cosmetic.  This will be my first 9mm AR, but I just don't see a lot of recoil or muzzle flash coming out of a 9mm barrel, even as short as 8.5".  A Noveske Pig would rate high in tacti-cool points, but after a little thought it's not worth the $100+ unless it's actually doing something.  At this point I'm leaning towards a simple A2, or possibly (if I'm feeling rich and stylish) a Smith Vortex.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 1:26:58 PM EDT
[#18]
Get an A1 instead of A2, then you don't have to index it.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 1:54:31 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Good point, but I haven't searched for those, while I had recently looked for an A2...It's harder to find A1s that'll handle 9mm, at least from someone I'd feel comfortable buying from.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 4:40:02 PM EDT
[#20]
I'm  looking for a 5.5" flash hider of some sort for my DDLES build up.  I have a rock river 10.5" upper and was wanting to go the rifle route till I SBR  mine. Just can't find one anywhere.  I had one on my oly upper and don't remember where I got it.

My upper has an A1  flash hider on it.  I'll get rid of it if I can just find a 5.5" one.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 5:39:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I'm  looking for a 5.5" flash hider of some sort for my DDLES build up.  I have a rock river 10.5" upper and was wanting to go the rifle route till I SBR  mine. Just can't find one anywhere.  I had one on my oly upper and don't remember where I got it.

My upper has an A1  flash hider on it.  I'll get rid of it if I can just find a 5.5" one.  
View Quote

Have you considered getting a Sig pistol brace?
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 9:07:12 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh god no!  Those things are hideous.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 9:33:21 PM EDT
[#23]
Just came across this...

According to the Spike's website, "Available in 5.56 1/2"-28 and 30 caliber 5/8"-24. The 30 caliber cone will also support 9mm."

At $135 it's more than I want to spend, but it's a cool option for those willing to drop the coin.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 7:18:13 AM EDT
[#24]
KAK Industry makes solid KX3/KX5 clones in 1/2x36. $35. Done.

http://www.kakindustry.com/ar-15-parts/upper-parts/barrels/barrel-parts/flash-hiders-and-muzzle-breaks/for-1-2-36-threads
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 1:09:27 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't have one myself, but it seems much more palatable than welding a 5.5" extended flash hider on your barrel until your stamp comes in.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 3:34:30 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 3:38:56 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

I wouldn't get too wound up about it.
I had a Colt and after 16"s there isn't any "flash" to get rid of and recoil is a joke.

YMMV
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 3:44:56 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

9mm Muzzle Devices. <------click
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:02:30 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had completely forgotten about them...  Yep.  Go there, buy one, done.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top