Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/17/2014 3:44:00 PM EDT
Looking for recommendations on a high quality/accurate/reliable dedicated .22lr AR-15 complete upper along with some high capacity magazines to go with it, my budget is just under $600, any suggestions ?

I have plenty of experience with the centerfire AR platform, large and small frame, so this would be mostly as a fun plinker and for small game work for my family.

We have a few AR lowers that have some light and crisp 3# trigger pulls that would work well with a dedicated .22LR upper...

Thanks in advance,

Vic in the Granite State.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 3:53:39 PM EDT
[#1]
TACCOM Upper

Black Dog Mags

MAHA
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 3:56:29 PM EDT
[#2]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

TACCOM Upper

Black Dog Mags

MAHA
View Quote
+1 on the Black Dog mags...

Link Posted: 7/17/2014 4:44:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Any other suggestions...?
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 4:46:17 PM EDT
[#4]
CMMG uppers are nice, but I run a Chiappa which most would frown upon...
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 4:48:37 PM EDT
[#5]
A complete M&P 15-22 would be well within your budget. From what I've seen, there is no AR22 setup that is more reliable. Those 15-22 mags are rock solid compared to the other offerings. Boonie Packer makes an adapter that allows you to use 15-22 mags in AR22 setups with CMMG bolts, but those are not foolproof from a friend's experience.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 5:01:49 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
A complete M&P 15-22 would be well within your budget. From what I've seen, there is no AR22 setup that is more reliable. Those 15-22 mags are rock solid compared to the other offerings. Boonie Packer makes an adapter that allows you to use 15-22 mags in AR22 setups with CMMG bolts, but those are not foolproof from a friend's experience.
View Quote

Do they sell a complete upper or do you have to buy a whole new rifle (my guess is a whole new rifle)?
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 5:07:35 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Do they sell a complete upper or do you have to buy a whole new rifle (my guess is a whole new rifle)?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You need to purchase the entire rifle as the upper will not mount on a "regular" AR lower...

Link Posted: 7/17/2014 5:26:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You need to purchase the entire rifle as the upper will not mount on a "regular" AR lower...  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah I was afraid of that, too bad though...
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 5:31:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I have used 15-22 mags in CMMG uppers with no adapter, in fact they are the best choice of magazine in my opinion.

At least that's how I remember it back when you could buy 22LR.

The 15-22 is a good option because it puts an end to that "I'm wasting an AR-15 lower on a 22LR, better get a spare 5.56 upper just in case" spiral.

They are great guns, especially suppressed.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 5:35:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Looks like (so far anyway) a choice between TACCOM and my friends (Mark P's) Super Match LW .22lr Upper at CA...Unfortunately TACCOM is not building
any new uppers for almost another month...Hhhmmm.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 6:02:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Have a DPMS bull that's got 5k+ rounds through it without a hickup.  Only complaint is they don't sell spare parts for the BCG.

Black Dog mags with stainless feed lips work great w/ the DPMS.
Link Posted: 7/17/2014 9:10:55 PM EDT
[#12]
I have run several. CMMG uppers with stainless bolt. No issues ever.

By the way... 25-30 rounds is standard capacity... Anything more like Black Dogs 50 round drum is high capacity. Don't feed into the libtard labeling.
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 4:20:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Yeah.......we got caught with our pants down on uppers. Hit our order point and then we had a run on them.......big OOPS there!!! So in the mean time, we are sitting back doing some learning, looking at the market and either have or will come out with some really cool stuff.

But, it's only 4 more weeks.

But if you gotta have now......you can either build up a Franken upper, or do the DPMS thing (if you can find them).......they run a Ruger 10/22 extractor BTW and someone is making an uber light tension barrel for them now.  

Tim
Link Posted: 7/18/2014 5:28:29 PM EDT
[#14]
CMMG and Black Dog mags, I have a CMMG lt wt pencil barrel upper that has been near perfect. Had some failures the first 100rnds but after that it's been perfect.
Link Posted: 7/19/2014 8:07:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
TACCOM Upper

Black Dog Mags

MAHA
View Quote

If you look for a CMMG, my advise would be to get an older one with stainless BCG. Not the new version with a brass fitting.

Dave N
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 4:16:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

This. For way under 600 you could get a 15-22 and some spare mags. I have one with a SIG red dot on it and it has been uber reliable.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 9:48:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Nordic, DMPS, or JP
all 3 run a Nordic bolt
I have a JP and at the last 2 gun match my rifle was the only one that didn't have some kind of problem
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 3:13:35 PM EDT
[#18]
The DPMS I tested was extremely reliable and had great accuracy.
Too bad they became all but extinct again.

Dave N
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 5:02:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Can anyone recommend the TACCOM BCG?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 2:53:37 AM EDT
[#20]
Definitely!

The Taccom BCG comes with the reliability kit installed.
Nickel plated and made in the U.S.

Dave N
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 9:58:35 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Nordic, DMPS, or JP
all 3 run a Nordic bolt
I have a JP and at the last 2 gun match my rifle was the only one that didn't have some kind of problem
View Quote

Any extra Info. on the Nordic and JP versions...?
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:47:18 AM EDT
[#22]
My recommendation:
http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_15/652208_TacCom_Tracker_AR_22_upper_report.html

And it IS a recommendation!
TacCom & Black Dog.
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 4:42:59 AM EDT
[#23]
I have a factory built 10.5" CMMG upper (had the barrel cut) and a 4.5" Taccom barreled/bolt upper I built myself.

The CMMG eats ANYTHING and runs like a sewing machine.

The Taccom can be finicky with certain ammo.  It hates Golden Bullets.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:55:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

This place has a few available @ $338. Dpms-BA22 bull barrel

Edit 7-28; they now only have (7) in stock and they raised the price to $375 from $338.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 11:53:22 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Boy that looks like a pretty decent deal...I think I will take it, the only thing that concerns me is the possible reliability/durability Issues
with the DPMS version (long term anyway), but then again for the price it may be worth taking the plunge...I see some guys have said
the reliability of the new dedicated .22LR DPMS version can be quite good so that helps me feel better about the possible purchase...

Thanks again fellas for all your great Input on this subject...possibly down the road I will be looking at a dedicated .22LR pistol version,
we just scored some (I can't believe how difficult it is to get .22 LR ammo) 40gr. Eley Tenex Match/Club Ammo, hopefully it will have
enough velocity to cycle a semi-auto action (It is advertised as 1,085 fps.). If it does not function the action then I will have to put it up
on equipment exchange (One Brick).

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 4:07:25 PM EDT
[#26]
I went the build route with taccom upper and barrel. Still waiting on the bolt so can't comment on reliability yet but it was a fun build and very happy with it as of now.

Link Posted: 7/27/2014 5:36:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I went the build route with taccom upper and barrel. Still waiting on the bolt so can't comment on reliability yet but it was a fun build and very happy with it as of now.
<a href="http://s.photobucket.com/user/02blackws679ta/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20140727_123856_RichtoneHDR_zpsy0ea4qu1.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/02blackws679ta/Mobile%20Uploads/20140727_123856_RichtoneHDR_zpsy0ea4qu1.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s.photobucket.com/user/02blackws679ta/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20140726_131458_RichtoneHDR_1_zps4sswqe7s.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v228/02blackws679ta/Mobile%20Uploads/20140726_131458_RichtoneHDR_1_zps4sswqe7s.jpg</a>
View Quote

Great looking set-up, enjoy.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 8:32:21 PM EDT
[#28]
I have a JPNC22 that is a bit out of your price range but is extremely accurate and reliable. See the receiver and bolt are made buy Nordic and there proprietary bolt is loosely based off Ruger 10/22 bolt which we all know is reliable. DMPS uses Nordics upper and bolt too and anyone who has a JP or DMPS upper will tell you there guns are more reliable than any Cenier (spelling) operating systems. Check out this http://www.midwayusa.com/product/717600/dpms-ar-15-a3-flat-top-conversion-upper-assembly-22-long-rifle-1-in-16-twist-16-bull-barrel-chrome-moly-matte-with-free-float-handguard-10-round-magazine ...... its well within your price range and you can also get an M4 style if you want to go that way.
Link Posted: 7/28/2014 1:43:41 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I have a JPNC22 that is a bit out of your price range but is extremely accurate and reliable. See the receiver and bolt are made buy Nordic and there proprietary bolt is loosely based off Ruger 10/22 bolt which we all know is reliable. DMPS uses Nordics upper and bolt too and anyone who has a JP or DMPS upper will tell you there guns are more reliable than any Cenier (spelling) operating systems. Check out this http://www.midwayusa.com/product/717600/dpms-ar-15-a3-flat-top-conversion-upper-assembly-22-long-rifle-1-in-16-twist-16-bull-barrel-chrome-moly-matte-with-free-float-handguard-10-round-magazine ...... its well within your price range and you can also get an M4 style if you want to go that way.
View Quote

That's pretty much the same exact set-up that was just purchased...hope it works well and is accurate.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 2:30:57 PM EDT
[#30]
Got the recommended newest melonited version of the 16.5" Bull Barelled DPMS .22LR (dedicated complete upper) that the hive has said was a winner at a good price...
Pics to follow as well as a short review/field report in the days and weeks to come...Thanks to all those here that made suggestions and had given their Input.
Link Posted: 8/2/2014 3:28:21 PM EDT
[#31]
i have the core 15 upper and it shoots great, bought it for 328.00 when they had there meltdown specials.
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 1:04:21 PM EDT
[#32]
I don't know if you got mags yet but PSA has S&W 15-22 mags for $12.99 and free shipping today for orders over $100.

Link Posted: 8/4/2014 9:23:08 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
I don't know if you got mags yet but PSA has S&W 15-22 mags for $12.99 and free shipping today for orders over $100.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/index.php/s-w-m-p15-22-magazine-22-lr-25rd.html

View Quote

Are they compatible with the recommended black dog mags that come with the DPMS complete upper...?
Link Posted: 8/5/2014 9:32:19 AM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Are they compatible with the recommended black dog mags that come with the DPMS complete upper...?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I would have thought so but it appears that they may not be.

As the mags are slightly smaller, you need to use a "Redi Mag" adapter, available here:

While I know the S&W mags will work with CMMG, the product description from the above link says it does not work with DPMS.  Sorry.

The advantage of using the S&W mags is that they are easier to load, very reliable, and the bolt hold open when empty works properly.

Link Posted: 8/6/2014 7:39:39 AM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

As the mags are slightly smaller, you need to use a "Redi Mag" adapter, available here:

http://www.redi-mag.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=52

While I know the S&W mags will work with CMMG, the product description from the above link says it does not work with DPMS.  Sorry.

The advantage of using the S&W mags is that they are easier to load, very reliable, and the bolt hold open when empty works properly.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.redi-mag.com/index.php?l=product_detail&p=52

Bummer, looks like a great attachment option for use with the S&W .22LR Mags...Hopefully, either the Redi-Mag folks or Black Dog Machine
will come out with one that will work with the newer DPMS and Tac-Sol dedicated uppers...

Thanks.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top