Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/9/2014 2:10:18 PM EDT
Here's what I'm think of going with so far:

1. TACCOM .22LR Bolt Assembly
2. TACCOM Stripped 2RF Upper
3. Stainless Steel .22LR Barrel Collar Assembly
4. Handguard- undecided (dependent on barrel length)
5. either a CMMG or Beyer barrel

How does this setup look? Any compatibility issues? I will be using the Silencerco Sparrow SS suppressor which should be approved anytime now. Do I need to make any modifications

Questions regarding the barrel choice:

I'm undecided on length as well as brand. CMMG has a 4.5" and in the description it states it has "o-ring engagement" that is made just for suppressor use. What does that mean? Is it a better choice since I will be running the Sparrow SS? To be honest, I'm leaning more towards the Beyer 7.5", but if "o-ring engagement" is an advantage I'll go with the CMMG 4.5". If I decide to go with Beyer, would I need any modifications to make the Sparrow SS fit? Beyer states their barrels use 1/2-28 TPI muzzle threads.

I've read of folks using thread adapters..in particular the Silencerco 1/2-28 to 1/2-28 thread adapter. It also features "o-ring engagement". I'm guessing I would use this adapter if I went with the Beyer since it's not integrated in the design like it is with the CMMG?
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 2:26:29 PM EDT
[#1]
If you are go with the Taccom bolt, I would say just get a completed upper from them. My recommendation would be to go w/ the 4.5" barrel because it supposedly keeps bulk pack subsonic. I ordered their 4.5" steel barreled upper and am happy with it. One thing to think about is which magazines you will be using with it. If you're going with Black Dog magazines you will be good to go. As far as rail go, I think the Troy 7.2" Alpha rail goes great w/ the 4.5" barrel. I'll update my post with a picture once I get mine all put together. Another option if you go with the longer barrel is the black diamond vrs rail. They are a little heavier but I really like the look on them.
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 4:08:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you are go with the Taccom bolt, I would say just get a completed upper from them. My recommendation would be to go w/ the 4.5" barrel because it supposedly keeps bulk pack subsonic. I ordered their 4.5" steel barreled upper and am happy with it. One thing to think about is which magazines you will be using with it. If you're going with Black Dog magazines you will be good to go. As far as rail go, I think the Troy 7.2" Alpha rail goes great w/ the 4.5" barrel. I'll update my post with a picture once I get mine all put together. Another option if you go with the longer barrel is the black diamond vrs rail. They are a little heavier but I really like the look on them.
View Quote

Taccom has altered their bolts so that you can used a "better mag" block and 15/22 S&W mags now if you want
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 9:37:02 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I'm undecided on length as well as brand. CMMG has a 4.5" and in the description it states it has "o-ring engagement" that is made just for suppressor use. What does that mean? Is it a better choice since I will be running the Sparrow SS? To be honest, I'm leaning more towards the Beyer 7.5", but if "o-ring engagement" is an advantage I'll go with the CMMG 4.5". If I decide to go with Beyer, would I need any modifications to make the Sparrow SS fit? Beyer states their barrels use 1/2-28 TPI muzzle threads.
I've read of folks using thread adapters..in particular the Silencerco 1/2-28 to 1/2-28 thread adapter. It also features "o-ring engagement". I'm guessing I would use this adapter if I went with the Beyer since it's not integrated in the design like it is with the CMMG?
View Quote

The o-ring engagement is a flat section at the end of the threading that allows for a rubber o-ring (internal to the can's threading) to push up against and help seal the mounting surface between can and barrel.  

Theoretically it helps prevent build up in the threads and keeps the can from unthreading while shooting.  I have a 4.5 CMMG bbl w/ o-ring engagement in my dedicated upper and it seems to work fine.  I've also shot the sparrow with 22lr pistols w/ out the engagement and after a few mags I did have to tighten it down by hand (I don't remember having to do this with my dedicated upper).  I don't recall if it made a difference on the thread crud....if it did it wasn't significant enough for me to notice.  I think it's a nice feature but not absolutely necessary.  

Having the engagement might prevent the sparrow's o-ring from getting torn up on the threads on a bbl threaded all the way to the end. I got one of the adapters for a bolt action marlin for this reason.  That host was also was threaded ~.600" long (common on 5.56 hosts) instead of ~.400" long (common on 22lr hosts).  I believe the sparrow is designed for .400" thread length, so I use the adapter with a spacer to ensure proper shoulder contact/alignment.

Link Posted: 7/10/2014 11:12:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Another thing to think about, is length. The cmmg 4.5 barrel is nice, but under a 7 inch free float rail, with a 5 inch suppressor, it is barely going to stick out, probably about 1/4 of an inch, which makes taking off a sparrow hard. You can get an adapter from silencerco that puts the suppressor out another half an inch, so you can take it off better. IMHO. Which to me makes the cmmg o-ring engagement worthless. The Taccom barrel 4.5 inch with collar and silencerco adapter, I believe would be cheaper than a Cmmg with collar, and silencerco adapter, without throwing out pricing.
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 1:39:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Another thing to think about, is length. The cmmg 4.5 barrel is nice, but under a 7 inch free float rail, with a 5 inch suppressor, it is barely going to stick out, probably about 1/4 of an inch, which makes taking off a sparrow hard. You can get an adapter from silencerco that puts the suppressor out another half an inch, so you can take it off better. IMHO. Which to me makes the cmmg o-ring engagement worthless. The Taccom barrel 4.5 inch with collar and silencerco adapter, I believe would be cheaper than a Cmmg with collar, and silencerco adapter, without throwing out pricing.
View Quote

What length rail would you recommend with the 4.5" barrel?
Link Posted: 7/10/2014 4:52:16 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

4" TACCOM ULW barrel + 7" Noveske NSR hand guard + SilencerCo 1/2x28 to 1/2x28 adapter + SilencerCo Sparrow SS suppressor =

Edit: Added details

Link Posted: 7/10/2014 5:00:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Wow! That looks absolutely amazing. I guess the key is the adapter for the added length no matter if you need it or not. What rail is that?

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

4" barrel + 7" hand guard + 1/2x28 to 1/2x28 adapter + suppressor =

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-YoxVcs3_CwY/U2XISMdOryI/AAAAAAAA6EY/Rh4k3cte5AY/w1872-h1385-no/IMG_20140323_214505.jpg
https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-a1AyPA0GSSE/U2XISJSAqjI/AAAAAAAA6EY/20ghNf4Uk5I/w1872-h1385-no/IMG_20140323_115224.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-cQj8Fiwd83k/U253LDP4HJI/AAAAAAAA63Y/GYj5dPIALTM/w1872-h1385-no/IMG_20140510_145744.jpg

Link Posted: 7/10/2014 7:47:14 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Wow! That looks absolutely amazing. I guess the key is the adapter for the added length no matter if you need it or not. What rail is that?
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

4" barrel + 7" hand guard + 1/2x28 to 1/2x28 adapter + suppressor =

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-YoxVcs3_CwY/U2XISMdOryI/AAAAAAAA6EY/Rh4k3cte5AY/w1872-h1385-no/IMG_20140323_214505.jpg

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-a1AyPA0GSSE/U2XISJSAqjI/AAAAAAAA6EY/20ghNf4Uk5I/w1872-h1385-no/IMG_20140323_115224.jpg

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-cQj8Fiwd83k/U253LDP4HJI/AAAAAAAA63Y/GYj5dPIALTM/w1872-h1385-no/IMG_20140510_145744.jpg

Yup, the adapter gets you the extra needed length. An added bonus is that if you run a SilencerCo suppressor, the adapter is machined properly for the o-right built into the can. It keeps the threads clean and that is a big deal when you are talking about the filthy .22LR round.

The hand guard is a Noveske NSR7.

Link Posted: 7/10/2014 9:14:07 PM EDT
[#9]
The adapter adds about 1/2".  What a 4.5 looks like with an nsr 7.

Link Posted: 7/12/2014 5:05:58 AM EDT
[#10]
Barrel and thread adaptor are the same as PFran42's and the handguard is also a 7" version. My Spectre II is a little under 1" longer than his Sparrow but I think the 7" NSR must be a little longer than the 7 UTG Pro Super Slim.
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 6:33:30 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View Quote

I don't get how you have the same rail, suppressor and adapter as me and your suppressor appears to stick out of the rail the same as mine, yet I have a 4" barrel? What brand adapter are you running? ...or are you not running an adapter?
Link Posted: 7/12/2014 6:39:40 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't get how you have the same rail, suppressor and adapter as me and your suppressor appears to stick out of the rail the same as mine, yet I have a 4" barrel? What brand adapter are you running?

I'm not running an adapter on that firearm, it's the same CMMG 4.5" bbl mentioned by the OP with the sparrow direct attached.

Link Posted: 7/12/2014 7:26:47 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I don't get how you have the same rail, suppressor and adapter as me and your suppressor appears to stick out of the rail the same as mine, yet I have a 4" barrel? What brand adapter are you running?

I'm not running an adapter on that firearm, it's the same CMMG 4.5" bbl mentioned by the OP with the sparrow direct attached.

Gotcha... Thanks for clearing that up for me!
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 3:57:01 AM EDT
[#14]
How difficult is it to take the Sparrow SS on and off under the rail?

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
http://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/af316/beanfield2/20131229_123923_RichtoneHDR_zpssad6qk5t.jpg

Link Posted: 7/13/2014 5:07:41 AM EDT
[#15]
I would recommend the taccom 4" upper.  Just get it complete and be done with it.  a 7" handgaurd is also what I think is the way to go.  Mine is a hunter town guardian, but I am going to pick up a sparrow at some point.

Getting the can off is a piece of cake.

Link Posted: 7/13/2014 8:55:53 AM EDT
[#16]
Like TeeRex, I've not had any issues with removing and attaching the can.  Easy.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 9:19:12 AM EDT
[#17]
Taccom cf barrel, Viking tactics 7", swr spectre

Link Posted: 7/13/2014 9:49:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Below is a TACCOM 4" barrel, with a Silencero 1/2x28-1/2x28 adapter, a Sparrow and a Samson 7" rail:

Link Posted: 7/13/2014 9:55:18 AM EDT
[#19]
I love all these fine examples. I appreciate it fellas. So it looks like if I go with the CMMG 4.5" bbl I won't really need the adapter.

So, it looks like it's down to either the CMMG or Beyer barrel. How is the quality on the CMMG? I already know the Beyer is excellent.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 11:05:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Whichever one you pick keep it under 4.5 so you can use bulk pack ammo and keep it subsonic
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 3:01:40 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

http://i1019.photobucket.com/albums/af316/beanfield2/20131229_123923_RichtoneHDR_zpssad6qk5t.jpg

Stupid easy.

Link Posted: 7/14/2014 7:28:45 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

I love all these fine examples. I appreciate it fellas. So it looks like if I go with the CMMG 4.5" bbl I won't really need the adapter.

So, it looks like it's down to either the CMMG or Beyer barrel. How is the quality on the CMMG? I already know the Beyer is excellent.
View Quote

No issues to speak of on the CMMG.  Shoots accurately.
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 9:12:21 AM EDT
[#23]
As far as distance and accuracy. What can I expect in 4.5" vs 7.5" barrel lengths?
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 7:12:11 PM EDT
[#24]
My 7" is a tack driver. My 4" isn't as accurate but still is effective on bunnies.

I just finished this today.

4" steel TACCOM barrel with a MI SS gen2 7" ff rail. Inside is my Huntertown Kestrel 22

MAHA
Link Posted: 7/26/2014 11:20:03 AM EDT
[#25]
Here's my submission.

Specs:
Spikes lower
4.5 inch Spikes Tactical barreled upper
Midwest Industries SS Gen2 hand guard
SWR Spectre silencer
Nordic Components Sliding Wire Stock
Bushnell 1-4x scope
Burris PEPR
Inforce light

CSF

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top