AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/5/2014 6:20:16 PM EDT
My conversion kit is marked:

.22 L.R. CONVERSION
    FOR M16/AR15
           COLT
HARTFORD, CONN., U.S.A.

I bought it with one Colt magazine which only holds 9 rounds.

Will the "Blackdog AR-15 .22 Gen 4 X-Form w/ Stainless Steel Feed Lips" mags function with this kit?

Was this actually made by Colt or did they farm it out to a contractor?

Any tips or cautions as to its use would be appreciated before I take it to the range.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/5/2014 6:41:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Blackdog mags don't work. Sold my Colt conversion for that reason. Not sure if Colt was the manufacturer.
Link Posted: 7/13/2014 11:09:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Black Dog Machine makes one high capacity magazine to fit the Colt/DPMS style bolt 22 conversion kits and dedicated rifles.  I just checked and this magazine is out of stock.  I have two of these mags which work with my Colt 22 conversion and gen I DPMS dedicated 16" bull barrel upper.

http://blackdogmachinellc.net/3rd-generation---metal-feed-lip-magazine-for-ar15-22-conversions-1.aspx
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 9:49:55 AM EDT
[#3]
Well, no luck finding any Black Dog mags for my Colt conversion kit.

I did take it to the range with my one Colt mag and my AR-15 Sporter 1.  Inconsistent ignition and inconsistent ejection.

Besides a thorough cleaning and lube, any suggestions?

Any tricks to cleaning it properly?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:20:34 AM EDT
[#4]
If your having failure to fire and the bolt is completely closed you may have an issue with the hammer.  Some conversions will not work with notched hammers.  Some conversion require a smart blow from the hammer which some match and non standard hammers provide.   It is always a good idea to inspect the firing pin.  A broken firing pin will cause erratic ignition.  The Colt Conv. uses a two piece firing pin.  There is a floating hour glass shaped piece along with a firing pin shaft with rounded base.

If the conversion fits loosely in the upper the slop can cause function problem,  the TACCOM3 plug was designed to eliminate this problem.  If you having any binding between the conversion bolt and the hammer or bolt catch can also contribute to poor function.  Most conversion require High Velocity ammo and can be picky.  Remington ammo is notorious for failing to fire even with good firing pin dents.  

Failure to feed may be attributed to a bad magazines or weak ammo.  My Colt magazine holds 10 rounds so you might take your magazine apart and inspect it.  You didn't mention if the kit was new or used when you received it.   If the kit is new it might take time to wear in but I've noticed it helps to lube both guide rods and to run the kit wet with CLP.  With good ammo and magazine my Colt conversion is a reliable performer.
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 10:33:31 AM EDT
[#5]
This is not a very good picture but this is a Colt 22 LR conversion and magazine.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 11:17:56 AM EDT
[#6]
Here are some pictures of the Colt Conversion bolt compared to the DPMS Dedicated upper bolt for the 22 LR AR-15.

" target="_blank">

Here, is a picture of the Colt and DPMS 10 round factory magazines.  Notice the alignment tab on the top front of the Colt mag which has a corresponding recess in the Colt Chamber insert.

Here is the photo of the BDM Colt/DPMS 30 round mag, notice the fixed ejector incorporated to the inside feed lip like the factory mags.

Link Posted: 7/24/2014 6:44:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Several years ago, someone posted that they converted DPMS mags to use with the Colt conversion unit. Don't know if the DPMS mags are available any more and you still have a low capacity mag if successful. I'd sell the Colt unit to a collector and buy a conversion that uses blackdog mags.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top