Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/25/2014 8:27:17 PM EDT
I have been contemplating two different brands for my next build which will be my first dedicated 22 upper.

I am torn between
1: CMMG Barrel and Bolt Group Kit, 4.5" MT 4140CM, 22LR here

2: Taccom - 4" Tensioned, Ultra Light and a Taccom bolt

Which one would do you guys recommend?

I know I need the Better Mag Adapter to run the S&W Mags but not sure I want to do the mod that seems required to make it work with the Taccom bolt, anyone have any experience doing that?

Here are my specs for the build so far
- Quentin Defense Lower SBR already have stamp
- Better Mag Adapter
- Quentin Defense Upper
- Probably going with a NSR 7 or MCSR 7
- Silencerco Sparrow with the extension
- TACCOM Pressure Plug
- I want to run S&W mags

Thanks in advance for any feedback
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 3:36:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Whatever this is worth we have CMMG stainless Bolts in both our dedicated uppers and they have been great. One of our uppers has the ULW barrels and one the CMMG barrel. I like the ULW barrel slightly better than the CMMG one. Lighter and maybe a slight edge in the ULW barrel as far as accuracy.

Ours both work great with the SW adapter, really like the SW mags..

So I guess I would suggest CMMG bolt and Taccom barrel.  Nothing wrong with the CMMG barrel. Like it too, just like the light weight of the ULW. That would not be so much of a issue for you in such a short barrel though anyway.
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 3:53:39 AM EDT
[#2]
All I can tell you is I am extremely happy with my taccom set up. I have a light weight barrel and am considering doing another one with the steel barrel.  I think the 4" is a slightly better length.

Either way that set up will be a ton of fun.  It is one of my favorite guns to shoot.
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 3:56:24 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a 4.5 CMMG, barrel and bolt. No hiccups.
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 4:44:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Taccom also has a 4" all steel barrel.
I have one set up I'm shooting tomorrow.

I recommend Taccom for reliability, accuracy, customer service, and being all U.S. parts.

Dave N
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 5:02:25 AM EDT
[#5]
I have them both, but I am only using one at the time. Right now, I have the Taccom 4". with silencerco adaptor 1/2-28 to 1/2-28, all under a Midwest 7" rail. To use with a sparrow. I have the CMMG 4" with the O ring cut for Sparrow, also. The quality of the CMMG is awesome, its a good looking barrel, the threads look really good and if you don't have a problem with your silencer barley sticking out of a 7" free float rail, then go for it. I like my silencer to stick out a little more, and in order to do that you would have to stick a silencerco adapter on, which defeats the purpose of the O-ring cut on CMMG, with a sparrow. The Taccom is the same, with sparrow, that is why I have adaptor on now!!
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 7:24:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys I think I am going to do the Taccom barrel and the CMMG bolt, should I get the reliability bundle from taccom, is it needed? I am definitely getting the  Pressure plug and if nothing else it might be good to have a spare firing pin.

Just noticed Taccom is a 4 week lead time on the ULW 4" is that still the case?

I also did plan on getting the extender for the Sparrow, just to get it sticking out a little further for good measure.
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 8:58:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

Give Tim a call and ask him about his actual lead times. When I ordered my barrel, bolt, and various other small items, I think his lead times were listed as 4 weeks. I told myself it didn't matter because of Tim's stellar reputation for customer service and the quality of his parts, but I just couldn't help it and called anyway. Tim said that at that time he was actually at less than 1 week, and true to his word, my parts shipped in 3 days. I couldn't be happier with all of my Taccom parts and with the friendly, fast service.
Link Posted: 5/26/2014 11:14:50 AM EDT
[#8]
I ordered a taccom 4" barrel a while ago, on the site it stated 4 week lead time, but it shipped out within 3 days after placing the order, surprised me.
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 4:04:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Thanks guys I think I am going to do the Taccom barrel and the CMMG bolt, should I get the reliability bundle from taccom, is it needed? I am definitely getting the  Pressure plug and if nothing else it might be good to have a spare firing pin.

I also did plan on getting the extender for the Sparrow, just to get it sticking out a little further for good measure.
View Quote

We have Taccoms firing pin in one, CMMG in the other. Both pins have worked fine for us. Also have the pressure plug too. The pin and the plug are nice items from Taccom.

Just get the Taccom pin and you will still have a spare with the CMMG. Good to have a backup one anyway..
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 5:32:25 AM EDT
[#10]
If you go with a CMMG BCG, I personally would look for an older stainless version.

I'm using Taccom's bcg in my builds now. Very reliable, nickel plated, backed by Taccom's great customer service, comes with the reliability kit installed. And it cost less.

Dave N
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 7:18:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Taccom is selling the better mag with the modification to work with his bolt and the 15-22 mags. The only thing his won't do is full auto if you have a registered reciever.
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 7:55:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Taccom is selling the better mag with the modification to work with his bolt and the 15-22 mags. The only thing his won't do is full auto if you have a registered reciever.
View Quote

I looked for the mod first and could only find where it states no longer available with a link that shows the mod, I am sure if I wanted to I could no it just not sure if I want to go through the trouble, especially if the CMMG is just as good

How old of a CMMG bolt should I look for?
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 1:45:57 PM EDT
[#13]
Tim is not selling the better mag and S & W mags any more due to S & W mags feed lips causing issues. Seems the specs are off a little.
Mine runs fine, Tims runs fine, and most others do. Recently there have been issues with the bolts dragging on the S & W feed lips. BDM mags run fine. So we know it's the S & W mags.

So far as the CMMG stainless bolt, get the pre brass bushing model. I would get the stainless conversion with chamber adapter. Then you have a conversion for your 5.56.
Taccom barrels come with a fitted collar that will exchange with the chamber adapter.

Dave N
Link Posted: 5/27/2014 4:34:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for the input everyone I ended up emailing Taccom, they are going to mod the Better Mag Adapter for me so I ordered the Taccom Bolt, 4" ULW Barrel and Pressure plug.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 3:54:23 AM EDT
[#15]
You will enjoy it.
I just went to the range yesterday with the 4". Never missed a shot.
All I had was Winchester 550 at 25 yards, rapid fire and a red dot.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 8:43:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Got a 4" barrel and conversion bolt from Taccom a few days ago. Put it together with a 7" rail and my Spectre suppressor. Worked 100% for 200rds that I had time to shoot. Super accurate and I couldn't ask for more.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 7:49:34 PM EDT
[#17]
All set on the bolt and barrel, now I just need e-Forms to come back up so I can order up the Sparrow, I figure I will give them until June 15th or so then just paper file. Still trying to decide between a NSR 7 or a Seekins MCSR 7 rail though, I just put a 10.5 5.56 barrel with a 10" Seekins MCSR and I couldn't be happier, but I really like the NSR also
Link Posted: 7/23/2014 1:39:23 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Taccom barrels come with a fitted collar that will exchange with the chamber adapter.
View Quote

Anyone seen any issues with the Taccom (Velocity Firearms) adapter barrel collar versus the CMMG adapter barrel collar?
Link Posted: 7/24/2014 7:22:11 PM EDT
[#19]
If the CMMG adapter has the brass fitting I don't recommend it.
If you can find one of the original stainless CMMG chamber adapters, that's what I use.
I wasn't aware of Taccom selling chamber adapters.

Dave N
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 5:19:29 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Dave N
View Quote

OFFICIALLY?.....NO.

Do we have some if you really wanted one? YES......bad news is, they are not cheap......Like $35.00, which is the main reason why we are not listing them and we only have about 10 of them.

Tim
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 6:25:18 AM EDT
[#21]
I don't see a chamber adapter available on CMMG's web site.
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 7:24:35 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Barrel Collar Assembly

With barrel.....

From their site......The NEW 4" AR15 22LR Pistol barrel is machined from
chrome-moly vanadium steel, manganese phosphate finished and
comes with a Velocity Firearms Nickel Plated barrel collar.

Link Posted: 7/25/2014 8:17:54 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

With barrel.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

With barrel.....

That's a barrel collar for a dedicated barrel, not a chamber adapter for a 5.56 barrel, which is this:
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 8:22:32 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

That's a barrel collar for a dedicated barrel, not a chamber adapter for a 5.56 barrel
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

With barrel.....

That's a barrel collar for a dedicated barrel, not a chamber adapter for a 5.56 barrel

Oops....my mistake. I mixed up the terms. You are right.

CMMG Parts Page
Link Posted: 7/25/2014 1:09:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Wow! Those prices went out of sight.
Link Posted: 7/27/2014 9:35:26 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Wow! Those prices went out of sight.
View Quote

Holy.............

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top