Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/23/2014 7:37:06 PM EDT
Everyone always says that the S&W 15-22 mags were the best so I bought 10 of them

I talked to Tim today from Taccom and he said BlackDogs are better as there have been feed lip & reliability issues with the 15-22's and he won't have anything to do with them and only stocks the BlackDogs.

So what does The Hive say?  Now I regret buying 10 15-22 mags lol

I'm going to keep them and see how they perform since I already bought them.  I plan on getting the McFadden Speed Loader with the 15-22 adapter.
Link Posted: 5/23/2014 8:59:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I prefer my 15-22 mags. They have been 100% reliable with my 22 build as well as my S&W 15-22.
Link Posted: 5/23/2014 9:09:16 PM EDT
[#2]
SW ones we have work 100% perfect. I see no problems personally and have never heard of any elsewhere. Great Mags. Everyone I have seen anyway, love the 15-22 mags.

Actually got rid of our CMMG and Black Dog mags to buy the SW ones. We did keep the two 50 round Black Dog drums though. Those are great.
Link Posted: 5/24/2014 12:56:31 AM EDT
[#3]
I really like the 15-22 mags with the Better Mag adapter.  Reliability has been excellent.

That said - I have a bunch of BDMs and Ciener and CMMG mags and will continue to use them.

YMMV
Link Posted: 5/24/2014 1:12:21 AM EDT
[#4]
I wonder why Tim sells the Better-Mag adapter then?

I've had them all and the S&W mags coupled with the Better-Mag adapter is hands-down the best thing going right now if you want the AR15 full manual of arms.
Link Posted: 5/24/2014 1:37:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Just finished my .22 build with the "Better Mag Adapter" and S and W mags.  She runs flawlessly, however I have not tried the Black Dogs so I do have a slight bias.  I am running a CMMG bolt kit with the Taccom reliability kit in it.
Link Posted: 5/24/2014 2:04:55 AM EDT
[#6]
My daughter started shooting last Summer with a 15-22.
Since she was shooting mostly from the bench she used a short 10 round 15-22 mag.
I HAD a good stockpile of 22 and she burned through brick after brick after brick.

That poor short 10 round mag saw a world of use.
No issues.

Yes you ought to clean it every 3 or 4 thousand rounds  but that's just part of shooting 22s.

Link Posted: 5/24/2014 4:20:12 AM EDT
[#7]
I have used/tested BDM since their beginnings. CMMG also. I have so many now I can't see any need to change.
I know you have BHO with the adapter and S&W Mags but I don't really need that, if you do that's the way to go.
BDM has Billet Aluminum Mags, they're expensive but will last several lifetimes. Their newer steel feed lip mags
with nylon bodies will do the same. Preferences/choices make the world go round though. If I needed magazines, I'd
try the S&W's

Note: the earliest full bodied BDM and CMMG Mags that I have are at about 20,000 rounds a piece and just now showing
wear on the feed lips. The bodies of some of the BDM's cracked at the feed lip area but were replaced FOC. CMMG's
Mags have had their revision difficulties but the same is true of replacements. Lifetime Replacement.

Dave S

Link Posted: 5/24/2014 4:26:54 AM EDT
[#8]
No issues with the 15-22 mags in the 15-22. They run flawlessly.
Link Posted: 5/24/2014 6:22:13 AM EDT
[#9]
TACCOM no longer sells the Better Mag Adapter......and it's not that the better mag adapter is bad, actually, it works great!! And we will support it.....even modify anyone's FOC to work with our bolt assy.

Been getting calls on the S&W feed lips dragging on the bottom of the bolt.....I've personally not had the problem, but others have. This tells me that there is something inconsistent with something. And in the same case....the Black Dog's work fine.

At any rate.....I really can't afford to put the resources towards something that I have no control over. Especially since the the BD X-forms work so darn well and that there is finally an inexpensive magazine loader out there for them (that we do carry).

Really do not know where the problem is.....if it is the magazine, the adapter, our bolt, etc. All I do know is that everything is fine with the Black Dog product......so we have to go that route. We are all about reliability and as much as the S&W are reliable....we feel that the the BDM's are just a step above.

Tim
Link Posted: 5/25/2014 8:23:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Just remember, to keep solvents away from the older models.

The plastic feed lips will tend to crack.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 5:17:47 PM EDT
[#11]
My S&W mags with taccom barrel, bolt, better mag adapter don't work.  I have about 30 mags and two other MP 15-22s so it kinda sucks that they don't work with the 4" pistol build. I've tried everything I can think of and now its time for filing and sanding.
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 5:34:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My S&W mags with taccom barrel, bolt, better mag adapter don't work.  I have about 30 mags and two other MP 15-22s so it kinda sucks that they don't work with the 4" pistol build. I've tried everything I can think of and now its time for filing and sanding.
View Quote

You modified the bolt per taccoms instruction?
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 8:11:51 PM EDT
[#13]
I have several gens of CMMG mags. When it came time to buy more I tried a 10 pack of Black dog. I like them a lot. I have had no issues with them, they run in all my TACCOM and CMMG stuff.

MAHA
Link Posted: 5/28/2014 8:30:52 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm hoping the 15-22 mags I bought work with the CMMG barrel & boot, Better Mag & Taccom reliability kit and McFadden 15-22 speed loader

Tim I think everyone appreciates your dedication to the .22 platform, so thank you for the info and quality products and high level customer service you provide.

If the 15-22's don't work I'll make sure to get the Blackdogs.
Link Posted: 5/29/2014 11:33:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/29/2014 12:01:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I've got a ton of various BDM mags but caved and bought 8 of the S&W 15/22 mags when a LGS had them for $18.  I'll pick up a few more as time goes by and get one of the adapters some time as well to try out.  Who has the best deal on mags or adapters nowadays?
View Quote

PSA has the lowest price I've found on the 25rd SW 15-22 magazines at $14.99, and I managed to catch them on a 20% off sale ($12ea).  Temporarily out of stock right now, but you can sign up to be notified when they're back in stock.
Link Posted: 5/29/2014 1:57:33 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What are you talking about? They don't come ready to work? I bought S&W mags and the mag adapter based on TacCom recommendation. What modification do I have to do to make it work? FYI I am having some FTE issues with different loads as well. Feeding seems OK, just FTE. I was going to just buy a BD to see if it was better, but this modification makes me curious as this is the first I have heard of it.
Link Posted: 5/29/2014 3:39:34 PM EDT
[#18]
Does anyone know or has used the Catch 22, AR15, .22LR bolt catch? Would like to know if this will really work to keep the bolt open on lthe last round with BDM gen 2 mags and a TACCOM bolt? I really wanna use the 15-22 mags with a TACCOM bolt, but if there's issues with the Redi Mag adaptor then  this could be another choice or option.

Catch 22 Bolt Catch

https://www.arcatch22.com/index.html
Link Posted: 5/29/2014 4:09:17 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Does anyone know or has used the Catch 22, AR15, .22LR bolt catch? Would like to know if this will really work to keep the bolt open on lthe last round with BDM gen 2 mags and a TACCOM bolt? I really wanna use the 15-22 mags with a TACCOM bolt, but if there's issues with the Redi Mag adaptor then  this could be another choice or option.

Catch 22 Bolt Catch

http://www.arcatch22.com/index.html
View Quote

The Catch 22 sucks.
Link Posted: 5/29/2014 4:17:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Tim and I talked about the issue with the S & W mags with the Redi Mag.
Mine runs 100%. So does Tim's.
Recently some issues cropped up with the bolt dragging on the S & W feed lips.
Tim checked his bolts. Nothing wrong there. Black Dog mags run fine. If there was a bolt issue, it would show up with BD or CMMG mags.

As Tim said, he is all about reliability.

I enjoy shooting and could care less about a last round bolt hold. But some like it.

Tim will mod your Redi Mag but until the mag issue is resolved, BDM mags are and always have been the preferred mag for .22 AR's.

Dave N
Link Posted: 5/29/2014 5:18:35 PM EDT
[#21]
I've heard nothing but good things about Taccom that's why I ordered their products.  My problem is as stated the S&W mags rub the bottom right of the bolt and cause the bolt to not close. It is a mag problem from what I am told. I do not have other black dog mags to test so I will have to try those.
Link Posted: 5/29/2014 6:05:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I've heard nothing but good things about Taccom that's why I ordered their products.  My problem is as stated the S&W mags rub the bottom right of the bolt and cause the bolt to not close. It is a mag problem from what I am told. I do not have other black dog mags to test so I will have to try those.
View Quote

To be fair, S&W warrants their magazines will work with their S&W M&P 15-22 rifles, and that's the extent of liability S&W incurs.

I use the 15-22 mags with my CMMG and Ciener conversions with complete reliability.  The TACCOM is closely related, but none of those three are identical, and apparently normal variations in the 15-22 mags may be fine on the 15-22 rifles, but have some issues with, at least, the TACCOM conversion bolts.

The CMMG Gen 1, Ciener steel and Black Dog mags all work perfectly in my conversions, too, but I have chosen the 15-22 mag and Better-Mag adapter route because I want bolt hold-open functionality.  If not for the bolt hold-open, there'd be no reason at all not to use the excellent Black Dog mags, and if you don't care about bolt hold-open, then by all means use the CMMG or BD mags - they work great.
Link Posted: 5/29/2014 7:18:58 PM EDT
[#23]
The issue with the S&W magazines may have more to do with the lower than the upper. We've found some variations in the magazine catch locations that can hold the magazine slightly higher than it should be. What I would suggest is first finding out exactly where the rubbing on the magazine is taking place. It may be that only a very few thousandths of filing off the top of the particular magazine lip could make a huge difference. The plastic in the S&W magazines can be filed very cleanly with a new and sharp file. Be careful to not take off too much or it may weaken the lip or alter the feed characteristics. Work carefully and slowly and stop when the bolt moves freely.

An alternative is to shave the bottom edge of the magazine catch ledge on the left side of the magazine with an xacto knife until the desired result is achieved. Again, work slowly and carefully.

Best Regards,

Dave
Link Posted: 5/29/2014 8:25:41 PM EDT
[#24]
I am using the CMMG bolt kit with forward assist adapter and barrel collar with a CMMG barrel.  Got the Taccom reliability kit.  Then got the BP Better Mag Adapter with some S and W mags.  The bolt catch and forward assist are great options to have imho.  When I was test firing sub sonics and other rounds to see what would and would not cycle, it helped those features both helped with ftf's and some fte's as well.  I would have gone with the Taccom bolt kit but I did not want to modify the better mag adapter as much as it looked like it had to be done per Taccom's page.  Which probably isn't even all that much or hard to do.
Link Posted: 5/29/2014 8:59:23 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
The issue with the S&W magazines may have more to do with the lower than the upper. We've found some variations in the magazine catch locations that can hold the magazine slightly higher than it should be. What I would suggest is first finding out exactly where the rubbing on the magazine is taking place. It may be that only a very few thousandths of filing off the top of the particular magazine lip could make a huge difference. The plastic in the S&W magazines can be filed very cleanly with a new and sharp file. Be careful to not take off too much or it may weaken the lip or alter the feed characteristics. Work carefully and slowly and stop when the bolt moves freely.

An alternative is to shave the bottom edge of the magazine catch ledge on the left side of the magazine with an xacto knife until the desired result is achieved. Again, work slowly and carefully.

Best Regards,

Dave
View Quote

+1

I've had issues with various mag catches - just a slight dimensional difference affected functioning in some of my .22 uppers.  

Not so critical in the 5.56 platform but the .22LR units are trying to feed a small, skinny, straight cased round into an equally small chamber.

In my case, fortunately, the problems were resolved with a little touch up of the feed lips on a few of the mags - the S&W mags, so far, have not needed any work to run. Ciener steel, BDMs of various generations, CMMGs and S&W mags are now all working fine in two of my Ciener based uppers. I still need to test the S&Ws in my KKF and Kuehl uppers - both of which run perfectly with Ciener, BDM and CMMG mags.

I can see where tolerance stacking could creep up and create problems where there aren't any easy solutions.

YMMV
Link Posted: 5/30/2014 2:54:54 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

To be fair, S&W warrants their magazines will work with their S&W M&P 15-22 rifles, and that's the extent of liability S&W incurs.

I use the 15-22 mags with my CMMG and Ciener conversions with complete reliability.  The TACCOM is closely related, but none of those three are identical, and apparently normal variations in the 15-22 mags may be fine on the 15-22 rifles, but have some issues with, at least, the TACCOM conversion bolts.

The CMMG Gen 1, Ciener steel and Black Dog mags all work perfectly in my conversions, too, but I have chosen the 15-22 mag and Better-Mag adapter route because I want bolt hold-open functionality.  If not for the bolt hold-open, there'd be no reason at all not to use the excellent Black Dog mags, and if you don't care about bolt hold-open, then by all means use the CMMG or BD mags - they work great.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The last shot bolt hold open is nice but the main reason I like the SW mags is they are so nice to load and are so reliable..The Last shot hold open is just a nice addition.

Yes you can use a loader with the others mags, but that is just another thing to carry around and to purchase. If you can use the SW mags, they are the best hands down in my opinion. And as mentioned they are warranted..

Unless problems start to appear with functioning in SW 15-22s and dedicated uppers running CMMG Bolts, I have to believe that the SW mags or the adapter, are not the problem with functioning in some bolts..Maybe the one poster is on to something about the actuall lowers causing the problems with the Taccom bolt. But that really seems suspect too, as it should appear elsewhere in lowers when running the CMMG bolts too.

We have never tried any other Bolts with the SW adapter or mags, but also have had no reason to. Both our CMMG stainless Bolts have been flawless with the Adapter and SW mags...
Link Posted: 5/30/2014 3:39:28 AM EDT
[#27]
If it was a problem with the bolt, I would think the BDM mags would also have issues.
The feed lips/tower should be the same height regardless of manufacturer.
If you try BDM or first Gen CMMG mags and still have an issue, then I would look at the lower, mag catch, or BCG.

Tolerances are so close with the conversions, it just doesn't take much to throw everything off.

But, as I stated, I can't give any first hand reports as my Redi Mag and S & W mags work like a champ.

I did have trouble fitting the adapter in 2 lowers. It was just too tight.

Dave N
Link Posted: 5/30/2014 9:07:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Now I don't have any yet, but BD mags come with plastic or steel feed lips at twice the price. Do the plastic version work well or are the steel version better?
Link Posted: 5/30/2014 10:14:51 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Now I don't have any yet, but BD mags come with plastic or steel feed lips at twice the price. Do the plastic version work well or are the steel version better?
View Quote

I believe the only real difference is that steel is expected to last longer.  I don't know if this is true or not - my Nylon 66 has been going strong for almost 50 years.

Initially - the nylon feed lips worked better for me.  I think some of the steel feed lips are a little rough - after some break in - they work fine.

I always buy my BDM mags from here - great price and service: http://www.44mag.com/category/black_dog_machine/1

YMMV
Link Posted: 5/30/2014 5:15:25 PM EDT
[#30]
I have both and both work well.
With the nylon feed lips, don't use any cleaner on them. They will crack.
BDM has great customer service so you can buy with confidence.

I do like the BDM X Mags

Dave N
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 8:25:23 AM EDT
[#31]
Thanks for the lead. I ordered one of each just in case.
Link Posted: 6/1/2014 11:34:12 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Thanks for the lead. I ordered one of each just in case.
View Quote

Please keep us posted on how things work out with your rifle.
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 11:20:14 AM EDT
[#33]
My Tracker now works near 100% with the BD magazines. Both the metal and plastic. I have none of the issues I was having with the recommended S&W mags and adapter. I never got any response from TacCom either if they were willing to buy them back since they didn't work. I am going to post a full report in a separate thread about what I have done to get my TacCom where I want it.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top