Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/20/2014 7:19:55 AM EDT
I am torn between these two. I can either buy a complete Lone Wolf G9 upper and lower locally or ill order a 6951 online.

The biggest pro to the G9 for me is using Glock magazines but it seems like I will probably end up replacing the buffer tube, installing a new stock, and installing a whole new lpk. So I would be into the G9 about $200 more than the 6951.

Outside of using cheaper and more readily available magazines would I be wise to pick the G9 over the Colt?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 11:54:28 AM EDT
[#1]
I had used the Colt system for about 15 years on various machine guns, including registered M16 lowers and RDIAS as well.  It's a great system.

But a buddy of mine got the DDLES small frame lower a couple of years ago and I was hooked.  It uses the same mags as the Glock pistols that I own and prefer to shoot.  I also REALLY like the aesthetic of the magazine angled back at the bottom - it  works GREAT with my tiny 9mm upper with k-grip.  My setup is so small that with a regular AR lower you couldn't hook your thumb behind the k-grip.  But with the DDLES lower with its angled mag and the angle of the front of the magwell - there's plenty of room for my thumb.

Having said that - the DDLES is unavailable at the time.  Hopefully someone will start making a lower in this style again in the not too distant future.

The only disadvantage with Glock mags is that they're not as easy to load as the Colt 9mm mags - especially if you have one of those that rams 15-20 rounds at a time into the Colt or UZI mag.  But the MagLULA works great on the Glock mags too.

So if you already have Glock pistols and mags - I vote for a lower that uses the Glock system over the Colt system.  But if not, then there really is no advantage to using Glock mags over Colt-style mags.

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 12:08:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Colt 6951, then SBR it!
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 12:17:53 PM EDT
[#3]
G9 if you can find one.

I love mine.   Build it as a pistol first.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 12:26:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a Colt 6450 and a bunch of 9mm Glocks.

I would rather have a lower that fit the Glock mags at this point.  

If you get a Colt then get Metalform magazines.  They function properly.

As an aside have you considered a Thureon?  They also take Glock mags.

Link Posted: 4/21/2014 12:31:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote

............You're joking right?
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 12:40:43 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What is the deal?  Do they not function?  Too expensive?

I was interested in the Glock magazine capability.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 1:00:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You've never handled one I take it? Way too costly for what they are. Most AR parts will not even fit on it as it's not an AR.

You would be better off with something else. IMHO Even something that uses Colt mags.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 2:49:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

You've never handled one I take it? Way too costly for what they are. Most AR parts will not even fit on it as it's not an AR.

You would be better off with something else. IMHO Even something that uses Colt mags.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah ha.  Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 5:29:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Please let me know who has the G9 in stock, they've been backordered for well over a year.
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 6:27:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Please let me know who has the G9 in stock, they've been backordered for well over a year.
View Quote

Someone is selling it locally as a private sale.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 6:45:15 AM EDT
[#11]
I decided to go with the 6951. Ive always had good luck with Colt stuff so figured id stick to whats been around longer?
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 7:32:12 AM EDT
[#12]
I love my Colt 6951. It's run 100% since day one even with using marginally crappy brass-cased FMJ plinking ammo. As has been stated earlier, the Colt/Metalform mags are way easier to load with a LULA than the Glock 33rd mags are.

Link Posted: 4/27/2014 8:03:14 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

There are a couple on gunbroker
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 7:40:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Got my 6951 today and took it directly to the range. Put about 200 flawless rounds through it but there are a few things I took note of...

The magazines are insanely hard to load, I definitely need to get a mag loading aparatus.
And I also feel like the finish is in overall rough shape for being a brand new from the factory gun.
Scratches around roll pins and upper and lower dont match all that great.

These cosmetic things dont bother me too much but its still a little bit of a let down. I have bought three other Colt AR's and I have to say the first two that id bought around 07 were flawless in fit finish and function. The two more recent ones which includes this 6951 have been flawless in function but lacking in fit and finish.

Link Posted: 4/30/2014 8:29:24 AM EDT
[#15]
The Maglula is definitely required, those mags are a PITA to load.
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 1:13:26 PM EDT
[#16]
Just left the range....

Kind of disappointing what occurred. About 120 rounds down range and my dad noticed that the hand guards were rotating an awful lot.
The barrel nut had loosened up and was just spinning freely like it was not properly torqued on?
I just popped off the hand guards and tightened it back up but I have to admit to being kind of disappointed with Colt that they would ship something out like that.
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 10:43:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Just left the range....

Kind of disappointing what occurred. About 120 rounds down range and my dad noticed that the hand guards were rotating an awful lot.
The barrel nut had loosened up and was just spinning freely like it was not properly torqued on?
I just popped off the hand guards and tightened it back up but I have to admit to being kind of disappointed with Colt that they would ship something out like that.
View Quote

Colt has issues.
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 2:54:29 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Just left the range....

View Quote

I bought my Colt 6951 spring of 2013.  The first time I shot it I noticed the hand guards rotating, and so much that the barrel was rotating as well.  I shipped it back to Colt and had them fix it.  I probably could have done this myself or with a local gunsmith, but I figured they would do it for free and I didn't want to mess with it.  It took like six weeks to turn around.  Other than that it has been great.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top