Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/19/2014 2:42:03 PM EDT
Given DDLES being dissolved and I doubt there are any patents on the proprietary parts.   Does anyone have the ability to reverse engineer the proprietary parts on DDLES lowers (colt, large and small frame glock)?   I'm sure we can produce some samples from those of us that have them and I think at this point their is a decent market for replacement parts.  

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:16:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Tag.

I'd contact RifleGear and see if they have a line on any.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 5:41:58 PM EDT
[#2]
How any of the proprietary parts have broken?  The Colt mag lower doesn't have any other than the lower itself.  Neither the bolt catch nor mag release are high failure rate parts.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 6:49:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Tag.

I'd contact RifleGear and see if they have a line on any.
View Quote

I have tried this by phone and email.  Phone response was they don't stock any to contact by email to try to get some.  No response from email yet.  Going on one week.

I seen in the main DDLES thread today that Trident Arms also built rifles off of DDLES lowers so I was going to try and contact them Monday morning to see if they have any spare parts on the shelf.

My other option I have going is to take my lower in to my gunsmith/machine shop Saturday since I will be down there anyway, and ask them about reproducing a small parts kit.  They are more of a one of shop though and I HIGHLY doubt they could do this at any large production format.  That is if they even are willing to try and reproduce the proprietary parts.  And even if they are willing I doubt I'm going to like the cost :-(

My opinion is we really need a ARF vendor to do a bulk buy on these to get the ball rolling to cover there setup and R&D.  Then hopefully they can keep them on the shelf for an in stock item.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 9:26:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
How any of the proprietary parts have broken?  The Colt mag lower doesn't have any other than the lower itself.  Neither the bolt catch nor mag release are high failure rate parts.
View Quote

I see the ejector and the bolt hold open actuator as possible problems in the colt pattern.  Given this is a registered SBR for a lot of folks and who knows if 5,10,15 years down the road we can even own things like SBR's I would rather have some spare parts.
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 10:26:03 AM EDT
[#5]

Greetings,

FYI, here is the spare parts list for the small Glock lowers directly from the DDLES page:

Spare Parts Kit for AR-15 9mm (VGN/VMN)
Price:
$145.85
Package Contains
Spare 9mm Bolt Hold Open Actuator
Spare 9mm Ejector
Spare 9mm Feed Ramp
Item #: DDSK9mm
Manufacturer: DDLES

In my experience, I've had some damage to the feed ramp and got lucky being able to order a spare and actually have it arrive. I also bought a ejector. At that time, I wanted to order the Bolt Hold Actuator, but it was not in stock. I'd be in for any group effort to find someone that was able to manufacture these parts to keep our lowers going. I'll ask around, but don't think I have any contacts up to the job.

Regards, Jim
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 10:51:44 AM EDT
[#6]
I'd be up for a couple spare parts kits
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 9:54:36 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm in for spare parts as well.
Link Posted: 4/30/2014 10:14:17 PM EDT
[#8]
In for parts
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 7:07:43 AM EDT
[#9]
I've got 2 lowers so I would be in for at least 3 sets. Someone has got to have a machinist buddy out there.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 3:00:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 3:42:18 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a small frame lower and am doing the solid models now.....most of the small parts can be laser cut and then fixtures made to bend the ones that require it. IF and that is a damn big IF.....I can raise the capital we are looking at producing a glock lower small frame initially and then the large frame....but the required capital is a very significant amount......and the LRBHO is a less than optimal design that will probably get changed.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 5:46:41 PM EDT
[#12]
Jon's LRBHO design for the glock pattern is garbage.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 6:23:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View Quote

Tell us how you really feel.....
Just looking at it from a basic engineering physics 1001 class....definitely not how I'd have designed it......
Not sure if my design will be possible to retro fit....but I am working on this.....hoping once we have the solid models done....we'll at minimum be able to do a few prototypes and that will lead to the funding we need.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 6:47:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Best bet would be just to have a company make a Glock lower in the same design, then the spares would be readily available.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Best bet would be just to have a company make a Glock lower in the same design, then the spares would be readily available.

Get on it
Quoted:
Quoted:

Tell us how you really feel.....
Just looking at it from a basic engineering physics 1001 class....definitely not how I'd have designed it......
Not sure if my design will be possible to retro fit....but I am working on this.....hoping once we have the solid models done....we'll at minimum be able to do a few prototypes and that will lead to the funding we need.

Whats wrong with it? Havent really had a chance to look at mine yet.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 8:02:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Mine works every time. How else are you going to make it work?
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 4:52:22 AM EDT
[#16]
IMHO the only real hard parts that need to be stocked (if you do not count the firing pin and extractor in the bolt) are the ejector and BHO.

The BHO appears to be standard?  I do not see that being a problem to source if you have some LPKs around?  Please correct me if I am wrong.

The only other part would be the ejector, and that is a simple L shape flat steel part that any decent gunsmith or home hobbyist could craft since it is just pinned in there.

I don't really see the BHO actuator being that terrible to recreate, I just don't see it as a wear item, does not seem like it is a highly stressed part?

Link Posted: 5/2/2014 8:42:58 AM EDT
[#17]
For all that are wondering what  is the future of the Products that DDLES has been selling I bring you good news!  As you may or may not have heard the company that was producing all of the products that DDLES was selling has been dissolved.  A new company with new management (No Jon Beaudry in any way shape or form) will be acquiring the equipment, jigs, fixtures, and intellectual property and after a short period of cleanup and refit will be in full production of all products.  As things get going more information will be forthcoming.
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 9:38:58 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

For all that are wondering what  is the future of the Products that DDLES has been selling I bring you good news!  As you may or may not have heard the company that was producing all of the products that DDLES was selling has been dissolved.  A new company with new management (No Jon Beaudry in any way shape or form) will be acquiring the equipment, jigs, fixtures, and intellectual property and after a short period of cleanup and refit will be in full production of all products.  As things get going more information will be forthcoming.
View Quote
Interesting. If any entity ever gets these back into production, I'm stocking up on 3 lifetime supplies of spare parts and then I'm out of the DDLES game.

Link Posted: 5/2/2014 9:44:02 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

I see the ejector and the bolt hold open actuator as possible problems in the colt pattern.  Given this is a registered SBR for a lot of folks and who knows if 5,10,15 years down the road we can even own things like SBR's I would rather have some spare parts.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The ejector isn't proprietary.  Fairly certain the bho actuator isn't either.
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 4:20:47 PM EDT
[#20]
You are wrong...the Ejector in both the glock pattern and the colt pattern are proprietary.  I confirmed this with Jon when he still answered the phone and also have had them side by side with a standard colt ejector.  The part you cannot see where it pins to the lower is a different shape and the pin goes through a different spot.
Link Posted: 5/8/2014 11:40:28 AM EDT
[#21]
Im a CAD design engineer for Helicopter blades and a mechanical engineer.
5 years on UG Nx5
5 years on Solidsworks

Maybe I can help

I released half of rockford fosgates speaker line.
I have a DDLES small frame lower.
Link Posted: 5/8/2014 11:41:21 AM EDT
[#22]
The first approach would be to get the DDLES files. Why reinvent the wheel. The work is already out there.

Then decide what to do with it.
Link Posted: 5/8/2014 7:20:13 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who cares if the parts are proprietary? There are no laws that prevent a person from reverse engineering a proprietary item. Now, if the parts are patented, that is a whole different issue and now it would be illegal.
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 2:15:51 AM EDT
[#24]
Patience Grasshopper..............

There is a company to restart from the ashes off DDLES,.......WITHOUT Jon Beaudry
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 7:05:57 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Im a CAD design engineer for Helicopter blades and a mechanical engineer.
5 years on UG Nx5
5 years on Solidsworks

Maybe I can help

I released half of rockford fosgates speaker line.
I have a DDLES small frame lower.
View Quote

well, start working some Magic!

Seriously though, it's the LRBHO arm that is the only part that matters, and the gun runs without it. The needed bolt catch is just a Billet one, Spikes or Seekins. The bolt catch spring can just use a Milspec one slightly modified.
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 7:52:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote

Awesome to hear.   I will happily purchase a colt pattern lower.

Please, please, PLEASE don't gay it up with a giant stupid rollmark.  
Link Posted: 5/13/2014 10:42:22 AM EDT
[#27]
And while we're at it.. bring that price point down!
Link Posted: 5/13/2014 11:39:01 AM EDT
[#28]
I saw that his source for the Bolt Catch Spring (I never received mine with my Glock lower) came from Lee Spring. The manufacturer has a distributor in Arizona. I have tried to contact them through the contact number, but is connecting me with Missouri's location.

Just an idea if someone from AZ could call, speak to a sales rep., and explain the situation (they have to keep a purchase record or a customer data base)Maybe he/she can at least source the springs for us. I bet Jon bought them through that location.

1235 North Hobson Street
Gilbert, AZ 85233
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 7:24:08 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I saw that his source for the Bolt Catch Spring (I never received mine with my Glock lower) came from Lee Spring. The manufacturer has a distributor in Arizona. I have tried to contact them through the contact number, but is connecting me with Missouri's location.

Just an idea if someone from AZ could call, speak to a sales rep., and explain the situation (they have to keep a purchase record or a customer data base)Maybe he/she can at least source the springs for us. I bet Jon bought them through that location.

1235 North Hobson Street
Gilbert, AZ 85233
View Quote

Leespring.com
AZ location (480) 539-5704

EDIT:  If someone does not figure out a part number before I can get to it, I will take my spring down there and match it up.  

Link Posted: 5/14/2014 12:19:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Does anybody else find it odd that the website is still up and lists the spare part kits as available?

http://www.shop.doublediamondsupply.com/Spare-Parts-Kit-for-AR-15-9mm-VGN-VMN-DDSK9mm.htm
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 2:00:05 PM EDT
[#31]
I just am trying my hardest to find some Billet Bolt catches. Any luck out there?
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 10:48:04 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
I just am trying my hardest to find some Billet Bolt catches. Any luck out there?
View Quote

I've had pretty good luck with Seekins precision's bolt catch.
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 12:55:05 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Unfortunately, those seem to be out of stock everywhere.
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 6:55:47 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Given DDLES being dissolved and I doubt there are any patents on the proprietary parts.   Does anyone have the ability to reverse engineer the proprietary parts on DDLES lowers (colt, large and small frame glock)?   I'm sure we can produce some samples from those of us that have them and I think at this point their is a decent market for replacement parts.  

Thoughts?
View Quote

Get out of the platform and sell at profit to others wishing to stock up.
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 9:34:56 AM EDT
[#35]
We need to just to get like Spikes to take order the DDLES design!
Link Posted: 5/15/2014 9:39:18 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
We need to just to get like Spikes to take order the DDLES design!
View Quote

That sounds like a bad idea.
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 4:27:00 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

exactly this, but don't worry they have mag buttons in 5+ fun colors
Link Posted: 5/16/2014 5:42:00 PM EDT
[#38]
I'm interested in small frame glock spare parts
Link Posted: 5/17/2014 3:45:32 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

I'm interested in small frame glock spare parts
View Quote
Only part missing in my build is a bolt assembly.  Colt 9mm upper for a retro themed dissipator.  I would think it was good to at least have a couple ejectors but NOT at what Jon was asking for them (plus I would have considered it morally offensive to give him another cent).

Link Posted: 5/19/2014 10:38:45 AM EDT
[#40]
On spare parts concens, are you guys talking about the lower for Glock mags?  

I just built for one that uses Colt SMG mags and I used a std LPK.   I wasn't paying close attention, but the only parts I noticed that came with it and appeared possibly proprietary were the feed ramp and maybe the ejector.

What parts should I be concerned about on a Colt style lower?

Link Posted: 5/19/2014 5:13:21 PM EDT
[#41]
Seekins bolt catches at Rainier
Link Posted: 5/19/2014 9:00:35 PM EDT
[#42]
So is there any kind of time frame on when this new company might be rolling parts out? Weeks... months...longer?? I definitely want a lower, but I will make do with a CMMG lower in the meantime.
Link Posted: 5/20/2014 6:10:50 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
On spare parts concens, are you guys talking about the lower for Glock mags?  

I just built for one that uses Colt SMG mags and I used a std LPK.   I wasn't paying close attention, but the only parts I noticed that came with it and appeared possibly proprietary were the feed ramp and maybe the ejector.

What parts should I be concerned about on a Colt style lower?

View Quote

When I built my colt lower up I just used a standard LPK as well.  No problems so far but round count is under 500 rounds I imagine.  The upper is a Spikes I got before they discontinued that particular configuration.
Link Posted: 5/20/2014 5:36:04 PM EDT
[#44]
The time frame right now depends on Jon Beaudry.  I am told he is fighting for parts and tooling so that he can start producing and selling again, he has set up an new shop at his house.  As soon as he is out of the way they can start selling what inventory they acquired and making new parts.  I am also told that those that are looking for Jon Beaudry can find him at the Grant Rd address for the next few days at around 9am.  The doors are open come inside.
Link Posted: 5/21/2014 11:09:21 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
The time frame right now depends on Jon Beaudry.  I am told he is fighting for parts and tooling so that he can start producing and selling again, he has set up an new shop at his house.  As soon as he is out of the way they can start selling what inventory they acquired and making new parts.  I am also told that those that are looking for Jon Beaudry can find him at the Grant Rd address for the next few days at around 9am.  The doors are open come inside.
View Quote

He is basically going to be a poison pill with whatever new company tries to get started.
Hopefully the new group gets started up soon. Post up their name here. I would like one of these style lowers.

Some users here are already going crazy with prices on the EE because of the DDLES fiasco. Seen some stripped lowers being asked for upwards of $600 already.
Link Posted: 5/21/2014 6:58:20 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

He is basically going to be a poison pill with whatever new company tries to get started.
Hopefully the new group gets started up soon. Post up their name here. I would like one of these style lowers.

Some users here are already going crazy with prices on the EE because of the DDLES fiasco. Seen some stripped lowers being asked for upwards of $600 already.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Haha ya, it's ridiculous.  I just went ahead and bought a CMMG lower for now, I'll probably sell it when these lowers finally come out.  But I want to shoot one now
Link Posted: 5/22/2014 5:29:33 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Does anybody else find it odd that the website is still up and lists the spare part kits as available?

http://www.shop.doublediamondsupply.com/Spare-Parts-Kit-for-AR-15-9mm-VGN-VMN-DDSK9mm.htm
View Quote

I do.  I bet the www site will bill your card if you place an order too.
Link Posted: 5/29/2014 9:39:46 AM EDT
[#48]
I just called Lee Spring.  The lady told me that multiple springs are listed in their database as being sold to DDLES.  She did give me the springs that seem to have been ordered multiple times read the most. I am looking for the Bolt Catch Spring if anyone can help me out. One can look these part #s up on Leespring.com, click on compression and enter the # for the info I listed. Thanks in advance.

LCM065D 11 S:
Outside Dia=.295"
Hole Dia    = .315"
Wire Dia   = .026"
Free Lenght= 1.083"
Rate= 4.05 lb/in
Solid Length= .223"
Rod Diameter= .224"
Material= SS
Radial Wall= in

LC016B 01S
Outside Dia=.148"
Hole Dia= .156"
Wire Dia= .016"
Free Length= .250"
Rate= 9.91 lb/in
Solid Length= .092"
Rod Dia= .108"
Material= SS
Radial Wall= in

LC016B 02S
Outside Dia= .148"
Hole Dia= .156"
Wire Dia= .016"
Free Length= .313"
Rate= 7.66 lb/in
Solid Length= .109"
Rod Dia= .108"
Material= SS
Radial Wall= in

Link Posted: 6/1/2014 7:29:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

LC016B 01S
Outside Dia=.148"
Hole Dia= .156"
Wire Dia= .016"
Free Length= .250"
Rate= 9.91 lb/in
Solid Length= .092"
Rod Dia= .108"
Material= SS
Radial Wall= in

View Quote

This is the spring that matches up with mine.
Link Posted: 6/2/2014 7:59:31 AM EDT
[#50]
Thanks for checking that
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top