Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/18/2014 4:30:02 AM EDT
A few days ago I went out to do a little shooting as the damn snow finally melted away.
When I went to make my first shot all I heard was click,  So I rack another round in there and get the same thing.
So I grabbed another lower I had sitting there and tried it,  Same thing "Click" ok it's not a lower problem.
So I take the bolt apart and find a broken firing pin.
I sent shadowcop a PM asking if he had a extra pin to sell me. He said to send info and he would get a standard pin and a Toccom pin out to me for free (Stand up guy).
A few days later I get the pins in the mail open up the package and the Taccom pin looks great you can tell it has been hardened,  just a much tougher looking pin.
Ok so I install the Toccom pin and I notice it is like my spring for the firing pin it to short the pin just bounces around in my bolt.
I tried to fire it and I was getting failures to fire and a few failures to feed. The standard pin worked fine that he sent.
I would much rather run the Taccom pin. I'm thinking maybe my firing pin spring might be bad if someone could mic there pin and give me the measurements that would help rule the spring out.
Any help would be appreciated.
And again a big Thanks to shadowcop for hooking me up
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:02:59 AM EDT
[#1]
That was nice of Shadow. If no one gets the info for you I am willing to pull mine this eve and get the measurements. We have two CMMGs, one with Taccoms pin and one with a CMMG one..

Do you see a  dent from the pin  at all on the round or a very light one?

It has been over a year since we installed the Taccom pin and I do not even remember if we even used a spring with the Taccom Firing pin. Seems maybe you do not. But my memory is not good for a year anymore

Likely that a spring in there at all is what is causing your problem..

EDIT: Had time to pull our CMMG bolt with the Taccom pin and sure enough I am not running a spring in there at all. Has worked great over a year that way..

Either way I am sure Tim from Taccom will be along to help you out..Great guy.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:05:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Ok I just took the spring out of it and it's still not right I had failures to fire every 4th or 5th round.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:23:32 AM EDT
[#3]
The thinner portion of the Taccom pin where the spring goes is longer.  So if you want the spring to go all the way to the front, you will have to stretch your spring a bit.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 9:27:01 AM EDT
[#4]
You will either need to stretch the spring about 1/8" or order a new one from CMMG.
The spring has likely collapsed.

Dave N
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:00:16 PM EDT
[#5]
Roger that I'll pick up a new spring and give it a try. I tried stretching the spring it got a little better but still a few failures.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 1:58:30 PM EDT
[#6]
So Dave, is it normal not to run a spring with the Taccom Pin? I have never had one in there from day one and I swear as best I can remember I talked to Tim on the phone and he said run without one.

I very well could be wrong though. Hope Tim will chime in..Thanks
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:34:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Ok....I do run mine without a spring....works great.

As a manufacturer? YOU MUST HAVE THE SPRING IN PLACE  

What I've been finding is that just about every manufacturer has the same dimensions for the firing pin and for the spring. In the bolts we make, we put a firing pin spring in everyone.....and it is the same dimensions of anyone elses. AND....the spring keeps the firing pin back. So what is happening???? Why does TACCOM's firing pin flop around in the bolt, the factory one doesn't???

If you look at the springs.....and the relief for that spring on the firing pin....do a little match, you come to find out that the factory spring is going to solid height or beyond...yes, your firing pin is not bottoming out on the head....it's bottoming out on the solid height of the spring. Calling the BS card on me? What on earth is my proof?? Ask your self why do I hear about firing pin springs breaking??? Two reasons.....crappy spring...or what I mentioned.

Sooo.....you buy a TACCOM firing pin and it's flops in the bolt.....not my fault, sorry.....it's the spring....it's been collapsed. You have one of two things to do......stretch it (works in a pinch) or replace it. You will find that if you do buy a new spring from the company that made your bolt......that the TACCOM firing pin is now being forced back by the spring AND....because you are no longer collapsing the spring, it won't break.

OK.....I am not being a smart ass, or talking tongue in cheek......we have a problem. You would think that if TACCOM is gonna sell a replacement firing pin....wouldn't they also have a replacement firing pin spring as well??? Well.....uhmmmm, I thought about that very thing today and ordered a snot pot full of firing pin springs.....not sure how I'm gonna do this yet, but one way or an other.....TACCOM will have firing pin springs in the near future.

Hope this helps!!

Tim
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:32:44 PM EDT
[#8]
My Man!
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:39:07 PM EDT
[#9]
I see TACCOM coming out with the USRK Ultimate Spring Replacement Kit or USUK Ultimate Spring Upgrade Kit?

MAHA

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 6:44:16 PM EDT
[#10]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

OK.....I am not being a smart ass, or talking tongue in cheek......we have a problem. You would think that if TACCOM is gonna sell a replacement firing pin....wouldn't they also have a replacement firing pin spring as well??? Well.....uhmmmm, I thought about that very thing today and ordered a snot pot full of firing pin springs.....not sure how I'm gonna do this yet, but one way or an other.....TACCOM will have firing pin springs in the near future.

View Quote

Put me on the list for a couple.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 4:15:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Add me to that list
Link Posted: 4/20/2014 8:27:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Im in for a couple as well
Link Posted: 4/21/2014 4:49:17 AM EDT
[#13]
I'd buy a few.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 9:15:55 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

View Quote

Any ETA on your firing pin springs?

Link Posted: 5/1/2014 10:21:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1 - what 8afuzzball said.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top