Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/17/2014 6:42:08 PM EDT
With the shortage of good 22lr ammo, I have had to shelf my GSG-5 SBR which is a shame I loved shooting it, but only feed her plated HV rounds (CCI mini-mag)  Do not know the issue with the shortage of 22lr ammo nor do I care, it just needs to end so people who want to use their weapons for entertainment can do so again.  Anyway back to the point.

What are some other economical rounds to use in an AR platform since its so adaptable.  

Will be ordering a 223 Wylde barrel soon to finish the current AR build, since it seems to be the best combo for 556 vs 223.  I have used the 9mm setup but it was a SMG and wasnt to keen on the lack of gas system and its muzzle climb even on short bursts.  The gunshop I worked for we built a 40 S&W upper with AWC supressor, and made a mag block and jig to cut and use Glock magazines.  Was a fun platform til someone cut a mag wrong and one thing lead to another and it fired out of battery blowing the upper apart.  300 AAC Blackout looks fun, will probably do an upper later for it in carbine length.  22lr is out til the shortage of good ammo stops.  17 HMR well I priced the only upper I could find and its over $700, thats not going to happen right now.  big uns like 50 B, or 50 BMG, to pricey on ammo, 458 the same.  7.62x39 requires a new bolt, but eh may be ok.  

Looking for something else that can be fired at a reasonable cost IE sub $20 a box.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:15:33 PM EDT
[#1]
DI 45......
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 7:52:31 PM EDT
[#2]
9mm is probably the 2nd cheapest round to shoot, after 22lr.  5.45x39 USED to be cheap, but that train has now left the station.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 10:26:48 PM EDT
[#3]
12 ga is cheaper than 9x19mm.    Someone recently posted here about modifying a .22"LR caliber adapter to .22"WMR, & using Savage 7 rnd magazines.  That would be reasonably cheap if you can find .22"WMR.

Got any pics of your former Glock setup?  Folks are looking hard for that solution.
Link Posted: 4/19/2014 1:46:52 AM EDT
[#4]
I would go with the CLE chamber rather than the Wilde. Frank explained the differences to me, but I forgot what they were. I have had several Douglas Stainless barrels on my service rifle over the years, all with the CLE chamber from Compass Lake Engineering I made High Master with it at Camp Perry, got distinguished and Presidents 100 twice.

Now for the shameless plug:
How about my 22 magnum upper? Available in both right and left hand versions.

I think the rimfire shortage is loosening up from what I am starting to see on some forums.
Rimfire Central

The interesting thing is there is plenty of ammo available on GunBroker, if you want to pay the price. I met a dealer that said all the WMR he gets goes on GunBroker for $30/box. Once people stop paying double and triple for it you will see it showing up more and more on the store shelves.

Regards, Ray
Link Posted: 4/29/2014 6:55:14 AM EDT
[#5]
I did find a pic of me holding an AR pistol project from back then.  This sported a 7.5" barrel, Beta C mag, and Supressor.  It was a sinister looking toy.  I dont have pics from that Glock mag conversion since it had a bad ending.

The upper receiver had to be notched for the drop in magazine adapter.  The lower required no mods besides dropping in the adapter.  The magazines were cut using a Jig we made.  We cut a variety of magazines from a G22 from stock size to 30 rounds.  All mags we cut fit and functioned very well.  However once the project was sold, the end user tried cutting his own using a dremel tool instead of coming back to us to get a mag cut which we would have done free.  The cut mags still functioned flawless in the glock 22.

What happened with the ill fitting magazine is that it allowed for the bolt to hit the mag body, and ended up causing an out of battery discharge.  The side of the upper and the bolt both ruptured sending fragments that sliced the users face.  Thus the future of our GLOCK mag conversions ended there.
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 5:47:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
With the shortage of good 22lr ammo, I have had to shelf my GSG-5 SBR which is a shame I loved shooting it, but only feed her plated HV rounds (CCI mini-mag)  Do not know the issue with the shortage of 22lr ammo nor do I care, it just needs to end so people who want to use their weapons for entertainment can do so again.  Anyway back to the point.

What are some other economical rounds to use in an AR platform since its so adaptable.  

Will be ordering a 223 Wylde barrel soon to finish the current AR build, since it seems to be the best combo for 556 vs 223.  I have used the 9mm setup but it was a SMG and wasnt to keen on the lack of gas system and its muzzle climb even on short bursts.  The gunshop I worked for we built a 40 S&W upper with AWC supressor, and made a mag block and jig to cut and use Glock magazines.  Was a fun platform til someone cut a mag wrong and one thing lead to another and it fired out of battery blowing the upper apart.  300 AAC Blackout looks fun, will probably do an upper later for it in carbine length.  22lr is out til the shortage of good ammo stops.  17 HMR well I priced the only upper I could find and its over $700, thats not going to happen right now.  big uns like 50 B, or 50 BMG, to pricey on ammo, 458 the same.  7.62x39 requires a new bolt, but eh may be ok.  

Looking for something else that can be fired at a reasonable cost IE sub $20 a box.
View Quote

Thats too bad about the 40S&W. I build DI40s. Eliminates the out of battery detonation you can have with blow backs.
DI40S&W & RRA 40 cal mags.
Link Posted: 5/2/2014 10:12:24 PM EDT
[#7]
I sure hope the 22 shortage ends soon, I just got a gift today of 2 new GSG-5 mags, and have already put a deposit down on the soon to be released MP40 by GSG.  Once they ship them out, I have the SBR paperwork ready for the info lol.  Im not going to have that fake silencer sticking off the end of a MP40.  Just like with my GSG-5, I started with a GSG-5P and filed the SBR paperwork on it.  I have the correct looking MP5 clone in 22, which works fantastic, though havnt tried the UMEREX version thats showing off the Hk logo.  

http://www.americantactical.us/Public/images/product%5C201431241631493701-GERGMP4010.jpeg

Yeah yeah its not an AR-15 but its always been a dream of mine to own a MP40 and I let an original slip thru my fingers a few years back and regret it.
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 9:30:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

Maybe I'm reading this wrong, but it sounds like you're considering 300 Blackout because 22 LR is too hard to find???

If you want center fire, 223/5.56 is probably the most affordable. Still more expensive than 22 LR though. Check out ammoseek.com, even in these tough times 22 LR can be had for .15/round or less. Not ideal, but still less expensive than anything else.
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 10:07:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
DI 45......
View Quote

Why has the concept of 45ACP AR or in 10mm not taken off?

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 12:12:12 PM EDT
[#10]
It is, I love mine, just waiting for that damn stamp to come in
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 1:09:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
DI 45......

I think one of the reasons is the unavailability of a plug and play option for a stock unmodified lower receiver....everything is either custom made, dedicated or has to be modified from something else.....but that is about to change.......
I'm going for the final preproduction meeting with my vendor either the end of this week or early next week.....then we will do a test batch of about 25 to use and abuse.....
and then go to production. Preliminary tests have worked with everything form flat nose cast lead to flat nose cone hollow points to standard ball. It will be more than 20, possibly 25 round capacity...use the stock mag catch and have last round bolt hold open. Initially we'll be concentrating on .45 but the same mag body and follower should work with very minor mods for 10mm as well. The mag is a single feed double stack all steel with steel follower and floor plate.....hope ya'll like it.......

As soon as I get the production models and we can do some serious shooting I'll post more info.....(the one in the pic is superglued together  and can't be loaded to capacity...but it will take and run 10 rounds no sweat.......)

Link Posted: 5/5/2014 1:34:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:  I think one of the reasons is the unavailability of a plug and play option for a stock unmodified lower receiver....everything is either custom made, dedicated or has to be modified from something else.....but that is about to change.......
I'm going for the final preproduction meeting with my vendor either the end of this week or early next week.....then we will do a test batch of about 25 to use and abuse.....
and then go to production. Preliminary tests have worked with everything form flat nose cast lead to flat nose cone hollow points to standard ball. It will be more than 20, possibly 25 round capacity...use the stock mag catch and have last round bolt hold open. Initially we'll be concentrating on .45 but the same mag body and follower should work with very minor mods for 10mm as well. The mag is a single feed double stack all steel with steel follower and floor plate.....hope ya'll like it.......

As soon as I get the production models and we can do some serious shooting I'll post more info.....(the one in the pic is superglued together  and can't be loaded to capacity...but it will take and run 10 rounds no sweat.......)
View Quote

You did it the hard way - making your own magazines.  Hope that works out for you.  It's a big undertaking, but we sincerely hope you have built the better mousetrap.
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 1:57:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I think one of the reasons is the unavailability of a plug and play option for a stock unmodified lower receiver....everything is either custom made, dedicated or has to be modified from something else.....but that is about to change.......

<a href="http://s368.photobucket.com/user/MadMachinist/media/newmag2_zps8db44e30.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i368.photobucket.com/albums/oo121/MadMachinist/newmag2_zps8db44e30.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s368.photobucket.com/user/MadMachinist/media/newmag1_zps9d7be6d4.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i368.photobucket.com/albums/oo121/MadMachinist/newmag1_zps9d7be6d4.jpg</a>
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
DI 45......

<a href="http://s368.photobucket.com/user/MadMachinist/media/newmag2_zps8db44e30.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i368.photobucket.com/albums/oo121/MadMachinist/newmag2_zps8db44e30.jpg</a>

<a href="http://s368.photobucket.com/user/MadMachinist/media/newmag1_zps9d7be6d4.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i368.photobucket.com/albums/oo121/MadMachinist/newmag1_zps9d7be6d4.jpg</a>

Very nice!

Be sure to update us in this project, please.
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 2:05:59 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
You did it the hard way - making your own magazines.  Hope that works out for you.  It's a big undertaking, but we sincerely hope you have built the better mousetrap.
View Quote

As do I......but it has been in the planning and funding stages for about 3 years now......I just didn't want to mention it untill I was relatively certian that it was actually gonna happen..... ......I remember the long wait for Olympic Arms magazines ...and the resulting disappointment
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 2:11:44 PM EDT
[#15]
We now want a concealable pocket pistol that uses your magazines.  But it's not light enough, the recoil is too heavy, & the grip angle is all wrong.  
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 2:23:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
We now want a concealable pocket pistol that uses your magazines.  But it's not light enough, the recoil is too heavy, & the grip angle is all wrong.  
View Quote

Damnit man....you made me shoot Shiner Bock out my nose..........................
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 2:57:58 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:  Damnit man....you made me shoot Shiner Bock out my nose..........................
View Quote

Take another swig:

Link Posted: 5/5/2014 4:24:49 PM EDT
[#18]
Um the use of super glue, and duct tape are correctly termed in the product research and development arena as "Proof of Concept"  meaning it may not be pretty but it sort of works lol.

I have a 556 well 223 Wylde upper now, and next build is 300 AAC upper.  But til 22lr comes back strong in the stores, I need something I can find and shoot.  9mm seems the next best thing, though toyed with ideas of a custom barrel for a 17 HM2 but not sure if the 22lr conversions have enough mass for the bolt.
Link Posted: 5/5/2014 4:29:44 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Um the use of super glue, and duct tape are correctly termed in the product research and development arena as "Proof of Concept"  meaning it may not be pretty but it sort of works lol.

I have a 556 well 223 Wylde upper now, and next build is 300 AAC upper.  But til 22lr comes back strong in the stores, I need something I can find and shoot.  9mm seems the next best thing, though toyed with ideas of a custom barrel for a 17 HM2 but not sure if the 22lr conversions have enough mass for the bolt.
View Quote

I call super glue usage by my customers part of the "bonding experience".

.22"LR conversions do NOT have sufficient mass in the bolt to run .17"HMR.  The Remington 597 factory .17"HMR didn't have enough mass in the bolt to run .17"HMR - hence it was recalled & Remington shorted their customers w/ refunds for less than what had been paid for the guns.
Link Posted: 5/6/2014 5:04:30 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
DI 45......

Funny but I have 5 10mms on the bench right now with a stack of orders for the 45.
Link Posted: 5/8/2014 3:47:31 AM EDT
[#21]
Was saying HM2 not HMR, the HM2 is the 22lr case not the magnum case like the HMR.  

Have seen lots of 1022 barrels for this chambering and wondered if anyone had seen barrels or anything usable.
Link Posted: 5/8/2014 4:19:20 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I sure hope the 22 shortage ends soon, I just got a gift today of 2 new GSG-5 mags, and have already put a deposit down on the soon to be released MP40 by GSG.  Once they ship them out, I have the SBR paperwork ready for the info lol.  Im not going to have that fake silencer sticking off the end of a MP40.  Just like with my GSG-5, I started with a GSG-5P and filed the SBR paperwork on it.  I have the correct looking MP5 clone in 22, which works fantastic, though havnt tried the UMEREX version thats showing off the Hk logo.  

http://www.americantactical.us/Public/images/product%5C201431241631493701-GERGMP4010.jpeg

Yeah yeah its not an AR-15 but its always been a dream of mine to own a MP40 and I let an original slip thru my fingers a few years back and regret it.
View Quote

Same here, planning on snagging one of the MP40 .22 clones when they come out. I've had the Walther/Umarex MP5-22 for a few years now and it's been the most reliable and accurate .22 in my collection. Never thought I'd find something that out shoots my old Remington Speedmaster but it does.
Link Posted: 5/8/2014 8:48:24 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Was saying HM2 not HMR, the HM2 is the 22lr case not the magnum case like the HMR.  

http://www.shootingtimes.com/files/2010/09/17m24bllts.jpg

Have seen lots of 1022 barrels for this chambering and wondered if anyone had seen barrels or anything usable.
View Quote

Yes you did.  Reading is fundamental.  If one can run .22"WMR out of a modified .22"LR adapter, a .17"HM2 should work.  I don't know of anyone w/ a drop-in .17"HM2 bbl for the AR.  Ruger bbl + lathe = profit?
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 7:54:01 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Very nice!

Be sure to update us in this project, please.
View Quote

Mag is held together with super glue literally ...so 8 to 10 rounds is max for now.....
should have some production models to really test with in a little over a month.....
But here is a quick video of it in action

New mag test
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top