Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/15/2014 2:52:46 PM EDT
Is it just me, or is it this thing?    You might get sixty rounds through it before it starts to jam.   you have to strip the bole and clean the compression rings or it jams up tighter than hell.   I can understand dirty pistol power, but this is ridicules.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 3:43:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Is it just me, or is it this thing?    You might get sixty rounds through it before it starts to jam.   you have to strip the bole and clean the compression rings or it jams up tighter than hell.   I can understand dirty pistol power, but this is ridicules.
View Quote

Who's upper? Is it DI?
I have an RMW DI 45 that I reload for and have no issues. Also are you using factory ammo, most factory ammo is very dirty. If you reload unique is a good powder to start with.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 3:58:29 PM EDT
[#2]
There are some very dirty pistol powders out there so results will vary.  Interestingly enough old reloaders would tell you Unique was a very dirty powder. I have used it for years and love the stuff as its easy to work with and not a sensitive powder. As I understand it they changed the mix of it a few years back and cleaned it up some. I have good luck with Unique in both my pistols and rifles (9mm) and know its used in other calibers too.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 4:23:05 PM EDT
[#3]
I use factory ammo.   I know pistol power is dirty but somehow thies should have been made to shot factory ammo.   It I had known I was going to have to use reloads, and special reloads at that I would not have spent My hard earned money on this thing.    Hell it’s cheaper to buy new than it is to reload.   Plus I don’t  have the space or equipment to reload.   I have a RMW upper and a Bazooka Brothers lower
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 4:33:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I use factory ammo.   I know pistol power is dirty but somehow thies should have been made to shot factory ammo.   It I had known I was going to have to use reloads, and special reloads at that I would not have spent My hard earned money on this thing.    Hell it’s cheaper to buy new than it is to reload.   Plus I don’t  have the space or equipment to reload.   I have a RMW upper and a Bazooka Brothers lower
View Quote

That's cute....I dunno what math you use, but reloading is much cheaper, unless you factor in yer time with a decent hourly wage, then you are correct. That said, you should have researched your purchase more, it's fairly common knowledge the DI pistol kits need to be fed clean burning, typically reloaded, ammo to function properly for any prolonged amount of time.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 5:50:51 AM EDT
[#5]
What factory are you using? My last outing with WWB we ran 100rnd bulk box without a hitch & it seems to be the worst. Are you oiling the rings?
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 10:17:49 AM EDT
[#6]
This is a list of ammo I am using.  BVAC 230 HP factory reloads, new Remington 230 HP,  Winchester 230 FMJ,  Geco 230 FMJ and PPU (Prvi) 230 FMJ.   That’s what I am using.

No I am not oiling the compression rings.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 12:10:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

That's cute....I dunno what math you use, but reloading is much cheaper, unless you factor in yer time with a decent hourly wage, then you are correct. That said, you should have researched your purchase more, it's fairly common knowledge the DI pistol kits need to be fed clean burning, typically reloaded, ammo to function properly for any prolonged amount of time.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I reload pistol ammo in a basic little Lee Pro1000 reloader. Low priced, works great and I have been cranking pistol ammo out with it for years. The cost of me loading 1k of 9mm is about $30 for primers (bought last month), under $20 for powder (unique) and about $88 for bullets. (Berry's plated). That adds up to about $138 per thousand. I can't buy it for that anywhere near me.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 4:23:34 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
This is a list of ammo I am using.  BVAC 230 HP factory reloads, new Remington 230 HP,  Winchester 230 FMJ,  Geco 230 FMJ and PPU (Prvi) 230 FMJ.   That’s what I am using.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Take some fine emory cloth, wet/dry sandpaper and polish the tail of the bolt including the ring area. By doing this you will remove the phosphate finish closing the pores of the bolt. That is what the residue sticks to. LMK, Ron

Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I reload pistol ammo in a basic little Lee Pro1000 reloader. Low priced, works great and I have been cranking pistol ammo out with it for years. The cost of me loading 1k of 9mm is about $30 for primers (bought last month), under $20 for powder (unique) and about $88 for bullets. (Berry's plated). That adds up to about $138 per thousand. I can't buy it for that anywhere near me.

I use the same press. Not the best but it works. My only issue with the lee is the primers do not always keep flowing but I have been using this press for so long now it is a non issue.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:43:53 PM EDT
[#9]
It’s not the powder.   Last night I broke it down to clean the bolt and carrier.  I got a lot of chunks out of the cylinder for the bolt.   There are also copper flakes with those chunks to.
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 4:09:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It’s not the powder.   Last night I broke it down to clean the bolt and carrier.  I got a lot of chunks out of the cylinder for the bolt.   There are also copper flakes with those chunks to.
View Quote

It's a combination of crummy powders being used these days for some factory loads and obviously, plated rather than jacketed bullets
which have also been popping up in factory loads. Polishing the Bolt tail with super fine Wet or Dry (1500 or 2000 grit) as Ron mentioned
will help immensely. Even to the point of holding it tight around the gas rings. The rings will turn with the paper but that area of the
bolt will be polished too. If you stop the crap from sticking to the bolt, your DI-45 will run just fine. Also running the tail of the bolt
area dry helps as you have mentioned doing. I have a number of Ron's uppers in 45 acp and other calibers and these suggestions work.

Dave in Florida
Link Posted: 4/18/2014 5:04:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

This happens ocasionaly from a burr in the port. Soft plated bullets will do this sometimes but with some shooting it goes away. Is yours a 16"?
You can send it in on my dime on so I can run it to see what is going on.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top