Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2014 1:22:13 PM EDT
Hey guys,

what is the standard threading on a 9mm AR barrel these days?

I'm having my 9mm cut down and was thinking of just getting it threaded 1/2x28 and just making sure I have a FS with enough clearance for the round.  Is that feasible or not?

Thanks in advance...

Link Posted: 4/14/2014 1:45:11 PM EDT
[#1]
9mm barrels are typically threaded at 1/2 - 36 because of the risk of having someone who isn't paying attention installing a .223 flash hider and generating a spectacular failure.  There are 9mm flash hiders out there threaded at 1/2 - 36 in a number of patterns.  I got mine from Spikes (along with the barrel).  Having a stock FH bored out for 9mm is a crap shoot in my opinion.  Get a part that was made for that caliber from the start and avoid the hassles.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 1:49:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Hey guys,

what is the standard threading on a 9mm AR barrel these days?

I'm having my 9mm cut down and was thinking of just getting it threaded 1/2x28 and just making sure I have a FS with enough clearance for the round.  Is that feasible or not?

Thanks in advance...

View Quote

That will work just fine.  Lots of people running 1/2x28 on 9mm's.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 2:35:49 PM EDT
[#3]
I prefer 5/8 x 24....lots of .308 stuff will work with out opening it up.....and very little has to come out if you do have to open one up
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 9:03:52 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the input guys.  I'll probly go with .308 threading as I have a couple comps for that type already.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 4:36:06 AM EDT
[#5]
I prefer 1/2-28 for running suppressors.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 4:26:06 PM EDT
[#6]
My 8" is threaded 1/2 x 28.  I bored out a Rainier Arms mini comp with no issues and it functions and looks fantastic.

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top