Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/23/2013 11:50:39 AM EDT
I am looking for a fairly accurate 22 lr upper or full gun.
Link Posted: 6/23/2013 6:53:24 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a 15/22 that hits what I aim it at, however it is mostly a plinker,

for a good dedicated 22 upper, try a CLE or accuracy speaks conversion,

Link Posted: 6/24/2013 4:18:51 AM EDT
[#2]
What kind of price are they asking for the Performance Center rifle, and what does it get you?  Concur with the previous poster; mine is more a plinker/trainer for my centerfire AR.  Can't say I've spent much time shooting for groups after the initial zero.

If the PC version has worthwhile improvements (say, a good trigger), then it might be worth doing, depending on the price.

What level of accuracy are you looking for, and what purpose do you have in mind?  It would make a great squirrel gun in states where it's legal.
Moon
Link Posted: 6/24/2013 5:25:11 AM EDT
[#3]
The Performance Center Model comes with a match barrel and a tuned 2 stage trigger.  I think under 700 is street price.  I want to do around 1/2" at 50 yards with match ammo
Link Posted: 6/24/2013 6:01:18 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't have much room to talk, with an SSA in mine, but I wouldn't go too crazy on the price.
As I said, it makes a better mid-range small game rifle and 'walkabout' gun (tho' I try not to walk down the railroad by our camp with an 'AR' in this day and age) than a pure target gun.
Moon
Link Posted: 6/24/2013 7:06:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
The Performance Center Model comes with a match barrel and a tuned 2 stage trigger.  I think under 700 is street price.  I want to do around 1/2" at 50 yards with match ammo

That is a completely realistic expectation for the PC version but heed these few warnings:

1) Fire PLATED (re: copper washed or the newer black stuff) Quality, as in not bulk, ammo.
Feel free to experiment with different types & brands. Let your barrel season before passing judgment.

2) DO NOT FIRE HYPER VELOCITY ammo (So like Actually Read your owners manual)

3) Keep the gun out of really hot conditions (95 to 105+) if you are going for accuracy. It aint gonna
melt on you, but the upper will flex when heat soaked causing minor POI shifts.

Ted
Link Posted: 6/24/2013 5:50:15 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

3) Keep the gun out of really hot conditions (95 to 105+) if you are going for accuracy. It aint gonna

Ted

Now that is interesting.  
Moon
Link Posted: 6/25/2013 4:29:08 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ted

Now that is interesting.  
Moon

Hey Moon, this has been, right from day one, the Achilles heel of the M&P15-22. We owned two of the original
offerings and despite S&W's assurances that there is metal under the polymer in all the key areas it became
obvious that in the upper receiver there wasn't enough. The barrel extension inserts in to the upper like in
any metal gun and the barrel nut tightens down on metal threads. Undeniable, and is as it should be. But that
threaded piece only extends a short distance in the upper and as such, when the polymer is very hot, you
can move the barrel with finger pressure. Maybe this issue has been resolved through revisions, but all of the
people down here that shoot enough to know say they are well aware of the problem. It gets really hot in the Ozarks.

Smith knew about this and that is why they put an end cap on the forearm that has the little pimples that restrain the barrel.
That cap helps with barrel rigidity when things get hot. This becomes an issue when owners swap out forearms and
replace them with free-float types. Goodbye barrel support, S&W never intended the barrel to be without it.

So how does this matter to the average guy who shoots for shits-n-giggles? Probably not much at all. But to someone who
is all into accuracy (yeah, like me), it can result in the loss of a match, formal or informal. That is the story behind the comment.

Ted
Link Posted: 6/25/2013 4:34:05 AM EDT
[#8]
I have had one for several years.  Like the trigger, like the barrel, like the stock.  Variations in ammo (one brand to another) are immediate and repeatable.  It is a favorite gun and I use it frequently.  

Bob
Link Posted: 6/25/2013 5:08:28 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

1) Fire PLATED (re: copper washed or the newer black stuff) Quality, as in not bulk, ammo.
Feel free to experiment with different types & brands. Let your barrel season before passing judgment.

Ted

I violated all three of those things on Saturday alone.   (I sure had fun in the Oregon desert... Shame no tasty bunnies came home with me)

I've put a couple thousand rounds through mine.  CCI Mini Mags seem to be the winner for me when I want it to hit a target repeatably.  I put in a cheap set of JP trigger springs in to lighten up the pull (though I occasionally swap in my Geissele when I want to really do some cool stuff with it),  and I had to send the rifle in to S&W to fix an OOB,  and upgrade my old gen springs in the bolt.  

My opinion,  but I wouldn't spend too much upgrading a 15-22.  Trigger springs and a nice butt stock will make it a decent enough shooter.   If MOA is your goal,  you should really step it up to a .223, and play with that.
Link Posted: 6/25/2013 4:33:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ted

I violated all three of those things on Saturday alone.   (I sure had fun in the Oregon desert... Shame no tasty bunnies came home with me)

I've put a couple thousand rounds through mine.  CCI Mini Mags seem to be the winner for me when I want it to hit a target repeatably.  I put in a cheap set of JP trigger springs in to lighten up the pull (though I occasionally swap in my Geissele when I want to really do some cool stuff with it),  and I had to send the rifle in to S&W to fix an OOB,  and upgrade my old gen springs in the bolt.  

My opinion,  but I wouldn't spend too much upgrading a 15-22.  Trigger springs and a nice butt stock will make it a decent enough shooter.   If MOA is your goal,  you should really step it up to a .223, and play with that.

I have sub MOA 223's and 6.5 Grendel to shoot when I want centerfire.  I am not looking for a bullet hose I am looking for 22 LR version of my Centerfire rifles.  If I get one Ill put a Geissele in it, just like the rest of my rifles.  The rifle I am talking about comes from S&W performance center with a match grade barrel.
Link Posted: 6/25/2013 6:42:25 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Ted

I have sub MOA 223's and 6.5 Grendel to shoot when I want centerfire.  I am not looking for a bullet hose I am looking for 22 LR version of my Centerfire rifles.  If I get one Ill put a Geissele in it, just like the rest of my rifles.  The rifle I am talking about comes from S&W performance center with a match grade barrel.
Why not just build a dedicated upper? My TACCOM ULW shoots sub 1 MOA @ 50 yards (with the right ammo). Also, the 14oz barrel coupled with a NSR hand guard makes for an extremely light rifle.

Link Posted: 6/25/2013 6:57:14 PM EDT
[#12]
I may I looked at TACCOM but I am not really interested in light weight and thats all I saw there.
Link Posted: 6/28/2013 7:51:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Hey Moon, this has been, right from day one, the Achilles heel of the M&P15-22. We owned two of the original
offerings and despite S&W's assurances that there is metal under the polymer in all the key areas it became
obvious that in the upper receiver there wasn't enough. The barrel extension inserts in to the upper like in
any metal gun and the barrel nut tightens down on metal threads. Undeniable, and is as it should be. But that
threaded piece only extends a short distance in the upper and as such, when the polymer is very hot, you
can move the barrel with finger pressure. Maybe this issue has been resolved through revisions, but all of the
people down here that shoot enough to know say they are well aware of the problem. It gets really hot in the Ozarks.

Smith knew about this and that is why they put an end cap on the forearm that has the little pimples that restrain the barrel.
That cap helps with barrel rigidity when things get hot. This becomes an issue when owners swap out forearms and
replace them with free-float types. Goodbye barrel support, S&W never intended the barrel to be without it.

So how does this matter to the average guy who shoots for shits-n-giggles? Probably not much at all. But to someone who
is all into accuracy (yeah, like me), it can result in the loss of a match, formal or informal. That is the story behind the comment.

Ted

Excellent info in this post.  I wish it were more widely known and more widely discussed.  You just saved me from buying a rifle which I would have quickly come to decide was a piece of junk.  You saved me time and money.   Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/28/2013 8:53:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ted

Excellent info in this post.  I wish it were more widely known and more widely discussed.  You just saved me from buying a rifle which I would have quickly come to decide was a piece of junk.  You saved me time and money.   Thanks.

The S&W M&P15-22 is far from a piece of junk.  It is a well made and reliable carbine that will out last the operator if
cared for properly. It, like every gun made, has its quirks and peculiarities, the heat issue being one of them that someone
who is intending to use the gun competitively should be aware of. For the casual shooter it may be just right. You would do
well to pick one up at the local gun store and judge it first hand. While I prefer Mil-Spec based metal guns, of the polymer guns
made, the M&P15-22 is the best.

Ted

Link Posted: 6/28/2013 9:22:20 PM EDT
[#15]

The  M & P 15-22 is far from a piece of junk!
I have a 15-22 with over 2k rounds through it, and both a CMMG M4 and TacSol dedicated uppers.
The 15-22 is a very reliable and adequatley accurate rifle, equal to the CMMG upper, neither has missed a beat.  Not target quality, but more than accurate enough for plinking, training and having fun.
Have not shot the TacSol yet. Need to decide what scope to buy.  May throw an Aimpoint  or Eotech on it this weekend to try it out, but I am expecting better accuracy than the other two.
Link Posted: 6/29/2013 11:03:18 AM EDT
[#16]

Excellent info in this post.  I wish it were more widely known and more widely discussed.  You just saved me from buying a rifle which I would have quickly come to decide was a piece of junk.  You saved me time and money.   Thanks.[/quote]

The S&W M&P15-22 is far from a piece of junk.  It is a well made and reliable carbine that will out last the operator if
cared for properly. It, like every gun made, has its quirks and peculiarities, the heat issue being one of them that someone
who is intending to use the gun competitively should be aware of. For the casual shooter it may be just right. You would do
well to pick one up at the local gun store and judge it first hand. While I prefer Mil-Spec based metal guns, of the polymer guns
made, the M&P15-22 is the best.

Ted

[/quote]
Concur entirely.  I've shot the snot out of mine; I've irons on mine, and it's set up like my centerfire.  It's adequately accurate, will eat about anything, and has made me an infinitely better shot with the centerfire rifle.
As  consumers, we all have to decide what what we want out of a gun; mine meets my needs, and didn't cost a whole lot of money.
Moon

Link Posted: 7/2/2013 8:17:57 AM EDT
[#17]
So to summarize the thread to date, no one's actually bothered to shell out for a P/C 15-22, and no one knows of any reviews?
Link Posted: 7/2/2013 12:04:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
So to summarize the thread to date, no one's actually bothered to shell out for a P/C 15-22, and no one knows of any reviews?

Pretty much
Link Posted: 7/2/2013 3:49:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Maybe this:http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f25/s-w-m-p-15-22-performance-center-95826/

or maybe this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTcIgh45u8w

you probably saw this: http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wesson-m-p-15-22/161947-m-p-15-22-performance-center-model.html

and a little bit here: http://m14forum.com/rimfire/107015-first-shots-s-w-m-p-15-22-a.html

Other than this stuff and what I've written here from time to time there aint much goin down.

Ted
Link Posted: 7/2/2013 4:51:55 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I am getting close to that with a reg 15/22 and bulk Federal (from bags and a red dot). I have been super impressed with the accuracy. It is close to that of my Marlin Model 60, and that says a lot.

Link Posted: 7/2/2013 6:37:14 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Maybe this:http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f25/s-w-m-p-15-22-performance-center-95826/

or maybe this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oTcIgh45u8w

you probably saw this: http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wesson-m-p-15-22/161947-m-p-15-22-performance-center-model.html

and a little bit here: http://m14forum.com/rimfire/107015-first-shots-s-w-m-p-15-22-a.html

Other than this stuff and what I've written here from time to time there aint much goin down.

Ted

You have provided good Info on the 15/22 it looks like not many are springing for the performance center model.  I have only found one accuracy based review and that is all I am really interested in.  Thanks again for postining

ETA some one said it sounded like I didnt wasnt people posting about standard 15/22 and I don't mean to come across like a jerk.  Thankful for info on the 15/22 and what any one has to share.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top