Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/18/2012 3:41:23 PM EDT
I'm trying to get my wife back into shooting and I'm thinking about building a light
weight AR .22lr plinker for her. Is there anything out there that could be put together
and come out lighter than a S&W 15-22?

I remember someone building a lightweight a while back,but I can't find the post.

Jack...
Link Posted: 10/18/2012 3:51:56 PM EDT
[#1]
TACCOM3G is the only way to go.
Tim built a complete .22 AR rifle that weigh less than 4 lbs. and shoots 1/2" at 50 yards
Pic of my 17". The scope weighs about as much as the rifle.

Here is Tims

http://www.taccom3g.com/
Dave N
Link Posted: 10/18/2012 4:43:45 PM EDT
[#2]
taccom upper with a polymer New Frontier Arms lower.
Link Posted: 10/18/2012 5:51:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Got it. Thanks guys.

Jack...
Link Posted: 10/18/2012 6:18:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/19/2012 4:43:06 AM EDT
[#5]
Just the amount of the discounted price is enough to scare me and I've never heard of Omni...
Dave S
Link Posted: 10/19/2012 7:49:37 AM EDT
[#6]
The ATI omni at PSA uses a ATI omni poly lower and a chiappa upper.

I second the Taccom ULW upper, I love mine.
Link Posted: 10/19/2012 1:25:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Chiappa, OMG.. I've seen some of them self disassemble.
TACCOM3G is GTG.............

Dave S

Link Posted: 10/19/2012 5:25:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 10/19/2012 6:44:53 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought one of the first Chiappa uppers imported, worked great until some idiot dry fired it until the chamber caved in and handed it back to me...
Link Posted: 10/21/2012 5:09:34 AM EDT
[#10]
New Frontier Armory Lower Complete less stock $72 from JoeBobs
Taccom Upper and Buttstock , CMMG conversion. The one I just built for my
Brother weighs in at 3lbs 7ozs that one has a AP Customs mid-length
Hand guard , standard upper receiver , Taccom Barrel and Buttstock , CMMG Alpha conversion kit ,New Frontier
Lower , Bushnell TSR 25 Redot with. YHM mini riser
Link Posted: 10/21/2012 4:33:50 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Chiappa, OMG.. I've seen some of them self disassemble.
TACCOM3G is GTG.............

Dave S

I have threaded a few of the Chiappa barrels and dont plan to ever thread one again,
I dont know what kind of steel they use for barrels but they cut like pot metal.

Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:08:03 PM EDT
[#12]
I have seen these rifles. I could have bought one new on-sale when they were first coming in for like $280. It was a one-time special from a local major gun shop. I chickened out on it, and have never regretted it for a moment. Some will have OK luck with them, others will not.

I do have two light weight .22 AR's. Both are at or blow the magic 4 pound point. Rifle #1 is a Tac Sol AR22 LT This is a steel liner with an aluminum tubed pressed around it. This is connected to a CavArms polymer lower. Weight is about four pounds, maybe under a bit. Shoots nice.  Second light weight rifle is a TACCOM Light Weight barrel with a pretty normal upper (carbine length FF Hand guard). This one is built on a  New Frontier lower. Complete less sights it comes in at 3.6 pounds. Not bad for a quick build.

If you have never picked up one of these rifles you have missed out. They feel like feathers.
Link Posted: 11/19/2012 8:33:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I  Second light weight rifle is a TACCOM Light Weight barrel with a pretty normal upper (carbine length FF Hand guard). This one is built on a  New Frontier lower. Complete less sights it comes in at 3.6 pounds. Not bad for a quick build.

If you have never picked up one of these rifles you have missed out. They feel like feathers.

got pics ?  i have a NFA lower waiting for a lw .22 upper.

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 6:18:29 AM EDT
[#14]
I have a Taccom ulw upper ordered to go on a Cavarms lower. Should be nice and light and more durable than other polymer lowers. Can't wait till it gets here.

Anyone know how long the wait is for Taccom uppers?

Link Posted: 11/20/2012 7:56:01 PM EDT
[#15]
I built my kiddo a light weight 22LR using the CMMG low profile 16" barrel (they put the front sight on me for cheap), a lefty stag upper, a lefty CMMG kit, one of the polymer lowers, and very basic furniture.  Its not paper light, but its very easy for her to handle.

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 5:08:57 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I have a Taccom ulw upper ordered to go on a Cavarms lower. Should be nice and light and more durable than other polymer lowers. Can't wait till it gets here.

Anyone know how long the wait is for Taccom uppers?

Oh, I could post a picture and make you feel bad...but I am too nice a guy!  I got my first CavArms lower some years back. PIcked up a second one before they went away. One is under a 9mm upper right now, the other.....a TACCOM LW barrel. Its oh so sweet....and sub 4 pounds....its like picking up a pistol!  

Link Posted: 11/22/2012 6:44:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Just get the Smith and have done with it.
Moon
Link Posted: 11/23/2012 10:12:30 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Just get the Smith and have done with it.
Moon

^^This^^^

The ones with the threaded barrel plus a supressor would be a killer plinker.

Link Posted: 11/23/2012 3:11:11 PM EDT
[#19]
get the s&w m&p 15-22.

you might be able to frankenstein together a lighter plinker, but you won't get one more reliable than the 15-22.
Link Posted: 11/28/2012 12:22:02 PM EDT
[#20]
Do all TACCOM LW barrels come with nickel plated collars? I ordered one from Brownells and just received it today, and it came with just a black phosphate collar. I called Brownells and they just told me to send it back for a refund, but I don't really want a refund - I want to finish building my upper. :)
Link Posted: 11/28/2012 2:51:51 PM EDT
[#21]
Aleko....IM coming to you.

Tim
Link Posted: 11/28/2012 3:57:04 PM EDT
[#22]
Tim, IM sent
Link Posted: 11/29/2012 5:29:09 AM EDT
[#23]
We have one of Tims barrels on one of our CMMG uppers. Really like the barrel. It is lightweight and accurrate. With a Rifle length freefloat handgaurd and magpul stock it weighs right at 5.7 pounds with the "real" lower. I suppose you could save a few ounces using a plastic lower, but not worth it in my opinion to do so.. I just prefer metal on the bottom..

This may or may not be true but it seems to me a .22 upper is alot harder on a lower than a 5.56 upper is. I would stick to a aluminum lower if possible.
Link Posted: 12/1/2012 1:19:53 PM EDT
[#24]
Hey I'm a newbie to this site and new to guns. I've been looking for a reliable AR style tactical .22 that I can just go out and have fun with and this thread has intrigued me. I really like the look of the .22 AR rifle that you built and the one TIM built. Remember again that I'm a new gun lover without much experience and I want a gun that accepts all standard MIL SPEC uppers and accessories. Would you suggest that I attempt to build one similar to yours or go ahead and order a complete rifle? If you think I should go with the latter of the 2 then any suggestions...S&W M&P 15-22 or any others?
Link Posted: 12/1/2012 2:26:59 PM EDT
[#25]
I would suggest getting a dedicated upper.

The TACCOM is the way to go if you want an Ultr Light barrel. It will still accept any standard AR free float hand guard.

If you want a closer to mil version, get the CMMG. It's made from real AR parts.
I always suggest the stainless bcg for either one.
Dave N
Link Posted: 12/2/2012 7:20:44 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Oh, I could post a picture and make you feel bad...but I am too nice a guy!  I got my first CavArms lower some years back. PIcked up a second one before they went away. One is under a 9mm upper right now, the other.....a TACCOM LW barrel. Its oh so sweet....and sub 4 pounds....its like picking up a pistol!  

Please post picture! I have a practically new CavArms lower in OD. Need a little nudge.
chris
Link Posted: 12/2/2012 7:56:08 AM EDT
[#27]
Speaking of pistols:
All TACCOM barrels
7" with CAR flash hider and M.I. 9" Gen ll SS

10" with Levang and 10" M.I. Gen ll T Series

4" with TAC65 and M.I. Gen ll T Series
Link Posted: 12/2/2012 8:27:32 AM EDT
[#28]
nice ! got more pictures of the first one ? can you slip a tac65 underneath ?
Link Posted: 12/2/2012 8:50:53 AM EDT
[#29]
Yes I can. The M.I. has enough clearance. I use either a fake can or a CAR flash hider when not using the TAC65 to keep the flash out of the hand guards.

Sorry for the crappy cell pics. All I got right now.
Dave
Link Posted: 12/2/2012 9:49:56 AM EDT
[#30]
very nice. thanks. did you use a regular barrel nut or bought the one from MI ? ( $19 a piece..)
Link Posted: 12/2/2012 1:46:13 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Speaking of pistols:

All TACCOM barrels

10" with Levang and 10" M.I. Gen ll T Series

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/TACCOM_4_007.jpg

where did you get the TACCOM 10", do they still make them?

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top