BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 10/3/2012 1:46:15 AM EDT
Ok, so I'll make this as short and simple as I can.
I work at a plastic injection molding facility as a mold maker. With that being said I can build a mold if I want on my own dime after I'm off the clock.

Some time ago, jonmalibuss, a member on here done a gas 45 AR build. In the process, he made some inserts to use standard AR mags.
Actual build thread with pics of inserts

With future plans of starting a gunsmithing/machining shop up, I have been thinking of custom products I could offer for sale.

So here's the big question.

Would there be any interest in a production replacement for the internals of a standard AR magazine, compared to the buying of mag blocks and alternative magazines?

My initial focus is on the Magpul PMAGs due to knowing at least a 45 will work in it with no mods, but can start working on files for steel mags if interest is there.
My objective is to possibly give another option for using the masses of AR mags some of us already have that also have pistol caliber uppers. Which would also not be permanent.
Also the replacements include body filler, follower, and spring. For the Pmags, a new floor plate holder piece would be accompanied.

Any "consumer" input would be nice.
Link Posted: 10/3/2012 2:11:36 AM EDT
[#1]
I think its a sweet idea, but it probably would be useless to me as my 9mm ar is blowback, I need an ejector.
Link Posted: 10/3/2012 2:14:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Something to consider is that the PMag is not a fixed design and the design has changed a couple times already, and there's a large change coming soon with the M3 revision.  The M3 revision appeared to be changing the floorplate mounting.  So, making something to retrofit into the PMag might not be the best option for long term product viability.

Plus, they retail at a higher price than GI type aluminum mags... since the mag is essentially just a shell to hold the actual mag, I would think that using the USGI magazine as a base would be preferable.

It's also a consideration that folks in ban states might have preban USGI type mags, which would allow them an option that would not be available otherwise for alternative calibers.
Link Posted: 10/3/2012 2:19:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I think its a sweet idea, but it probably would be useless to me as my 9mm ar is blowback, I need an ejector.

Ah, yea I forgot to add that bit in there. That itself may kill the idea as I don't know how many gas guns are out there.
Link Posted: 10/3/2012 2:27:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Something to consider is that the PMag is not a fixed design and the design has changed a couple times already, and there's a large change coming soon with the M3 revision.  The M3 revision appeared to be changing the floorplate mounting.  So, making something to retrofit into the PMag might not be the best option for long term product viability.

Plus, they retail at a higher price than GI type aluminum mags... since the mag is essentially just a shell to hold the actual mag, I would think that using the USGI magazine as a base would be preferable.

It's also a consideration that folks in ban states might have preban USGI type mags, which would allow them an option that would not be available otherwise for alternative calibers.

That is a good point with the M3 coming out, but I would think the length and internal design, for the most part, would be the same. But my thinking with this is to use the magazines someone already has stocked up on.

I have a basic layout of the GI mags, but have put this off for a few months and haven't done a precise measuring of the internal dimensions.

That is a really good point that I have not even thought about. Living in a state that doesn't have all the ban rules and what not I never think about stuff like that.
Link Posted: 10/3/2012 2:41:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Just wanted to add some pics of what I have drawn up so far. Sorry for the size. I've resized the pics several times, but seems not to keep.

Top profile

Right side

Ramp detail

Angle view
Link Posted: 10/4/2012 12:35:06 PM EDT
[#6]
I want to add that in the next day or so i will be starting on a quick rendering for GI magazines to possibly give ban states extra option due to limited mag options.
Link Posted: 10/5/2012 8:48:45 AM EDT
[#7]

Link Posted: 10/6/2012 8:55:17 AM EDT
[#8]
I've been working with RMW Xtreme and the 45's for some time now. In that process, we've gone through a number of magazine ideas.
Ron has tried the modded standard and non standard USGI 20 and 30 round magazines and I've tried PMags and several others. I found
that modified Cammenga Mags work with the 45 Win Mag but not so well with the 45 acp. The problems we've run into with the standard
style magazines is that the feed lips will only hold a small number of rounds back before they pop back out the top. Weak feed lips.

I have a set up that Ron designed, it uses feed lip modified PPS-43 Mags with a mag block. works great for 10 rounds or less but needs
further work on the spring to hold more rounds. The feed lips are strong enough, I'm just not strong enough to push more rounds in.

Ron designed a block that mounts to a Modded Grease Gun Magazine that is Awesome. No block in the lower. Round count depends on
how many spring coils can be cut and maintain reliable feed and the users strength.These magazines must have come preloaded for the
Soldiers of WW II. Still, it works great for 20 or more rounds.

Our last step has been a modified 9mm lower, Ron opened up to accept Glock's 45 acp Mags. This works with my Kriss extended Glock 21
Magazines perfectly. 30 rounds. For ban states it will work with 10 round Glock 30 Mags too.

I feel, anything that's done with a newly designed USGI Style Mag should be one that feeds rounds from the front, near the chamber. Too much
chance of problems when rounds are held at the rear and have to travel forward.

We'd be happy to test anything you come up with but both have boxes of somewhat failed attempts at modifying standard type, available AR Mags.

Dave / SpecOps-13 in Florida

Added, Ron has other modified magazines of various types that work with all the pistol caliber uppers he builds. 9MM, 357 SIG / 40 S&W and up to
50 A&E and Government.  Still, would like to look over and test your ideas...Options are a great thing.
Link Posted: 10/7/2012 10:19:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Dave, thanks for that info.

I was messing around with one of my USGI magazines the other night and experienced what you are talking about. Found something to easily entertain my 3 year old nephew as he thought it was hilarious when the rounds started shooting out the top after getting past 10 rounds of 45. Since I don't own a 9mm or 40s&w, I couldn't try them out. I do think that they would work a little better, having a smaller diameter than the 45.

Honestly, I believe the PMags will be the best bet out of the mags I want to work with. The feed lips and body for that matter have very little flex unlike the USGI style mags, as last night I could physically feel and see the body open a small amount for every round I inserted.

With the local university having a rapid prototyping machine available, in the near future I'm going to send them the files to get some different versions made with variations to the dimensions and get a spring company to make a few sample springs to do load testing and see what can and can't be done. I was at the point where i was ready to do this a couple months ago, but got a virus on my computer that killed my hard drive so the more important files were corrupted. And with that comes redoing the files, which isn't as big a problem as I had the basic layout files backed up.

I will definitely keep you and Ron in mind if/when I get this done for testing and reviews.

That lower with the modded 9mm lower sounds pretty nice.

Thanks again.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 10:09:49 AM EDT
[#10]
I run PMAGS only, as does everyone else i know with an AR. A retro fit option would be great but if they are changing there product and have a couple times already ensuring the right fit would be difficult. Since you work in a factory that allows use of their equipment, and are making a body filler and new follower. Have you tried making the shell as well? or making a shell that includes the body filler as part of the design?

Also if the modifications were permanent these mags may be in a legal grey area in some states since they could be converted back to 30 round mags, and those living in places like that would be able to purchase a 10 round dedicated mag from you but not the kits to modify a 30 rounder since they couldnt buy the PMAG.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 12:21:31 PM EDT
[#11]
Copying over from post in AR general discussions.

Quoted:
So your saying, you can make internals to make a pmag work for firing 45acp? Just need an upper with the proper barrel and bolt?

I would go for that in a hart beat. (pending funds of course)

Yes, that's what I'm saying. The only thing needing to be on is testing for function and tweaking.

As far as pricing, I wouldn't know that until i get a final product to release to machine the mold and figure out the amount of polymer each part will need. After that the only difference in pricing would be any added coloring. I do have Solidworks Premium which includes everything i need to also be able to figure out cost estimates.

Quoted:
That is not a bad idea. My only question is that which pistol caliber uppers would the inserts work with?   I would not mind building a 9mm/40/45 system.

My plans are to make a system that will either work with all three or have a convertible mold that can be changed over for a more caliber specific.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 2:05:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I run PMAGS only, as does everyone else i know with an AR. A retro fit option would be great but if they are changing there product and have a couple times already ensuring the right fit would be difficult. Since you work in a factory that allows use of their equipment, and are making a body filler and new follower. Have you tried making the shell as well? or making a shell that includes the body filler as part of the design?

Also if the modifications were permanent these mags may be in a legal grey area in some states since they could be converted back to 30 round mags, and those living in places like that would be able to purchase a 10 round dedicated mag from you but not the kits to modify a 30 rounder since they couldnt buy the PMAG.

I haven't thought about making a completely new shell but this is why I posted,  to hear opinions and options.  I will definitely write that down to add to the list of things to try out.

Since I'm not completely up to snuff on states with mag limits and all that, where can i get the most accurate information?
And does anyone know who i would contact about possibly pinning a body filler in and the legalities of that. That's another option I was thinking of.
Link Posted: 10/8/2012 10:16:52 PM EDT
[#13]
I would think just making mags for whatever caliber/version you want that fit the AR magwell would be easier and not restrict you to a certain magazine to use as a shell. That would also eliminate all the dimensional uncertanties of using some other manufacturers product as a base for your design to work.
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 12:41:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I would think just making mags for whatever caliber/version you want that fit the AR magwell would be easier and not restrict you to a certain magazine to use as a shell. That would also eliminate all the dimensional uncertainties of using some other manufacturers product as a base for your design to work.

It would be easier but harder at the same time to make a completely new magazine shell. I have thought about it, but for a start up kind of thing, I just want to do a filler. The main reason is the size of a mold needed to do the filler compared to an entire shell. If I can get enough interest in this, I would go get a loan for the larger project. But as it stands right now, the smaller project looks to be winning. On a different but same note, if I did do the smaller parts first and enough interest was shown I could then just build the shell to work with the already made parts.

As far as the dimensional uncertainties, I've pretty much got the mag dimensions extremely close if not exact. There are minor detail I still have to plug in, but they are ones that wouldn't really matter at all for the end product.

Hope all that makes sense, I'm running on fumes today.
Link Posted: 10/11/2012 7:53:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Inserts for the mag well or inserts in the mag, how about neither

If your going the plastic route just build a mag that works with
whatever pistol round you want, but with the outside like a AR mag, a la
blackdog.

Link Posted: 10/11/2012 8:12:56 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

If your going the plastic route just build a mag that works with whatever pistol round you want, but with the outside like a AR mag, a la blackdog.    

this.

no matter what mag you have its still going to be an involved process to swap out the internals for a pistol cartridge. A conversion kit would be about the same production cost as a new mag. I  for one would rather have a full size mag foe whatever cartridge i am shooting. Dropping the floor plate, yanking the spring and follower, and replacing all of it, seems like a major PITA when i could buy a few dedicated mags. If you are going to invest in an upper a few mags shouldnt be an issue sepecially when the conversion wont save money.
Link Posted: 10/13/2012 8:37:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

If your going the plastic route just build a mag that works with whatever pistol round you want, but with the outside like a AR mag, a la blackdog.    

this.

no matter what mag you have its still going to be an involved process to swap out the internals for a pistol cartridge. A conversion kit would be about the same production cost as a new mag. I  for one would rather have a full size mag foe whatever cartridge i am shooting. Dropping the floor plate, yanking the spring and follower, and replacing all of it, seems like a major PITA when i could buy a few dedicated mags. If you are going to invest in an upper a few mags shouldn't be an issue especially when the conversion wont save money.

Sorry if this sounds like me being an a**, but I'm not trying to be. I have stated a couple of times that the main objective here is to use some of the mass stocks of magazine some of us already have. I know a handful of guys that have a minimum of 10 magazines per rifle and a couple 15 per. Yes, it may sound paranoid or wasteful for some, but you should see us during a shoot day, no stops for reloading mags. As far as the dropping of the internals to switch the new ones out, that is actually the original idea of this. But if all this happens with the filler only, I will offer the magazines for sale with all the work already done and also offer a kind of buy back for the original internals. I understand both of your points, and I will keep it in mind.

Just to add, the reason I have been trying to avoid moving toward an entire magazine is I can build the mold for the filler and other parts in about 40 hours taking it slow and keeping a good finish. Building a mold for an entire magazine would essentially take a minimum of a month due to adding all that additional machining and engineering for the magazine cavity. That is not to mention the mold size would at least double. Now by all means I'm not making excuses, I'm just stating some points.

I think I made sense, but I worked 55 hours this week and then another 12 today, so I'm kinda beat.
Link Posted: 10/15/2012 6:57:22 PM EDT
[#18]
I like the idea.  I can see a totally stock looking .45 ar in my future now.
Link Posted: 10/24/2012 8:46:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Some pics of the floor plate.

Link Posted: 10/24/2012 10:26:54 PM EDT
[#20]
Great idea! I'd def buy a pistol caliber upper if mags weren't an issue.

ps...i voted, too

~WTS
Link Posted: 11/1/2012 11:08:58 PM EDT
[#21]
Alright guys and gals, I've been debating on doing this for a few days. I decided to go ahead with it.

If you are interested in this, please send me an email with:

Your user name on here
Your real name
Which version you are interested in getting
What color options you would like so I can get an idea of how many colors to offer if I do get this going
What calibers you will be using this with (in case I do go with caliber specific followers)
How many you would be interested in getting
Which way you like to get this: just the replacement parts or a magazine already set up with the parts
What city and state you live in

And I ask two more things, use an email you get regular mail to because I will see about sending updates out as well as posting on here.
Second, title the subject AR Pistol Cal Mag only that way I know to add you into the update group and all that.

That's all I can think of right now.
Link Posted: 11/15/2012 11:06:19 AM EDT
[#22]
Well surprisingly enough, I haven't had an requests for being put on a list, but that's alright I'm still working on this.

Updates :
I've acquired a few new CAD softwares tat are molding specific that will speed up a few things up.
I have only a couple more tweeks to do with the body filler for the PMAG 30 Rev M and will be getting a couple prototypes done to test fit.
I made a couple of changes to the floor plate for better exterior appearances, and but it's pretty much finished.
As soon as I get the filler sizing completed, I will start on the follower.

If anyone possibly has any magazines that are broke or cracked.... Or anything that makes it unusable. Shoot me an email because I am haven't a really hard time talking myself into chopping up a perfectly fine magazine to do these last measurements that I need..Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 12:55:48 AM EDT
[#23]
Alright, well I figured it's time for bump.

A couple weeks ago, I sent some files off for 3D printing and the parts should have shipping on the 4th Tuesday. No update from them, so I figure with the holidays coming up and Thanksgiving having passed recently they may be a couple days late, no big deal.

I do know that if this idea shot off to a start with people wanting some to try out, I have a source that could get some out without doing a complete set of molds like I had planned.
It would, however, be somewhat costly doing it the printed way as the floor plate alone is roughly $5 to get printed and the body filler $31. And then there's the 2ish week wait for me to get the parts from printing.
Not to mention the follower I haven't had to time to finish up on designing and then finding a source for readily available (non-custom) springs.

Will update once I get the parts.
May even show off the baffle design for a suppressor I've been drawing up as it's one of the parts I'm getting printed too to see design functionality and machinability.
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 9:51:03 AM EDT
[#24]
If this works for 9mm, and still holds the bolt on last round, and works like it should, I am in.
Link Posted: 12/7/2012 8:13:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
If this works for 9mm, and still holds the bolt on last round, and works like it should, I am in.

The standard pmag follower will hold 9mm just fine, so if I don't change that profile all that much it'll still work. I am definitely planning on keeping the back profile for last round bolt hold open.

I'm not sure if I'm more ready for the mag parts to come in or the baffle.
Link Posted: 12/15/2012 4:38:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Good news!!! Got the parts in last night. For now I only got a floor plate since I need to change a couple things on the filler before getting it printed. And kinda disappointed in the baffle I got.. the fine detailing was not there at all, rough spots all over the thing.

As for the floor plate, I got it spot on to what I was wanting, just need to get a spring on the way to check the clip fittings.

Let me know what you guys think.
Link Posted: 12/15/2012 9:23:42 PM EDT
[#27]
From the post in general AR Discussions.

Quoted:
Quoted:
Interesting. Which is this one for? the USGI mag to be able to hold 45?

No. This one is for the PMags. I didn't think to put that in the post. It's appearance is a little rough, but the fitting and positioning on the floor plate is perfect. Nice close but not tight fit on the tab part holding the bottom piece on, but a closer fit than the original stock piece.

I've come to the conclusion that making a USGI mag hold 45 isn't gonna be easy due to all the flexing. With some permanent mods, it can be done. However, one of my goals with this is for there to be no need for permanent mods. That way people can have the change over kits for mags they already have, while having an upper in pistol caliber, but if they ever sell it, they can keep the mags due to being able to change them back to original setup. A 20 round USGI mag may work better due to the shorter body, but I don't have one to test out on the flexing.

And to be quite honest, I currently have no plans to pick one up, seeing how only 6 of the 84 votes on the other thread are for a 20 rounder. I really wish more people would add a vote on this... 84 votes out of over 1500 views (even though 12 of those votes don't count as they were basically no's to my question. That's less than 5% voting. Numbers like that would make someone less persistent to just drop the project, make a few for himself, and forget everyone else that doesn't have the needed skills or equipment.

Even more so, the post I did asking for emails to get a list going to see if doing a mold would be a viable option. I have yet to have a single email about it, so there must not be that must true interest in it.
I didn't want to add this in the post, but anyone that signed on in the beginning for the updates would get a free kit or a decent discount for helping getting this going. That was going to be something added into the email updates, so I wouldn't all of a sudden get a hike in interest and everyone wanting on the list due to that small detail. (Kinda like some of the posts in the EE, where someone says first however many gets it for free, or yada yada)

If you're still reading this, thanks. It's nice to know someone actually reads the entire posts. And also sorry for the ranting, but with no information coming in that I minutely need, I can't get a good forecast on how/where this product will end up. Kinda like the Magpul PDR, not enough interest from the military for contracts so they snubbed it.

Link Posted: 12/26/2012 6:32:40 AM EDT
[#28]
Looks pretty sweet, I definately wanna see an update.  If you need more input, I would like to see .45 or 9mm.  What is a possible price for a conversion kit?
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 4:42:13 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Looks pretty sweet, I definately wanna see an update.  If you need more input, I would like to see .45 or 9mm.  What is a possible price for a conversion kit?

Ditto.......
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 7:11:44 PM EDT
[#30]
Looks great, how far away are functioning mags?
Link Posted: 12/26/2012 9:29:28 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Looks great, how far away are functioning mags?

With several projects going on and going back and forth with them, I really can't say. This entire month I've been planning on working on finishing the body fillers for good and starting on a working version of the follower. However, I've been putting other paid projects ahead of my own, which indeed does suck. I did, however, get the floor plate piece completed for sure, as well as for sure finding a surplus spring design that will work. Grease gun magazine springs are the right dimensions of what I had first designed the spring snaps to work with. The only problem is they run $13-20 a piece, and they have to be cut to length to work. I'll be contacting some spring manufacturers in the near future to work out a quote on a production run. For a prototype run, it'll be around $500 for 20ish pieces. But that's because they have to do their thing to get it up and running and then only for that short amount of work.
Link Posted: 1/8/2013 8:37:31 PM EDT
[#32]
No updates, just wanted to bump it.
Link Posted: 1/9/2013 5:07:42 AM EDT
[#33]
I understand how your feeding modification works with a locking bolt and direct impingement (DI) operating system as the plunger ejector is retained.  How would this magazine work on a direct blowback system? The magazine block incorporates a fixed ejector.

Interested in a response to this. I would be interested in the product for DI application in a 45 acp upper but DI system pistol uppers are rare and probably account for less than 1% of pistol caliber rifles, severely limiting your market.
Link Posted: 1/9/2013 9:27:52 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I understand how your feeding modification works with a locking bolt and direct impingement (DI) operating system as the plunger ejector is retained.  How would this magazine work on a direct blowback system? The magazine block incorporates a fixed ejector.

Interested in a response to this. I would be interested in the product for DI application in a 45 acp upper but DI system pistol uppers are rare and probably account for less than 1% of pistol caliber rifles, severely limiting your market.

I've been thinking of that for a few weeks now. Just with other things coming ahead of this project, I haven't had a real chance to do anything for a couple weeks. I've been in the process of getting the jobs that I'm getting paid for done so I have the free time again, but some of them get put on hold too and that's what I've been working on. So updates on this part are basically none existent.

DI pistol cal uppers are definitely not as out there as blowback uppers, but this might help them get more out there, don't know.

I know this is probably not exactly what you were wanting to hear, but I do keep in mind that it's nice to promptly answer a question when asked even if it's not completely helpful.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 1:34:28 AM EDT
[#35]
Bump to keep from archiving. Still no update though, work sucks these days and no free down time.
Link Posted: 2/2/2013 9:56:33 AM EDT
[#36]
I've been subscribed to this thread from the beginning.

OP, any chance you could make versions compatible with Oly style uppers?
Might be difficult since they feed from the front of the magwell as opposed to the middle though.

I have a 40cal gun that I love.
Link Posted: 2/5/2013 11:45:50 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
I've been subscribed to this thread from the beginning.

OP, any chance you could make versions compatible with Oly style uppers?
Might be difficult since they feed from the front of the magwell as opposed to the middle though.

I have a 40cal gun that I love.

I'm adding small things to look into once I get a chance to get back on this to get the most compatible system out for people, but for now it's on hold (which is driving me crazy as the parts are laying on my tool box at work starting at me everyday). Gotta get finished with new molds and a list of repairs on older ones at work first though.
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 7:34:32 AM EDT
[#38]
Posted by Therealkoop;

Mount the ejector in the lower like on a factory colt.
Link Posted: 2/6/2013 10:32:01 PM EDT
[#39]
Bump to save from archive, plus it could be very badass.
Link Posted: 2/25/2013 1:40:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Any progress?
Link Posted: 2/25/2013 7:27:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Any progress?

Unfortunately not. I have talked to a couple people about 3D printers, but that's about it (Speaking of that, I need to email that guy back with some files to test print). My day job has me beyond overdone by the time I get home. I haven't even opened the files up in two weeks. I have a few more projects to do at work and then I can get back on it.

I know people are keeping notes on this and are wanting progress, but none more than myself. I can assure you of that.
Link Posted: 3/22/2013 11:13:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Damn, letting this get away from me.Bump.
Link Posted: 3/23/2013 1:27:06 AM EDT
[#43]
Long before I became a member (last week). Long before I bought my first AR 9mm part (lastI month). Long before I decided I would build a 9mm (last December), I added this thread to my favorites. I have 3 usgi 5.56 magazines that I stare at thinking about ways to make what your talking about doing happen.
Please do this.
Link Posted: 3/23/2013 1:46:17 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Long before I became a member (last week). Long before I bought my first AR 9mm part (lastI month). Long before I decided I would build a 9mm (last December), I added this thread to my favorites. I have 3 usgi 5.56 magazines that I stare at thinking about ways to make what your talking about doing happen.
Please do this.

Well thanks man. I in some way plan on doing this, even if it's nothing but getting some 3D printed which is more costly in the long run. We got one our machines at work fixed so it runs a little better now and can use the tool changer too. The main parts I'm having to deal with getting right is the actual filler part, but the time I get to work on this is getting less and less with my brother taking a job in South Korea working 28/28 and my taking care of his son / my nephew, working 58 hours a week at my real job, doing design work on the side for people once I get home for about 16 hours a week, and then of course good ol' house chores.
Link Posted: 3/23/2013 2:55:11 AM EDT
[#45]
I can't pretend to know what obstacles you're up against. However, I say you get a prototype together and kick start it. A guy raised over $20k last year to develop covers for an aimpoint red dot.
I would be among the first in line to donate money to your kickstarter campaign if you can make it happen.
+1
kickstarter campaign for lens cover
Link Posted: 3/23/2013 8:37:17 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
I can't pretend to know what obstacles you're up against. However, I say you get a prototype together and kick start it. A guy raised over $20k last year to develop covers for an aimpoint red dot.
I would be among the first in line to donate money to your kickstarter campaign if you can make it happen.
+1
kickstarter campaign for lens cover

Oh dang that is awesome. One because I've wondered why aimpoint never brought out a cover for the micro and two because that's a way to get your idea of there for more people to see.
Link Posted: 4/10/2013 10:12:40 AM EDT
[#47]
Bumping this back up.

Only update is that I talked to a 3D printer rep about possibly leasing a machine and he also recommended a few semi local places that may be interested in working with me and the project since they're in a similar field of products,  i.e. PRIMOS.

So I'll be getting in contact with the guy up there in a couple of weeks when I get another free day to take off and get a couple of parts made while there.
Link Posted: 4/11/2013 8:15:20 PM EDT
[#48]
How about 7.62x25? Most conversions use PPs43 mags with an insert, but the dimensions on the surplus mags vary widely. I am thinking curved inserts at the front and rear of a metal 30 rounder, shaped to recreate the internal dimensions of the PPs-43 mags. Then use the PPs-43 spring and follower. Maybe work with Ron Williams.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 4/12/2013 9:55:04 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
How about 7.62x25? Most conversions use PPs43 mags with an insert, but the dimensions on the surplus mags vary widely. I am thinking curved inserts at the front and rear of a metal 30 rounder, shaped to recreate the internal dimensions of the PPs-43 mags. Then use the PPs-43 spring and follower. Maybe work with Ron Williams.

Add the ability to use the existing mag release somehow on the Pps mag - the shell should have a way of being retained in the lower (maybe insert from the top?) and allow the AR mag catch to latch to UNMODIFIED Pps43 mags.... that - to me- would be the ultimate adapter.  It is what I tried to design and get produced but it always seemed to get lost in translation...

Link Posted: 4/12/2013 11:47:44 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Add the ability to use the existing mag release somehow on the Pps mag - the shell should have a way of being retained in the lower (maybe insert from the top?) and allow the AR mag catch to latch to UNMODIFIED Pps43 mags.... that - to me- would be the ultimate adapter.  It is what I tried to design and get produced but it always seemed to get lost in translation...

What I was getting at was using plastic inserts inside a 30 round GI mag body to form a faux PPs-43 body. Insertion and release would work just like a GI mag, but have the correct internal dimensions, spring, and follower for the 7.62x25. the plastic inserts would be cheap, and the conversion would be simple and reversible. Remove the GI floor plate, spring, and follower. Drop in the plastic inserts with the PPS-43 follower and spring in the middle, then put the GI floor plate back on. Easy peasy.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top