Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/1/2012 4:58:43 AM EDT
I have looked around and wanted to get reviews of which would be better.  DDLES or LWD for a dedicated 9mm Lower that takes glock mags, or is there another option (just say no to olympic).

Also I was wondering if anyone had good experience with any specific uppers with either of these options.  

Downfall to LWD is that I dont think I can build into a pistol configuration which is something I am thinking about to get the shorter barrel until I can get the SBR completed.

Thanks
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 5:40:05 AM EDT
[#1]
DDLES is going to get 90% of the votes. I dont have a dog in this fight either way, but if it was my money DDLES would be the way to go. Long waits right now though.
As far as uppers Ron Williams DI 9mm uppers will be hard to beat, theres a thread right under the one you started that can fill you in on the details. Unless you really want blow back operation instead. Then just about anyones will do.
Enjoy your build

Link Posted: 7/1/2012 6:04:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
DDLES is going to get 90% of the votes. I dont have a dog in this fight either way, but if it was my money DDLES would be the way to go. Long waits right now though.
As far as uppers Ron Williams DI 9mm uppers will be hard to beat, theres a thread right under the one you started that can fill you in on the details. Unless you really want blow back operation instead. Then just about anyones will do.
Enjoy your build

DDLES costs about 25% more but is what I am currently leaning to as I can get it in a Pistol Config,  Major issue right now is getting a bolt carrier that is modified to work with glock mags.  I am looking at RRA's 7.5 or 10.5 uppers that come with a bolt and can get LWD to do a mod for $35.  DDLES costs $229 for a bolt.
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 6:48:29 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Downfall to LWD is that I dont think I can build into a pistol configuration which is something I am thinking about to get the shorter barrel until I can get the SBR completed.

Why couldn't you? The back half of the lower is standard AR. Just put a pistol buffer tube on it and you're good to go. LWD even sells (or at least used to) a pistol configured lower.

The DDLES has a LRBHO, the LWD doesn't. You may need to use +10% mag springs to activate the bolt hold open though. The DDLES is much more likely to be in spec.

I've already got a LWD, but the DDLES wasn't even rumored when I got the LWD, otherwise I'd have waited.

The bolt is no big deal, ADCO and numerous other shops can modify any 9mm bolt to work with the Glock mags.  The only issue with the RMW DI upper is it appears to be for reloaders only at this point.  Unless you want to go with .40 S&W or .357 Sig, then I'd definitely get the RMW over any of the blowback uppers.

Link Posted: 7/1/2012 7:05:27 AM EDT
[#4]
I own a DDLE and when My buddy saw it , he put his LW up for sale and ordered a DDLE, the quality is much better and currently there are no waits. As for the bolt I took it to a local machine shop with a mag , explained what i wanted and it took them 5 minutes and $20 and now my AR Pistol is awesome..
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 8:48:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Why couldn't you? The back half of the lower is standard AR. Just put a pistol buffer tube on it and you're good to go. LWD even sells (or at least used to) a pistol configured lower.

The DDLES has a LRBHO, the LWD doesn't. You may need to use +10% mag springs to activate the bolt hold open though. The DDLES is much more likely to be in spec.

I've already got a LWD, but the DDLES wasn't even rumored when I got the LWD, otherwise I'd have waited.

The bolt is no big deal, ADCO and numerous other shops can modify any 9mm bolt to work with the Glock mags.  The only issue with the RMW DI upper is it appears to be for reloaders only at this point.  Unless you want to go with .40 S&W or .357 Sig, then I'd definitely get the RMW over any of the blowback uppers.

I looked at LWD and they now only sell a completed Rifle Lower, no stripped or pistol.  I am not sure of the legalities of switching it to a pistol before final completion as its signed over as receiver only
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 9:24:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I have looked around and wanted to get reviews of which would be better.  DDLES or LWD for a dedicated 9mm Lower that takes glock mags, or is there another option (just say no to olympic).

Also I was wondering if anyone had good experience with any specific uppers with either of these options.  

Thanks

here is My Pistol..
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 9:30:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

here is My Pistol..
http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x370/irag2362/6457ca56.jpg

Nice looking DDLES lower and pistol, what upper are you running?
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 9:37:54 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I am not sure of the legalities of switching it to a pistol before final completion as its signed over as receiver only

Completely legal as long as it's never been assembled as a rifle, meaning it had to have both a stock and a barrel on it.  It should transfer as "other" on the 4473, but that's irrelevant.

Link Posted: 7/1/2012 10:46:47 AM EDT
[#9]
Another question I have is that this gun is direct blow back so it does not need a gas tube and block.  With this can I attach a clamp on block anywhere along the barrel for a Midlength or rifle length with no issues??
Link Posted: 7/1/2012 10:53:03 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Another question I have is that this gun is direct blow back so it does not need a gas tube and block. With this can I attach a clamp on block anywhere along the barrel for a Midlength or rifle length with no issues??

If you want, yes.  I'm using a 9" MI SS tube, a 5" BCM barrel, and a Gemtech MultiMount.  Have a MBUS mounted to the top of the rail.  But yeah, you can mount a gas block anywhere you want on the barrel assuming the diameter matches up with the gas block.

Link Posted: 7/1/2012 11:02:42 AM EDT
[#11]
DDLES all the way, (not even close) Very sweet lowers! Got mine in 3-4 days! (if in stock)

To use Glock mags is worth the extra $$, much easier to load and same mags as my pistols for less clutter. (KISS) Lighter mags too and even works with baby clock mags for flush fit.

I did the bolt mod myself  without a mill. (I had to try it )

For those that are "handy",,, just  insert a  Glock mag  and drag the bolt on the left follower to see the line, mark the line down the bolt. Rig up a straight edge in a padded vice, use a router type attachment on a roto tool (or rig something) for a straight line  I found the little hard green stones where best and work better at high speed with low pressure, (took 1 1/2 stones) (Make sure you have enough of the same stones as to not change the shape)  clean each checking, go until the mag seats and clears bolt movement and leaves no drag marks, polish milled area with a felt wheel and compound . Cold blue and you wont even know it was done. Was quite easy for me and works perfect.  

If you are NOT "handy" send it in to be done.

Link Posted: 7/1/2012 11:17:38 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Another question I have is that this gun is direct blow back so it does not need a gas tube and block.  With this can I attach a clamp on block anywhere along the barrel for a Midlength or rifle length with no issues??

You can as long as the block is the right ID. It's easier to use a free float handguard  like a Troy/viking battle rail  that uses your barrel nut as a clamp and looks better with a can.

Link Posted: 7/1/2012 11:39:11 AM EDT
[#13]
That was what I was thinking as well and Gemtech puts out a sweet upper
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 4:46:18 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

here is My Pistol..

Nice looking DDLES lower and pistol, what upper are you running?

It is a spikes upper, with a JSE 7 inch barrel, I cut down a DPMS FF tube and have a Cmmg bolt..  thanks for the compliment.. it is a blast to shoot, just trying to decide on a red dot now..
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 8:50:20 AM EDT
[#15]
I got a DDLES Glock Lower attached to a 16in Spikes 9mm Upper. I couldnt be happier. Although I havnt taken it to the range, the rifle performs flawlessly with snap caps and the bolt hold open work like a charm.

Link Posted: 7/2/2012 9:10:50 AM EDT
[#16]
I have decided I am going to go with the DDLES Glock Lower with MIAD and F93 stock and a RR Arms 16in upper with Samson SS 10" rail (I Think, may go 12")
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 2:04:31 PM EDT
[#17]
you cannot go wrong.. good luck , show the pics when your done..
Link Posted: 7/2/2012 3:36:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

here is My Pistol..

Sweet looking setup!
Just wondering what Buffer Tube you are using?

Thanks,
Jason

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 1:59:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks

here is My Pistol..

Sweet looking setup!
Just wondering what Buffer Tube you are using?

Thanks,
Jason

I bought it from Surplus ammo, it was 19.99   http://www.surplusammo.com/ar-15-pistol-buffer-tube-spiral-fluting/

i wanted a pistol only tube for now to avoid  hassles, later when i sbr the gun, it will change of course.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 5:35:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
i wanted a pistol only tube for now to avoid  hassles, later when i sbr the gun, it will change of course.

Thanks, that's exactly why I asked.  I'm planning on doing the same thing.

Thanks again,
Jason
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 8:46:37 AM EDT
[#21]
the one thing that was weird for me is there is no need for a castle nut, the tube holds the back plate in when it screws into the lower.. after building many AR's that was a first for me..lol I added a little blue lock tight to the threads to ensure it wouldn't back out.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 9:57:11 AM EDT
[#22]
DDLES is a awesome lower.  I got the Colt version and it runs flawlessly.
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 3:53:47 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
the one thing that was weird for me is there is no need for a castle nut, the tube holds the back plate in when it screws into the lower.. after building many AR's that was a first for me..lol I added a little blue lock tight to the threads to ensure it wouldn't back out.

I understand its not needed but can you still use the castle nut?  The stock I am using may need it
Link Posted: 7/3/2012 3:57:49 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I understand its not needed but can you still use the castle nut?  The stock I am using may need it
Whether or not the castle nut is needed is dependent on the buffer tube used.  You're not going to be using a stock with the pistol buffer tube shown above, neither are you going to be using a castle nut.  

Link Posted: 7/3/2012 6:53:36 PM EDT
[#25]
with the tube I used a castle nut will stop the tube from threading all the way in, so No you cannot use one with this tube
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top