Site Notices
7/21/2014 6:12:25 PM
Author
Junior Grade Poster
Military
Posted: 6/8/2012 12:33:18 AM
[Last Edit: 6/14/2012 11:07:26 AM by UncivilEngineer]
I've always been interested in getting a 9mm AR, but was never impressed with the reports I've read on the other brands. Found a Colt 6951 for $1075 online and ordered it. I know it's a bit of money, but it has a flat top upper and a pony on the magwell, so it's worth it to me

What do I need to know about these things? Sounds like metalform mags are the best bet for spares. What about spare FCG parts, specifically can I use a standard rounded hammer in this thing?
This is a house of learned doctors.
Mac_Fan
Han shot first!
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/8/2012 2:16:35 AM
If you don't get the help you're looking for here, the Colt Forum is another option.
"Traveling through hyper-space ain't like dusting crops boy."
Landric
Not worried about the Zombie Apocalypse
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/8/2012 8:19:51 AM
The new Colt 9mm carbines (which includes the recent 6450 with the carry handle) have ramped bolts and stainless fire control pins. Basically, they are set up to be 9mms now and shouldn't have the problems with egged pin holes or broken bolt stops. They also include a 9mm heavy buffer and buffer spacer.

My recent 6450 came with Colt marked Metalform magazines dated 6/98. They work perfectly, but C-products mags also work perfectly. I prefer Metalform because they are of higher build quality and my CMMG dedicated 9mm lower doesn't do well with the C-products mags. I'd stick with Metalform, though if your Colt is like mine, C-products mags might work just fine.
"The Engine could still smile...it seemed to scare them." -Felix
UncivilEngineer
Junior Grade Poster
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/8/2012 5:05:43 PM
[Last Edit: 6/8/2012 5:06:47 PM by UncivilEngineer]
Originally Posted By Landric:
The new Colt 9mm carbines (which includes the recent 6450 with the carry handle) have ramped bolts and stainless fire control pins. Basically, they are set up to be 9mms now and shouldn't have the problems with egged pin holes or broken bolt stops. They also include a 9mm heavy buffer and buffer spacer.

My recent 6450 came with Colt marked Metalform magazines dated 6/98. They work perfectly, but C-products mags also work perfectly. I prefer Metalform because they are of higher build quality and my CMMG dedicated 9mm lower doesn't do well with the C-products mags. I'd stick with Metalform, though if your Colt is like mine, C-products mags might work just fine.

Thanks for the info. Looking forward to shooting this thing. Have an Aimpoint Micro waiting to be mounted. Not sure if I'm going to keep the Rogers stock or throw on an M4 stock. Any suggestions on where to get Colt spare parts?
irag2362
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/8/2012 5:26:48 PM
enjoy it..
UncivilEngineer
Junior Grade Poster
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/8/2012 5:43:07 PM
Got it from DSG Arms if anyone is interested in picking one up. Only dealer I could find with the flattop upper.

http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/COAR6951.aspx
maleante
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/8/2012 7:02:47 PM
Originally Posted By UncivilEngineer:
-snip-
Thanks for the info. Looking forward to shooting this thing. Have an Aimpoint Micro waiting to be mounted. Not sure if I'm going to keep the Rogers stock or throw on an M4 stock. Any suggestions on where to get Colt spare parts?

Colt brand spare parts can be purchased at SAW HERE. Be warned that the prices are HIGH.

In my opinion, the only "spare part" that you may need is THIS but you can buy the "same" part from RRA for $8.50 HERE

Besides getting a spare bolt catch and finding the right stock, KNS pins are cheap "insurance". If that were my gun, I would do the KNS pins.

Where are the pics????????
I'll save my thoughts on the people who can spend any amount of dollars on a rifle but can't devote 20 minutes to getting their body in shape for another thread. -skinnysarge79
Woody600
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/10/2012 5:13:06 AM
[Last Edit: 6/10/2012 5:13:33 AM by Woody600]
Very nice! I love my 6450! Are you going to get a Form 1 rolling?

When mine gets back, I will be sending my upper in to Adco to get the barrel cut to SMG length. I was going to buy an SMG barrel but they are hard to get new and they go for a ton. And SA won't answer my emails.

Tempted to track down a flat-top upper like yours too. Trying to resist getting an RRA one.
Combat_Jack
Green Suited Salaryman
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/10/2012 5:28:32 AM
Find Mark Gales address. I've never waited more than 24 hours to hear back from him, even on Saturday.
30 miles a week, upper body, dieting and reading incessantly sucks. Nobody is going to pay to do that shit. -sylvan
UncivilEngineer
Junior Grade Poster
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/10/2012 10:00:51 AM
Rifle should be here on Tuesday. I'll be sure to post some pics. Going to keep the 16" barrel for now, as the Navy has me move too much to deal with NFA stuff. Would definitely like to SBR it someday, though.
UncivilEngineer
Junior Grade Poster
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/13/2012 10:04:31 PM
Took the matech sight off and replaced it with an MBUS and Aimpoint Micro. Going to the range on Friday to try it out.

UncivilEngineer
Junior Grade Poster
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/13/2012 10:46:45 PM
Some more pics of the internals. Bolt is ramped, buffer includes a spacer, and it appears as though they are using an M16 hammer. FCG pins are stainless. Just ordered a Maglula for this thing. Holy shit, those mags are hard to load. "Bumping" them seems to work fine after the first 5 rounds, but still a pain in the ass.

maleante
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/14/2012 2:53:07 PM
Nice pics OP.

In the past, Colt would put a dab of black paint over the bolt catch pin area (if marred), the staking on the castle nut or lockring, and over the holes they drilled for the pinned magblocks in the lower. It seems they are leaving that out of new production 9mm AR's.

In other threads on touching up marred finishes, Steyr recommends using a "stove black" paint on the AUG receivers, CZ recommends using "matte black auto touch up paint" on their enamel coated pistols, and others on the internet have mentioned using high temp bbq paint.

I'll save my thoughts on the people who can spend any amount of dollars on a rifle but can't devote 20 minutes to getting their body in shape for another thread. -skinnysarge79
duckdog
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/14/2012 9:44:50 PM
Nice rifle. You should spend the $30 now forf a Lula mag loader. It's well worth it.
halfmoonclip
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/14/2012 11:26:55 PM
I'm running a Geissele SSA in my Colt with no problems to date and 1K rounds thru' it.
Yeah, you want a mag loader, the maglula or the ProMag '5 at a time' arrangement.
Not worth loading mags w/o a loader.
Moon
crushgrip
R.I.P. Forest Fires
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/18/2012 3:57:12 AM
So I gotta' ask a question here instead of starting a new thread, sorry OP. I picked up a 6951 and wanted to put a different fore end on it but the YHM ril that is on my M&P AR wont't fit. I was sorta' wanting VTAC style with out all the rails on it to keep things light. Any help or suggestion would be great. Thanks and nice piece OP.
If I could figure how to have sex with my Microtech Crosshair without having to have a ample supply of Celox syringes on hand we would be making the beast with two backs right fucking now.
UncivilEngineer
Junior Grade Poster
Military
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/18/2012 7:49:00 AM
Originally Posted By crushgrip:
So I gotta' ask a question here instead of starting a new thread, sorry OP. I picked up a 6951 and wanted to put a different fore end on it but the YHM ril that is on my M&P AR wont't fit. I was sorta' wanting VTAC style with out all the rails on it to keep things light. Any help or suggestion would be great. Thanks and nice piece OP.

I'm thinking of putting a MOE handguard on it, so I'd be interested to hear what does and doesn't work as well
crushgrip
R.I.P. Forest Fires
Link To This Post
Posted: 6/18/2012 3:18:54 PM
My buddy runs a MOE and it works great, I kinda' want to use one as well but here are our observations on that set-up. The MOE requires you to add the rail pieces if you want to run a light. After you add the rail section you have to add the light and mount(maybe a scout light or similar light would work better) so you have quite a bit of stuff that works loose after putting rounds on it. Even with various mounts tried and a liberal amount loctite applied the lights eventually shake loose some real quick and others not so much. It also hangs out a bit more because of the rail pieces being thick. I wish a MOE was made that had the rails built in to them in key places such as light mount and RSA/MSA areas.
To the best of my search ability the M&P is all milspec and so is the Colt 6951 so why won't my YHM fit on it?
If I could figure how to have sex with my Microtech Crosshair without having to have a ample supply of Celox syringes on hand we would be making the beast with two backs right fucking now.