Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/7/2012 8:33:18 PM EDT
I've always been interested in getting a 9mm AR, but was never impressed with the reports I've read on the other brands. Found a Colt 6951 for $1075 online and ordered it. I know it's a bit of money, but it has a flat top upper and a pony on the magwell, so it's worth it to me

What do I need to know about these things? Sounds like metalform mags are the best bet for spares. What about spare FCG parts, specifically can I use a standard rounded hammer in this thing?
Link Posted: 6/7/2012 10:16:35 PM EDT
[#1]
If you don't get the help you're looking for here, the Colt Forum is another option.
Link Posted: 6/8/2012 4:19:51 AM EDT
[#2]
The new Colt 9mm carbines (which includes the recent 6450 with the carry handle) have ramped bolts and stainless fire control pins.  Basically, they are set up to be 9mms now and shouldn't have the problems with egged pin holes or broken bolt stops.  They also include a 9mm heavy buffer and buffer spacer.

My recent 6450 came with Colt marked Metalform magazines dated 6/98.  They work perfectly, but C-products mags also work perfectly.  I prefer Metalform because they are of higher build quality and my CMMG dedicated 9mm lower doesn't do well with the C-products mags.  I'd stick with Metalform, though if your Colt is like mine, C-products mags might work just fine.
Link Posted: 6/8/2012 1:05:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
The new Colt 9mm carbines (which includes the recent 6450 with the carry handle) have ramped bolts and stainless fire control pins.  Basically, they are set up to be 9mms now and shouldn't have the problems with egged pin holes or broken bolt stops.  They also include a 9mm heavy buffer and buffer spacer.

My recent 6450 came with Colt marked Metalform magazines dated 6/98.  They work perfectly, but C-products mags also work perfectly.  I prefer Metalform because they are of higher build quality and my CMMG dedicated 9mm lower doesn't do well with the C-products mags.  I'd stick with Metalform, though if your Colt is like mine, C-products mags might work just fine.

Thanks for the info. Looking forward to shooting this thing. Have an Aimpoint Micro waiting to be mounted. Not sure if I'm going to keep the Rogers stock or throw on an M4 stock. Any suggestions on where to get Colt spare parts?
Link Posted: 6/8/2012 1:26:48 PM EDT
[#4]
enjoy it..
Link Posted: 6/8/2012 1:43:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Got it from DSG Arms if anyone is interested in picking one up. Only dealer I could find with the flattop upper.

http://dsgarms.com/ProductInfo/COAR6951.aspx
Link Posted: 6/8/2012 3:02:47 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
-snip-
Thanks for the info. Looking forward to shooting this thing. Have an Aimpoint Micro waiting to be mounted. Not sure if I'm going to keep the Rogers stock or throw on an M4 stock. Any suggestions on where to get Colt spare parts?

Colt brand spare parts can be purchased at SAW HERE. Be warned that the prices are HIGH.

In my opinion, the only "spare part" that you may need is THIS but you can buy the "same" part from RRA for $8.50 HERE

Besides getting a spare bolt catch and finding the right stock, KNS pins are cheap "insurance". If that were my gun, I would do the KNS pins.

Where are the pics????????
Link Posted: 6/10/2012 1:13:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Very nice! I love my 6450! Are you going to get a Form 1 rolling?

When mine gets back, I will be sending my upper in to Adco to get the barrel cut to SMG length. I was going to buy an SMG barrel but they are hard to get new and they go for a ton. And SA won't answer my emails.

Tempted to track down a flat-top upper like yours too. Trying to resist getting an RRA one.
Link Posted: 6/10/2012 1:28:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Find Mark Gales address. I've never waited more than 24 hours to hear back from him, even on Saturday.
Link Posted: 6/10/2012 6:00:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Rifle should be here on Tuesday. I'll be sure to post some pics. Going to keep the 16" barrel for now, as the Navy has me move too much to deal with NFA stuff. Would definitely like to SBR it someday, though.
Link Posted: 6/13/2012 6:04:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Took the matech sight off and replaced it with an MBUS and Aimpoint Micro. Going to the range on Friday to try it out.

Link Posted: 6/13/2012 6:46:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Some more pics of the internals. Bolt is ramped, buffer includes a spacer, and it appears as though they are using an M16 hammer. FCG pins are stainless. Just ordered a Maglula for this thing. Holy shit, those mags are hard to load. "Bumping" them seems to work fine after the first 5 rounds, but still a pain in the ass.

Link Posted: 6/14/2012 10:53:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Nice pics OP.

In the past, Colt would put a dab of black paint over the bolt catch pin area (if marred), the staking on the castle nut or lockring, and over the holes they drilled for the pinned magblocks in the lower. It seems they are leaving that out of new production 9mm AR's.

In other threads on touching up marred finishes, Steyr recommends using a "stove black" paint on the AUG receivers, CZ recommends using "matte black auto touch up paint" on their enamel coated pistols, and others on the internet have mentioned using high temp bbq paint.

Link Posted: 6/14/2012 5:44:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Nice rifle.  You should spend the $30 now forf a Lula mag loader.  It's well worth it.
Link Posted: 6/14/2012 7:26:55 PM EDT
[#14]
I'm running a Geissele SSA in my Colt with no problems to date and 1K rounds thru' it.
Yeah, you want a mag loader, the maglula or the ProMag '5 at a time' arrangement.
Not worth loading mags w/o a loader.
Moon
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 11:57:12 PM EDT
[#15]
So I gotta' ask a question here instead of starting a new thread, sorry OP. I picked up a 6951 and wanted to put a different fore end on it but the YHM ril that is on my M&P AR wont't fit. I was sorta' wanting  VTAC style with out all the rails on it to keep things light. Any help or suggestion would be great. Thanks and nice piece OP.
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 3:49:00 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
So I gotta' ask a question here instead of starting a new thread, sorry OP. I picked up a 6951 and wanted to put a different fore end on it but the YHM ril that is on my M&P AR wont't fit. I was sorta' wanting  VTAC style with out all the rails on it to keep things light. Any help or suggestion would be great. Thanks and nice piece OP.

I'm thinking of putting a MOE handguard on it, so I'd be interested to hear what does and doesn't work as well
Link Posted: 6/18/2012 11:18:54 AM EDT
[#17]
My buddy runs a MOE and it works great, I kinda' want to use one as well but here are our observations on that set-up. The MOE requires you to add the rail pieces if you want to run a light. After you add the rail section you have to add the light and mount(maybe a scout light or similar light would work better) so you have quite a bit of stuff that works loose after putting rounds on it. Even with various mounts tried and a liberal amount loctite applied the lights eventually shake loose some real quick and others not so much. It also hangs out a bit more because of the rail pieces being thick. I wish a MOE was made that had the rails built in to them in key places such as light mount  and RSA/MSA areas.
To the best of my search ability the M&P is all milspec and so is the Colt 6951 so why won't my YHM fit on it?
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top