Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 3/18/2012 4:39:00 PM EDT
I just put a suppressor on my M&P 15-22. The sound of the bullet is practically silent compared to the very loud PING / CLUNK sound transmitted through the receiver and stock right into my right ear.

I noticed the buffer tube is hollow. Anyone try to fill that with something to dampen the sound?
Link Posted: 3/18/2012 5:20:27 PM EDT
Do not own a SW but I do not see where it would hurt to put something in there.What I would put in there is some of that water pipe insulation foam.It comes in differant diameters..Sure would not hurt to try it.
Link Posted: 3/18/2012 5:37:40 PM EDT
That's "the sound of freedom"!

You hear it that loudly because your hearingrotection/ear is basically resting on the stock. It is harmless.

Actually, the action spring sound is useful, because it will tell you when the bolt locks back.
Link Posted: 3/18/2012 6:04:38 PM EDT
There is no way to stop that sound, I wonder if you know how the
rifle actually functions.
Link Posted: 3/19/2012 9:12:07 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Banditman:
I wonder if you know how the
rifle actually functions.

Um, yes. Do you? The buffer tube is hollow and open on the back. No spring inside like a real AR. Going to try and fill it with something to deaden the sound.
Link Posted: 3/19/2012 12:21:13 PM EDT
Just stuff a rag or old T shirt in it as that should be enough, no need to spend money if this works.
Link Posted: 4/19/2012 6:25:51 PM EDT
I filled mine with about 50 rounds of .22LR. I haven't shot it since so I don't know if it deadens the sound or not
Top Top