Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/27/2011 7:08:44 AM EDT
So they seem to have been around a while but I dont see a whole lot about them on here. They look great in the pictures so how are they in the real world.

Been thinking hard about a 9mm AR
Link Posted: 10/27/2011 8:02:48 AM EDT
[#1]
If you really want one, go right now and buy one. You're gonna be waiting for quite some time for it to show up, so you got pleanty of time to shop and buy the rest of the parts for your SBR. They do look fantastic, but their ability to put them out is seriously lacking. Also, they are really pricy for their products. I know, quality and uniqueness costs...but damn. I'm sure the owners of them are truely satisfied with their purchase, but you better have some money to spend and time to wait, cause you gonna need both to get a DDLES 9mm set of receivers or rifles.
Link Posted: 10/27/2011 5:56:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Didnt seem too far out of line compared to most decent billet receivers
Link Posted: 10/27/2011 6:31:37 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
So they seem to have been around a while but I dont see a whole lot about them on here. They look great in the pictures so how are they in the real world.

Been thinking hard about a 9mm AR

They are sweet. I have a set up I like and I tell you it runs like a Swiss Watch. They do have them in stock if you don't want any customizing. You could have it in less than two weeks..

In stock link

Link to YouTube video
Link Posted: 10/28/2011 10:44:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Those who have a DD lower, some help please.
I assembled my lower and the ejector is loose in its place. My old ejector in the Hahn block is rigidly in place with little movement.
I presume I need to tighten the allen head set screw in the action to firm up the ejector and make sure it is sufficiently close to the bolt. Correct?
I guess they just assembled the ejector leaving the tightening to me.
I can't believe it would work properly flopping about.
Thanks. Just checking before I tighten it up more than the factory did. No instructions came as to how to adjust the ejector.
Link Posted: 10/29/2011 2:33:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Those who have a DD lower, some help please.
I assembled my lower and the ejector is loose in its place. My old ejector in the Hahn block is rigidly in place with little movement.
I presume I need to tighten the allen head set screw in the action to firm up the ejector and make sure it is sufficiently close to the bolt. Correct?
I guess they just assembled the ejector leaving the tightening to me.
I can't believe it would work properly flopping about.
Thanks. Just checking before I tighten it up more than the factory did. No instructions came as to how to adjust the ejector.

Watch YouTube vid in my post just above...
Link Posted: 10/29/2011 7:30:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks, that answers the question. I may  be oblivious but I'm cautious about it. Seriously, it would be nice if they came with a simple spec sheet that explains the unique features that you don't run into on other lowers.
This means I'm ready to go. As much as I hate indoor ranges, I will give it a quick road test today.
I had problems with last loaded round eject with my Hahn block and some of the mags I used. I tested RAA, ProMag and CProducts, it was the C Products mags that had the most reliability with my RRA upper and JD Machine lower. The others would flop out the last loaded round and jam it up in the action when the bolt came forward.
I live in ten round mag Ca. so I'm getting some  32 round Metalform mags sent to me broken down into parts to chop down to ten round size. Simple process. Just figure out what length is needed by loading in ten, cut the mag, cut the spring,  insert and aluminum block in the cut end drill and tap it for button head machine screws just like the process for shortening Grease Gun magazines. I don't have a chop saw but luckily a friend has a metal working shop and can make a clean chop, so I don't have to hack saw again. He can also cut the base rectangles out of some .500" aluminum that I have. Simple process. I don't want to pin them. Prefer the shortened mag.
Link Posted: 10/29/2011 7:49:46 AM EDT
[#7]
No prob.
I had the same worry so I called them when I got mine. It dose list it in the reasons you should buy this lower but I missed it. Mine runs great with all the mags I used. C products and Metalforms. Sorry to hear you have to castrate your mags. I move out of CA 27 years ago and only go there to play and visit my family. Have fun at the range. Let us know how it went..
Link Posted: 10/29/2011 1:44:16 PM EDT
[#8]
Let me start again. somehow deleted my post. First of all, if it wasn't for family and friends I'd be out of this looney bin. It is getting super crowded here and I hate the hassle, but I'd rather be married than have high cap mags and the house is paid for.
I screwed up and put a new 9mm hammer from Brownells in the DD lower just because I had it. Trouble is, the bolt charges when the hammer is cock but when the hammer is in the fired position, the bolt is locked in place. SO. Home from the range, change to the old hammer and off to the range again. Must have been in the cocked position when I initially checked for function. Annoying.
At the range, I had a couple FTEs with Amer Eagle 115 ammo but then it settled down and no more happened. My old black follower and new orange follower C products mags worked great. Fiocci ammo also worked great, operating the gun with authority. The gun likes most 115 in the 1150 Fps range but really likes 1200 plus ammo and 123 grains bullets. I bought a light recoil spring from Brownells which I will clip to carbine length and try in the gun to see if it improves 115 round functioning.
The RRA mag ($45!) continued to pop last loaded round out and up into the top of the receiver jamming the gun. The Promag mags did the same to a mildly lesser degree. these will be sold along with the hammer and the Hahn mag block.
Next stop will be to bob some Metalforms and see how they function.
Overall, I like the lower. Obviously high quality. They had it in stock and shipped immediately, function is excellent and I wish I'd got one of these to begin with.
I also noticed that because of the short ten round mags, I tend to rest my hand under the mag well and mag which pushes up on the mag. I think pushing the mag up like that contributes to malfunctions. I now just grab the forend. jp
Link Posted: 10/29/2011 3:43:03 PM EDT
[#9]
By the way, that 9mm hammer that doesn't work with the RRA upper? It's a RRA hammer. I forget what hammer is in the gun but it works. Annoying that both the RRA magazine and hammer don't work properly with the RRA upper. Their buffer seems okay.
Link Posted: 10/29/2011 5:35:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Glad to hear you got it sorted out.
It would be nice to have my house paid off that is for sure but I would not have the toys I have to I guess there is the trade off..
I think you will have good luck with the metalform mags and C Products you could get more mags here dirt cheap but you live in Commiefornia. If you can get them to ship them to you in parts that would be sweet.. I would try to change my grip too. I use an AFG and I like it a lot.

As for the RRA parts, I run the RRA receiver and the BCG is RRA ramped buy ADCO and the rifle just runs sweet.. Mine is an SBR with a suppressor full time so I have a Voltor H5 buffer and a Extra power spring from Springco and like I say it runs great.. Almost forgot I only run 147gr ammo through it as it is subsonic. I may try some 115 just to see how it function though..
Link Posted: 10/29/2011 7:31:45 PM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for the info. I got some Metalforms from CDNN. Someone is disassembling for me and shipping here as parts. Legal as parts, just don't assemble.
Used to be into old guns but the black gun thing grabbed me and I'm having fun with them. Bullet buttons, off list lowers and ten round mags and you can play here.
Link Posted: 10/29/2011 7:36:33 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 10/29/2011 8:00:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Wow those look pretty cool. Ya gotta do what you gotta do.. Honestly I think 10 rounds is enough before a reload. Now if these rifles were full auto...
Link Posted: 10/29/2011 8:34:39 PM EDT
[#14]
A fellow on the CNCguns.com sells these bases and kits to shorten. The 45 acp conversions with dedicated lowers like Bazooka Bros use GG mags. For the Bazooka lower you also need to cut a mag catch notch in the right place on the GG mag. I think the CNC lower uses the mags without a new notch.
I was thinking about a 45 so I did up some mags just for the heck of it. We'll see. It's a little expensive at $375 for a stripped lower and $750 for a gas operated Williams upper.
Might just be simpler to go Oly although those mags are huge. I've seen the whole thing sell for as low as $600 including one mag and they make ten rounders.
Plus with the oly upper you still have the option to drop a 5.56 upper on it.
Fun with guns.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top