BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Posted: 11/24/2010 9:36:41 AM EDT
I want to put a folding stock on my dedicared .22LR lower. In theory it seems possible, what about the legality? 26" total length right if it can be fired from a colapsed stock? I have a Velocity polymer .22LR upper on Plum Crazy lower. I tried searching this section and couldn't find any build threads. The picture thread has a couple but no info on them. I would like to see more pictures and build ups if anyone has any on ANY BRAND .22 LR lower/upper if possible. Can anyone help?
Link Posted: 11/24/2010 10:35:15 AM EDT
[#1]
I believe ATF measures overall length with the stock extended. You should be OK under Federal law. State law is another matter, of course.
Link Posted: 11/24/2010 12:53:35 PM EDT
[#2]
AGP sells a nice little folding stock specifically for that purpose.  

Link Posted: 11/24/2010 6:36:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Would be nice if Magpul made a folding stock for the AR 22's
Link Posted: 11/25/2010 6:49:12 PM EDT
[#4]
ACE makes the folding mechanisms & you can adapt what stock you want to run from that, or go with one of their complete assemblies.
Link Posted: 11/25/2010 7:10:34 PM EDT
[#5]
I have the AGP model and I really like it. I have had ACE setups about every which way you can, and so far, like the AGP the best.

Link Posted: 11/25/2010 7:38:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Is the stock in the way of the ejection port when folded?
Link Posted: 11/25/2010 7:51:07 PM EDT
[#7]
It sits at about the same level, but there is a good 3/4" between the stock and receiver, so it seems to work fine.

I never shoot that way anyway, but if a guy had too......it is good that it seems to work that way.
Link Posted: 11/25/2010 10:45:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Would be nice if Magpul made a folding stock for the AR 22's

+1
Link Posted: 11/26/2010 3:33:24 PM EDT
[#9]
I've been changing up mine a bit lately....

Tromix stock

This is where I have it now and I'm happy with it. I have a little more flexibility with a collapsible stock.

Link Posted: 11/26/2010 3:52:36 PM EDT
[#10]
I like the adjustable folder. Did you use an ACE kit on it?
Link Posted: 11/26/2010 3:57:20 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I like the adjustable folder. Did you use an ACE kit on it?

Yes it's an ACE kit. It's the AR Compact version receiver block. I had a spare buffer tube, castle nut and a Vltor stock so I figured why not.
Now I can throw on any collapsible stock and I'm also able to use my VTAC sling with the QD attachments. I couldn't do that with the other
2 stocks I had on before.
Link Posted: 11/26/2010 4:27:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I have the AGP model and I really like it. I have had ACE setups about every which way you can, and so far, like the AGP the best.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/001301.JPG

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/004224.JPG

Build details? Like how you mounted the handguard on that barrel?
Link Posted: 11/26/2010 6:59:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/001301.JPG

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/medium/004224.JPG

1. SBR'd Bushmaster Carbon Pistol
2. APG stock
3. Home brew modified 10/22 barrel built for AR.....cut to approx. 7"
4. Levang comp machined to hold a round handguard cap in the correct place to retain the MOE handguards
5. Shortened Armalite SPR rail
6. USC HK SL8 front and rear sights.

Link Posted: 11/26/2010 8:31:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

2. APG stock
4. Levang comp machined to hold a round handguard cap in the correct place to retain the MOE handguards
6. USC front and real sights.

Source?  Tried a search and found nothing even close?
Link Posted: 11/26/2010 8:41:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:

2. APG stock
6. USC front and real sights.

Source?  Tried a search and found nothing even close?

I am sorry...I meant SL8 sights. I find them hear and there on e-bay and gunbroker.
Link Posted: 11/27/2010 9:21:26 AM EDT
[#16]
I googled several different options to try and find just the ACE folding kit without the stock. Can anybody help w/ links? I really like the posted guns so far, keep the pictures coming.
Link Posted: 11/27/2010 10:47:16 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I googled several different options to try and find just the ACE folding kit without the stock. Can anybody help w/ links? I really like the posted guns so far, keep the pictures coming.

Here's a link to a page on their web site. You can get an idea of what's available & go from there.

http://riflestocks.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=85
Link Posted: 11/27/2010 11:53:24 AM EDT
[#18]
more feedbacks on the AGP stock ? not seeing much pictures.
Link Posted: 11/27/2010 12:02:44 PM EDT
[#19]
dbl
Link Posted: 11/27/2010 12:03:40 PM EDT
[#20]
So if I'm seeing the ACE foling mechanism correctly you need 3 parts coming in at $110 without the stock ot tube.
Link Posted: 11/27/2010 1:49:26 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
So if I'm seeing the ACE foling mechanism correctly you need 3 parts coming in at $110 without the stock ot tube.

That is why i decided to try the APG this time around....and am not disapppointed.
Link Posted: 11/27/2010 2:19:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

If you're going to run a collapsible stock, you would need....
this
this
and this.
It comes out to $113.90 without the stock and buffer tube.

You could also use...
this
but it would extend the length of pull on your stock.
Link Posted: 11/29/2010 9:45:53 AM EDT
[#23]
I am curious, I have been seeing a lot of airsoft knock-off stocks that may work too. I purchased this one but will have to mill the end to thread into my receiver:

EDIT:
Just found this one on Amazon and is about $100 cheaper than the ACE setup.

http://www.amazon.com/UTG-Model-Folding-Stock-Adaptor/dp/B002TUSDQ2/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1291056484&sr=8-7
Link Posted: 11/29/2010 12:16:22 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I am curious, I have been seeing a lot of airsoft knock-off stocks that may work too. I purchased this one but will have to mill the end to thread into my receiver:
http://www.ebairsoft.com/images/middle/M4_M16_foldable_stock.jpg

EDIT:
Just found this one on Amazon and is about $100 cheaper than the ACE setup.
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/410tQPNWpPL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/UTG-Model-Folding-Stock-Adaptor/dp/B002TUSDQ2/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&qid=1291056484&sr=8-7

I have seen that folding mechanism on the net as well, but it looks like it may sit too high and interfer with the charging handle....maybe not
Link Posted: 11/29/2010 12:34:44 PM EDT
[#25]
Will it thread into the AR lower receiver and accept a buffer tube?
Link Posted: 11/29/2010 3:44:47 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Will it thread into the AR lower receiver and accept a buffer tube?

It seems it is meant to add the hinge for folding to an AK already fitted with an AR stock. So I assume then, That the exterior threaded part will screw into the receiver and the interior threaded part can receive a standard AR threaded stock. We will see because I ordered it 5 minutes after posting. For $17 and free shipping, it is worth the chance, all else fails I can sell it at the next gun show. The reason they are probably not marketing it for an AR is someone will try it with a standard 5.56 regular gas operated setup and it blow up in their face.
Link Posted: 11/30/2010 6:18:39 AM EDT
[#27]
I've got one coming also. We will see how it works.
I'm not expecting it to be as strong as the ACE adapter. On the other hand, I've been pleasantly suprised with some of the stuff I have tested from UTG in the last couple of years.

Edit:
I spoke with an engineer at UTG this morning. He told me it will screw into the receiver and accept the buffer tube.
If it holds up, it would be a great alternative.
Dave
Link Posted: 11/30/2010 7:44:11 AM EDT
[#28]
Hope it sits low enough to let the charging handle work.
Link Posted: 11/30/2010 7:50:32 AM EDT
[#29]
It will be close.
Link Posted: 11/30/2010 11:20:35 AM EDT
[#30]
that would be great. Price is much better than ACE than pretty much owns the hinge market
Link Posted: 12/2/2010 6:56:21 AM EDT
[#31]
Any update yet?
Link Posted: 12/2/2010 7:12:23 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Any update yet?

I haven't received it yet. I hope to get it before the weekend so I can put it together. The stock that I do have that folds, I haven't found a machinist to thread it for the receiver.
Link Posted: 12/2/2010 9:14:20 AM EDT
[#33]
I've got a call in to get some info.
Link Posted: 12/2/2010 11:27:51 AM EDT
[#34]
im dying to know about it as well. will someone post pics when they get theirs?
Link Posted: 12/2/2010 12:30:09 PM EDT
[#35]
UTG will be calling me back shortly. They are going to mount the adapter in an AR to check clearance on the charging handle and to verify it will work. Even if it doesn't clear, it can't be by much.
One option would be to use the CMMG polymer charging handle and sand the bottom down until it clears.

I spoke with David Ding, the owner, and was iformed in the next year, he will be setting up operations in the U.S. for U.S. made optics. Good to see with so many other companies sending business over seas.
UTG has been working very hard to up their game and build higher quality gear. I have seen a definite change over the last couple of years.
Link Posted: 12/2/2010 1:16:10 PM EDT
[#36]
Bad news and good news.
The folding mechanism is 1/4" too high as it is.
The good news is UTG is going to redisign one, quickly, to work with an AR.
I spoke with the engineer and convinced him there would be a market for it so long as it was sturdy, fit, and functioned.
They will be getting back to me and I will let you know.
Dave
Link Posted: 12/2/2010 1:30:51 PM EDT
[#37]
It just looked too high in the pic........I had a feeling.
Link Posted: 12/2/2010 1:55:32 PM EDT
[#38]
Yes, that sucks but I believe they will work quickly to remedy the problem since they know there is a market for them.
My biggest concern is stability. If it doesn't lock up tight, it will be a flop and I will stress this to them. I hate wobbly stocks. I sold an AK folder for that reason.
Dave
Link Posted: 12/2/2010 2:30:28 PM EDT
[#39]
I've got a ZM collapsible sidefolder on mine, it works great.

[edit:] http://www.zmweapons.com/accessories.htm
Link Posted: 12/2/2010 2:44:00 PM EDT
[#40]
thanks shadowcop !
Link Posted: 12/2/2010 3:20:07 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I've got a ZM collapsible side folder on mine, it works great.

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y130/treetopR/P3020233.jpg

[edit:] http://www.zmweapons.com/accessories.htm

Very nice stock but it's $340. What I am after is a nice, inexpensive build that is still sturdy and functional.
CMMG has done very well keeping prices down so I'm trying to follow along those lines.

I spoke to the engineer at UTG again and stressed the importance of a solid lock up. Basically, I told him if that could not be accomplished, don't waste the time.
I hate wobble.
The owner was very enthused so I don't see this taking long. Just needs to be tweaked.
Dave

Link Posted: 12/2/2010 3:54:13 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 12/2/2010 6:07:29 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Hey Guys......the UTG adaptor is just too high to use on an AR15 with a standard charge handle. Too bad too, as it was an inexpensive piece of hardware. I do know that it is great thing to use on the Ruger SR22 or our stock kit for the 10/22.

However.....this being the AR15 pistol and rimfire caliber section, I won't dwell on that. Instead, funny thing I saw this thread tonight.....as today, we designed up an adpator that WILL work for a blow back operated AR15....meaning anything that does'nt go back into the buffer tube. Now don't go calling us and asking when it'll be availible....It was just designed today, needs to be detailed, programmed, proto-typed and then sent into production. I'll start a new post on that in the next couple days in our forum section to let you know the progress of it.

OK....going back to the 10/22 in the AR22 stock....this is what got me excited about designing this thing up for the AR15......it's REALLY cool to have folding stock as I found out.  

No promises....but would'nt a good AR15 folding stock for under a hundred bucks be great??

Tim

That would be awesome...........since you are here, something on the lines of an MP5 style collapsable would be the cat's MEOW
Link Posted: 12/2/2010 6:28:46 PM EDT
[#44]
Tim, that would be great. Someone needs to come out with something affordable.

UTG made some mods to the adapter and shipped it to me tonight. It should arrive Monday.
I will let you know what I find.
Dave
Link Posted: 12/2/2010 6:30:28 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Bad news and good news.
The folding mechanism is 1/4" too high as it is.
The good news is UTG is going to redisign one, quickly, to work with an AR.
I spoke with the engineer and convinced him there would be a market for it so long as it was sturdy, fit, and functioned.
They will be getting back to me and I will let you know.
Dave

well since my build is definately on the cheap and that I have several stock charging handles, I may just work the handle down to clear with my grinder. It should have no effect on the operation, shed some weight and since the Velocity upper has such a short charge, I shouldnt have much to take off.
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 3:18:15 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 5:18:50 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
We have about 10 of the UTG adaptors in house that we were going to make up for our NC22's and there was no good way to modify them to fit, but they work great on the SR22/AR22 stocks.

I really like the looks of that APG folder.......but it needs to fold to the left, not the right (IMHO). As you can't fire the weapon with the stock folded (or am I wrong?).

We have a lot going on in the shop at the moment with the NC22M, and some other soon to be released items, but hopefully we can get a prototype out soon.....for pics and what not.

See how it goes.

Tim

I am told that you can still shoot it with the stock folded, but I haven't tried yet. It is single digits above zero here in balmy Fargo, ND......but I can run a mag threw mine with the stock folded if you like. Although it may be working against your plans if it does work?????
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 5:51:14 AM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 6:03:52 AM EDT
[#49]
Would you ever consider making a sliding stoock similar to an HK A3 stock? I think there would be a lot of demand.......since there are a few folders out there, you would corner the market on a collapsable that when fully collapsed only added 2" or so behind te rer of receiver. There is that M203 style wire stock (or whatever the designation is) but that is still 4" or so of length when collapsed, plus it is a little too retro looking.....unless that is the look you are going for.

Just thinking out loud........

The think I don't like about folding stocks on ARs (or other guns for that matter) is when folded most of them make your gun 5" thick, and is harder to get in the case, etc.....

And yes, I will beta test it for you......

Sorry to go a bit off topic.
Link Posted: 12/3/2010 6:50:10 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
AGP sells a nice little folding stock specifically for that purpose.  

<a href="http://www.agparms.com/product.php?productid=16158&cat=260&page=1" target="_blank">http://www.agparms.com/image.php?type=D&id=56</a>

Had one......doesnt lock in the folded possition.  Didnt like that.  I would look at something from ACE instead.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 9
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top