Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2010 3:00:49 PM EDT
Have been out of the loop on this for a bit, but is Nordic or anyone else working on something in this line, other than the standard .22?
Thanks for the feedback in advance.
Link Posted: 11/1/2010 3:03:08 PM EDT
[#1]
Nordic has been working on a .22 mag upper.  Check their industry forum for updates.  Alexander Arms released a .17HMR upper.

Link Posted: 11/1/2010 3:39:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/1/2010 6:56:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Remington dealt the death blow to the .17 HMR is semi auto firearms.  Their statement that the .17 HMR was unsuitable for semi auto firearms and their subsequent recall of their 597 Semi Auto Rifle was the kiss of death to anyone who would want to bring out a new semi auto firearm in .17 HMR.  

If someone brought out a semi auto in .17 HMR and someone was to get hurt, even the worst lawyer in the USA would win a huge settlement from the manufacturer for "bringing out an unsafe firearm" .  Remington published this statement ––-

Safety Warning And Recall Notice
17 HMR AMMUNITION AND MODEL 597® 17 HMR SEMI-AUTOMATIC

DO NOT USE REMINGTON 17 HMR AMMUNITION IN SEMI-AUTOMATIC FIREARMS.
DO NOT USE THE REMINGTON MODEL 597 17 HMR SEMI-AUTOMATIC RIFLE.
Remington has been notified by its supplier of 17 HMR ammunition that 17 HMR ammunition is not suitable for use in semi-automatic firearms. The use of this ammunition in a semi-automatic firearm could result in property damage or serious personal injury.

That statement is all any lawyer would ever need to win a case !!!

Link Posted: 11/1/2010 9:03:10 PM EDT
[#4]
In all fairness to Remington, they had good reason to make the statement they did. If you research the subject (everywhere, not just here) you will gain a lot of insight into the world of "high powered" rim-fire and how they really are running on the edge. In a bolt action rifle this round can work very dependably and with precision. In a blowback rifle there are issues.
Link Posted: 11/2/2010 1:36:54 AM EDT
[#5]
Then this comes out from Alexander Arms.

17HMR AR-15 with 10 round mag. I wonder if it has problems?
Link Posted: 11/3/2010 6:09:45 PM EDT
[#6]
From the pics on the AA site it looks like the upper uses the regular AR15 buffer and spring with a lighter weight bolt.  If the AR15 buffer and spring are enough to control 9mm blowback I think it will be safe with the 17HMR.
Link Posted: 11/3/2010 7:32:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't trust Remington to get anything right.  Just because they can't do it doesn't mean someone else will fail.
Link Posted: 11/4/2010 5:14:04 PM EDT
[#8]
I read an article recently about AA's new .17hmr rifle.  They stated that the ar platform is overbuilt for the .17hmr and can handle the pressure of a blown case.  In the review they actually tried to make it happen and after 450 rounds without cleaning they blew a case and bent the ejector and destroyed the magazine.  I'm guessing at $5.50 a piece for the mags, AA made them the week point to expel any gases away from the shooters face.  Anyway I put in an order last week for an upper and will post a review when I get it.  I have put several thousand rounds through my remington 597 without one single problem but decided not to chance it any longer and have retired it to the gun safe for good.  I hope this new upper shoots as good as my remington did.
Link Posted: 11/5/2010 1:47:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I read an article recently about AA's new .17hmr rifle.  They stated that the ar platform is overbuilt for the .17hmr and can handle the pressure of a blown case.  In the review they actually tried to make it happen and after 450 rounds without cleaning they blew a case and bent the ejector and destroyed the magazine.  I'm guessing at $5.50 a piece for the mags, AA made them the week point to expel any gases away from the shooters face.  Anyway I put in an order last week for an upper and will post a review when I get it.  I have put several thousand rounds through my remington 597 without one single problem but decided not to chance it any longer and have retired it to the gun safe for good.  I hope this new upper shoots as good as my remington did.

It's kinda funny –– I posted the picture of the AA 17HMR rifle above and that same day I ordered a magazine for the $5.50. I went back to the AA site again to check for other things and found the price had just changed to $9.99. The price for the magazine is still not bad but I was surprised since I just e-mailed AA about the fact I was having a hard time ordering the mag –– the AA logo was covering the area where the zip code went. The next day the whole web site had changed. Should have kept my mouth shut!
Link Posted: 11/5/2010 6:03:56 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/6/2010 5:59:32 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Someone had just emailed me looking for our industry foum here on AR15.com.....I tried to reply, but the email bounce back.

So here is a direct link to our forum on our .22WMR upper: Nordic NC22WMR

Tim

I've been keeping an eye on your "Industry" site waiting for when your stuff will be released.  The 17HMR is a nice round but I actually prefer the 22 magnum and those new ballistic 30gr bullets are super for accuracy. The ballistic  tip ammo is more expensive but was designed for hunting and really does well for that purpose.  

I really like that handguard in the picture on second page of your Industry site thread about the Nordic 22 magnum AR. Will that be offered (finished) or is it just window dressing?

Link Posted: 11/6/2010 6:30:02 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 11/6/2010 9:28:24 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Someone had just emailed me looking for our industry foum here on AR15.com.....I tried to reply, but the email bounce back.

So here is a direct link to our forum on our .22WMR upper: Nordic NC22WMR

Tim

That was probably me –– sorry if there was a typo in the email address. I've been a long-standing 22 WMR fan since I was a kid shooting a Mossberg 640K Chuckster (most of you guys don't go back that far!). 1st semi-auto in this round has been the Excel Arms Accelerator & does shoot pretty well with no issues thus far with reliability.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top