Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/12/2010 5:47:25 PM EDT
ive already figured out what i would have to do and what hardware i would need. but is it legal? would i have to register it as a pistol? the Sig 522 has a folding stock so why cant i? could i legally put a pistol grip on the quadrail if it were registered as a pistol?

thanks
Link Posted: 3/12/2010 6:40:33 PM EDT
[#1]
You could put a folding stock on. I'm not totally sure of the legalities of doing that as you'd be cutting
the tube that originally holds the collapsible buttstock on. You definitely can't make it into a pistol
because as it leaves the factory it is a rifle forever. Putting a pistol grip on the quad rail of a pistol will get
you into a problem worse than a DUI. Beyond that, Good Luck.
Spec
Link Posted: 3/12/2010 6:48:05 PM EDT
[#2]
nothing illegal at all. Just dont cut the barrel down and you are good to go.
Link Posted: 3/12/2010 8:56:45 PM EDT
[#3]
so if i have a folding stock on my 15-22, i cant put a pistol grip on the front? how is it legal with a shotgun? having a folding stock with a pistol grip on the front?
Link Posted: 3/13/2010 1:54:03 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

so if i have a folding stock on my 15-22, i cant put a pistol grip on the front? how is it legal with a shotgun? having a folding stock with a pistol grip on the front?

You CAN have a folding stock AND a foregrip. No problem. Perfectly legal. Slow down when you read.
Link Posted: 3/13/2010 1:54:03 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

You CAN have a folding stock AND a foregrip. No problem. Perfectly legal. Slow down when you read.
Link Posted: 3/13/2010 4:38:44 AM EDT
[#6]
As long as you have any buttstock and it's 16" barrel length or more, you can have a pistol grip
on the forend. A pistol, meaning that there is no buttstock can not. A pistol can be made from a
virgin AR Receiver that has never been designated or built as a rifle.

Buttstock and less than 16" barrel = Short Barreled Rifle. Must be registered.

BATF states that a pistol with a fore end grip of any style = Any Other Weapon.
and musst be registered to be legal. They don't say 16" and under so I'm thinking
that it means a pistol of any length. I'm not even going to interpret their meaning
on that one. It would scary to try.

This is "My Understanding" of the laws.

Spec
Link Posted: 3/13/2010 4:59:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/13/2010 6:04:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Check with your state laws. Unlike Chuck in OH, Michigan's definition of OAL is determined in it's shortest configuration. Therefore folders and telescoping stocks must be closed before they measure.
Link Posted: 3/13/2010 8:00:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/13/2010 12:31:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Check with your state laws. Unlike Chuck in OH, Michigan's definition of OAL is determined in it's shortest configuration. Therefore folders and telescoping stocks must be closed before they measure.

Good point. I oviously would measure it before I did all this, but I don't have it. I'm still waiting to get it back from S&W for repairs. I just assumed it would be at least 26" folded. Well...you know what they say about assuming.
Link Posted: 3/13/2010 6:15:22 PM EDT
[#11]
The shop I picked up my 15-22 from mentioned he heard a rumor that S&W may produce a folding stock soon.  Personally, can't say I'm too interested in one.
Link Posted: 3/14/2010 5:06:12 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

You can, however, put a stock and 16" barrel on a pistol and be legal. And swap back and forth.

–– Chuck
ATF has ruled that only applies to the T/C.  So once you make a pistol into a rifle, if it's not a T/C, you can't swap back and forth.

Link Posted: 3/14/2010 5:07:29 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good point. I oviously would measure it before I did all this, but I don't have it. I'm still waiting to get it back from S&W for repairs. I just assumed it would be at least 26" folded. Well...you know what they say about assuming.

What state are you in?  Most states go with the federal requirement that the stock be fully extended for OAL.  There are only a few that don't.

Link Posted: 3/14/2010 5:38:30 AM EDT
[#14]
I'm in michigan. And it has to be measued with the stock folded. I guess ill have to wait till I get it back and do some measurements.
Link Posted: 3/14/2010 9:44:27 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 3/15/2010 5:22:02 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

ATF has ruled that only applies to the T/C. So once you make a pistol into a rifle, if it's not a T/C, you can't swap back and forth.
Sure ya can. But even IF its not legal who's to know.

–– Chuck

Obviously it's physically possible, I was talking about the legalities.  And yes, it's highly unlikely you'll get caught unless you decide to tell everyone you're doing it.

Link Posted: 3/19/2010 1:27:45 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:
You can, however, put a stock and 16" barrel on a pistol and be legal. And swap back and forth.
–– Chuck
ATF has ruled that only applies to the T/C.  So once you make a pistol into a rifle, if it's not a T/C, you can't swap back and forth.

I've heard this too.

I don't understand how Mech-Tech is still in business then.  They sell units to convert your Glock (and 1911's, I think) into a carbine, and I'm assuming most people don't plan on keeping their Glock as a carbine forever, but who knows.
Link Posted: 3/19/2010 4:21:11 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

–– Chuck
ATF has ruled that only applies to the T/C. So once you make a pistol into a rifle, if it's not a T/C, you can't swap back and forth.

I've heard this too.

I don't understand how Mech-Tech is still in business then. They sell units to convert your Glock (and 1911's, I think) into a carbine, and I'm assuming most people don't plan on keeping their Glock as a carbine forever, but who knows.
ATF hasn't knocked on their door yet.  I don't know if they'd have a shot at winning a court case either seeing as one of the main points in T/C's case was that their gun was obviously for sporting purposes only.  

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top