Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 1/6/2010 10:38:08 PM EDT
After seeing the pictures on the S&W website of the M&P15-22 with FH, I gotta upgrade mine to get that same look. Does anyone know what FH I should be looking for? I see lots listed on MidwayUSA for example, but no idea what would fit on a 15-22 barrel. Obviously it would have to go to a gunsmith. Are these always threaded on, or can it be permanently affixed? Thanks in advance for any help here....
Link Posted: 1/7/2010 2:58:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 1/7/2010 7:01:13 AM EDT
[#2]
After trying several different options including JB Weld that failed, I ended up just threading the barrel with standard 1/2x28 thread and putting on standard A2 hider.  It did take me quite a bit of time to true up barrel in my 4 jaw chuck.  My three jaw didn't have a large enough pass through.  Once trued it took about 30 minutes to cut and thread.
Link Posted: 1/7/2010 7:30:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I think they use an A1 FH. You can get ADCO to thread the BBL for around $30. I was going to go this route, but will just wait until the threaded models hit my local fun shop.
Link Posted: 1/10/2010 9:36:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Here is the one I installed purchased off of a guy on GunBroker. Slipped over the end of barrel & then set in place with 3 set screws locktited down.

Am I to expect this thing to go sailing down the range? Have I been misled by the seller that it will not remain on & then rake the end of the barrel once it flies off? No rounds have been run through it yet to test.

Link Posted: 1/10/2010 9:46:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Here is full pic of rifle for feedback and/or advice –– thanks!

Link Posted: 1/10/2010 6:41:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I think they use an A1 FH. You can get ADCO to thread the BBL for around $30. I was going to go this route, but will just wait until the threaded models hit my local fun shop.

I assure you the bill is much higher.  $65 for threading, $50 for disassembly/reassembly if you send your complete upper rather than just the barrel, and $8 for the flash hider.  You're better off just waiting for one of the threaded models.
Link Posted: 1/10/2010 8:26:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
After seeing the pictures on the S&W website of the M&P15-22 with FH, I gotta upgrade mine to get that same look. Does anyone know what FH I should be looking for? I see lots listed on MidwayUSA for example, but no idea what would fit on a 15-22 barrel. Obviously it would have to go to a gunsmith. Are these always threaded on, or can it be permanently affixed? Thanks in advance for any help here....

Somehow, I fail to understand why one would want a flash hider on a .22LR to begin with. I mean seriously, who the hell is going to take this rifle into battle and need to conceal his location?
Link Posted: 1/10/2010 9:39:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Somehow, I fail to understand why one would want a flash hider on a .22LR to begin with. I mean seriously, who the hell is going to take this rifle into battle and need to conceal his location?

It just looks cool, no way around it. A naked muzzle looks odd to me, unless it is on a very heavy bull barrel.
Link Posted: 1/11/2010 3:01:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I think they use an A1 FH. You can get ADCO to thread the BBL for around $65. I was going to go this route, but will just wait until the threaded models hit my local fun shop.

I assure you the bill is much higher.  $65 for threading, $50 for disassembly/reassembly if you send your complete upper rather than just the barrel, and $8 for the flash hider.  You're better off just waiting for one of the threaded models.

Lucky for me, I  did that. Got a new one with the factory flash suppressor for $449. Probably pick it up later this week.

I was willing to pay $449 for one w/o and then pay my local smith $100 to thread the bbl. I already have a Smith Vortex for it.

ETA- fixed dollar amounts. I was thinking about the cost of getting a flash suppressor pinned and welded.
Link Posted: 1/12/2010 3:49:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 1/12/2010 6:04:49 PM EDT
[#11]

Is that factory or something you did yourself?

Looks good either way.

Can't wait to pick mine up. I already have a Houge grip, VLTOR Club Foot stock and Black MBUS sights. I just need to get a reasonable Red Dot and some more .22LR
Link Posted: 1/13/2010 3:24:43 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/14/2010 6:20:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Here is the one I installed purchased off of a guy on GunBroker. Slipped over the end of barrel & then set in place with 3 set screws locktited down.

Am I to expect this thing to go sailing down the range? Have I been misled by the seller that it will not remain on & then rake the end of the barrel once it flies off? No rounds have been run through it yet to test.

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/9544/flashhider.jpg

I would have doubts every time I pulled the trigger on one that was installed with set screws, even with the locktite. But that is just me.
Link Posted: 1/15/2010 3:31:31 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 1/17/2010 12:02:23 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://img441.imageshack.us/img441/9544/flashhider.jpg

I would have doubts every time I pulled the trigger on one that was installed with set screws, even with the locktite. But that is just me.

Talked to seller & others who have purchased & installed, & all have remained in place. This flashhider slides over the barrel approximately 1" & then locked down with the set screws. Will obviously be very careful during initial testing.
Link Posted: 1/17/2010 7:43:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Picked my 15-22 w/ the factory flash hider installed yesterday. Pretty fun little gun. I installed Black MBUS (front and rear), VLTOR Clubfoot stock, CAA VFG (collapsible type), Hogue grip and a Smith Vortex. Need to get around to taking some pix though.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top