Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/13/2009 8:14:45 PM EDT
I have looked on the internet (including here) and other than modified .22 LR conversions I have not been able to find a conversion to modify an AR-15 to fire 22 WMR.  I don't know if this is even possible without a major reworking of the rifle.  What I am wanting is a kit that I can remove quickly and easily to convert back to .223.  I would like to have it for pinking and varmint hunting and then convert back when finished.  I want a little more pop than the .22LR, I'll just grab my Ruger 10/22 for that.

Well anyways, thanks.
Link Posted: 12/13/2009 9:41:38 PM EDT
[#1]
that would be an interesting mod, like the 17hmr the 22 mag probubly doesnt have the kind of following to make a manufacturer step up and produce a kit and mags and all that would go with making a magnum conversion work.  some version of a ciener bolt might work , bolt would have to weigh alot more and a heavier spring. then you have to find a clip that would work in a ar magwell with some adapter, and i think existing 22 mg clips are like only 5-7 rounds, so there again youd be starting from scratch for a high cap mag. and then top that off by shooting ammo that costs 3 times as much as 22lr and only half what 223 is.  anyway would be fun but i dont see it happening unless you fab one up yourself. personally it would partially defeat the purpose to have one in 22 mag as opposed to 22lr. here you have a performance gain imo thats not worth the cost compared to just going with a 223/5.56 version. you would be better off finding a good bolt gun in 22mag or 17hmr for hunting at longer ranges and its a shure bet the 223 would be a better choice there.
Link Posted: 12/13/2009 11:23:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I had some of those same thoughts.  I have a Bolt Action rifle that shoot the 22 WMR as well as a Ruger Single-Six New Model Convertible.  The only problem with the bolt action is that I shoot rifles left handed due to being left eye dominant.  I have been trying to find a semi auto in 22 WMR and that is when I thought about an AR with a conversion kit.  I guess I will just go back to looking for some other semi-auto for .22 WMR and just switch a AR between .22 LR and .223 or just use the .223 where I would have used the .22 WMR.  I might can make a different hand load that would tone it down a little.
Link Posted: 12/13/2009 11:47:44 PM EDT
[#3]
If you can stand shooting single shots, there are CHAMBER ADAPTERS that will accept a .22 WMR into a .223 chamber.
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 1:47:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
If you can stand shooting single shots, there are CHAMBER ADAPTERS that will accept a .22 WMR into a .223 chamber.

This idea might be the place to start if you want to shoot 22 magnum in an AR. Too bad they cost so much –– but then you only pay once. They won't work the AR system so you are back to working the action by hand. There was a conversion being tried but it seems the fast twist on the AR barrels seemed to cause a problem with the thin jackets on the 22 magnum bullets at times –– the 1:12 twist was great. The best bet was on of the 22lr dedicated setup that allowed the use of the full 22 conversion kit –– that includes the chamber adapter. That type of dedicated upper was made a long time ago and allowed the use of any type of complete 22 conversion in the upper. The adapter being tested was a modified M261 and it worked very good in the 1:12 AR. As mentioned before, there was just not that much call for a 22 magnum conversion so it was dropped.
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 1:55:43 AM EDT
[#5]
I would but the .22 mag upper in a heart beat over a .22lr upper!!!!
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 6:05:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I would but the .22 mag upper in a heart beat over a .22lr upper!!!!

A 22 magnum upper is the easy part –– the magazines are the hard part. I guess if some company built the uppers, they would make some mags for it. Right now there are 22 magnum hi-caps available for 10/22 magnum only –– and Ruger pulled the plug on that rifle.
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 4:59:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Lots of great .22 Mag bolt guns out there for $350 range. Ask Ruger about semi-auto 10/22 Mag. Some of the same problems with .17 HMR. This cartridge is pushing rim fire to its limits. It needs something that fires from a LOCKED bolt, like a bolt gun. Besides that, the ammo costs so much more than .22 LR.

But, to each their own.
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 5:18:45 PM EDT
[#8]
Just shoot 223 and have more power as the price is damn close to the same as 22 mag now.
Link Posted: 12/14/2009 8:08:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Just shoot 223 and have more power as the price is damn close to the same as 22 mag now.

I reload for my .223 and I do it in bulk. It is actually CHEAPER for me to shoot .223 than it is to do .17 HMR. I avoid the .22 Mag as its in the same price range.  I have a .17 rifle just because. But its a bolt gun and it keeps me from blowing last weeks pay check down the barrel when I take it out.

For bulk shooting .22 LR does the job and is friendly to my wallet.
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 1:44:19 AM EDT
[#10]
The nice thing about the 22mag is the bullet dia matches. If there was a conversion it could work far better than trying to shoot 22lr with it's smaller dia threw a barrel designed for the .223. With a 22mag anchultz bolt gun it can punch pretty tightly at ranges 200yards. Most others fair pretty well at 150yards or so. What makes the 22mag desirable is the energy it has left even at extended ranges over the 22lr if you are looking for plinking some small varmints up to fox size. Coyotes may need to be coaxed in a tad closer but not much. A well placed shot will do them in to. The 17hmr is fast and it shoots flatter, but at it's extended range it doesn't carry as much energy as the 22mag. In close they are close but the further they go out the gap increases. The 22 is heavier so you get better penetration. The 17s are mostly rapid expansion bullets. There is pretty good reason yet for the littler 22mag rimfire. Cost if shooting it is still less than buying any decent .223 ammo it could mean extending the range in which you practice and be less costly considering if you didn't have to create a whole new upper to shoot it well, plus as an added bonus have a better chance at varmints. A rimfire upper would be nice, but I'd rather it be 22mag myself making it more practical.
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 4:38:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The nice thing about the 22mag is the bullet dia matches. If there was a conversion it could work far better than trying to shoot 22lr with it's smaller dia threw a barrel designed for the .223. With a 22mag anchultz bolt gun it can punch pretty tightly at ranges 200yards. Most others fair pretty well at 150yards or so. What makes the 22mag desirable is the energy it has left even at extended ranges over the 22lr if you are looking for plinking some small varmints up to fox size. Coyotes may need to be coaxed in a tad closer but not much. A well placed shot will do them in to. The 17hmr is fast and it shoots flatter, but at it's extended range it doesn't carry as much energy as the 22mag. In close they are close but the further they go out the gap increases. The 22 is heavier so you get better penetration. The 17s are mostly rapid expansion bullets. There is pretty good reason yet for the littler 22mag rimfire. Cost if shooting it is still less than buying any decent .223 ammo it could mean extending the range in which you practice and be less costly considering if you didn't have to create a whole new upper to shoot it well, plus as an added bonus have a better chance at varmints. A rimfire upper would be nice, but I'd rather it be 22mag myself making it more practical.

It's good to find somebody that feels the same way about the 22 magnum. The 17 HMR is great for small varmints but the lack of energy at longer distances and that the 17 HMR may cause kaboom problems if the rifle is not keep clean, makes the 22 magnum better for me. I had worked on a conversion for both the .223 AR and for the older type of 22lr dedicated upper that required the chamber adapter on the 22lr conversion. I had problems with that type conversion due to gas leak and the faster twist of some AR's so I gave up. The best I found was a dedicated 22 magnum upper but I don't think anybody would want to plunk down the money for something like that.
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 4:50:32 AM EDT
[#12]
I wonder if it'd be possible to come up with a mag block that would accept the new Kel-Tec 30rnd .22 WMR magazine.
Link Posted: 12/19/2009 5:38:32 AM EDT
[#13]
I can't remember if Kurt (of KKF) ever did anything in this area, but it might be worthwhile looking into seeing who people are taking their custom AR jobs to, now that he has passed away.

(RIP)

Link Posted: 12/19/2009 5:41:34 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I wonder if it'd be possible to come up with a mag block that would accept the new Kel-Tec 30rnd .22 WMR magazine.

I have some of the magazines from the original 22 magnum pistol and it would work but require a bit of work. The mags are double stack/double feed so a guide ramp for the ammo would have to be included –– unless it was an Oly type setup! Oly has done pistol mags before maybe they can pick this one up –– that would be cool!

Edit to add; The Kel-Tec pistol is actually the Grendel P-30. I have some mags and just checked one in the AR magwell and it won't fit without minor alterations. There is a Horizontal rib near the top of the mag that is wider than the magwell. It could be modified by trimming a bit. Maybe the new Kel-Tec version doesn't have this rib.

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top