Link Posted: 3/2/2008 5:45:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Sig40Fan] [#1]
Ok here is my question in 2 parts

Currently using

Anvil Arms lower
Stag trigger kit with KNS gen2 pin set
hy-viz block
magpul stock

NOW the question is can I use any upper or do i need a specific one since with the Hy-tech I can use unmodified uzi mags ? Finding a 9mm upper that is worth a dam is tough .. I like the RRA A2/A4 set up since it uses wilson barrel . suggestions ?
Link Posted: 3/2/2008 6:29:14 PM EDT
[#2]

Originally Posted By Sig40Fan:
Ok here is my question in 2 parts

Currently using

hy-viz block

NOW the question is can I use any upper or do i need a specific one since with the Hy Viz I can use unmodified uzi mags ? Finding a 9mm upper that is worth a dam is tough .. I like the RRA A2/A4 set up since it uses wilson barrel . suggestions ?

I think you mean, you have a VM Hy-Tech UZI mag adapter.

VM Hy-Tech is designed to work with stock UZI mags. It will even work with UZI mags modified with Colt catch (just need to depress the mag release button to get past the first mag catch).

VM Hy-Tech will work with any 9mm AR15 conversion uppers based on the Colt/RRA pattern.

Link Posted: 3/3/2008 3:32:51 AM EDT
[#3]
yeah that it ,. my fault . it's in the garage with the other parts till I get it all together .. THanks for the info it helps me out greatly
Link Posted: 3/12/2008 9:45:17 AM EDT
[#4]

Originally Posted By JPL:
I have found a place that has a flattop Oly Arms 9mm upper. The guy says that the complete guns they have use the Glock mags and he doesn't know if this Oly Arms upper uses Sten mags or Glock mags. My question is, does Oly Arms make an upper for glock mags and an upper for Sten mags or are all the Oly Arms 9mm uppers the same?

All Oly uppers are the same. A flat top!? Get it man.
Link Posted: 3/16/2008 12:35:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I tried going through the sten mag in a colt thread but a lot of the formatting has gone to hell making it hard to sift through, plus I don't think anyone has posted in it in over a year

is there an easy, no (or very basic) modifying needed, set up for using Sten mags in a colt style 9mm upper currently available?

NY still has a ban, so new mags are out, and I have a bunch of sten mags I bought years ago in preparation for getting an oly style upper. but from what I can tell colt style uppers are easier and cheaper to find and offer more options, but since I already have sten mags and NY still has a ban I need to be able to use my sten mags

or, if the block for using stens in a colt is no longer an option, where are some good places to get Oly style uppers?
what I really want is a flat top, railed gas block (so I don't have to have a front sight post) and "naked" muzzle (I'm in NY, flash suppressors are out, and I don't a brake for something with such mild recoil, 16in barrel
Link Posted: 3/16/2008 12:39:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Your contact for Sten mags in the COLT® rifle is SNS Industries.. or HAHN I think.
Link Posted: 3/16/2008 3:34:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sharky30] [#7]

Originally Posted By SBR7_11:
Your contact for Sten mags in the COLT® rifle is SNS Industries.. or HAHN I think.

thanks for the company name, I was able to google to find their site
www.snsindustriesinc.com/products.htm
Link Posted: 3/16/2008 9:19:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Cheapest place to get a 9mm buffer?
Link Posted: 3/18/2008 10:18:27 PM EDT
[#9]

Originally Posted By sharky30:

Originally Posted By SBR7_11:

thanks for the company name, I was able to google to find their site
www.snsindustriesinc.com/products.htm

Well, at least someone made the block!  Here's some history if you are interested:

Origin of the Sten Block.....  That's a copy of the 'how to' text that was prepared long, long ago....

I bought a few from them some time ago, some of the original production.  Might have to get a second run one of these days....

Link Posted: 5/13/2008 2:23:37 PM EDT
[#10]
The HAHN mag well adapter is NO GOOD for UZI mags with an RRA upper!  Use the RRA mag well adapter instead.

I have THREE 9mm AR rifles made with DPMS, RRA and, STAG lowers. All three have RRA mag well adapters. ALL THREE RIFLES OPERATE PERFECTLY with all brands of 9mm ammo.

The RRA 9mm recoil spring buffer is all you need for a full length adjustable stock.

25 round UZI mags are still pretty cheap and easy to find. You just have to machine the mag well catch slot in them to work in a 9mm AR system. Its pretty easy to do.

MUSIBIKE
Link Posted: 5/24/2008 10:16:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dustingaunder] [#11]
Ok, I just started a 9mm SBR build and have some questions.

Parts I have:

Spike's Lower with DPMS kit installed and 9mm hammer from RRA
RRA 9mm upper (stripped)
CAA Collapsible stock and tube with RRA 9mm buffer

My questions begin now.

1.  Which mag block should I get.  I hear mixed reviews about the RRA block and I am leaning toward the VM-Hytech block.  Which one of these is better and why?

I got the Hahn bottom inserting mag on the advice from another board.

2.  I am going to order the bolt/carrier assembly from RRA soon and was wondering if it came with the firing pin, extractor, etc. or if I needed to order those pieces separately.

Also answered on another board, and anyone else that is wondering it comes with everything.

3.  I am going to install a TROS 5" 3 lug barrel.  Where can I find one of these?  I found them on one website and they are back ordered with no luck even finding them on any others.  Also, TROS doesn't list them on their website.  Am I out of luck here?  What is the best alternative to the TROS if I am?

Emailed TROS and they had one in stock.  I recieved it today w00t!

4.  With the 5" barrel I am using a 7" quad rail.  Since the hand guard will extend past the barrel sans suppressor will this cause any problems or pose any risks to shoot without the suppressor in place?

Found opinions on other boards and I am going to do this.

5.  Thinking about going with the YHM quadrail because it is nice looking an it is on the cheaper side, and $250+ is a bit high for me to swallow for the DD rail system.  Will the YHM work with a suppressor (does it have enough room for the suppressor to fit)?

Confirmed on another board.

I got my answers and I thought that some people may eventually have the same questions.  See answers in red above.
Link Posted: 6/13/2008 9:48:26 PM EDT
[#12]
What's the word on the model 1 sales 9mm kits.  This is what I'm considering getting in a couple of weeks.  Any experience?
Link Posted: 6/28/2008 2:00:57 AM EDT
[Last Edit: micah360] [#13]
After reading through this thread, I just have to say thanks for all the great info.  I finally got all my parts for my 9mm build/conversion yesterday.  

RRA A2 upper with bolt
RRA 9mm hammer
RRA 9mm buffer
RRA mag block
modified Uzi mags and a lone promag
LMT lower

I got it all together and took it out today and it ran 100% with 3 different kinds of ammo (and grains).  I might even buy a couple more promags... they worked great.

If a firearm jams on me, I try to give it a few more chances....  This one's a keeper from the start.
Link Posted: 7/24/2008 3:36:02 PM EDT
[#14]
What is a ramped bolts? sorry, new to this stuff and do I need 1, thanks for all inputs
Link Posted: 7/30/2008 5:27:30 PM EDT
[#15]
I have the opportunity to purchase a 9mm AR. What should I buy a Rock River or an Oly Arms? What are the advantages of owning one over the other? What parts will interchange?
Link Posted: 8/16/2008 7:35:54 PM EDT
[#16]
tagged for a future project
Link Posted: 8/17/2008 7:11:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MOS2111] [#17]
What different mags work with the hahn block?
ETA : Only colt style 9mm mags - new at 44mag. com for 20$
Link Posted: 8/24/2008 1:02:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: _DR] [#18]
So can I use the Model1sales 7.5" 9mm pistol upper with my 5.56 registered SBR lower half if I buy a SOCOM block or thier block and use unmodified STEN mags?
Link Posted: 9/4/2008 1:42:58 AM EDT
[#19]
I want to do one of these conversions, but I'm hung up on the mag block/ mag combo enigma.

I cannot find a reference on RRAs site refering to their mag block that stays in the well...only the blocked STEN mags.  IS this even made anymore?

I really like the thought of one that uses the COLT 9mm mags (promag)... Is this attainable new or only second handed?

Thanks for your input...

dfa
Link Posted: 9/7/2008 1:10:12 AM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/7/2008 11:44:04 PM EDT
[#21]

Originally Posted By buzter:
What's the word on the model 1 sales 9mm kits.  This is what I'm considering getting in a couple of weeks.  Any experience?

I don't like the fact that Model 1 sales sells barrels with a crappy 1/15 twist. That makes it tough to stabilize heavy and sub sonic ammo.
Link Posted: 9/17/2008 7:26:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Ok, can anyone tell me the size of the pins in a Colt 6450 (green label, preban).  I don't have a caliper around the house to measure it myself and I want a set of the KNS pins.

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/20/2008 12:08:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: engineer2001] [#23]

Originally Posted By badazzar15:

Originally Posted By Rich219:
Cheapest place to get a 9mm buffer?

Not the Cheapest but We have the highest quality buffer for the best price.

I don't see it on your site, and I can't even find it with a search of "9mm".  Where is it listed?

I'm leaning toward an RRA 9mm upper from Adco, by the way.  What mag block would I need to use the CProducts mags?  I was originally thinking Uzi mags, but I like the notion of having Larry replace the mags if they fail somehow.    He says they hold the bolt back on the last round - is this true with the RRA upper?  On second thought, I guess I need to contact him to see...  get it straight from the man who makes them.  Larry's got his own mag block now.  Supposed to hit the street on Sept. 22nd (of this year), and it costs $99 and works with his CProducts 9mm mags.
Link Posted: 9/20/2008 4:15:28 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 9/20/2008 1:06:59 PM EDT
[#25]

Check the EE, its the ST-9X.

Thank you!  
Link Posted: 9/22/2008 11:58:22 PM EDT
[#26]
I have read in another forum that using the DPMS .223 hammer with a non-ramped 9mm bolt carrier will damage the trigger pin and egg out the holes in my lower.  Is this right?  Are these the only two options to work right:
A) A ramped bolt carrier to allow a DPMS hammer
OR
B) A 9mm hammer?
Link Posted: 9/23/2008 12:17:00 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 10/24/2008 1:20:21 AM EDT
[#28]
How are the c-products mag blocks? Mag block with 5 mags for 180$ isn't a bad price. This will just be a fun gun so I should be set with 5 mags. Would save me a few bucks in the long run if it works well.
Link Posted: 10/24/2008 8:23:17 AM EDT
[#29]

Originally Posted By engineer2001:
I have read in another forum that using the DPMS .223 hammer with a non-ramped 9mm bolt carrier will damage the trigger pin and egg out the holes in my lower.  Is this right?  Are these the only two options to work right:
A) A ramped bolt carrier to allow a DPMS hammer
OR
B) A 9mm hammer?

You can run the DPMS hammer with or without a ramped bolt. Ramping the bolt is cheap Insurance for the lower and much smoother function.

There is no downside to running the DPMS hammer with either setup.

I would also recommend KNS Gen II anti-rotation pins, more cheap Insurance.

You can also run a Timney Match grade drop in, but you will have to make adjustments to the disconnector and trigger reset set screws.
Link Posted: 10/24/2008 4:19:08 PM EDT
[#30]
What about the CMMG 2 stage triggers?
Link Posted: 10/24/2008 9:14:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 10/26/2008 7:38:19 AM EDT
[#32]

Originally Posted By SickMAK90:

How are the c-products mag blocks? Mag block with 5 mags for 180$ isn't a bad price. This will just be a fun gun so I should be set with 5 mags. Would save me a few bucks in the long run if it works well.

Anyone have an answer to this?  I am looking at getting either the C-Products mag block or one from Hahn Precision  Any suggestion as to which one to get?  

Thanks

Link Posted: 10/26/2008 1:37:52 PM EDT
[#33]

Originally Posted By z0six:

Anyone have an answer to this? I am looking at getting either the C-Products mag block or one from Hahn Precision Any suggestion as to which one to get?

Thanks

I don't think anyone has posted yet how the CProducts blocks work.  Mine was shipped to me last week from 44mag.com (cheapest place that has it), and I stupidly chose UPS instead of USPS Priority on checkout, so UPS has it with a delivery day of Thursday (a week after it was shipped).  So, I don't even have mine yet to say anything about it.

I know if there are any issues, that Larry at C Products will make them right.  He always has for folks in the past.  I've never needed to send anything back myself.
Link Posted: 11/6/2008 2:28:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Twinsen] [#34]
Is there a magblock that the CProducts mags activate the LRBHO in?  Does the CProducts magblock do it?  A better question might be: which magblock can I use that will activate the bold hold open, using which mags (other than the Colt brand mags which seem to be myth)?

Thanks for any info.  This FAQ has a ton of information, some of it contradicting.
Link Posted: 11/6/2008 2:48:01 PM EDT
[Last Edit: engineer2001] [#35]
I know for sure that the CProducts block activates the BHO with CProducts mags and a standard bolt catch (no 9mm bolt catch needed).  That's all I can test with mine until my upper half gets here (been waiting 6 weeks now for RRA upper).

Others may work too - Hahn, RRA, Colt, etc - depends on if they have the little bolt catch actuator built in the block like this CProd one does.
Link Posted: 11/6/2008 3:13:18 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By engineer2001:
I know for sure that the CProducts block activates the BHO with CProducts mags and a standard bolt catch (no 9mm bolt catch needed).  That's all I can test with mine until my upper half gets here (been waiting 6 weeks now for RRA upper).

Others may work too - Hahn, RRA, Colt, etc - depends on if they have the little bolt catch actuator built in the block like this CProd one does.

Thank you for the awesomely fast reply.  Now I need to find out if the 5 mag deal with the purchase of a magblock straight from CProducts are 32 round mags or 10 round mags or whatever.

So this forum taught me pretty much everything I need to know about this thing to get it running inside of a day.  Awesome.
Link Posted: 11/6/2008 3:29:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Twinsen:
Thank you for the awesomely fast reply.  Now I need to find out if the 5 mag deal with the purchase of a magblock straight from CProducts are 32 round mags or 10 round mags or whatever.

So this forum taught me pretty much everything I need to know about this thing to get it running inside of a day.  Awesome.

The mag deal was originally specified as 32-rd mags, but I bet they could substitute other capacities if you called them.

By the way, the block itself is plastic/polymer with metal ejector and moving parts.  I was surprised when mine came and was plastic - looks metal in the pics to me.
Link Posted: 11/6/2008 6:39:30 PM EDT
[#38]

If I were starting over, this might be the way I'd go.

As it is, I have a VMHytech block and a $&@#load of Uzi mags.

Good source for inexpensive 32 rd Uzi mags:  

used 32 rd mags linky thingy

new 32 rd mags linky thingy

I've bought from this seller with good results.

FWIW; AFAIK; IMHO; YMMV; yadda, yadda, yadda.

Regards, Ed Mann    mailto:[email protected]

Bobby Bowden is doing a fine job - just leave him alone.

Link Posted: 11/6/2008 7:05:21 PM EDT
[#39]
Links don't work. You have to register to see post.
Link Posted: 11/6/2008 9:48:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: engineer2001] [#40]
Originally Posted By SandHillsHillbilly:

I just registered to see the posts.  IMI German contract mags (32-rd) for $9.85 each plus $8 flat rate shipping.  If you need 32-rd Uzi mags, it would be worth it to register.

http://www.uzitalk.com/forums/showthread.php?p=331314#post331314

I don't even own an Uzi or a block that accepts these mags, and I'm considering buying 10 of them at that price.

ETA: He raised the price by a dollar per mag.  Now $10.85 each.  Apparently, Obama impacts Uzi mag sales too.
Link Posted: 11/7/2008 12:27:29 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By SandHillsHillbilly:

IIRC, no charge to register.

Also a good place to check if you need grease gun mags.

FWIW; AFAIK; IMHO; YMMV; yadda, yadda, yadda.

Regards, Ed Mann    mailto:[email protected]

Bobby Bowden is doing a fine job - just leave him alone.

Link Posted: 11/15/2008 9:09:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Signed up for the forum, but can't get in.  Who is selling these mags?
Link Posted: 12/13/2008 7:09:55 PM EDT
[#43]
Anybody use a Timney?
Link Posted: 12/18/2008 1:03:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Atomrally] [#44]
Yes, I'm running a 3lb Timney in a Bushmaster lower & RockRiver 9mm everything upper and it's fantastic.
The best bit is the reset, nice and short for lightening fast double taps.
Not cheap but I can't recommend it enough.

Also further up this page "Sysops" is running one too
Link Posted: 12/19/2008 8:08:01 PM EDT
[#45]
What reliability are people getting with their Uzi mags?  I need to get my Uzi mags modified to run with the block that I am using.  I notice Colt mags have a rib that runs down the back of the mag body, the Uzi mags I have don't have this rib.
Link Posted: 12/25/2008 12:51:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Girlieman] [#46]
I'm in the process of gathering the stuff to put together a 9mm AR...
'Got everything 'cept the LPK and the complete upper.

Receicved this conversion kit from Brownells...

The mag well adapter fits, but I need to lube it in order to get it fully seated...
Should ite be really tight?
It's going into an Armalite lower...
Link Posted: 1/3/2009 5:44:32 PM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By _DR:
So can I use the Model1sales 7.5" 9mm pistol upper with my 5.56 registered SBR lower half if I buy a SOCOM block or thier block and use unmodified STEN mags?

yes.

check that you have the correct hammer though.
Link Posted: 1/7/2009 2:21:38 PM EDT
[#48]
are the promag 9mm mags any good
Link Posted: 1/7/2009 8:54:30 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 2/19/2009 9:35:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Twinsen] [#50]
Nevermind.
Page / 7
9mm AR FAQ (Page 4 of 7)
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top