User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
9mm AR FAQ (Page 3 of 7)
Page / 7
Link Posted: 2/12/2007 10:21:46 AM EDT
[#1]

Originally Posted By rmatt:
I just purchased a RRA 9mm. It uses modified uzi mags with no bolt hold open feature.I'm told that ProMag polymer mags will work in this application and also have the bolt hold open. Anyone know for sure.
Thanks

Yes, Promags will work in an RRA system (and usually quite well, too)...
You can use mod. uzi mags (no BHO), or Promags, Colt mags, or the new C-Products mags when they come out. (all have BHO).

Link Posted: 3/4/2007 12:08:44 PM EDT
[#2]

Originally Posted By goodwi77:

Originally Posted By rmatt:
I just purchased a RRA 9mm. It uses modified uzi mags with no bolt hold open feature.I'm told that ProMag polymer mags will work in this application and also have the bolt hold open. Anyone know for sure.
Thanks

Yes, Promags will work in an RRA system (and usually quite well, too)...
You can use mod. uzi mags (no BHO), or Promags, Colt mags, or the new C-Products mags when they come out. (all have BHO).

I have a RRA 9mm and the 3 brand new promags I used yesterday in a match were crap.  I don't think I shot a single stage without a malfunction.  Fail to  Feed, double feeds, follower/spring gets stuck, all happened in all 3 mags.  All of the folks on my squad who have used ProMags have had a similar experience.  

Maybe they're good for range use only, but I would not recommend them as your primary magazines.  When (if) the Cproducts mags ship, the promags will live at the bottom of my range bag.  Fortunately I only paid $14 each for them at Aim Surplus.
Link Posted: 3/13/2007 2:28:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I looked through the FAQ and didn't quite find what I needed.

I currently have an AR lower that uses the 9mm buffer, and a RRA 2-stage trigger. I'd like to use this lower for both .223 Rem and 9mm Luger.

Do I just need:

9mm Upper
magwell block

If so, which magwell blocks are available and are they compatible with any 9mm upper (bolt carrier group, barrel, upper, etc...)? Say if I bought the RRA 9mm upper, can I use any magwell block?

I'd like a magwell block that drops in (no set-screws, drills, friction fit, etc...) and is heavy-duty. I'd prefer to use the cheapest available mags possible. Any ideas?
Oly's Glock 9mm ARs supposedly aren't sold as parts and can only be sold as a complete rifle.
Link Posted: 3/13/2007 2:56:24 PM EDT
[#4]
I new to this forum and there is so much to catch up on I really have'nt.  I read what squibload said about the wrong question so I'll phrase mine differently.  I have on order, with only the complete lower at my FFL.  It's a 9mm threaded short barrrel (it's considered a pistol I'm told) from RRA.  The upper is from Gemtech and is the The Trinity System.

http://i3.tinypic.com/4ddimib.jpg

That is a suppressor with the handgards designed for 9mm.  Any comments are welcome,including negative.  Thanks, onetros.
Link Posted: 3/30/2007 2:27:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 4/23/2007 5:06:18 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a few questions about the oly bolt assembly. what is the purpose of the firing pin spring? How far should the firing pin be in before the retaining pin goes in? Also, when the spring and firing pin are in place and the retaining pin is in, should the firing pin still be able to come out? last question.. can i use the same type of retaining pin on the 9mm and the .223?
Link Posted: 4/28/2007 3:06:04 PM EDT
[#7]
Can any one suggest a supllier of a 9mm " rotary" bolt (as in a 223 AR )  , NOT a stadard blowback type.

Thanks a lot
Link Posted: 5/11/2007 5:47:47 AM EDT
[#8]
I am looking for  a socom mag block for my 9mm AR build that I am working on anyone know where I can get one?
Link Posted: 5/25/2007 2:38:20 PM EDT
[#9]

Originally Posted By ndgunguy:
I am looking for  a socom mag block for my 9mm AR build that I am working on anyone know where I can get one?

When I go to their website, I get:

Directory Listing Denied
This Virtual Directory does not allow contents to be listed.

See:  Last known SOCOM Mfg website
Link Posted: 6/1/2007 10:28:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: edlmann] [#10]
HAMMER CONFUSION:

Originally Posted By Dawg180:
A ramped bolt will work with all AR-15 and M16 hammers (modify M16 hammer to be NFA compliant!).

Originally Posted By SBR7_11:
The Bolt with the blue stripe shows the "ramp" that is cut to mimmick the std AR-M16 carriers ramp.... With this, you can use your plain old AR notched face hammer, or any other AR trigger system,  and forget about the special 9mm hammer.

Originally Posted (again) By Dawg180:
A ramped bolt will work with all AR-15 and M16 hammers (modify M16 hammer to be NFA compliant!).

Originally Posted By DrugRunR:
Incorrect statement.
A Ramped bolt will only work with a M16 hammer, Early AR-15(LOOKS LIKE M-16) OR F/A 9mm hammers.

Originally Posted By Locksmith76:
I have a Jewell trigger in my lower and my Colt style upper runs perfect.

I can't figure out what the actual scoop is on this.

If the bolt is ramped, will any AR-15 hammer work?

Link Posted: 6/17/2007 11:28:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dawg180] [#11]
Fellas, I want to apologize, back when I wrote up most that stuff there was little to any info avaialble on 9mm uppers, and there were all of 2-3 mag black options total between Oly and Colt style uppers.  Since that time there have been almost a  dozen different mag blocks, and some of those listed are not even available anymore- lots of changes.

In fact, I sold my 9mm upper and VMHytech block almost a year ago (and kicking myself now, of course, with current ammo prices!).

To answer the hammer questions posted just above, if you ramp your bolt a DPMS AR-15 "no notch" .223 hammer will work, an AR-15  "notched" face .223 hammer *should* work (but I have no way to verify) and a 9mm hammer most likely will not work reliably, at least based on reports from long ago.  An M-16 hammer will work just fine *but* you then have an M-16 part in your gun, which some view as bad juju, and you shoudl grind off the littel 'tail' on the hammer jsut to be sure you are non-NFA compliant.

I had a DPMS "no notch" hammer and a ramped bolt and it worked just fine.

Here is the supposed issue as to why the 9mm hammer will not work properly.  The 9mm hammer was developed by Rock River to deal with the issue of violent hammer reset- only a 1/4" of 9mm bolt movement resets the hammer with an unmodified 9mm bolt and an AR-15/M-16 hammer.  In fact, the unmodified 9mm bolt was known in several memebers guns to completley bind up if used with a 'notched' AR-15 hammer.  

So Rock River came out with a hammer that reset a little less violently due to the profile of the face, and that would definitely not hang up. In a nutsheel, that 9mm hammer was deisgned to work with the profiel of the underside of the 9mm bolt.

Well, then someo got the bright idea that you could "ramp" the underside of the 9mm bolt so that you could use and AR-15 or M-16 ahmmer that was in your gun, and that the hammer reset was over the course of 1", which is much easier on the hammer pin and lower parts in general.  Groovy.  

Except once you ramp the underside of the 9mm bolt, you have now changed the geometry of the bolt to hammer interface....and that shallow ramping means a 9mm hammer now has *just barely* enough contact throught the bolt recoil stroke to reset.  What many members foudn is that if their 9mm upper and their lower had some looseness or play between them, there was just enoguh slop to allow the 9mm bolt to not press down the 9mm hammer quite enough, and the hammer would not reset, it woudl instead follow the 9mm bolt i.e. 'hammer follow' where it does not recokc so it won't fire when the trigger is pulled.

Some guys, esepcially those who had a 9mm upper that was very snug to a lower did not have an issue.

But in the end, the whole poitn of bolt ramping is so that you *don't have to wswitch to a dedicated 9mm hammer* and that to boot the 9mm upper will not be so hard on your AR-15 or M-16 hammer and pins.

So does that clear things up?

Link Posted: 6/25/2007 2:26:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Dawg180, thanks for all the information you have posted.  It is a big help to those of us looking to get into the 9mm game.
Link Posted: 6/28/2007 3:49:19 PM EDT
[#13]
Do RRA/Colt/Oly 9mm upper parts use standard AR upper receiver?  That is, can I move those parts to another upper receive, say, DPMS' Flattop LoPro upper receiver.

And without the oversized brass deflector, where would all the brass fly?
Link Posted: 6/28/2007 7:13:24 PM EDT
[#14]

Originally Posted By nrode:
Dawg180, thanks for all the information you have posted.  It is a big help to those of us looking to get into the 9mm game.

No problem.  I realize my FAQ is pretty fragmented and somehwat out of date at this time, but you gotta remeber that before I posted it there was NOTHING at all really available for info so I had to gather it all peicemeal...hence the 'may or may not work' answers in some parts.

Link Posted: 6/28/2007 7:19:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dawg180] [#15]

Originally Posted By Javak:
Do RRA/Colt/Oly 9mm upper parts use standard AR upper receiver?  That is, can I move those parts to another upper receive, say, DPMS' Flattop LoPro upper receiver.

And without the oversized brass deflector, where would all the brass fly?

The upper receivers are essentially the same.  The main difference is they typically do not have a gas tube hole in the front of the receiver, but it will function fine with the hole there, except a litle gas and podwer may vent forward.  if that really bothers you I know guys have tapped and threaded a flush fit allen head screw or even just JB Weld plugged it.

In addition Olympic arms uppers have a  hole drilled for an axle pin that has the ejector spring mounted onto it- the whole mechanism 'bridges' across the lower portion and the bootl carrier passes over it IIRC.  You can drill the hole fairly easily on your own and install the axle/spring- there is a diagram around here somewhere with the measurement for locating the hole.  If you remove it the upper will function just fine in any other caliber, except for the holes in either side.

The brass would most likely fly back at somewhere in the 3:00 to 5:00 position IIRC.  Should not be an issue unless you are shooting lefty.

[ETA]  I'll try to check this thread on a semi-regular basis to answer questions.  Although I don't have an upper anymore, I was aroudn during the period when SBR711, Quarterbore, and Forest were all posting 'new' info on the various systems to figure out what worked and what didn't, and at least some of that is still stuck in my brain.

Link Posted: 6/28/2007 8:34:10 PM EDT
[#16]
This is an oldie, but since no one has specifically answered it yet, I'll take a shot.

That said, bear in mind what I'm about to say is based on research for a 9mm build, but not on having actually done it.

Originally Posted By metroplex:
I looked through the FAQ and didn't quite find what I needed.
I currently have an AR lower that uses the 9mm buffer, and a RRA 2-stage trigger. I'd like to use this lower for both .223 Rem and 9mm Luger.
Do I just need:
9mm Upper
magwell block
If so, which magwell blocks are available and are they compatible with any 9mm upper (bolt carrier group, barrel, upper, etc...)? Say if I bought the RRA 9mm upper, can I use any magwell block?

Any mag block for the Colt system - not Oly.

I'd like a magwell block that drops in (no set-screws, drills, friction fit, etc...) and is heavy-duty. I'd prefer to use the cheapest available mags possible. Any ideas?

I'm looking at the VM Hy-Tech block, listed (but out of stock) at Brownells.  It allows use of unmodified UZI mags, which are available for $10 each in quantity from DS Arms.  
Link Posted: 7/2/2007 2:00:27 PM EDT
[#17]

Originally Posted By Dawg180:
Not-so-Quick and Dirty FAQ to 9mm uppers ONGOING REV2.0 07/02/07

By Dawg180, last updated 03/07/05, with more mag block info

I am continuosly adding info based on various member questions.  I personally have a Rock River Arms 9mm upper, and can answer questions on those with authority.  I also know plenty about the Olympic Arms system, although I do not have one in my hands.

If you find any incorrect information please let me know and I will update the FAQ.

Q:  "What is the cheapest, easiest way I can get into a 9mm system with my current 5.56mm AR?"

A: There are two "cheap and easy" ways to get into a 9mm AR setup, both which will cost around $600 or so:

Olympic Arms 9mm upper. It comes with a modified Sten magazine that has a block welded to the back and works with the standard magazine catch, allowing you to simply slap on the upper, stick the mag in the magwell and rock and roll. However, this style of magazine is expensive ($60) and won't fit in a standard 9mm mag pouch. Most people get a SOCOM Manufacturing magazine bolc, which is held in by the standard magazine catch and works kind of like an AK or HK paddel catch. It allows you to use standard, unmodified Sten mags. Here is the price breakdown:

Olympic Arms 9mm upper: $550 (from Atlantic Firearms)
SOCOM Mfg mag block: $70 shipped (from SOCOM Manufacturing) Out of business as of 07/02/07
Sten mags (32 round cap) $3.99 each from TAPCO
Total cost with 5 mags: $640
*note: Upper comes with one modified Sten mag- you can probably sell it and get $50 for it on the EE if you have no need for it

Colt/Rock River arms 9mm upper
The other directioni to go is the "Colt Style" system. I say this in parenthesis as most people actually buy a Rock River Arms upper, as they are half the price of colt and are exaclty the same. I personally have one of these and they work great. The cheapest way to go with these is Rock River Arms 9mm upper, a VM Hyetch magazine block, and Uzi mags. The VM Hytech block is cool as it is inserted up into the magwell and held by the standard mag catch, and ha its own mag catch that works with the standard Uzi magazine. Here is the price breakdown:

RRA 9mm upper (A4): $377 (From ADCO Firearms or Hallmark Enterprises)
VM Hytech mag block: $130 (From Ameetec Arms or Brownells with C&R discount)
Uzi mags (25 round) $13 (From Century Arms and many other places)
Total cost with 5 mags: $572
*Note- make sure to get "IMI" magazines as they are most reliable.

Other thoughts:
Although the Rock River Arms setup appears to be slightly cheaper, you can easily recoup some money by selling the modified Sten mag that comes with the Olympic Arms upper. If you are using the SOCOM block there is really no need for it.

Also, about 25-30% of the time the Rock River Arms setup requires a little "Tweaking" to get it running properly. the most common problem is that it will not strip the last 1-4 rounds out of the Uzi mag, the reason being that the Uzi follower has too steep and angle for the bolt to strip the rounds. This is easy to fix with about two minutes a mag and a pair of pliers (just did it myself) and the mags will still work in an Uzi, but some people don't like having to "tweak" their weapon to get it to run. Also, you might have to get another hammer- the DMPS style AR15 hammer (looks basically like an M16 hammer with the back "rat tail" choped off) works for both .223 and 9mm. Many AR-15's are equipped with a hammer that has a small face out of the top front, and that can hang up on the bolt carrier and cause a bad jam. Figure $15 for a new hammer from Brownells. One final thing that many people do is have the bolt "ramped" as the 9mm bolt can beat kinda hard on the hammer and pins. It is not necessary on a semi lower, the full autos are the ones that seem to get beat pretty hard as they fire so many rounds, but I perosnally figure "it can't hurt." LRM firearms does this service for $35.

So as you can see, you will be looking at an investment of around $600 either way. The ultra plug-and-play system seems to be the Olympic upper, although the Rock River Arms is really nice if you already have an Uzi and Uzi mags (like I do).

Q: "What types of magzine blocks are available, I hear all sorts of names.  Which blocks work with Which system?  Which require modified magazines?"

A: "Here you go, broken down by whch system uses them."

Colt pattern mag blocks

Colt Mag Block
-Usually pinned into a Colt lower, but can sometimes be found on the Equipment Exchange
-Bottom loader
-Uses setscrew (and pinnning in many instances) to secure
-Has bolt hold-open feature

Rock River Arms mag block
($150).

American Spirit Arms Block
-Top Loader model
-No bolt hold-open feature
*Note- apparently there are two versions, one designed for ribbed-back Uzi mags and one that is designed for the plasma tube welded Uzi mags with no back rib
. ASA is out of business as of 12/2006, sometimes you can find these on the EE

V M Hy Tech
www.vmhytech.com
Attn: John Cencioso
2701 W. Grovers
Phoenix, AZ 85053
Phone:(602)944-3956
-Block uses unmodified Uzi magazines ($150 07/02/07)
-does not actuate bolt hold-open
-Early version had a flat button and mags could disengage when yanked hard and mags were tight, Revised block now has raised button w/concentric rings and slightly larger magwell dimensions.

Garrison Manufacturing Inc.
www.garrisonmfginc.com
P.O. Box 231
Wauseon, OH 43567
1-419-392-2542
[email protected]
-Block uses modified Uzi magazines
-Unslotted version does not actuate bolt hold open ($125 in March 2004)
-Slotted version actuates bolt hold-open with replacement 9mm bolt catch.  Use of this catch means the lower can not use 5.56 mags. (block $135, 9mm catch $15 March 2004) 07/02/07- not sure if tey are still offering both versions.  

JRW Sports
142 E. Floyd Ave
Lake Mary, FL 32707
(407) 328-7836
-Block uses Uzi magazines with a mag catch notch cut in them (block apparently discontinued June 2003, price approx. $125 if you can find them)
-Bottom loader set screw design
-Actuates bolt hold-open w/Colt mags
 Long out of business as of 2004, the owner died.  Left here for archival purposes.

Crossfire Block
-Out of production
-Bottom loader set screw(?) design
-Description provided by "SOGwarrior" on his Corssfire block:

The CrossFire 9mm magwell conversion block is ALL steel and it is placed into the magwell through the bottom upwards. A ball detent on the front of the block has tension that holds it into place in the magwell. It also has an area on the side of the block where the magazine release fits into and holds it into place. When you release the magazine release button, it allows the magazine to drop free but still holds the block into place. The feed ramp allows just about any size of 9mm to be used and it is a part of the block. Is the feed ramp welded or machined to the block itself, I'm not sure since I don't have the block in front of me to look at. I've never had a round jam or FTF due to the the feed ramp. The ejector is held in the block by a pin I believe, so it can be replaced if need be. My ejector rides "nearly" side by side with my bolt without actually touching the bolt, and this has given me NEAR flawless performance at ejecting cases. This is critical and on some setups may need to be tweaked. One of the best features on the CrossFire is holding the bolt open on the last round fired WHEN using Colt mags. It really improves your ability to perform better at subgun shoots with this feature. The only problems I've ever really had was due to bad or damaged ammo but that is no fault of the CrossFire block. I hope this helps

Tacblock
-Copy of Crossfire block
-Out of production
-Bottom loader set screw(?) design

Hahn Precision Block
**07/02/07  Han now has several models, I will attempt to do writes ups on each in turn
-Top loader model w/no setscrews, does not actuate bolt
-Bottom loader model that uses a spring loaded detent (supposedly some models have a set screw) and actuates bolt hold-open on Colt mags
-Top loader $175, bottom loader $200 at Brownells March 2004.

SNS Industries block 07/02/07
A two part block that allows use of Sten mags in either the Colt or Olympic style systems.  A slot must be milled in the sten magazine.  Cost $85 shipped direct from SNS as of 07/02/07

Quarterbore.com/ar15m16/colt2stenmags.html
-Instructions on modifying a JRW block to accept Sten Mags

Olympic Arms system blocks

SOCOM Manufacturing
www.SOCOMMFG.com
-Block allows the use of unmodified Sten mags.  (Price $65 + $7 S&H as of June 2003)
SOCOM is out of business as of 07/02/07.  Still available on EE occasionally, left for archival purposes

Kurts Kustom Firearms Block
-Similar to SOCOM block, but much smaller profile.  

SNS Industries block 07/02/07
A two part block that allows use of Sten mags in either the Colt or Olympic style systems.  A slot must be milled in the sten magazine.  Cost $85 shipped direct from SNS as of 07/02/07

Hahn Precision block
Similar to the SOCOM and KKF block- held in by standard AR-15 mag release, and a lever under the magwell holds/releases the Sten mag, available for around $60-80 from Brownells and the like.  

Olympic Arms modified magazines-
-magazines have a block welded to them and no adapter is requred.  Have a funky "L" shape look to them.
-Were also manufactured by Dalphon, which went out of business Jan. 2004.

Lowers not requiring adapters

Cavalry Arms lower
-prototype "MKII" lower has a cruciform look to magwell cutout.  Magwell is wide enough in middle to accomodate a Thompson magazine.
-Rumor has it several companies are looking at designing .45 ACP uppers to use this lower, but none available as of March 2004.
**07/02/07  Han Percision offers a mag block for this lower, apparently a mag block *is* necessary.

This is so I don't lose this info later...

Weblinks on Colt/RRA 9mm upper, parts, etc.

www.adcofirearms.com
best prices on most Rock River Arms 9mm parts and uppers

www.garrisonmfginc.com
Colt type 9mm uppers, parts, and their own magwell blocks

www.m60joe.com
Magazine notching to make Uzi mags work in various mag blocks, bolt ramping, etc.

www.uzitalk.com
Good FAQ on the different types of Uzi mags available and their relative merits and weaknesses

www.coledistributing.com
Cheapest source of Uzi mags I have found- $99 for 10 used 25 round IMI mags, $1 ea for handpick.  Got mine back in Dec 2003, rumor has it they are out right now.  That special was not listed on their website, you have to call.

www.cdnninvestments.com
Another excellent source of Uzi mags, but website is not always up to date.  Call for specials.

Data on 9mm Colt style systems

Colt/RRA bolts come in "full auto" config, although a very few "semi" style colt bolts were made.  Both work fine for semi.

An unmodified bolt can use either a 9mm style hammer, an M16 hammer with the back end cut off (so as not to be illegal per NFA), or a DPMS style 5.56 hammer (which does not have the small rectangular notch on the front top face).  The standard 5.56 AR-15 hammer with the small notch on the fron top face will bind the bolt *badly* on the first shot!

The DPMS/M16 (modified) hammer may suffer trigger slap with a 9mm upper, but will function.

A 5.56 upper will not function with a 9mm hammer in the lower

A ramped bolt will work with all AR-15 and M16 hammers (modify M16 hammer to be NFA compliant!).  It may not function with a 9mm hammer, results have varied and seem to depend on tolerances between bolt/upper/lower.

Hollow point rounds may not feed reliably initially and mag blocks may need to be "throated" to help the feeding.

Ramping a Colt style 9mm Bolt: Why??

Although a Colt/Rock River 9mm upper will work with most hammers, it really was intended to be used with the Rock River 9mm hammer.  The hammers are reset in only 1/2" of bolt travel, which puts a considerable stress on both the hammer and the hammer pins.  Although it will not ruin a gun immediately, on a long enough time scale, espeically on full auto guns, this constant beating can wear on the lower and in some instances will "egg out" the hammer in holes.  The easy solution to this is to "ramp" the bolt, where the ramped area is increased in length (a shallower slope) thus increasing the reset distance to about 1 1/4" or so, and more than doubling the reset time of the hammer, thus lowering the impact forces on the lower, pins, etc.  

The following picture shows an unramped bolt carrier on top and a ramped bolt carrierat the bottom.  Note that the top bolt is actaully an M16 cariier, but the unramped porition is identical to that of an unramped 9mm bolt.  The ramped area is just under the firing pin and is the shiny/scratched area on the lower bolt carrier in the picture.  Note that most times when this area is ramped it is left "in the white" and not reparkerized.  See the ahmmer picture at the bottom of this post to better understand what has been "ramped" on the bolt:

tinypic.com/1pjssh

Muzzle Threading:

Muzzle is threaded 1/2x36 threads per inch on 9mm barrels (at RRA/Colt factory) as opposed to the 1/2x28 tpi use on 5.56

Olympic will thread 9mm only in 5/8x24 by default or 1/2x28 when asked. Other pistol caliber barrels are threaded 5/8x24.  (Per Mark Budam at Triple Break Products)

Barrel Sizes:

9mm postban RRA barrels measure .718" diameter at muzzle, .750" at front sight, and .675"  under handguard.

Which hammer do I have, and will it work in my 9mm upper?

There are FOUR (4) types of hammers in use.

1. M16 hammer.
Description: It has a "hook" on the back edge which allows for full auto with the proper parts.
WARNING: These are Illegal to posses in their orignal form per NFA unless installed in a registered class III weapon!
Works in:
M16: Yes
AR-15: Yes, but only with spur removed
Colt Style 9mm: Yes, but only with spur removed
Colt Style 9mm w/Ramped Bolt: Yes
Olympic Arms Pistol upper: Yes, but only with spur removed

2. 9mm Hammer.
Description: Basically a "stub"
Works in:
M16: Unkown
AR-15: Yes, according to one team member
Colt Style 9mm: Yes
Colt Style 9mm w/Ramped Bolt: Maybe, seems to depend on tolerances of mag block/upper/lower
Olympic Arms Pistol upper: No

3. AR-15 "DPMS" Style hammer
Description: Similar to M16 hammer but with no spur/hook on the back
M16: Yes(?)
AR-15: Yes
Colt Style 9mm: Yes, may experience "trigger slap"
Olympic Arms Pistol upper: Yes

4. AR-15 ("Rock River") Style hammer
Description: Similar to M16 hammer but with no spur/hook on back and a notch at the top front face
M16: Yes(?)
AR-15: Yes
Colt Style 9mm: No.  WARNING- this will most likely BADLY jam hammer against bolt on first shot and not only jam weapon, but make removal of upper from lower extremely difficult!
Olympic Arms Pistol upper: Yes

The following picture shows from left toe right an M-16 hammer with the "rat tail" removed, a "DPMS" style AR-15 hammer (also referred to as a "Sporter Hammer" by some people" and a "Rock River" style AR-15 hammer on the right, which is the most common type of AR-15 hammer.  A 9mm bolt/carrier (is shown above, and note the ramping on the underside- the gradual slope of whcih can easily be seen.

tinypic.com/1pjtb7

Link Posted: 9/3/2007 8:53:26 AM EDT
[#18]
Can the 9mm case deflector & ejection port door be put on a 223 upper?  Is that all that's required to "convert" a 223 upper to a 9mm upper?  Aside from having the gas tube hole up front.  

I have an old A1 upper without a case deflector or forward assist that I'd like to use for a 9mm project, ala the Colt 9mm SMG, but seems that everyone is only selling A2 & Flat Top style 9mm uppers.  
Link Posted: 9/4/2007 12:44:24 AM EDT
[#19]

Originally Posted By KSUJedi:
Can the 9mm case deflector & ejection port door be put on a 223 upper?  Is that all that's required to "convert" a 223 upper to a 9mm upper?  Aside from having the gas tube hole up front.  

I have an old A1 upper without a case deflector or forward assist that I'd like to use for a 9mm project, ala the Colt 9mm SMG, but seems that everyone is only selling A2 & Flat Top style 9mm uppers.  

Yes, they can.  If the gas hole blows too much crap out of it just fill it in with some high temp gasket compound to plug it.
Link Posted: 9/18/2007 10:59:55 PM EDT
[#20]
height=8
Originally Posted By onetros:
I new to this forum and there is so much to catch up on I really have'nt.  I read what squibload said about the wrong question so I'll phrase mine differently.  I have on order, with only the complete lower at my FFL.  It's a 9mm threaded short barrrel (it's considered a pistol I'm told) from RRA.  The upper is from Gemtech and is the The Trinity System.

That is a suppressor with the handgards designed for 9mm.  Any comments are welcome,including negative.  Thanks, onetros.

Great system from Gemtech!  It's actually called the Talon though.  Trinity is their 9mm suppressor.  Both are great from what I understand.  I have shot the Trinity and I know a class 3 manufacturer who really likes the Talon upper.  Just be sure not to put it on a rifle lower if you're not registered for SBR!!!!

I'm hoping to purchase that set up down the road and attach it to a pistol lower as Washington does not allow civilians SBR's.  hat
Nice choice for sure!  Look forward to hearing your feedback on the system!  Mike D.
Link Posted: 9/25/2007 9:11:39 PM EDT
[#21]
so where is the best place to have the "bolt-ramp" work done?  
what does it entail?
pics to compare ramped vs nonramped?

thanks
Link Posted: 10/3/2007 3:15:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Einstein] [#22]
Will the ProMag Polymer Waffle mags work with the RRA mag Block Adapter?

Found the answer (Yes, but don't use it when your ass is on the line).
Link Posted: 11/6/2007 12:31:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SysOps] [#23]
Will the Chip McCormick Super Match Curved Single Stage Trigger Group work with an RRA 9mm BCG?

I've been contemplating buying one for my first 9mm build and a few of the images on here refuse to load.

http://www.midwayusa.com/mediasvr.dll/highresimage?saleitemid=977681

Edit: No it will not.
Link Posted: 11/7/2007 12:44:39 AM EDT
[#24]
tag
Link Posted: 11/7/2007 1:55:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: M-Dub] [#25]
height=8
Originally Posted By SysOps:
Will the Chip McCormick Super Match Curved Single Stage Trigger Group work with an RRA 9mm BCG?

I've been contemplating buying one for my first 9mm build and a few of the images on here refuse to load.

www.midwayusa.com/mediasvr.dll/highresimage?saleitemid=977681

I'm curious about the same thing.

I'm ASSUMING from what I'm reading here that if you ramp your bolt properly, the shape of the 9mm bolt once ramped should mimick that of the 5.56mm bolt carrier, so you should be able to use ANY AR-15 .223 hammer with the 9mm upper.

Would that be a correct statement?

I've tried in several threads to find someone who could say, "Yes, I have used xxx trigger with yyy 9mm bolt and it has functioned fine", but it seems like few people want to commit to a statement. It's more like, "Try it at your own risk".
Link Posted: 11/11/2007 7:40:04 PM EDT
[#26]
I too would love an answer to the above question, one thing that was stopping me from buying a 9mm upper is the fact that I read on the RRA site that you have to use a mil trigger and hammer.
Link Posted: 11/15/2007 10:07:36 PM EDT
[#27]

Originally Posted By squibload:
The OLY system can also be modified to use several styles of pistol magazines (Glock, Sig, Beretta, etc.) This requires a special block and some modification to the pistol magazine. Thus, an owner can have two guns using the same magazine...

can someone explain this more?  
Link Posted: 11/24/2007 9:28:50 PM EDT
[#28]
Anyone know where I can get a 9mm muzzle brake for a threaded barrel?  I've been searching for weeks now and can't find anything anywhere.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 11/27/2007 10:13:53 PM EDT
[#29]
Brake? No. Only know of the Smith Vortex flash suppressor. Just curious, but why a brake? The 9 mil has almost no recoil as it is.
Link Posted: 11/28/2007 12:58:01 AM EDT
[#30]
Here's some info i know should be in the faq.

Link Posted: 12/12/2007 10:05:53 AM EDT
[#31]

Originally Posted By abomb60:
Anyone know where I can get a 9mm muzzle brake for a threaded barrel?  I've been searching for weeks now and can't find anything anywhere.

Thanks.

I would like an answer to this also. Being in CT I need to keep my AR AWB compliant.

Thanks

Joshua
Link Posted: 12/28/2007 1:04:42 AM EDT
[#32]

Originally Posted By hawangdo:
Here's some info i know should be in the faq.

i185.photobucket.com/albums/x2/hawangdo/uzi_relief.jpg

i185.photobucket.com/albums/x2/hawangdo/uzi_slot.jpg

What mag is that?
Link Posted: 1/23/2008 12:33:33 AM EDT
[#33]
Who sells 9mm ramped bolts?
Link Posted: 1/24/2008 3:08:05 PM EDT
[#34]
Question.....will a Knight RAS work on a RRA 9mm barrel?
Link Posted: 1/24/2008 6:50:38 PM EDT
[#35]

Originally Posted By CleverNickname:

Only 1 source for ramped bolt sales, that is "Ken Elmore",, sell a factory Colt bolt he ramps and  intstall tungsten for more more weight --> $$$$$$$

Buy a bolt from ASA, RRA, or Garrison, and have it ramped and only have maybe 1/2 of what Ken sell for, no need for tungsten weight, you can add more buffer weight for a lot less $$.

Originally Posted By StonerStudent:

This thing ??

Looks like carbine handguard replacement, so long as you fasten the barrel to the upper with std barrel nut, and cap at front, go for it.
Link Posted: 1/24/2008 8:27:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rich219] [#36]
Is there a general preference between 25rd and 32rd Uzi mags for 9mm ARs?

Also, if I do a Colt style build can I buy any manufacturers 9mm barrel?
Link Posted: 1/24/2008 10:23:35 PM EDT
[#37]

Originally Posted By Rich219:
Is there a general preference between 25rd and 32rd Uzi mags for 9mm ARs?
Not that I aware of, preferance, 25's more common, 32's seem to be coming in more.

Also, if I do a Colt style build can I buy any manufacturers 9mm barrel?

COLT pattern  =  COLT, ASA, RRA, Garrison, custom cut from blank is simple to do, just need a reamer to chamber it.
Link Posted: 1/25/2008 7:47:38 AM EDT
[#38]

Only 1 source for ramped bolt sales, that is "Ken Elmore",, sell a factory Colt bolt he ramps and  intstall tungsten for more more weight --> $$$$$$$

Buy a bolt from ASA, RRA, or Garrison, and have it ramped and only have maybe 1/2 of what Ken sell for, no need for tungsten weight, you can add more buffer weight for a lot less $$.

Originally Posted By StonerStudent:

This thing ??

www.impactguns.com/store/media/kmc_rasm4.jpg

Looks like carbine handguard replacement, so long as you fasten the barrel to the upper with std barrel nut, and cap at front, go for it.

The reason for the question is, the RAS because of it's means of attachment is less forgiving then the RIS model when it comes to barrel diameter....and I don't know what the barrel diameter is on a 9mm AR barrel.
Link Posted: 1/25/2008 9:07:07 PM EDT
[#39]
The RAS dropped right onto my RRA 9mm upper and locked right in.  It went on easier than a different RAS installed on my DPMS .22 upper and a whole lot easier than the Armalite rail went on my AR-10 carbine.
Link Posted: 1/26/2008 7:52:10 PM EDT
[#40]

ADCO also sells a ramped RRA bolt.  Or just send yours to member MGP and have him do it.  He ramped mine and sent it back to me the same day he got it.
Link Posted: 1/26/2008 8:48:54 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 1/29/2008 11:55:08 PM EDT
[#42]
so i have a RRA 9mm on order but im having a hard time figuring out what mags fit. Also where is a good place to order them from?
Link Posted: 1/30/2008 8:27:23 AM EDT
[#43]

Originally Posted By shyster0909:
so i have a RRA 9mm on order but im having a hard time figuring out what mags fit. Also where is a good place to order them from?

C Products is the way to go.  I recommend getting them from 44MAG.  
Link Posted: 2/5/2008 11:21:48 PM EDT
[#44]
Is it cheaper to buy the assembled RRA 9mm upper or purchase the upper piece by piece?
Link Posted: 2/7/2008 5:39:27 PM EDT
[#45]
I have found a place that has a flattop Oly Arms 9mm upper. The guy says that the complete guns they have use the Glock mags and he doesn't know if this Oly Arms upper uses Sten mags or Glock mags. My question is, does Oly Arms make an upper for glock mags and an upper for Sten mags or are all the Oly Arms 9mm uppers the same?
Link Posted: 2/7/2008 9:01:11 PM EDT
[#46]
Do 9mm upper come in midlength or just CAR length gas systems.
Link Posted: 2/7/2008 10:16:47 PM EDT
[#47]

Originally Posted By Rich219:
Do 9mm upper come in midlength or just CAR length gas systems.

9mm ARs use blowback, so there is no gas system.  RRA sells uppers with the front sight post in both the carbine and mid length position.
Link Posted: 2/10/2008 2:37:26 PM EDT
[#48]
Hey all,
if no one has tried lately - I called oly this last week (2-5-08) to try and get a 9mm lower and they said "we dont offer them separately"

on another note I was looking at machining a 0% lower to us a a glock mag and . It appears that when the glock mag inserted into a standard lower is going to be close to the grip angle to function.

Posting the latter in the build your own area also.

Thanks for all of the great infromation:
Fordf150
Link Posted: 2/17/2008 9:14:20 PM EDT
[#49]
Are the Rock River dedicated 9mm lowers available from the factory as an SBR?

Thanks!
Sid
Link Posted: 2/29/2008 4:29:49 AM EDT
[#50]
I know adco has factory 5.56 SBR's, but NO 9MM.  If that's any indication.  
Page / 7
9mm AR FAQ (Page 3 of 7)
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top