Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/29/2017 11:13:51 PM EDT
I'm having some trouble with a lower that I have that the magazines are hard to insert into, even when empty. I know it's not the upper because I've swapped uppers to be sure.

When I lock the bolt to the rear, the magazines are very easy to insert like they should be, but even with an empty mag and the bolt closed, I really have to give it a whack and the magazines don't drop free either. Just curious as to what this could be.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 11:26:14 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd wonder if your mag catch is screwed in too far.  Have you tested it with a number of other mags by different manucaturers?
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 12:14:07 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'd wonder if your mag catch is screwed in too far.  Have you tested it with a number of other mags by different manucaturers?
View Quote
im going with this first.
Link Posted: 7/30/2017 12:38:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 8/1/2017 11:24:46 PM EDT
[#4]
Sorry for taking so long to respond, but yes I have tried a good variety of magazines. Pmags, ETS magazines, GI magazines, etc... Like I said, if I lock back the bolt, I can insert them just fine, but once the bolt is forward it takes quite a hard smack to get them to insert, even when empty. I've never had this issue with any other AR's I own.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 4:59:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Okay well did you check the  catch? 
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 9:42:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Back the mag catch out 1/2 turn at a time and keep testing to see if it eliminates the problem.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 6:47:11 PM EDT
[#7]
The slot for the magazine catch may be milled to high on the lower causing the feed lips on the magazine to drag on the bolt.
You could possibly check the slot against a different lower with calipers or using a depth mic measure down from the top of the lower to the top of the catch.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 7:30:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The slot for the magazine catch may be milled to high on the lower causing the feed lips on the magazine to drag on the bolt.
You could possibly check the slot against a different lower with calipers or using a depth mic measure down from the top of the lower to the top of the catch.
View Quote
Wonder what lower it is.
Link Posted: 8/6/2017 8:03:39 PM EDT
[#9]
WFT @OverScoped
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top