Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/23/2017 3:15:59 AM EDT
Yes, I will hear many comments here...but I figure this IS the best place to ask.
With prices dropping like a strippers panties, even I am tempted to an AR15. However, the one thing that turned me off the platform back when I shot that M-16A1 in 1984 was the SPROINNNGG in my ear from the spring on every shot. What aftermarket parts are suggested here to remove the sproing of the spring? With that, what "budget" AR would be a choice to fit that part into?
Thank you for your time.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 3:54:00 AM EDT
[#1]
What you're looking for is a hydraulic buffer.

As for budget ARs, there are lots of inexpensive options from quality brands and, to be honest, there's nothing really wrong with any of them.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 3:59:53 AM EDT
[#2]
All you need is a Tubb flatwire buffer spring
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 4:20:57 AM EDT
[#3]
IMHO, the collapsible stocks transmit less of the sproing noise to the shooter than the fixed stock does. Many people have reported nearly eliminating the sproing noise by putting some white lithium grease, or similar grease on the recoil spring.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 4:25:24 AM EDT
[#4]
I've got some that are quiet, others that are loud. You can eliminate it going with something like the JP silent capture setup or a flat wire spring.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 7:13:32 AM EDT
[#5]
The Geissele buffer also eliminates this noise.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 7:26:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
All you need is a Tubb flatwire buffer spring
View Quote
Lol, needed one to make my $5k Sr25 run reliably.  So I guess the op's statement stands..
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 7:31:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Geissele Super 42 works well.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 8:45:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Jp polished spring + lithium grease, or the JP SCS (or a clone of it)...
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 3:59:51 PM EDT
[#9]
From my understanding... The sproing, is from resonance in the spring. Basically, pressure waves  keep progressing in the spring after the bolt closes.

Some springs eliminate this resonance, or reduce it greatly. Captured springs, or flat wire springs are some. There is a buffer with an expanded tail, that can help. The Geissele braided spring may reduce it as well.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 4:09:40 PM EDT
[#10]
a hydraulic buffer will help,

a silent capture buffer would also help,

a poly Colt buffer was known then and now to stop the noise too.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 5:59:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Embrace the sproing! It lets you know your rifle is working as it should.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 6:12:21 PM EDT
[#12]
Grease, preferably white lithium, will all but eliminate any "sproing" from your AR. On and in the spring and I add some to the buffer too.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 6:56:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Trying out my new CapArms silent capture buffer system that I got at the NRA conference in Atlanta. It seems quiet but my traditional spring buffer systems never bothered me anyway.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 9:51:44 PM EDT
[#14]
Fixed stock makes the sound much more noticeable than a collapsible stock extension for some reason. Buy a AR with a milspec collapsible stock and see if it bothers you, if it does their are numerous options to fix it.
Link Posted: 7/23/2017 11:55:40 PM EDT
[#15]
I usually shoot with amplified muffs, so after the report of the gun, I would hear the spring in my ear... I put on the Fixed Carbine Magpul stock to get rid of the wobble of the annoying collapsible stock, and it actually made the spring much quieter.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 12:19:36 AM EDT
[#16]
The inside of my Shockwave buffer tube has ridges....just like the fucking potato chips. I am seriously considering taking the whole thing off my pistol and putting on something else. It makes such a racket it is actually unpleasant to shoot.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 11:46:26 AM EDT
[#17]
It wasn't really a question, and I guess it's kind of understandable, but my buddy was convinced shooting his AR with the dust cover closed would destroy his whole gun.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 12:37:24 PM EDT
[#18]
Damage Industries chrome silicon spring. it will last much longer too.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 2:34:32 PM EDT
[#19]
OK, some great ideas and thank you - stupid question number 2. If I were to buy a start AR like this one, any of these upgrades will fit any AR currently made by name brand manufacturers? I'm used to a niche market, sorry.

http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-mid-length-5-56-nato-1-7-nitride-moe-ept-freedom-rifle-516446376.html

I understand REAL AR guys get all irritated with PSA, unknown why, but the price is closer to what I could actually afford for a "entry level" AR.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 3:11:18 PM EDT
[#20]
No shame in buying a starter AR, pretty much everyone (here) has done it at one point or another...and PSA is a decent source.

At any rate, yes, AR stuff from different manufacturers tends to be compatible with other manufacturer's stuff...but there are many many exceptions as the market has grown over the years and companies have stretched the market beyond standard 'mil spec' stuff for various reasons. Regarding the spring noise mitigation ideas presented in this thread, so long as you get the variant that is for collapsible/carbine stock-style receiver extensions (aka "buffer tubes), then you're good to go and it should be completely compatible. Checking the web site of the manufacturer prior to buying whatever option you choose, just to be safe, check the manufacturer's www site.
Link Posted: 7/24/2017 11:38:51 PM EDT
[#21]
You know... You could have asked all this on the firing line forum too

In general, any milspec AR should take any milspec part. Thats the whole point of it.

PSA makes a good entry rifle, their higher end Premium line is very good as well, and their BCGs are made very well too. They have been shown to handle hard use as well as the big boys. They are getting more respect after the owner of Battlefield Las Vegas came out and said how well they are holding up in his high volume machine gun shoot range. Going through thousands of rounds every day, and lasting a good long time too.

That rifle you linked is basically milspec except for the melonite barrel, and that isn't really a bad thing either. Made with all the right parts and from the right materials, in the right places. It will likely hold up well to anything you threw at it.

It would serve as a great base for any future parts and upgrades you could want.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 12:16:09 AM EDT
[#22]
Yeah, I coulda gone to TFL, but when it's this specific, why not go to the place that covers that specific one? :) That's how I get many visitors to my webforum.
Thank you for all the informed and informative replies, given me much to think about and I will start exploring my options!
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 2:41:40 AM EDT
[#23]
chrome silicon spring reduces it a lot. brownells has em for the same price as regular.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 2:44:33 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
The inside of my Shockwave buffer tube has ridges....just like the fucking potato chips. I am seriously considering taking the whole thing off my pistol and putting on something else. It makes such a racket it is actually unpleasant to shoot.
View Quote
and yeah kak tubes are the worst. i plan on eventually dimpling a phase5 or some other tube and put my blade on it.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 9:49:05 AM EDT
[#25]
As mentioned before, jp polished spring eliminates the spring noise and helps smooth up your action.
Link Posted: 7/25/2017 7:02:50 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Yeah, I coulda gone to TFL, but when it's this specific, why not go to the place that covers that specific one? :) That's how I get many visitors to my webforum.
Thank you for all the informed and informative replies, given me much to think about and I will start exploring my options!
View Quote
A rifle like the one from PSA will work fine and get you started on your journey to incurable black rifle disease.  

You may want to consider doing your own build, at the very least build your own lower.  It's a great experience and you will never have any trouble fixing it if something goes wrong.  That way you will be ready to start swapping in better grade parts.   IMO that's the greatest thing about the AR platform - everything can be replaced easily.
Link Posted: 7/28/2017 1:52:54 AM EDT
[#27]
OP JUST SHOOT WITHOUT EAR PROTECTION FOR A WHILE YOU WON'T NOTICE THE SPRING NOISE

Quoted:
What you're looking for is a hydraulic buffer.

As for budget ARs, there are lots of inexpensive options from quality brands and, to be honest, there's nothing really wrong with any of them.
View Quote
back in 04 I bought 3 hydraulic buffers the last one broke this year  they seem to cause problem with bolt hold open then they begin to leak

I just use classic buffersprings from PSA now.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 4:24:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
OP JUST SHOOT WITHOUT EAR PROTECTION FOR A WHILE YOU WON'T NOTICE THE SPRING NOISE
View Quote
WHAT? I CAN'T HEAR YOU!!

Actually, I have done that - the Navy insisted that sound powered phones were "hearing protection" when shooting the 3"50, a roughly 76mm fixed ammunition cannon that was going off approximately 2 feet from my right ear. It was still fun.
Link Posted: 7/29/2017 8:23:13 AM EDT
[#29]
I've been using the Strike flat wire spring. Seems to work so far. Only about $17
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top