Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 7/17/2017 9:48:23 AM EDT
I purchased my first Ar-15 last week. I've been watching youTube videos of cleaning the bolt and that. One video said that gas rings need aligned so none of the rings are matching up. When I put the bolt and charge handle in the gun after purchasing I didn't know this and just slid it all in without looking and the gun shot just fine. I did more searching and another source said this doesn't really matter. Can someone give me a straight answer.  

I purchased a Colt Competition crx-16 and little did I know this gun wasn't manufacturer by colt themselves but rather a company from Texas licensed to use colts name. I look further into this company and found they are no longer in business... So now what? Do I still have a warranty on the gun. Did I make a bad purchase on this model?

Im really happy with the gun at 50 yards I'm  driving bullets same hole about everytime. 100 yards I maintain 1inch MOA AT 100 YARDS... The only thing I don't like about this thing is the 6lb trigger pull.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 10:16:07 AM EDT
[#1]
1.  It's good practice to make sure the gaps in the rings are staggered before putting the bolt back in the BCG.  If you didn't and it shot fine, that just proves that it's not super critical.  Don't lose sleep over it.

2.  I'm not familiar with that gun, but given that AR parts are as common/cheap as they ever have been in history, if anything breaks on that gun, you can easily fix it yourself.  

3.  If you don't like the trigger, change it out.  See #2 above.

Welcome to the world of ARs!  I got my first one about a year and a half ago, and it's grown into a real obsession.  I'm working on building one for my wife now.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 10:41:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 1:35:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Gas ring alignment is nonsense.  They move on their own during normal operation.

Call Colt and ask them about warranty.

Replace your trigger with a Geissele SSA.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 3:16:02 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm looking at a new Rise Armament RA-140 SUPER SPORTING TRIGGER. Only a 3.5 lb trigger.  Anyone's thought on these?

What is difference between single stage and double stage triggers?

Also I've looked for this gun online and different sites say the barrel is a 223 Wylde? Does not show this on the gun. The lower says 223 and tip of barrel says 556.
Link Posted: 7/17/2017 4:17:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm looking at a new Rise Armament RA-140 SUPER SPORTING TRIGGER. Only a 3.5 lb trigger.  Anyone's thought on these?

Also I've looked for this gun online and different sites say the barrel is a 223 Wylde? Does not show this on the gun. The lower says 223 and tip of barrel says 556.
View Quote
Single stage trigger is like a 1911 - little/no take up, just apply pressure and it breaks.

Two stage trigger is like a Glock - noticeable pre-travel, you hit a wall, add a touch more pressure and it breaks.

One style isn't better than the other - just preference.  You probably don't want a very light trigger if this is a multi-purpose rifle.

Disregard caliber on the lower - you could slap a .50 Beowulf upper on that lower and it won't fire .223.  If the barrel is stamped 556, I'd go with that.  If it really is a Wylde chamber, then it can still handle 556 loads.

Put some grease on the engagement surfaces of your trigger and hammer.  It can help improve the feel.  White lithium, synthetic, wheel bearing, moly... whatever you have in the garage will be fine.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 10:52:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Gas ring alignment is nonsense.  They move on their own during normal operation.

Call Colt and ask them about warranty.

Replace your trigger with a Geissele SSA.
View Quote
...or for half the $, the Larue MBT. When I was looking for a trigger for my DMR, people suggested SSA and MBT. I got both (there was a sale!) to try side by side. In the end, I did put the SSA in the DMR build, but imo both triggers were fantastic and which is "better" is just a matter of personal preference in the feel. They are both very very nice, and if cost is a factor, you won't be disappointed in the MBT.
Link Posted: 8/13/2017 5:19:41 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

...or for half the $, the Larue MBT. When I was looking for a trigger for my DMR, people suggested SSA and MBT. I got both (there was a sale!) to try side by side. In the end, I did put the SSA in the DMR build, but imo both triggers were fantastic and which is "better" is just a matter of personal preference in the feel. They are both very very nice, and if cost is a factor, you won't be disappointed in the MBT.
View Quote
^^^^^^ Spot on! Larue has a sale on the MBT for $99 on occasion. You really can't beat that. I have Geissele SSA-E and MBT triggers and prefer the MBT. Maybe because it's so good at 1/2 the price. Just enjoy your rifle and learn it inside and out, read and watch everything you can then get into the real AR sickness...building them from scratch. Welcome to the form and the AR addiction!
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 10:33:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Please check out and get subscribed to my YouTube channel! I make my own gun parts! [spam deleted and account locked - Paul]
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 11:49:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Queen - Another One Bites the Dust (Official Video)
Link Posted: 9/14/2017 4:07:20 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I'm looking at a new Rise Armament RA-140 SUPER SPORTING TRIGGER. Only a 3.5 lb trigger. s thought on these?

View Quote
Every pistol on earth and most rifles are equipped with a single stage trigger. All that means is that there is one range of motion that you have to pull the trigger through to release the firing pin or striker. The nice thing about a single stage trigger is that it’s simple. No gimmicks, just a basic approach to a functioning rifle. I think most would agree the single stage triggers are both easier to adjust, and crisper in the “break” of the trigger
The advantage of a two stage trigger is knowing precisely when the trigger is going to break and cause the rifle to fire. As you squeeze back and apply pressure on a two stage trigger you progress through the first stage

Edit:  This is a Technical Forum.  Do not post foolishness or your stay here will be short. - Old_Painless
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top