Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/26/2017 9:30:25 PM EDT
Not sure if this is the correct category to post in but quick question for long time ar15 shooters, (notice I didn't say owners lol)

I've been getting into high quality ar parts with my recent builds and had very good luck with the receivers being very tight fits, I mean absolutely no play, which was the intention, my question is, will this awesome fit eventually loosen up? I have a stag arms that had a very small almost undetectable amount of play between the upper and lower and after 5k rounds is exactly the same, should I expect the same for an extremely tight fitting setup? Thanks
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 11:07:02 PM EDT
[#1]
my older a1 is still pretty tight.  its broken in but tight.  the upper is surplus on a newer lower but it is no looser than when it was put together over 10 years ago. I have shot that rifle quite a bit.
Link Posted: 6/26/2017 11:46:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Thats what I was hoping for thanks man
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 2:38:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Don't sweat it.
I had an M16 and a couple AR15's that rattled like maracas. They shot as good as the ammo I fed them.

The M16 in particular was a fracking can't miss rifle despite having more slop between the upper and lower than a worn out screen doors hinges.

Enjoy the tightness and also enjoy the pride that comes from wearing them loose if you ever do so.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 10:44:04 AM EDT
[#4]
It will loosen up, but this is a good thing.  Tight receivers are your personal preference, but they make absolutely no positive impact on rifle performance.  Most volume shooters prefer a little play, because it makes disassembly easier.
Link Posted: 6/27/2017 11:18:45 PM EDT
[#5]
My v7 forged matched set has no play whatsoever yet the takedown pins couldn't pop out any easier, now that's a quality match that I'm hoping will stay that way,
I know its not that big a deal but where technically speaking a loose upper doesn't effect performance , it affects the shooter on which good performance is completely depended on.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 10:30:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My v7 forged matched set has no play whatsoever yet the takedown pins couldn't pop out any easier, now that's a quality match that I'm hoping will stay that way,
I know its not that big a deal but where technically speaking a loose upper doesn't effect performance , it affects the shooter on which good performance is completely depended on.
View Quote
The holy grail:  good fit and easy pins.  It usually doesn't work out that way.
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 7:40:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Unfortunately that's true, I guess I just got lucky
Link Posted: 6/28/2017 8:32:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just built a 20" A4 on a stripped Mega upper and lower. I don't know if the guy I bought them from purchased them as a matched set, or if Mega even does that. But this rifle has ABSOLUTELY no wobble, yet I can still push the pins out with ease. I have a Colt 6920 that is the same way. I have another 6920 that wobbles, and a BCM that does the same thing. I think it's just luck of the draw.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 12:38:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Usually they loosen up ever so slightly over time.  I have owned a lot of "top teir" rifles and the only ones that have actually had zero wobble (feel like they are welded to the lower) are my 2 MRPs.  I can get the pins out without tools on them but I wouldn't call it a breeze to disassemble, relatively speaking.  I do want to build an SPR off a mega set tho bc I have heard good things about their receivers but have never used them.
Link Posted: 6/29/2017 4:10:25 PM EDT
[#10]
I was impressed by the fit and finish of the Mega stuff I used. From what I have read, that is typical of their stuff. The lower came with a screw that went in the bottom to tighten tension, but it wasn't needed.
Link Posted: 6/30/2017 6:04:41 PM EDT
[#11]
FWIW in my experience OP you will experience some loosening but nothing too extreme unless your rifles are actually getting slammed against vehicles, the deck and such.  All rifles will loosen up some but it varies on use in my experience.  I will add that I have used some rifles that you could insert a couple of debit/credit cards stacked upon each other and never had a problem with the accuracy or function of those rifles.  I hope this helps bro.
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top