Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/11/2017 10:28:17 PM EDT
Hello everyone.  Retired Army here, Infantry/SF, lots of time with M16A1 and A2s.  Even taught BRM at Fort Dix many years ago.  I was off of teams when M4/SOPMODS came into the inventory but had opportunities to familiarize as a staff guy.  This is an interesting community with a lot of very knowledgeable folks, and also evidently some pretty strong opinions on a wide range of subjects.  I'm mainly interested in AR15 builds and just posted some pics of my first build on the 18" thread.  At risk of "dupe" here's one more.  It's primarily for 3 gun, which I'm just getting started in, and this forum was a primary reference as I designed and built it.  

So thanks very much and I look forward to participating here.

Link Posted: 6/12/2017 2:14:35 AM EDT
[#1]
First off, thank you for serving.
Second, nice looking stick, simple minimalist approach. I like it.
Only one negative in my eyes. That is the muzzle break instead of a flash hider. I am assuming that rifle is a 5.56. Jmtcw but in my experience over the last few decades muzzle breaks on a 5.56 is analogous to putting a turbo on a Yugo. Annoys nearby shooters and a bit of overkill I think. Having shot several different MBs on 5.56s I could feel no discernable difference in felt recoil on similarly equipped rifles having flash hiders.

Nonetheless, your rifle, your happy, all is cool.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 7:38:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Welcome 
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 9:41:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Welcome and nice build. I have a different opinion than the one above me. With 2 similar builds, mine with a brake is noticeably different. Much flatter and stays on target. As a primary 3 gun build, I wouldn't be worrying about anyone near me complaining about noise or concussion.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 8:25:11 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the welcome notes.  Hope to learn a lot from you all.  As far as the compensator, it actually never occurred to me that other shooters might be put off by excess noise.  I googled it and turns out yep, it's a thing.  So thanks for the warning on that.  But however, I basically designed this gun from the ground up for minimum recoil and minimal muzzle flip for 3 gun.  I think BillyJack is right - no one's really going to care during a competition.  They'll probably all be sporting compensators themselves anyway.

So far I've fired 140 rds of Winchester 5.56, 55gr FMJ with one FTF.  I'm thinking it was a bad round though as the primer strike was solid and no other feeding or ejection issues to report.

Thanks again.

ETA: based on this post, I believe the primer is upside down.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_16/714829_Anyone-seen-this-before--primer--.html

Link Posted: 7/19/2017 3:08:47 PM EDT
[#5]
hello and welcome!

what kind of stock is that?  i like it.
Link Posted: 8/2/2017 10:07:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Stock and hand guard are both Lancer.  Here are the vitals:

Lancer L15 lower with competition mag well, stock, handguard and muzzle brake
VLTOR MUR upper
JP 1-8x18" Wylde, adjustable gas block, low mass BCG and captured spring
Geissele SD-3G trigger
BCM ambi charging handle and pistol grip
Ambi selector, bolt release and mag release
Vortex Strike Eagle 1-6x24
Magpul flip up irons

More pics here - * * * 18 inch barreled AR15 lovefest and convention pic thread * * * (Page 5 of 5)
Link Posted: 8/5/2017 3:36:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top