Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/11/2017 2:26:15 PM EDT
Hello everybody,

I've had a mini 14 for years, but finally decided to build an AR. Here is what I chose:

San Tan Tactical matched upper and lower
Battle Arms Development ambidextrous safety selector
BCM Trigger Group
16" mid-length FN CHF barrel
Low profile gas block (forgot the brand)
BCM Gunfighter charging handle
Nitrited BCG (unbranded, but quality work)
Noveske NSR 15 hand guard with Vertexops barrel nuts
Magpul STR stock
HK Battle Grip
Generic 3 prong flash hider
Flip up front and rear sights

I will add an optic later once I've learned to shoot it with iron sights, and then offset the iron sights to 45°.

Right now everything is finger tightened. I need some incidental parts, that seem to be taking forever to get here, before I can pin the gas block to the barrel.

My plan is to get everything together, see how I like it, and upgrade parts once I can tell the difference. The trigger seems to be about 6-7 pounds, and is high on the list of parts to upgrade. The flash hider will be replaced with a Noveske KX5 fairly soon.

So far I am really happy. The receiver is solid, nearly impossible to see light between the upper and lower. And even just being finger tight there are no rattles. Plus it says "tactical", so you know it's good.

Thoughts, advice, compliments?
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 8:18:12 PM EDT
[#1]
Welcome. 

My advice is your Rifle is pregnant. 
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 9:17:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Ha!  Yeah, I've been warned about that.  A coworker corrects me when I say I'm building an AR. He says "You're first AR."
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 1:40:41 AM EDT
[#3]
i dont think many would would recommend a kx5 on a 16 inch barrel, make it very long and front heavy. those are primarily for shorter sbrs and pistols.
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 1:29:02 PM EDT
[#4]
When you get it together, get out and shoot it.  It will learn you on what you want to do for your SECOND build.  First AR builds are becoming more common but I believe its best to start with a basic rifle and start the process rather than spending money on things you have no idea whether or not you will like them.  Once you have a box of parts left over from "upgrading" they have a tendency to turn into other rifles or they are a box of wasted money.

Just my $0.02.
Link Posted: 7/19/2017 9:37:30 PM EDT
[#5]
I wouldn't buy santan stuff waste of $$$ IMO.
I would buy a stag lower and a stag stripped upper. Put the money saved towards mags and ammo.

I'm a huge stag fan. Their products are great.  

Or even a BCM complete lower with their trigger installed. Then get their stripped upper to match it.  

Save $200 or more, don't waste your cash on a santan
Link Posted: 7/20/2017 1:04:04 AM EDT
[#6]
OP. I say screw it all build yourself a 14.5 pinned gov profile barrel throw the stock & grip, trigger & BUID you like on it  then top it off with a ta31 ACOG& throw rail on the 6:00 of your hand guards and put a grippod on it  

no qud rail to save weight no lights, no lasers, you will never use them. Then go have fun learning to shoot it out to 500 meters then learn to CQB with it.

then work on a WW2 collection.

Just try to keep it light.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 7:18:08 AM EDT
[#7]
What's the purpose of said rifle? Range paper puncher? Generic all purpose rifle? House gun?

Either way learn to shoot, spend money on mags, ammo and training and you'll end up building more specific purposed rifles.
Link Posted: 8/4/2017 9:37:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Skip the Kx5 thought and get a comp.
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top