Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/9/2017 6:46:55 PM EDT
Looks like my hand guard need to be trimmed a 1/4 of an inch.

I have read all the treads and am at a loss as to how to easiest trim my hand guards they don't make 14 and 3/4 hand guards and that is the look I want.

So I was wondering if my idea to use a miter block and hacksaw to cut down the over all length is viable.

I also plan on krylon spray painting the exposed metal for finish. Unless there is a better paint for the job that is inexpensive and easy to use.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

I would have posted pictures but can't figure out how.
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 7:09:15 PM EDT
[#1]
You could probably use a regular dovetail  saw as long as the teeth are fine enough, it is going to be difficult to get a straight cut with a hacksaw.
I cut mine with my electric miter saw with a metal cutting blade.
Finish with matte black spray paint
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 7:12:21 PM EDT
[#2]
I have an Electric miter saw. I didn't think of using that thanks.

Did You Sand the cut end of yours after cutting?
Link Posted: 6/9/2017 8:37:46 PM EDT
[#3]
No need to sand it, just use plenty of Wd-40, spray the blade and the hand guard before cutting, it will come out very smooth .
I bought a nonferrous metal cutting blade from Amazon for $20

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 4:03:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 6/10/2017 8:07:04 PM EDT
[#5]
Why not just purchase the proper handguard? There is no reason you should have to butcher any of the parts you buy if you purchase the correct parts to begin with.
Link Posted: 6/11/2017 1:43:35 PM EDT
[#6]
The look I want can not be achieved with the length they offer commercially so it has to be customized. If done properly it isn't butchering it's art and personalization.
Link Posted: 6/12/2017 5:43:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Usually, your rail should cover your gas block.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 12:13:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Post pictures first, before you apply WECSOG  guidelines.

Also what handguard and barrel combo.

Never heard of a gas block to stick out in front of a 15" handguard...the gasblock starts at ~12.5" mark and is only 2" long max
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 11:12:41 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Post pictures first, before you apply WECSOG  guidelines.

Also what handguard and barrel combo.

Never heard of a gas block to stick out in front of a 15" handguard...the gasblock starts at ~12.5" mark and is only 2" long max
View Quote
This.  How you're describing the issue doesn't make any sense.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 5:14:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Sorry I meant my Muzzle device.
Link Posted: 6/17/2017 5:20:08 AM EDT
[#11]
I got the look I want by cutting a 1/4 of an inch off the hand guard. Now I am wondering if anyone knows where I can get a quad rail end plate that is cone shaped inside?
Link Posted: 7/15/2017 5:54:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote
Not always. Certain Federal Agents say that uncovered gas blocks look intimidating.

Link Posted: 7/15/2017 6:25:33 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Not always. Certain Federal Agents say that uncovered gas blocks look intimidating.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/exposedtube-660x441.jpg
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/exposedtube-660x441.jpg
yes because stupid people are scary

we need pics OP
Link Posted: 7/16/2017 2:48:14 AM EDT
[#14]
Rather than black spray paint, you might try something like Birchwood-Casey Aluminum Black on the cut end. It it reacts to bare metal and gives a nice matte black finish that will hold up better than spray paint. They sell it primarily for touching up AR15s, or guns with a similar finish, so it matches matte black anodizing quite well.
Link Posted: 8/17/2017 5:24:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

What a (insert name here)
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 10:32:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Please check out and get subscribed to my YouTube channel! I make my own gun parts![spam deleted and account locked - Paul]
Link Posted: 9/9/2017 11:48:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Queen - Another One Bites the Dust (Official Video)
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top