Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/17/2017 3:15:15 PM EDT
Unfortunately I live in Canada and don't have the freedom with the AR platforms as you guys do.

Want to get/build one, but am wondering are ALL AR parts interchangeable...i.e
Colt lower with an Anderson upper or does most parts have to be manufactured by one REP.

Is there a limit??
I believe this is why all the discussion takes place because of the interchangeability of the parts between guns??
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 5:06:43 PM EDT
[#1]
99% of parts are interchangeable. Some older colts had different size fcg pins etc... But nowadays pretty much parts is parts
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 5:27:46 PM EDT
[#2]
Sometimes billet receivers can be picky.  Some billet uppers don't work with certain handguards, and some billet lowers can have issues with certain magazines or other small parts, like the BAD lever, for example.
Link Posted: 5/17/2017 8:07:09 PM EDT
[#3]
The "universal" nature of the AR, and it's components, is a major reason why it's so popular.  There are some exceptions when it comes to uniformity, but 99% of the components are interchangeable across the majority of brands.

In terms of the functional design of the platform, there is no "secret sauce".
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 1:57:52 AM EDT
[#4]
As others have said most parts will fit each other in the AR 15 platform. There are a few exceptions but this is not the rule. All of my AR15s are frankin guns meaning different uppers and lowers, different manufacturers of barrels. triggers, furniture etc...
Link Posted: 5/18/2017 6:12:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Thank you all for the replies
will have many more questions as I progress as an AR 15 lover
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top