Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/12/2017 11:39:52 PM EDT
Hi.
I have a Stag Arms 3L that I have not been able to sell to fund another Daniel Defense.
Since I already have a DDM4, I thought maybe I should just keep the Stag Arms AR and convert the handguard to free floating rail system.
So from what I have gathered, it looks like...

1.  The ring will be unscrewed with an AR wrench.
2.  I will have to replace the gas block with low profile type.
3.  The gas tube can be reused.
4.  And everything will be screwed on. I am planning to buy the DDM4 12" rail.

Do I have the right information?

I do not have a work bench with a vise.  It should be still doable, right?

Am I missing any important step?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 5/12/2017 11:46:16 PM EDT
[#1]
You need a bench with a vise. Unless you have a friend with very strong arms and grip.
Do not see how you could get the typical barrel nut off without one. Find someone in your hometown forum nearby that has the proper tools for the job. You will thank me later
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 12:33:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You need a bench with a vise. Unless you have a friend with very strong arms and grip.
Do not see how you could get the typical barrel nut off without one. Find someone in your hometown forum nearby that has the proper tools for the job. You will thank me later
View Quote
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 1:27:25 AM EDT
[#3]
You absolutely are going to need the proper tools (which include a vise) to uninstall/reinstall barrel nuts.  You'll also need some way to support the upper in the vise as well as support the barrel for muzzle device install/removal.

If you don't want to spend the cash on the tools, either find someone local who has them or ship it off to ADCO and let them do it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 4:30:01 AM EDT
[#4]
As others have said, you are going to need a vise and a something to support the upper such a Magpul BEV block, reaction rod or upper clam shell. You are also going to need a bunch of punches for the various roll pins
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 5:57:01 AM EDT
[#5]
Definitely wait till you have the right tools or you risk borking your upper receiver at the very least.  Why not choose one of the rails that doesn't require doing anything to the Delta ring?  I put a Daniel Defense Omega rail on my Beowulf making a free float rail and it didn't require any modifications.  I just removed the factory handguards, pulled the Delta Ring back, popped the rails in and tightened them according to the directions.  Super easy and gives you the free float rail you want.  Plus it's super strong, which was prerequisite for this gun due to the recoil and use of the gun.  I don't think they offer an Omega in the length you want but look around DD may have another rail with the same mounting system.  Just an option.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 10:35:27 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Definitely wait till you have the right tools or you risk borking your upper receiver at the very least.  Why not choose one of the rails that doesn't require doing anything to the Delta ring?  I put a Daniel Defense Omega rail on my Beowulf making a free float rail and it didn't require any modifications.  I just removed the factory handguards, pulled the Delta Ring back, popped the rails in and tightened them according to the directions.  Super easy and gives you the free float rail you want.  Plus it's super strong, which was prerequisite for this gun due to the recoil and use of the gun.  I don't think they offer an Omega in the length you want but look around DD may have another rail with the same mounting system.  Just an option.
View Quote
Running the same rail over here, for the same reasons - needed to mount to a standard barrel nut, ended up wanting free float. They don't make more with that mounting system that I could find, but Centurion C4 series does it in a 12in, which is what I'd recommend if you don't want to get the tools, or they make a shorter one to avoid the hassle of removing and replacing the gas block.
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 10:53:44 AM EDT
[#7]
Just cut/remove the delta ring and spring and go with LPGB. I recommend Midwest Industries, they lock up solid, install in minutes, and have great customer service (lifetime). I have a couple 12.5" MCTAR-22G2's, no issues.

www.midwestindustriesinc.com/category-s/327.htm

Or keep the FSB, go FF and get the MCTAR-20XG2
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 1:57:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

1.  The ring will be unscrewed with an AR wrench.
2.  I will have to replace the gas block with low profile type.
3.  The gas tube can be reused.
4.  And everything will be screwed on. I am planning to buy the DDM4 12" rail.
View Quote

Just a suggestion:

https://armalite.com/shop/m-15-12-3-gun-handguard/

4 ounces lighter.  The the money saved you can buy a reaction rod, and heck probably a vise too but I would recommend finding someone local who will let you use your work bench.

I have two of the armalite handguards and they are rock solid.  Nothing wrong with the DD, and I'm not knocking them.  They are high quality.

And if you don't want keymod then obviously the Armalite is off the table.
Link Posted: 5/16/2017 2:31:32 PM EDT
[#9]
Just get an Omega rail.  It won't be as long, but it will be a lot less work.
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top