Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 5/5/2017 3:27:46 PM EDT
How hard is it to change the receiver of an upper? I have an carry handle upper and want to change it to a flat top. Any good videos?
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 3:30:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Pop out the take down pins, remove old upper, put on the new upper, pop in the take out pins.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 3:31:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pop out the take down pins, remove old upper, put on the new upper, pop in the take out pins.
View Quote
That's a complete upper receiver, not an upper receiver.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 3:32:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 5:10:10 PM EDT
[#4]
You need a barrel nut wrench, whatever screw, hex, or torx driver to remove your handguard, possibly a wrench to remove your muzzle brake/flash hider if it's in the way of the handguard coming off.  You need a fixture to hold the upper receiver while you're putting on / taking off the handguard, as well as soft jaws for your barrel when installing/removing the brake or flash hider, and you need a vice to hold it all in.  You might also need a heat gun to melt any loctite if loctite was used to install any of the above.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 5:23:51 PM EDT
[#5]
YouTube
easy as pie
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 5:52:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Very easy. Don't forget the upper receiver vice block. On a bad day, done right takes 45 minutes. Get a good punch set, if you're removing the gas block or swapping the FA.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 5:58:05 PM EDT
[#7]
easy

once you do it you will want to build ARs
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 12:40:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
easy

once you do it you will want to build ARs
View Quote
Agreed.  I should have started smoking crack instead of building ARs.  It would have been cheaper and less addictive.
Link Posted: 5/6/2017 5:37:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Along with the tools mentioned above, I would also buy a Magpul BEV block.  It fits into the barrel extension so the stress is on the extension rather than the upper when you torque it down.  It prevents damage to the receiver that creates all kinds of issues with the BCG and accuracy.
Link Posted: 5/7/2017 12:42:56 AM EDT
[#10]
I did this once and unless the barrel is a national match or something else special, by the time you get all the tools it is wau cheaper to buy a new upper. Plus you will need a new front sight post because the front tower is not F marked.

In hind sight it got me into building ARs and my wallet has never been the same. I just blew $700 this weekend buying free float rails.
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top