Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/27/2017 11:18:57 PM EDT
Hoping to get or build one as a college graduation gift to myself.

Budget is $800 (separate budget for optic don't worry). Anymore than that and the physiological phenomenon of "huh this almost looks too cool to shoot, and gosh darnit I spent $900-$1k+ on this thing
and I don't want to scratch or ding it" takes over. Anything less than that and I'll gladly use the heck out of it without hesitation. Which I figure is the type of confidence I'm guessing I'll want to have if I am ever forced to use it.

Desired use is everything from SHTF, Home Def., to range time (about 2400 rds a year).

AR's I have been looking at buying:
- Colt Expanse
- Springfield Saint not anymore backstabbers
- M&P 15 Sport II (w/Magpul MOE, Mlock)
- Ruger AR 556

What I don't know is the technical differences between these rifles, or mil-spec vs proprietary parts when trying to interchange parts.

AR parts I've been looking to make a build off:

- Stripped Anderson Lower, heard these came from the same forged block supplier as Colts before being machined.
- Magpul lower parts kit from PSA
- This upper assembly Complete Upper
- Some flip up/down sights from Troy or Midwest industries.

Already got a decent supply of some metal mags and Pmags from pops.

I have no experience building an AR, but plan on eventually just building them myself. At the same time I like supporting our firearms companies and local gun stores.
So I have no problem out right buying my first either.

If you have a better idea of a build than what I have listed, or another suggestion for a factory rifle go for it. I'm not chained to any
one brand or type of build.

Annnndddd go!

Update 5/13/2017:

Was able to pick up a forged aluminium Anderson stripped lower at a gunshow for $69 after tax. (cheaper than added $25 FFL transfer fee that's pretty standard around where I live).
Now I am looking for some lower parts kits to finish it out. Any tips on who to avoid/who makes good (and cheap preferably but not required to be cheap) kits? I'd prefer one with stock included,
but not a deal breaker if its not included.

For the upper just decided to go with the 16" Mid-length M-Lok complete upper from PSA.

Thanks for all your help!
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 12:06:08 AM EDT
[#1]
The closest I ever came to buying a complete rifle was my very first RRA barreled upper on a lower that I built.  And that is probably a good compromise: buying an assembled upper and assembling your own lower.  You can do it without specialized tools and it gives you a taste of building.  

That said, everything else I've done since that first rifle has been built from scratch.  Building is half the fun.  You can select the exact parts you want without having to compromise where you don't want to.  It is a buyer's market right now and for $800 you can build a very good quality AR.

If you get into building these are some great companies to deal with:

http://www.righttobear.com/
https://www.aimsurplus.com/catalog.aspx?groupid=571&name=AR15%2fM16+Accessories+%26+Parts
http://www.primaryarms.com/
http://faxonfirearms.com/
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 2:09:23 AM EDT
[#2]
AERO Middy for $559.99 shipped from Brownells

or

Add furniture and rail to AERO Middy OEM $529.99 shipped from Brownells

Spend the difference on an optic, rear sight, white light, sling.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 2:13:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Colt AR6720: $820 from Forum Sponsor Arms Unlimited...

Shop around & I've seen it for $779: Non Sponsor...
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 2:18:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Built my first, an 80% lower. The only thing assembled for me was the front sight post on the barrel. Did everything else. Great learning experience. It was easier than I thought, but you will learn your weapon inside and out if you build it.

So yeah. That's my vote. Build it.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 11:05:33 AM EDT
[#5]
I think you need to tighten down a few of your requirements before you do anything.

Are you looking for a mid-length or carbine gas? Do you want fixed FSB or free-float rail to hang accessories? Can you live with stock furniture or would you upgrade quickly? The choices you provided all have different combinations of those options.

I first looked at the S&W, Ruger and Saint as well but ultimately decided 1) I wanted a mid-length gas system, and 2) I didnt want a fixed FSB. So narrowed my options significantly and led me to build exactly what I wanted without having to spend $ on stuff that would ultimately get thrown in the parts bin. Additional bonus - building is half the fun and a great learning experience.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 11:31:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Save your money on the optic and buy a better rifle.  You'll do better in the long run if you get very familiar with iron sights, and you'll have a better rifle to eventually add an optic to.

FWIW, none of my ARs have optics.

If I were starting all over again, I would probably get the Spike's LE middy with a CHF barrel.  If I were building my first again, I would probably start with a PSA CHF kit and whatever lower I could find locally, and a ALG QMS trigger.

If you go the complete upper and stripped lower route, you won't be overwhelmed building.  Uppers aren't necessarily overwhelming to build, but you can put a lower together in your lap with basic tools.

Don't buy an expanse.  I haven't read anything good about them.
Link Posted: 4/28/2017 1:12:18 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 10:27:15 AM EDT
[#8]
To each there own, build as you like. Just use quality parts the first time around. I bought my first AR it was a stock Volcan M4, crap gun but it worked fi e and I learned off it what I liked. Built my second  rifle off a stripped Spikes lower and PSA 16" mid upper. I love it and got a carbine type battle rifle configured the way i want it. Now im doing a SPR or RECCE complete build, just need funds to start the upper and decide on 18 or 16" barrel.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 10:45:38 AM EDT
[#9]
PSA kit or Colt OEM. My opinion. Opposite ends, build/buy.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 10:33:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Right now, the prices are so low on complete rifles (also complete uppers and lowers) that I'd say buy your first. Keep it basic, shoot it, learn it, and you'll ultimately figure out how you'd want your ideal rifle set up.

As far as brands, you've got a lot of choices within that $800 budget. With the exception of something like a KAC (out of your price range anyways), there isn't really anything proprietary about the other options. You can take two rifles from just about any brand, and swap parts between them one by one. Depending who and where you ask, people will get into the minutiae of all things mil-spec. It'll make your head spin, and is a rabbit hole I would not recommend going down.

Just about every manufacturer out there makes a perfectly serviceable AR. It's not rocket science. By that same token, every manufacturer out there can put out a dud. So, whatever you go with, inspect it and run it. No rifle is gtg until you verify its gtg. After that, a little bit of basic care and maintenance is all it takes to keep a rifle serviceable for years.

As far as brands, if you're avoiding Springfield, you may want to avoid Colt as well. Probably Ruger too. While their offenses might be a little older, the 2A community has spent years rolling back garbage they supported. The AWB. Import Ban. Magazine restrictions. Refusing to sell to civilians; then later selling to civilians but pretty much ignoring them in favor of government contracts. In a basic sense, Springfield and RRA only screwed/abandoned the people of Illinois. The others I mentioned set 2nd Amendment rights back for the whole community with their transgressions.

Just my .02¢
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 11:05:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Get an assembled PSA upper, build up your stripped lower, and shoot the shit out of it. You'll end up hacking up your first rifle anyway with different handguards & misc hardware. Get the process started and go from there.
Link Posted: 5/3/2017 12:06:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Save another 400.00 and go BCM Recce with KMR-A
Link Posted: 5/13/2017 7:39:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Update 5/13/2017:

Was able to pick up a forged aluminium Anderson stripped lower at a gunshow for $69 after tax. (cheaper than added $25 FFL transfer fee that's pretty standard around where I live).
Now I am looking for some lower parts kits to finish it out. Any tips on who to avoid/who makes good (and cheap preferably but not required to be cheap) kits? I'd prefer one with stock included,
but not a deal breaker if its not included.

For the upper just decided to go with the 16" Mid-length M-Lok complete upper from PSA.

Thanks for all your help!
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 5:38:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 3:50:56 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm building one too. I  just about have the whole bottom half completed. I really like Stike industries stuff for the butt and buttons n levers.  
I'm soooo itchy to order the barrel and handguard already!

what is image hosting
Link Posted: 5/28/2017 11:47:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm building one too. I  just about have the whole bottom half completed. I really like Stike industries stuff for the butt and buttons n levers.  
I'm soooo itchy to order the barrel and handguard already!
http://preview.ibb.co/eWNcav/IMG_20170525_182236.jpg
http://preview.ibb.co/nigENa/IMG_20170527_164425.jpg
http://preview.ibb.co/mqD5TF/IMG_20170527_194114.jpg
what is image hosting
View Quote
Impending doom.....
Link Posted: 5/31/2017 4:02:19 PM EDT
[#17]
I think you probably already have an idea in your head... I say go with that. Build it, Shoot it and if there is something you want to change, Don't! Build another one with the changes you want. Then do the same with that one.

Also, Once you've built a couple or more 'toys' you can delve into the 'Retro' stuff... Finding parts for an awesome to you retro is fun!

Bottom line? Build what you have in your head and have fun. Spend a little money on ammo as well, A black rifle is no fun without it.
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top