Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 6/6/2017 12:37:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 4:27:50 AM EDT
[#2]
My go-to AR has a pinned FSB and drop-in hand guard, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

For a SHTF type of setup, there would be no advantage to a FF rail really.

With standard iron sights or low magnification prism, fast shots to 300 yards are easy and accurate.

A scoped rifle with higher magnification would benefit from a FF setup for sure, I have one for longer range shots from a bipod and the rail is great for that...though I can also pop the bipod onto my Magpul hand guard and hit longer shots with my M4 type carbine too.

It just depends on what you prefer, but I would always grab my trusty 14.5" / FSB setup first.
Link Posted: 6/8/2017 8:01:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
My go-to AR has a pinned FSB and drop-in hand guard, and I wouldn't have it any other way.

For a SHTF type of setup, there would be no advantage to a FF rail really.

With standard iron sights or low magnification prism, fast shots to 300 yards are easy and accurate.

A scoped rifle with higher magnification would benefit from a FF setup for sure, I have one for longer range shots from a bipod and the rail is great for that...though I can also pop the bipod onto my Magpul hand guard and hit longer shots with my M4 type carbine too.

It just depends on what you prefer, but I would always grab my trusty 14.5" / FSB setup first.
View Quote
My 16" is a similar set up. FSB and I dropped in a Troy Delta hand guard and run a PA 3x prism scope. It is accurate enough to hit 12"-18" steel out to 500 yds, so for a SHTF gun, I trust my life with it.  If I was building a competition gun or a specialized sniper type gun, of course I would go FF.  For a SHTF fighting carbine, whats the point really.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 1:41:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Howdy,

new to AR's and besides them looking kinda cool and generally having multiple attachment points what is so cool about free floating hand guards?

Now I may be wrong but I think the only attached  between upper and barrel and do not touch anywhere else... right?

Seems like a lot of hassle to install especially for newbies like me.

I have opted for a DD Omega 7 that does not require modifications to the AR. SHould be plenty good for me but has me curious as to advantages the free float must have as most customs utilize this.

Thanks,

Whatrix
View Quote

I opted for a BCM KMR. It didn't require modifications to the gun either. It bolts right on with an untimed barrel nut. I don't want a heavier, fatter, shorter rail that requires the use of a timed barrel nut. Why would I limit myself to less space, more weight, and a crappier hold on my forend? Why would I want to use a timed barrel nut? The Omega was a great idea for a fixed FSB gun upgrade 10 years ago.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 1:49:59 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Can you support with objective, peer-reviewed published data that the image brightness, resolution or contrast of an object viewed in a focal plane of say, 100 yards away is measurably degraded by a FSB several inches ahead of the objective lens and in a completely different focal plane?
View Quote
Please tell me you are not this stupid...

So it's like a daylight filter on a PVS14 that allows a perfect image to pass in a different focal plane BUT HAS NO EFFECT on brightness in your world?

A FSB may have a small limitation in light transmission, but it most certainly exists... THERE IS A NON TRANSPARENT OBJECT IN FRONT OF THE OBJECTIVE!

Does that somehow escape your comprehension?

I can't agree it alters image quality for a certainty... and figure it probably does not, but light transmission reduction is not even remotely debateable.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 1:53:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Howdy,

new to AR's and besides them looking kinda cool and generally having multiple attachment points what is so cool about free floating hand guards?

Seems like a lot of hassle to install especially for newbies like me.

I have opted for a DD Omega 7 that does not require modifications to the AR.

Whatrix
View Quote

You mean the hassle of turning a wrench a quarter turn?

Or is it the use of an Allen key to tighten up two bolts that is the "hassle" part?

I don't get it.
Link Posted: 6/15/2017 8:35:38 PM EDT
[#7]
if you're concerned about the cost-benefit(s) of a free-floating barrel, look further into it

you said you're new to this.  learn more and shoot more, you'll find what works for you
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 8:14:09 AM EDT
[#8]
I changed my uncles AR forend from FSB/Two Piece to a Free Float/GB setup.  His groupings shrunk considerably.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 8:22:31 AM EDT
[#9]
A better question is why wouldn't you use free float hand guards?  They provide more modularity, in many cases are just as or lighter than a comparable non-FF setup.  They can provide more real estate for your hand, especially on shorter barreled rifles.  

The only real down-side is that they cost a tad (and I mean just a tad) more $ than standard hand guards.......but the benefits vastly out weigh the costs.

And barrel harmonics is a thing.  Precision is the ability to repeat results with the same outcome.  The more consistently a barrel vibrates, the more precise it will be capable of being.

I have one AR that isn't free floated and it's my beater truck gun.  It will get a better setup when I get around to it.  Which isn't likely to happen, and it's accurate enough for that use.
Link Posted: 7/3/2017 11:08:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

So it's like a daylight filter on a PVS14 that allows a perfect image to pass in a different focal plane BUT HAS NO EFFECT on brightness in your world?

A FSB may have a small limitation in light transmission, but it most certainly exists... THERE IS A NON TRANSPARENT OBJECT IN FRONT OF THE OBJECTIVE!

I can't agree it alters image quality for a certainty... and figure it probably does not, but light transmission reduction is not even remotely debateable.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Can you support with objective, peer-reviewed published data that the image brightness, resolution or contrast of an object viewed in a focal plane of say, 100 yards away is measurably degraded by a FSB several inches ahead of the objective lens and in a completely different focal plane?

My point is that it is so minimal as to not be measurable.  It is out of focus, not visible, and the the remaining photon stream hitting your retina and activating rods and cones is not diminished enough to alter perceptable brightness.  Plainly stated, it is a theoretical reduction, true in fact, but so minute as not real world relevant.
Link Posted: 7/7/2017 7:26:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Depends on the purpose of the AR.

This is especially evident on a rifle with a longer barrel and a non-FF rail.

If you're a noob, a drop in handguard/rail will likely suit you just fine.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top