Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/15/2017 11:32:14 PM EDT
My department only gives me few options on ammo I can choose. I carre 16" barrel with a 1:7 twist. I work in an urban area.
These are my options:

55 grain full metal jacket manufactured by one of the following:
(1)Remington/UMC
(2)Winchester
(3)Federal/Lake City Arsenal
(4)Hornady
(5)CCI-Speer.
b.64 grain Winchester Power-Point

I was using 64gr winchester but those are starting to get hard to find.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 12:19:29 AM EDT
[#1]
I can't think of one being better than the other. Whichever is cheaper for you since they are too stupid to issue you a hollow point.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 12:25:20 AM EDT
[#2]
Steer away from Winchester.  QC issues
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 12:35:57 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Really? All of Winchester ammo or just rifle ammo?
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 12:39:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote
Add Federal and Remington to that list too.

Remington ammo is poor in general and Federal has had a few kabooms lately, and they always try to blame everyone else.

In one case, BCM actually replaced the upper IIRC, because Federal wouldn't cover their own mistake.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 1:18:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Limiting you to what appears to be 55gr FMJ is just ignorant.

Bonded softpoint barrier blind loads would be the better option if you would anticipate anti-vehicle use.

A fragmenting type OTM load would be better for unobstucted shots, to limit overpenetration. Either Hornady 75gr OTM's or Sierra 77gr TMK (not SMK) are both good options.

If limited to "55gr" without a specific load, I would look for the 55gr Barnes bullet. Maybe one of those manufacturers loads it.

If nothing else there are some basic 55gr softpoints on the market.

The Federal 62gr Fusion MSR load would be a good alternative to the Power Point.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 1:28:27 AM EDT
[#6]
That list really sucks for options.  If you can only pick from that list then I'd go

Federal/Lake City Arsenal 55GR/5.56

Or

Hornady 55GR/55.6/5.56/5.56   ( Only if NO poly tip )

And I would stay the heck away from Winchester.  

If your department allows for other options later on there are way better options out there.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 2:38:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Is the 55gr Speer Gold Dot an option?
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 2:44:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Tie between LC and Hornady.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 2:52:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
View Quote
Yes
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 2:53:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Yes the list sucks unfortunately! It's a liberal city and they really hate the carbine program. Our range guys try hard to get better options but at this time it's all we have.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 2:58:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
It's a liberal city and they really hate the carbine program.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
It's a liberal city and they really hate the carbine program.
Then why the f&*k do they want to mandate that you use the least safe ammo?

Do you carry 9mm FMJ also?

Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes
That sounds like an option, better than any of the FMJ's.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 11:27:47 AM EDT
[#12]
We started out with 55 gr eagle. We now issue 3 mags of Win Ranger 64gr...

That being said, my additional spare mags are all eagle because it works, the Ranger stuff is not easy to find. If I ever need to dip into those extra mags, something big is happening, it ain't going to be an issue.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 11:31:31 AM EDT
[#13]
A magazine or two of the Winchester power points or Gold Dots. The rest I would make LC M193.

Mark the mags with the soft points with a paint pen. Options aren't a bad thing.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 10:34:01 PM EDT
[#14]
terrain is they key to this

in urban areas where cover is thick & vehicle threats are common I'd use 68 grain green tip

in rural areas where distances are longer I'd use a 72 grain match hollow point.

I only use55 grain for shooting steel, but that's just me.
Link Posted: 4/18/2017 10:45:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Bonded softpoint barrier blind loads would be the better option if you would anticipate anti-vehicle use.

A fragmenting type OTM load would be better for unobstucted shots, to limit overpenetration. Either Hornady 75gr OTM's or Sierra 77gr TMK (not SMK) are both good options.

If limited to "55gr" without a specific load, I would look for the 55gr Barnes bullet. Maybe one of those manufacturers loads it.

The Federal 62gr Fusion MSR load would be a good alternative to the Power Point.
View Quote
You sound like someone who does not actually shoot these rounds. Nothing mentioned here can beat the Hornady black in 75grain but the 55gr hornady is close.
Link Posted: 4/19/2017 3:58:15 AM EDT
[#16]
They are limiting you to FMJs?  Is the Speer load a barrier blind soft point or FMJ? FWIW I'd prefer something like 75 gr TAP or a 75 gr Gold Dot. 

I see I am late to the party. Yes 55 gr Gold Dot. 
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:06:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Federal
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 11:53:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Is this poll restricted to American ammo? The Serbs and Israelis (PPU & IMI) can take down bad guys with the best of them...
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 9:46:15 AM EDT
[#19]
OP needs to use a bonded core or monolithic barrier blind load.  If not on the approved list, he and his colleagues need to press for approval of FBI barrier blind loads.  Speer Gold Dot is a good one.  I prefer Barnes TSX 62 grain.  These are too expensive to train with, but nothing is too expensive to fill a mag or two when lives are on the line.
Link Posted: 4/21/2017 11:02:08 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote
If you MUST chose one of what you have listed, the 55 gr. Hornady
Link Posted: 4/24/2017 9:01:44 PM EDT
[#21]
64gr Speer Gold Dot is what I am issued, and I don't have any complaints there. I'd go with the 64gr Winchester Powerpoint, take advantage of the faster twist rate.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 1:33:52 AM EDT
[#22]
The 55g Speer Gold Dot is an awesome performer but the 64g may be better suited againts barriers like auto glass, doors. I love Hornady 53 and 55g Vmax have devastating results, expand and fragment quickly.  However good old 55g M193 will perform well and do its roll as intended. It served our military and killed with effectiveness on the battlefield for 20 years. You will get better accuracy, more wounding with less projectile over penatration with the Hornady or Speer.
Link Posted: 5/2/2017 9:30:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
You do realize that people that decide ammo choice no little to nothing about ammo
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top