Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/13/2017 7:19:06 PM EDT
Just finished a KISS mid-length build for home defense. Went with BA QPQ barrel and Apoc QPQ BCG on Anderson receivers, gun function testing has been completed with zero issues. I installed a MI picatinny mount on the front sight and installed a Streamlight ProTac 350 L light. I'm pretty sure I want to install tritium sights and don't wish to put any other optics on right now. I'm not really sure I want a sling to possibly get snagged at a real bad moment during CQB. I'm using this gun to get my wife acclimated to the AR platform so everything has to stay "basic" until she gets cozy. What else am I needing ?

TIA Pete
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 7:39:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Is the BA barrel pencil or LW profile?  
BTW, a sling for a rifle is like a holster for a pistol.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 9:12:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
BTW, a sling for a rifle is like a holster for a pistol.
View Quote
True however if it's for home defense... My home defense pistol doesn't reside in a holster. And my shotgun doesn't wear a sling.

To the OP, depending on where you live I would look into ammo that has limited penetration. For me that's important. At one end of my house is the master bedroom and at the other end is the kids rooms so that why I use a shotgun with bird shot.
Link Posted: 4/13/2017 11:49:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

True however if it's for home defense... My home defense pistol doesn't reside in a holster. And my shotgun doesn't wear a sling.

To the OP, depending on where you live I would look into ammo that has limited penetration. For me that's important. At one end of my house is the master bedroom and at the other end is the kids rooms so that why I use a shotgun with bird shot.
View Quote
I know we've done this topic a hundred times, but anything that is going to be reliable enough to physically stop an intruder is going to penetrate drywall.  Period.  Of course, it's your decision, but birdshot can not be relied upon to physically incapacitate a person, even at close range.

OP, since you're using this rifle to get your wife familiarized with the platform and get her comfortable, I would seriously consider using an optic.  Removing some of the intricacies of iron sight technique (sight alignment/sight picture/etc) from early training and letting her focus on the other fundamentals of marksmanship should speed up her progress.  It also helps that an RDS is perfect for HD.  As far as the sling goes, it's added retention should you ever end up hands on with an intruder.  It also allows you to keep the weapon on your person should you have to use your hands for other tasks.  

Your choice in the end.  Just something to consider.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 12:20:01 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Just finished a KISS mid-length build for home defense. Went with BA QPQ barrel and Apoc QPQ BCG on Anderson receivers, gun function testing has been completed with zero issues. I installed a MI picatinny mount on the front sight and installed a Streamlight ProTac 350 L light. I'm pretty sure I want to install tritium sights and don't wish to put any other optics on right now. I'm not really sure I want a sling to possibly get snagged at a real bad moment during CQB. I'm using this gun to get my wife acclimated to the AR platform so everything has to stay "basic" until she gets cozy. What else am I needing ?

TIA Pete
View Quote

Tritium sights are not visible after the first shot due to muzzle flash and not visible at all if you activate the weapon light.  I have them on my Glock and recognize the limitation.  

Get a small lightweight duty grade red dot like Leupold Deltapoint Pro mini reflex,  Trijicon MRO or Aimpoint micro.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 12:31:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Mine is a suppressed 4.5" 9mm, all it wears is the can, a light, and an eotech. No irons, nothing fancy. Nothing to snag, no muzzle flash, no ringing ear from shooting indoors.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 1:36:29 AM EDT
[#6]
dupe, sorry!
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 1:36:39 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:To the OP, depending on where you live I would look into ammo that has limited penetration. For me that's important. At one end of my house is the master bedroom and at the other end is the kids rooms so that why I use a shotgun with bird shot.
View Quote
aim for the face, and don't miss.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 1:31:27 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

aim for the face, and don't miss.
View Quote
It's a 10 gauge 3 1/2" magnum so... I don't have to kill the intruder with the first shot.
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 2:57:52 PM EDT
[#9]
I believe having a sling is important in a home defence rifle.   It keeps the rifle attached to you so it can't be taken away. If you were to trip and fall, your rifle could go flying where you don't want it to go.   Iron sights with a good white light is all that's needed. You have to remember if you have to engage a threat in your house, it will be 25ft or less more than likely.  point and shoot distance.  my.02
Link Posted: 4/14/2017 11:53:11 PM EDT
[#10]
The 870 Tactical (w light/no sling) is on MY side of the bed LOL. She's petite so I wanted a low-recoil long gun she can handle effectively on very short notice w/o struggling to power up a RDS. Chambering the gun and activating the light may be all she has time for unfortunately. I did just run across Blitzkreig's replacement front sight pins and may go with one since they're cheap and seem to stand out pretty good. Thanks Guys !
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 1:16:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
The 870 Tactical (w light/no sling) is on MY side of the bed LOL. She's petite so I wanted a low-recoil long gun she can handle effectively on very short notice w/o struggling to power up a RDS. Chambering the gun and activating the light may be all she has time for unfortunately. I did just run across Blitzkreig's replacement front sight pins and may go with one since they're cheap and seem to stand out pretty good. Thanks Guys !
View Quote
Get a PRO and leave it on 24/7.  No need to turn anything on should you need it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 2:04:12 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
Oh for frak's sake...

Birdshot is less-lethal, and no substitute for buckshot, slugs, or rifle rounds. #4 buck would be the minimum I'd use, or a rifle using ammunition that fragments consistently. Anything that will stop a perp reliably will go through drywall; your best bet is something that will not overpenetrate after fragmenting/expanding.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 7:40:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Oh for frak's sake...

Birdshot is less-lethal, and no substitute for buckshot, slugs, or rifle rounds. #4 buck would be the minimum I'd use, or a rifle using ammunition that fragments consistently. Anything that will stop a perp reliably will go through drywall; your best bet is something that will not overpenetrate after fragmenting/expanding.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Oh for frak's sake...

I share your concern about birdshot for HD, but that poster has his children's bedroom directly behind where he is likely to encounter the intruder(s).  This presents a real challenge.  I consider the FBI's position on buckshot to be reasonable and reliable - nothing smaller than #1 buck.  I use Federal Premium Flite Control 00B with its super tight pattern of all 9 pellets in a 3" circle at HD distances.  Heck, they stay in a 12" circle at 50 yards!  

But, where family will be behind the intruder another solution is needed.  don't know what it might be.  Perhaps highly frangible handgun ammo or similar ammo for the shotgun, frangible but larger than birdshot, if such exists?
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 7:54:11 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Get a PRO and leave it on 24/7.  No need to turn anything on should you need it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
A better but more expensive choice might be the always ready motion-activated duty grade Leupold Deltapoint Pro mini reflex. It weighs only one ounce, maybe 3 ounces with a Picatinny direct mount.  It can be mounted low, directly on the shotgun without a riser, and can be had with the 7.5 MOA triangle.  It activates when picked up remembering its last intensity setting, then shuts off after five minutes motionless.  I run one on my HD rifle.  No button to push or knob to fumble with.  Battery life is Aimpoint-like.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 8:14:59 AM EDT
[#15]
Wife and I only residents so anyone here after dark is an intruder, period. I have some 55gr V-Max ammo in the gun currently since it's supposed to tumble and frag more easily than FMJ with somewhat shallower penetration in both flesh and hard barriers. I run TAP reduced recoil BS in the scattergun for faster followup shots. I also have "heavier" rounds for AR and SG. I thought about the PRO optic but just don't want to spend that kind of $$ right now.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 8:31:05 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Wife and I only residents so anyone here after dark is an intruder, period. I have some 55gr V-Max ammo in the gun currently since it's supposed to tumble and frag more easily than FMJ with somewhat shallower penetration in both flesh and hard barriers. I run TAP reduced recoil BS in the scattergun for faster followup shots. I also have "heavier" rounds for AR and SG. I thought about the PRO optic but just don't want to spend that kind of $ right now.
View Quote
For your situation, with no concerns about over penetration, and looking for AR HD ammo, what you want is superior terminal ballistics.  That is the measure of effectiveness on producing maximum lethal outcome in any scenario you will be in.  As non-military we are not restricted by Hague Convention notions of FMJ or modified FMJ OTM ammo.

What you want is ammo with bullets designed for hunting larger game like deer or for civillian law enforcement.  My recommendation and what I use is 62 grain Barnes TSX.  It is monithic hollow point copper.  It rapidly expands to twice its caliber and retains 100% of its weight while being able to penetrate deeply and break bone.  I use it for deer hunting with "dead right there" effectiveness.  Another good choice is Speer Gold Dot bonded 64 grain LE ammo.  No varmint bullets for me for HD.  The shotgun has Flite Control 00B.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 9:03:03 AM EDT
[#17]
Have you considered reinforcing the wall in front of your kids?

There are plenty of ways to do that. AR500 steel plates, although that would be expensive and heavy. Personally, I would use sand bags inside the wall. Open up the wall with a box knife or coping saw. Put a narrow wooden table-like support down first to just below the top of the kids mattresses, and sand bags stacked another 2 feet above that. Got to keep the weight down so you don't damage your foundation.  Then reapply drywall, mud, tape, and paint. Kids are now safe unless you happen to shoot through a stud in between sandbags.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 4:06:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Backup ammo for the AR is 75gr OTM Hornady, Winchester PDX slug and buck Defender load in side sadlle on the SG. I also have 62gr green tip IMI  for the AR in several mags for "hard" targets (PMAG's color coded). I agree 100% that the heavy OTM bullets are more terminally effective BUT the V-Max tends to fragment quickly when it hits things, be they soft or hard. I doubt it will exit a human in one piece either frankly and should break up rapidly in common wall materials.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 4:34:59 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Backup ammo for the AR is 75gr OTM Hornady, Winchester PDX slug and buck Defender load in side sadlle on the SG. I also have 62gr green tip IMI  for the AR in several mags for "hard" targets (PMAG's color coded). I agree 100% that the heavy OTM bullets are more terminally effective BUT the V-Max tends to fragment quickly when it hits things, be they soft or hard. I doubt it will exit a human in one piece either frankly and should break up rapidly in common wall materials.
View Quote
I'm not recommending OTM or Greentip for HD unless you truly have loved ones behind the intruder.   Mil is shackled to it because of Hague Convention restrictions.  We and LE can do better:  Bonded core soft points like Speer Gold Dot and deer size hunting ammo like Barnes TSX in 52, 55, 62 or 70 grain expanding hollowpoint monolithic.

You want rapid expansion, deep penetration, no fragmentation,  bone breaking capability and an exit wound.  You want the same terminal ballistics performance as you would expect from a premium big game bullet.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 7:01:45 PM EDT
[#20]
reliability
a light
short-maneuverability
flash suppression
open sights
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 11:32:22 PM EDT
[#21]
for an HD gun

a good magazine and good ammo that is all.

how big is your house exactly

at the distances of an average  3000sq ft home a bayonet is more useful than a sling.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 5:53:14 AM EDT
[#22]
I love my ARs. But they are not my go to indoors.

2 shotguns/handgun here.

870 in 20 ga and 1100 in 12 ga. Both wear lights and the 20 is small and nimble.

If transitioning outdoors, there is an AR close enough.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:04:48 AM EDT
[#23]
FWIW,on my "go-to" self defense carbine I viewed the "must-have" features as this:

#1 reliability....while all my AR's are reliable, I actually put one of my highest round count ones into this role, because I KNOW it works 100% of the time, in any condition.

#2 A good light

#3 A good red dot with auto on feature and long battery life, just in case my wife or daughters have to use it. They know how to shoot, but it's much easier for them to "put dot on bad guy and shoot" rather than worry about sight picture, etc. The "always on" and or auto on feature was important because I don't need/want me or them to be fumbling with a dial/buttons.

#4 A good, and simple 2 point sling
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 4:40:18 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I believe having a sling is important in a home defence rifle.   It keeps the rifle attached to you so it can't be taken away. If you were to trip and fall, your rifle could go flying where you don't want it to go.   Iron sights with a good white light is all that's needed. You have to remember if you have to engage a threat in your house, it will be 25ft or less more than likely.  point and shoot distance.  my.02
View Quote
This.  Retention is critical.
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 4:50:32 AM EDT
[#25]
good advice in this thread,  the one thing I have learned and try to pass along is back stop and you must have a light on any hd firearm
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 4:50:33 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
View Quote
She's gonna have a better HD gun than you
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 4:54:43 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

2 shotguns/handgun here.

870 in 20 ga and 1100 in 12 ga. Both wear lights and the 20 is small and nimble.

View Quote
So you're going to change long guns in the middle of a home/property intruder situation?
Link Posted: 4/26/2017 6:10:14 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:11:20 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

So you're going to change long guns in the middle of a home/property intruder situation?
View Quote
If transitioning outdoors, yeah if possible. I have accessible ARs near exit points.

I'm sure as hell not wanting to trade shots outside in my shorts with 8 rounds. And it will take dire consequences for me to end up outdoors.

Indoors, middle of the night , wtf duties are shotgun/pistol work for me though.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:15:01 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

If transitioning outdoors, yeah if possible. I have accessible ARs near exit points.

I'm sure as hell not wanting to trade shots outside in my shorts with 8 rounds. And it will take dire consequences for me to end up outdoors.

Indoors, middle of the night , wtf duties are shotgun/pistol work for me though.
View Quote
You put loaded weapons near the entrances where someone could get at them?
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:22:45 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

You put loaded weapons near the entrances where someone could get at them?
View Quote
You would not even know they are there. Even if you were looking for firearms.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:24:11 AM EDT
[#32]
a  bayonet.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:29:37 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
a  bayonet.
View Quote
With a white light.^^
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 12:33:41 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
short barrel
iron sights
white light 
sling
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/5205/IMG-0620-174578.jpg
View Quote
That's similar to mine sort of. My barrel is 11.5" because my suppressor requires that length (although I'm leaning heavily towards the PWS CQB for HD because the suppressor is so damn heavy). I have a Sparc AR micro red dot, and a light on it, nothing else. I don't have any iron sights at all (free float) because even if the micro dot dies I can use the scope as a loose aiming ring.
Link Posted: 4/30/2017 6:33:50 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
FWIW,on my "go-to" self defense carbine I viewed the "must-have" features as this:

#1 reliability....while all my AR's are reliable, I actually put one of my highest round count ones into this role, because I KNOW it works 100% of the time, in any condition.

#2 A good light

#3 A good red dot with auto on feature and long battery life, just in case my wife or daughters have to use it. They know how to shoot, but it's much easier for them to "put dot on bad guy and shoot" rather than worry about sight picture, etc. The "always on" and or auto on feature was important because I don't need/want me or them to be fumbling with a dial/buttons.

View Quote
Yep-

Light, RDS, 2pt sling
Link Posted: 5/1/2017 8:22:23 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Yep-

Light, RDS, 2pt sling
View Quote
+1 to this. Aimpoint for the battery life. Leave it on all the time and don't sweat it.
Link Posted: 5/19/2017 4:40:18 PM EDT
[#37]
Light and red dot.
Gtg.
Link Posted: 5/21/2017 12:07:30 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

#2 A good light

View Quote
Yay finally someone with a clue.
Link Posted: 5/22/2017 12:35:14 AM EDT
[#39]
You're gonna go deaf if you have to squeeze off a 223 in your living room.  Griffin recce 5 mod 3 was the quietest 223 suppressor last time I checked.
Link Posted: 5/23/2017 10:57:28 PM EDT
[#40]
My must haves for a HD rifle.
Reliable, you must shoot this gun a lot. Feed it all types of ammo and make sure it functions 100% of the time. Last thing you want is a firearm that will not go bang when you really need it to.
At least 5 loaded mags with the ammo you choose for HD.
Ammo. A rifle makes a poor club, its not combat effective without ammo.
Optional add ons that some say you must have.
Good red dot optic, helps getting on target faster.
Weapon mounted light for night threats. Im on the fence on a light. 1 it gives away your position 2 you need to train with for it to be truely effective in a combat situation 3 if you turn it off and on your eyes will never adjust to eith the light or dark.
A sling. A must have for a SHTF/ combat/ duty rifle but a sling can get cautgh on things inside the home like door knobs ect when you least expect it.
My ARs have never been HD weapons. In the home I reach for a pistol. If I need to defend my home from outside threats or leave the house in a SHTF scenario thats what the ARs are for.
Link Posted: 5/24/2017 12:17:44 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
My must haves for a HD rifle. ...
At least 5 loaded mags with the ammo you choose for HD.
View Quote
Wtf home defense situation are you imagining?  If you squeeze off 150 rounds in your house, there's no way in hell you don't get prosecuted for something.

I don't think I've heard of a home defense situation in America where the homeowner used even 20 rounds.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 12:48:42 AM EDT
[#42]
Better to have and not need than need and not have imo. As I said my HD weapon is a pistol not an AR, at least against a break in type situation. SHTF mob or Korean invasion all those loaded mags will co e in handy.
Link Posted: 7/1/2017 11:34:26 PM EDT
[#43]
It's been said already:

Red dot (Aimpoint micro- turn it on, leave it on, changer battery every other year.)
Sling
(light only if you train with it) Any one that has had CQB training can tell you about not being familiar with washout and effectively hitting that switch on just for a second to see a snapshot of the room.
Link Posted: 7/2/2017 7:19:58 AM EDT
[#44]
a bayonet iS your HD PLAN DIFFERENT FROM  MINE
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 9:15:21 AM EDT
[#45]
I disagree with your decision to not mount a RDS or sling.

If she needs to learn shooting fundamentals (iron sights) that's cool...but you shouldn't issue her a defensive firearm until that's completed.  

Train your bride on the rifle, then mount a RDS, retrain, and then issue the gun to her.  Your family will be safer this way.

Slings are needed on all rifles.  It's not a handgun she can stuff in a robe pocket.

Don't want my "tone" to be read as lecturing or condescending.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 9:22:23 AM EDT
[#46]
Regarding what is needed for a KISS HD Carbine...

I read your intent as "LIGHTWEIGHT KISS"...

RDS...Aimpoint T1
BUIS...Troy rear left in the "down" position
2 PT Sling...Vickers or similar
WML...Something with momentary and full "on" like a Surefire M300 with click tail cap.

This will make your wife's rifle well rounded and fully capable.

Most important thing to buy is ammo and range time.  Giving her a KAC SR15 with a TNVC Gen3 NOD is no different than handing a child car keys.

Again, I don't want to sound like I'm preaching or being an arse.  I've been married a long time and know the commitment it takes from BOTH PARTIES to train a spouse to defend herself.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 9:25:11 AM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
It's been said already:

Red dot (Aimpoint micro- turn it on, leave it on, changer battery every other year.)
Sling
(light only if you train with it) Any one that has had CQB training can tell you about not being familiar with washout and effectively hitting that switch on just for a second to see a snapshot of the room.
View Quote
Key here is training.

You have to run dry drills to learn how to move, and live drills to learn how to operate the system.

E.g. Most people don't realize they'll wash their RDS dot if they use their standard setting with a WML indoors (unless you're one of those weirdos that ramps the dot to nuclear bright for some reason).
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 9:26:15 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Tritium sights are not visible after the first shot due to muzzle flash and not visible at all if you activate the weapon light.  I have them on my Glock and recognize the limitation.  

Get a small lightweight duty grade red dot like Leupold Deltapoint Pro mini reflex,  Trijicon MRO or Aimpoint micro.
View Quote
+1 tritium sights on a CARBINE are wasted money.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 9:29:25 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

2 shotguns/handgun here.

View Quote
I have a Benelli M2 Tactical with Surefire dedicated forend light, etc.  It just sits in my safe because I've not trained enough with a SG to feel comfortable using one in SD.  I shoot my AR all the time, and would chose it first.

Handguns for me are just the means to get back to my rifle.

Rifle first.  Rifle always.
Link Posted: 7/4/2017 9:32:43 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
You're gonna go deaf if you have to squeeze off a 223 in your living room.  Griffin recce 5 mod 3 was the quietest 223 suppressor last time I checked.
View Quote
We have HL Impact Sports hanging on the headboard.  This allows hearing protection while amplifying other sounds...like someone turning a door knob.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top