BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/10/2017 7:25:24 PM EDT
Hey guys. Been lurking here for a little bit. Just getting into AR's. I'm coming from the PCP air rifle scene. Have multiple PCP rifles in the AR style. Finally decided to step up. I wanted to build not buy so I could learn how everything functions so building from a kit I bought local. Del-Ton flat top/M4 16" heavy, 1x9, carbine gas system complete upper, Spikes stripped lower, Del-Ton LPK, all Magpul furniture, Magpul MBUS rear sight, M-LOK hand stop, couple of PMAGs and a few hundred rounds of ammo to get started. Strike J-COMP V2 brake, red dot from Ozark Armaments are ordered. Using a single point sling I already had.

My intent is a simple, straightforward AR for home defense. Looking forward to the build. Will post some pics. Please tell me if I'm about to foul something up on the build!!
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 7:25:58 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm in the body shop business so had to do a few little touches. Color filled the lower and just about everything else that had a recess. Painting a couple more things just because I can. Already have quite a few purple toys so continuing that theme.

The beginning...

Little House of Kolor Passion Purple color fill. I'm kinda liking that it is actually pretty suttle against the black.

Got the mag well vise block and roll pin starter punches today so just about got my AR assembly bench set up.

Already got the list started for AR #2 which will be a longer range, accuracy type build. This stuff is as bad as crack wrapped in bacon.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 7:44:57 PM EDT
[#2]
(edit) Became a team member so the photos showed.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 8:30:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I think it will look good with the color choice. In for pics of finished project. Oh and welcome aboard.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 8:30:06 PM EDT
[#4]
That looks like a very good no-frills M4, a good starting point if you're into the more modern side of the black rifle. Del-Ton makes a solid product for the price. That color fill looks kind of cool!
We'll all be happy to provide guidance as you progress with building your rifle. Good luck and happy building!
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 9:08:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think it will look good with the color choice. In for pics of finished project. Oh and welcome aboard.
View Quote
Thanks! I wanted to build a very basic starter rifle but couldn't resist doing a few things to personalize it. Hope to be sending lead down range by the weekend.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 9:12:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
That looks like a very good no-frills M4, a good starting point if you're into the more modern side of the black rifle. Del-Ton makes a solid product for the price. That color fill looks kind of cool!
We'll all be happy to provide guidance as you progress with building your rifle. Good luck and happy building!
View Quote
Thanks! Seemed like the Del-Ton stuff had good reviews and my local gun shop guy that I trust carries these kits all the time. I really wanted a simple, reliable but still cool looking build. Hopefully it'll be that. I'm sure I'll have a bunch of questions as I go along. I've been enjoying reading and checking out everyone's build here. Very cool site!
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 9:27:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Welcome!!

Your build looks really good!

I use play mats for all kinds of stuff, but I've never thought to put them on my work bench for lighter duty work. I'm going to shamelessly steal that!
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 9:41:13 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Welcome!!

I use play mats for all kinds of stuff, but I've never thought to put them on my work bench for lighter duty work. I'm going to shamelessly steal that!
View Quote
Thanks! Those are the interlocking floor mats from Harbor Freight. Stupid cheap. Great for assembly work to protect whatever is being assembled. I have 2/3 of my home shop floor covered with them. Way nicer to stand/work on than concrete and edge tools don't get totally jacked when I drop them.

Link at HF...

Anti-Fatigue mats

I started with just a few and added from there. Just about have the whole woodworking/assembly side of my shop covered now.

Link Posted: 4/10/2017 10:01:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Thanks! Those are the interlocking floor mats from Harbor Freight. Stupid cheap. Great for assembly work to protect whatever is being assembled. I have 2/3 of my home shop floor covered with them. Way nicer to stand/work on than concrete and edge tools don't get totally jacked when I drop them.

Link at HF...

Anti-Fatigue mats

I started with just a few and added from there. Just about have the whole woodworking/assembly side of my shop covered now.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/6/5636/24115502945_23283205d6_c.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/6/5794/24114895315_30a579dd35_c.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/6/5794/24032294011_4aa1c8722b_c.jpg
View Quote
Ok now you're just showing off. I have 8 of them under my weight bench.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 10:25:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Ok now you're just showing off. I have 8 of them under my weight bench.
View Quote
Guilty as charged.
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 10:42:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Looking good, OP! My first is a Spike's at the core, and looked almost exactly like yours when I got it, except mine is a midlength instead of carbine, and I have the Punisher lower Careful, though, once you build one, you won't be able to stop building more!
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 12:44:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Looking good, OP! My first is a Spike's at the core, and looked almost exactly like yours when I got it, except mine is a midlength instead of carbine, and I have the Punisher lower Careful, though, once you build one, you won't be able to stop building more!
View Quote
This I have noticed. #2 will not be far behind.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 8:37:57 AM EDT
[#13]
For home defense, swap the comp for a bird cage.

I wouldn't ever want to shoot a comp indoors, 5.56 is bad enough as it is.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 8:43:30 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote
This.  Also u need a light.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 8:46:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
Swap the bird cage for a suppressor.  Save your hearing and impress the ladies at the range.

Also, you need a sling in addition to a light. Consider buying this one:  https://www.blueforcegear.com/vickers-sling
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 8:52:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

This.  Also u need a light.
View Quote
You do need a light for sure. I use a magpul moe Scout Mount on my rifle with moe handguards.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 9:42:04 AM EDT
[#17]
I see you have an obsession with attention to detail. Well done on your rifle, and your garage is nice too.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 10:07:57 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

You do need a light for sure. I use a magpul moe Scout Mount on my rifle with moe handguards.
View Quote
I was thinking about the Elzetta mount. I like the idea of the light being under and in line with the barrel. Thoughts on this one?

Elzetta light mount

Link Posted: 4/11/2017 10:11:32 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I see you have an obsession with attention to detail. Well done on your rifle, and your garage is nice too.
View Quote
Obsession with attention to detail. Yes. I'm pretty OCD about my shop and my projects. Some days a blessing. Some days a curse.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 11:08:50 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I was thinking about the Elzetta mount. I like the idea of the light being under and in line with the barrel. Thoughts on this one?

Elzetta light mount

https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81FRTO2zI4L._SL1500_.jpg
View Quote
Wait until you put the rifle together and see how your hand lays on the handguard.  Depending on where it comfortable for you, your hand might not reach the elzetta (unless you plan on using a tape switch).
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 11:58:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Wait until you put the rifle together and see how your hand lays on the handguard.  Depending on where it comfortable for you, your hand might not reach the elzetta (unless you plan on using a tape switch).
View Quote
Thanks. Will do. I have some lights and lasers on other guns with tape switches. Thinking that the on/off on the light is a better choice for home defense purposes vs the momentary tape switch so it'll be important to reach it easily.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 1:33:11 PM EDT
[#22]
Some parts fresh from the booth today.

Link Posted: 4/11/2017 3:16:18 PM EDT
[#23]
I bought this lower for a future build but thinking now that I should use it on this one. Seems fitting for the home defense weapon.

Link Posted: 4/11/2017 5:05:26 PM EDT
[#24]
That purple looks kinda cool. I like it for some reason.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 5:42:50 PM EDT
[#25]
I've heard good things about the elzetta, but I don't own one. As someone else said you need to see how you hold the rifle.

On the same note, I don't use the built in front sling loop and I found that it and the mount got in the way of my left hand (finger on the front tab of the handguard). So I cut off the mount. I also stippled the front of the tab.

I probably should've mentioned the above sooner, but take a look and see if you'll use that sling mount or not. I couldn't stand it swinging around.
Link Posted: 4/11/2017 7:11:43 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Link at HF...
What a awesome shop....I see you built your own custom router table.....Nice work on laying out the dust collection.......Nice looking AR build too.
Anti-Fatigue mats

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Welcome!!

Link at HF...
What a awesome shop....I see you built your own custom router table.....Nice work on laying out the dust collection.......Nice looking AR build too.
Anti-Fatigue mats

Link Posted: 4/11/2017 7:56:54 PM EDT
[#27]
Get it together tonight. Crappy cell phone pics but it's all I got for now. Still have things to add/change but super happy that I have it shootable. Feels good to build not buy also!

Link Posted: 4/12/2017 12:15:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
That purple looks kinda cool. I like it for some reason.
View Quote
Thanks! I have had a purple thing going on since the 80's. Trucks, cars, boats, dragster, golf cart...just about everything. Apparently I got it bad.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 12:17:36 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
I've heard good things about the elzetta, but I don't own one. As someone else said you need to see how you hold the rifle.

On the same note, I don't use the built in front sling loop and I found that it and the mount got in the way of my left hand (finger on the front tab of the handguard). So I cut off the mount. I also stippled the front of the tab.

I probably should've mentioned the above sooner, but take a look and see if you'll use that sling mount or not. I couldn't stand it swinging around.
View Quote
I have single point slings on all my guns so I sawed the front mount off already.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 1:22:45 AM EDT
[#30]
Check out Impact Weapon Components.

They have excellent light mounts and sling attachment points for the MOE handguard.
Link Posted: 4/12/2017 2:45:15 PM EDT
[#31]
The purple accented AR's little brother showed up today.

Link Posted: 4/13/2017 11:41:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Just some words of advice (other than these things, looks like a cool build).

-  Ditch the crappy Chinese red dot.  You don't have to go all out, but I usually recommend at minimum an Aimpoint Pro if the rifle is being pressed into a serious use/home defense type role.  Those red/green dot Chinese clones are absolutely horrible in the reliability department.
-  Ditch the comp/brake.  Firing an AR indoors is not pleasant in the slightest (believe me, I've been there).  That muzzle device is going to make it tens time worse with the concussion.  Stick with a regular old A2 FH or something similar.
-  Get a weaponlight of some sort.  I see you already have your eyes on that Elzetta FSB mount which should work fine (if your comfortable with the support hand placement that's needed).  I usually like to recommend, at a minimum, a Surefire G2X Tactical.  320 lumens, single mode, and pretty much bulletproof.  You can find them on different websites (I prefer Amazon) for around $45-$50/shipped.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 7:06:26 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Just some words of advice (other than these things, looks like a cool build).

-  Ditch the crappy Chinese red dot.  You don't have to go all out, but I usually recommend at minimum an Aimpoint Pro if the rifle is being pressed into a serious use/home defense type role.  Those red/green dot Chinese clones are absolutely horrible in the reliability department.
-  Ditch the comp/brake.  Firing an AR indoors is not pleasant in the slightest (believe me, I've been there).  That muzzle device is going to make it tens time worse with the concussion.  Stick with a regular old A2 FH or something similar.
-  Get a weaponlight of some sort.  I see you already have your eyes on that Elzetta FSB mount which should work fine (if your comfortable with the support hand placement that's needed).  I usually like to recommend, at a minimum, a Surefire G2X Tactical.  320 lumens, single mode, and pretty much bulletproof.  You can find them on different websites (I prefer Amazon) for around $45-$50/shipped.
View Quote
Thanks for the help and advice.

I understand your point on the red dot. I had the same sort of revelation when I went from cheapie scopes to Hawkes on my other stuff. I am trying to learn the rifle and quite honestly learn the iron sights as I am used to big scopes. Nice that the red dot does co-witness with the irons. For now, the Chicom red dot will have to do but I will look to upgrade it in the future.

I already have the Comp2 but haven't installed it. My intent was/is to make the muzzle rise and recoil as little as possible. I'm teaching my wife to shoot both hand gun and AR and the rifle being as calm as I can make it seems to be a good thing. Sound is not an issue for her but I get what you are saying about firing one indoors. Not sure which one will win out but it has a regular bird cage on it now. Going to let her shoot it more and see if she gets used to it as is.

I have the Ezetta mount on it now but could not figure out the whole light thing. So many choices at a ridiculous price point range. I ordered the Surefire G2X Tactical. Today's price was $53.55 on Amazon Prime.

Thanks again for the advice and constructive criticism. Very much appreciated.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 5:36:44 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I bought this lower for a future build but thinking now that I should use it on this one. Seems fitting for the home defense weapon.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2817/33849943131_b408968bc5_c.jpg

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2805/33938607906_ef0b324dc2_c.jpg
View Quote
Is that Luke 2 scripture a custom engraving?
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 7:31:06 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Is that Luke 2 scripture a custom engraving?
View Quote
It's Luke 11:21 When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are safe.

Double T Tactical out of Texas has stripped lowers with the scripture lasered on them. The verse is in odd context but still pretty cool for a home defense AR.
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 8:15:20 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 4/15/2017 9:34:03 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Geez nice shop.

edit I guess it's not as bad as cars but you're going to spend a ton of money here buddy
View Quote
Thanks! I admit that I have issues. lol... I have a few AR style air guns that things kinda got out of hand on already.

I just posted AR build #2 that is starting with an F1 chassis, NiB BCG, CMC trigger etc... Still way cheaper than cars.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 9:05:59 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Elzetta light mount

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Elzetta light mount

I used these almost exclusively for years on my rifles because all I wanted on them was a light, using the original handguards. They work very well in that respect. I have been putting rails on a couple of my rifles and using a differnt mount setup, but these do work very well. Elzetta makes good stuff.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 12:55:56 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

I used these almost exclusively for years on my rifles because all I wanted on them was a light, using the original handguards. They work very well in that respect. I have been putting rails on a couple of my rifles and using a differnt mount setup, but these do work very well. Elzetta makes good stuff.
View Quote
Does seem like a very well made mount and well thought out. Liking that I found it on Amazon prime for $26 also. The light should be here tomorrow.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 1:24:42 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
The purple accented AR's little brother showed up today.

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2948/33869353841_3cb0b2f9f7_c.jpg
View Quote
Don't let this man find out about ALG
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 10:05:02 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:

Don't let this man find out about ALG
View Quote
I saw their purple stuff already. Not really my shade. lol... My new F1 chassis build is going to be purple. I'm in the body shop so all my stuff pretty much gets painted.

I have a purple AR style air gun already. I think it's pretty cool especially with matte clear. Looks like it's anodized. Will be painting the F1 chassis this week.

Link Posted: 4/16/2017 10:11:38 PM EDT
[#42]
Had a ball shooting with my wife tonight. She hasn't shot in 30 years but she had a great time with the little purple 9. We're both getting our CC in the next few weeks. I blew 120 rounds thru the AR. A good time was had by all.

Link Posted: 4/17/2017 12:19:32 AM EDT
[#43]
Is there a good certified shooting instructor near you who can give you and your wife some formal instruction?

Now would be the perfect time to invest in some training.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 7:30:10 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Is there a good certified shooting instructor near you who can give you and your wife some formal instruction?

Now would be the perfect time to invest in some training.
View Quote
Coming right up, sir. I/we realize that we need training. I've not shot anything since I was a kid and my instruction then was, "Don't kill yourself with that." We will both be attending classes. We are both perfectionists and want very much to be accurate, confident and safe.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 10:49:31 AM EDT
[#45]
Excellent news.

After some training, you might decide on a different equipment set up.  You might change optics position for best eye relief / view,  light mounting position for ease of use and accessibilty, stock length, etc.  Utilizing your equipment should be as intuitive as possible, particularly for HD.

You will certainly be shown different stance, grip, and firearm presentation techniques.  Be open minded and try to find what feels natural to you.  Enjoy your new endeavor!
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 11:18:30 AM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Excellent news.

After some training, you might decide on a different equipment set up.  You might change optics position for best eye relief / view,  light mounting position for ease of use and accessibilty, stock length, etc.  Utilizing your equipment should be as intuitive as possible, particularly for HD.

You will certainly be shown different stance, grip, and firearm presentation techniques.  Be open minded and try to find what feels natural to you.  Enjoy your new endeavor!
View Quote
We realize that we don't know anything. My main goal for yesterday was just to make sure that it was something that my wife even wanted to do. Turns out she likes it....perhaps a little too much even.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 9:09:02 AM EDT
[#47]
Got the Elzetta mount and the Surefire G2X Tactical light mounted. Super pleased with how it turned out. Feeling like the HD build is just about complete now. Thanks again for everyone's suggestions and help.

Link Posted: 4/20/2017 12:02:21 PM EDT
[#48]
For anyone with the elzetta mount how's the barrel shadow? It looks really clean but I feel like the shadow being above the barrel would bug me.

ETA: TerryH, the rifle looks great! Glad it's working out for you!
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 1:07:28 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
For anyone with the elzetta mount how's the barrel shadow? It looks really clean but I feel like the shadow being above the barrel would bug me.
View Quote
For the price, the MagPul light mount is comparable but in a much better position.

My preferred mount for the MOE handguard is the Impact Weapons Components for twice the price.

The 10 o'clock position is the most intuitive for use with the support (left) hand IMO. If you need to switch hands, you can reach the thumb over the top of the hand guard.
Link Posted: 4/20/2017 2:54:08 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

For the price, the MagPul light mount is comparable but in a much better position.

My preferred mount for the MOE handguard is the Impact Weapons Components for twice the price.

The 10 o'clock position is the most intuitive for use with the support (left) hand IMO. If you need to switch hands, you can reach the thumb over the top of the hand guard.
View Quote
That's how all of my lights are mounted currently for ergonomics and I like the shadow being low right. I was just curious how people feel about a 6 o'clock mount, particularly with light activated and muzzle lowered.

Could be nice to not have the light on the side of the rifle - lower profile. I'm just not sure about activating it or the shadow.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top