Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 4/9/2017 2:24:56 PM EDT
Howdy!

New guy and was interested in your opinions.

New Colt 6920 and want to put an end plate that allows a sling attachment.

My Buffer tube is staked and curious how difficult it is to get loose if I should attempt myself or use a local shop to do so. I understand how to do it, the springs inside etc...

Shop says they don't restake (I guess I wouldn't either!) and use blue Loctite.

Obviously the AR will cease to function if this comes loose in the future which is why I like the staked version as-is.

Any real concerns before I attempt?

Thanks.

W
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 2:57:09 PM EDT
[#1]
Just make sure the receiver is secured so you can use both hands on the wrench, the crescent one tends to want to slip out of the notches.
Every staked castle nut I've removed came right off.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 3:55:31 PM EDT
[#2]
I try to hit some of the displaced metal back with a punch,then hold it down on a carpet put my weight against the receiver and apply steady pressure.if it won't budge I try to go the other way then back off till I get some movement. go slow,they all will come off. I don't stake castle nuts anymore
Link Posted: 4/10/2017 4:07:28 AM EDT
[#3]
I have only ever replaced two staked castle nuts. No major concerns, just be ready to apply some force when removing.

I like to use a round punch when staking.
Tried the screwdriver staking method and that doesn't look as professional to me.
Link Posted: 4/16/2017 4:01:15 AM EDT
[#4]
If you're replacing the end plate, I don't see any reason you couldn't stake it as metal from the plate is what is displaced not metal from the castle nut.

Do it yourself OP - if you like you can throw a dab of blue loctite on as well but shouldn't be necessary.
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top