Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/4/2017 12:47:11 AM EDT
Since colt made the 6920 I've wanted one but I saw others from spikes tactical, bcm and I saw the FN 15 carbine yesterday. Is it the same as the colt if not better?
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 10:09:11 AM EDT
[#1]
The FN carbines use mystery receiver extensions and Colt carbines use 7075 receiver extensions... So Colt is a better buy.

The FN carbines could very well have 7075 receiver extensions though, it's just that know one knows.

The finish on the FN line of ARs does look nicer if that's important to you.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 10:43:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Rather then read opinions on a forum based on hearsay, go out and handle both Colt and FN's and make an informed decision.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 10:50:40 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Rather then read opinions on a forum based on hearsay, go out and handle both Colt and FN's and make an informed decision.
View Quote
I don't know about you, but I don't have a tricorder built into my hands, so handling both won't tell me much about the materials used and quality of assembly unless there's something glaringly obvious.

OP's got a valid question.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 11:44:33 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I don't know about you, but I don't have a tricorder built into my hands, so handling both won't tell me much about the materials used and quality of assembly unless there's something glaringly obvious.

OP's got a valid question.
View Quote
Exactly this.

Why do so many people think that handling something will tell them anymore than what the fit and finish is like.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 12:44:49 PM EDT
[#5]
FN makes good stuff. If you buy an FN it will be fine, and give you good service for a long long time. As would the Colt, BCM, Spikes, or anything else you might be looking at.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 1:11:50 PM EDT
[#6]
FN has had the Military M4a1 contract for a while.  FN also makes the M249, M240, and M2 50cal, just to name a few.  They are a very good company IMO.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 4:27:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
The FN carbines use mystery receiver extensions and Colt carbines use 7075 receiver extensions... So Colt is a better buy.

The FN carbines could very well have 7075 receiver extensions though, it's just that know one knows.

The finish on the FN line of ARs does look nicer if that's important to you.
View Quote
Does it really matter on what the receiver extension is made of?
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 4:31:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
FN makes good stuff. If you buy an FN it will be fine, and give you good service for a long long time. As would the Colt, BCM, Spikes, or anything else you might be looking at.
View Quote
That's my problem. Picking one out of those manufacturers?
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 4:43:09 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
FN has had the Military M4a1 contract for a while.  FN also makes the M249, M240, and M2 50cal, just to name a few.  They are a very good company IMO.
View Quote
This...nothing at all to worry about with an FN.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 4:51:01 PM EDT
[#10]
Valid question, valid answer, FN
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 6:10:28 PM EDT
[#11]
Ok so FN is a good company. Is it a superior company compared to colt
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 7:22:24 PM EDT
[#12]
FNH is a much better company, but Colt makes the better M4.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 7:30:24 PM EDT
[#13]
One next to the other here - my favorite is Colt.
(Top FN Military collector edition, bottom 6920 with pinned and welded flash hider by SAW)

M4s
by SoloDallas, on Flickr
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 8:15:26 PM EDT
[#14]
It's hard not to be a smartass when answering these questions. Is Colt better then a BCM, DD, Spikes, PSA, Rock River etc. Truth be told, I'd take a rifle from anyone of them and be happy.
My carbine has a Colt barrel, BCM charging handle, Geissele trigger, Magpul stock and trigger guard, Laue mount and grip and a bunch of other good quality stuff. Is a Colt better then my rifle?
Is my carbine better then a Colt? I have a little personal experience with FN and they do make a darn good rifle, as do the others. My only advise would be to steer clear of the bargain basement AR's.
If your choice is narrowed down to the 2 mentioned, you will be fine either way.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 8:27:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Yes, FN is good to go. Like an earlier post said there are many rifles that you would be happy with. I have bushy, BCM, core 15, DD, PSA, FN, and mut guns, my duty rifle is a colt and I am happy with all of them. Get the FN and don't look back.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 9:46:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
FNH is a much better company, but Colt makes the better M4.
View Quote
How does colt make the better m4
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 9:47:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
One next to the other here - my favorite is Colt.
(Top FN Military collector edition, bottom 6920 with pinned and welded flash hider by SAW)

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2867/33471288842_aa507e34e0_h.jpg
M4s
by SoloDallas, on Flickr
View Quote
Nice guns. BTW why did you pin and weld the 6920? I thought it wasn't pinned and welded
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 10:05:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Does it really matter on what the receiver extension is made of?
View Quote
To me, yes but in reality for most people's uses, probably not.
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 11:05:18 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Nice guns. BTW why did you pin and weld the 6920? I thought it wasn't pinned and welded
View Quote
If you look it up the way SAW does it, you'll understand. That M4 is exactly the same size of a SBR but legal.
please look up Specialized Armament Warehouse
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 11:33:28 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
If you look it up the way SAW does it, you'll understand. That M4 is exactly the same size of a SBR but legal.
please look up Specialized Armament Warehouse
View Quote
I just did. Did you send your colt to them?
Link Posted: 4/4/2017 11:43:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I just did. Did you send your colt to them?
View Quote
I have two. One I sent, the other I bought directly from them.

I would do it again. And again. And again.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 12:40:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

How does colt make the better m4
View Quote
Colt has been building AR15 style of rifles for decades. Their factory is equipped with proprietary machines and test equipment which costs millions of dollars. Colt assembles their rifles to the highest reliability standards. Nobody in the industry can even come close. This is extremely important in you want a rifle that functions flawlessly for many years, even decades. FNH just recently got an M4 contract, while they have some of the most innovative and iconic weapons of all time, building M4s is not an art they have mastered as well as Colt has. Nor do they have any of Colt's proprietary machines.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 1:13:19 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Colt has been building AR15 style of rifles for decades. Their factory is equipped with proprietary machines and test equipment which costs millions of dollars. Colt assembles their rifles to the highest reliability standards. Nobody in the industry can even come close. This is extremely important in you want a rifle that functions flawlessly for many years, even decades. FNH just recently got an M4 contract, while they have some of the most innovative and iconic weapons of all time, building M4s is not an art they have mastered as well as Colt has. Nor do they have any of Colt's proprietary machines.
View Quote
Its not that I don't believe you it's just that so many people don't realize that colt is still doing good on their ARs when it comes to quality despite their troubled past. I have a colt m4 carbine issued to me and I like it. If colt didn't do a good job I'm sure the military wouldnt use them. I'll settle with the colt then
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 3:16:46 PM EDT
[#24]
I did it the ARFCOM way....have both a Colt and FN.
Link Posted: 4/5/2017 5:51:20 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I did it the ARFCOM way....have both a Colt and FN.
View Quote
I wish I can do it the arfcom way
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 1:02:04 AM EDT
[#26]
I like my FN15 Tactical, would buy again.

Link Posted: 4/6/2017 3:17:26 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Since colt made the 6920 I've wanted one but I saw others from spikes tactical, bcm and I saw the FN 15 carbine yesterday. Is it the same as the colt if not better?
View Quote
Between Colt and FN - I wouldn't question which is superior in regards to quality/reliability but rather which roll mark do I like best
Personally, I wish FN would've used their mil. collectors(contract) roll marks on their basic FN15 and ditched that huge white laser engraving.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 10:41:25 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

Between Colt and FN - I wouldn't question which is superior in regards to quality/reliability but rather which roll mark do I like best
Personally, I wish FN would've used their mil. collectors(contract) roll marks on their basic FN15 and ditched that huge white laser engraving.
View Quote
I must say I agree.

Just sold my FN 'military edition' yesterday. I just couldn't digest the looks of certain things and I buy these for looks mostly.

Done. Colt stays, FN went.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 3:24:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Colt is better imo, but you're not going to regret either one.
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 5:32:33 PM EDT
[#30]
Thanks everyone. Inot surprised none of you guys brought up QC issues and cosmetic flaws like alot of people do
Link Posted: 4/6/2017 10:17:58 PM EDT
[#31]
I'd go LMT if money were not a factor
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 1:37:13 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Agreed. FN rollmark is just... garish. Collectors rollmarks would've been a lot nicer.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 3:06:04 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
Colt is better.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 11:19:57 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Colt is better.
View Quote
Than LMT? I thought it's high end
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 11:42:51 AM EDT
[#35]
There is nothing wrong with LMT.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 12:03:46 PM EDT
[#36]
LMT makes quality products. But Colt has the better M4.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 1:20:48 PM EDT
[#37]
Bump for Colt M4s (various images)

Colt 6920 SAW
by SoloDallas, on Flickr

Colt M4 An/PEQ2A
by SoloDallas, on Flickr

Colt SAW M4s
by SoloDallas, on Flickr

SAW Colt M4 - 13 Hours -
by SoloDallas, on Flickr

SAW Colt M4
by SoloDallas, on Flickr
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 2:20:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Colt is better.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Colt is better.
I don't think Colt is "better" than LMT
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 3:07:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote
Comparing M4 to M4 they are almost equal but Colt has the edge due to having finish under the FSB and using taper pins instead of dowel pins to pin the FSB.

I could be wrong but I think LMT also uses carbine buffers instead of H buffers and AR15 carriers instead of M16 carriers... Does anyone know for sure on this?
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 4:51:37 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Comparing M4 to M4 they are almost equal but Colt has the edge due to having finish under the FSB and using taper pins instead of dowel pins to pin the FSB.

I could be wrong but I think LMT also uses carbine buffers instead of H buffers and AR15 carriers instead of M16 carriers... Does anyone know for sure on this?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Regarding carriers, they definitely used to always use semi carriers, but that was years ago. I don't know if that's still the case.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 5:36:34 PM EDT
[#42]
Look guys, when it comes to AR style of rifles, it's either Colt LE6920, or HK MR556A1. And that's out of any and all AR variants (hundreds of them on the market, from dozens of manufacturers). Me, personally, I would pick the Colt due to extreme difference in weight. I hate heavy guns. That being said, HK is the best weapons manufacturer in the world, always has been and will be in the foreseeable future. Followed by FNH.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 6:02:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Nice volts. So saw pretty much makes your colts m4 carbine clone correct?
View Quote
Correct (they will work on the barrel and internals - only if you want them to).
The rifle stays legal, no stamp, no SBR, nothing. 

I have had two uppers done like this by SAW's owner and I'd buy more if I could. 
I just can't stand (the look of) 16"+ M4 barrels - I never could. 
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 7:58:52 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Look guys, when it comes to AR style of rifles, it's either Colt LE6920, or HK MR556A1. And that's out of any and all AR variants (hundreds of them on the market, from dozens of manufacturers). Me, personally, I would pick the Colt due to extreme difference in weight. I hate heavy guns. That being said, HK is the best weapons manufacturer in the world, always has been and will be in the foreseeable future. Followed by FNH.
View Quote
So you're saying is FNH is a better weapons manufacturer than colt?
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 8:02:33 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Correct (they will work on the barrel and internals - only if you want them to).
The rifle stays legal, no stamp, no SBR, nothing. 

I have had two uppers done like this by SAW's owner and I'd buy more if I could. 
I just can't stand (the look of) 16"+ M4 barrels - I never could. 
View Quote
Eh it doesn't bother me much. I've been issued the m4 carbine for about 4 years the 16 inch doesn't irritate me. Just my opinion
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 9:43:27 PM EDT
[#46]
After looking at several different brand rifles last year I purchased a FNH Tactical Carbine and after shooting about a thousand rounds thru it I built a copy with the same stock, grip, forearm and a DD barrel to play with.  The FN has a hammer forged barrel and thinks its a varmint rifle.  100% reliable so far and not showing any signs of wear running mainly 77gr SMK or Nosler handloads.

No weird pin sizes, emasculated BCG or metal block where the auto sear would go like some of Colt's civilian rifles I've dealt with in the past.  I know Colt has stopped those antics but I'm a Capricorn and we don't forgive easily.

I've spoken with FN employees at different venues and they say the civy guns are built in the same line by the same guys who build the .mil guns using the same parts except where NFA concerns.  One rep said they tried to get the .mil to go to CHF barrels but the "spec" calls for button rifled so that's what they get.

Even with my aversion to Colt's business policies over the years they make THE AR15 (and own that name).  The question about any non-Colt should be "is it as good?" as a Colt.

PS - I like the FN roll mark but mine isn't a different color than the lower itself.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 9:45:44 PM EDT
[#47]
DD and BCM > Colt
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 11:54:36 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

So you're saying is FNH is a better weapons manufacturer than colt?
View Quote
As I've mentioned before, yes overall. But no way do they make a better M4.
Link Posted: 4/7/2017 11:56:05 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
DD and BCM > Colt
View Quote
LOL! BCM better than Colt? That's bonafide crazy talk.
Link Posted: 4/9/2017 6:57:15 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

LOL! BCM better than Colt? That's bonafide crazy talk.
View Quote
For a basic m4 look the colt is better but I've heard bcm has a better QC and has more options than a Colt
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top