Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/9/2017 8:30:59 PM EDT
I have a spikes tactical lower with a 16 bcm bfh barrel with the bcm gunfighter stock and magpul moe mlok midlength handguards with the magpul stubby vertical grip. I've noticed it's a little front heavy when I'm aiming down my sights. Has anyone dealt with these type of issues or have the same configuration that I have. Would it be more balanced if I switched to the magpul ctr buttstock?
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 8:52:55 PM EDT
[#1]
You can do a lot do change the balance.  If you don't want to spend any cash on it, just tape some lead to the end of the buttstock (you can use anything you can find - bundles of washers, bags of shot, etc.)  

But, I don't think you should do anything.  Additional weight on the pointy end will improve stability.  Could be that you don't have your support hand out far enough.  Could be that your support hand isn't pulling the rifle into your shoulder, making it feel muzzle heavy.  

Don't let your components dictate how you shoot.  If your support hand pulls it in tight and holds it steady, everything should fall into place, assuming your other hand is doing its job, and your shoulder and back are in step as well.  

Not to be insulting here, but how much time are you spending at the gym or doing physically taxing activities?  Also, have you taken videos of yourself shooting so you can observe your stance?
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 9:00:05 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a very similar setup, buy a SOPMOD stock, it's heavier and it's arguably the best stock on the market. That's what mine has.

https://www.b5systems.com/products/enhanced-sopmod-stock

Link Posted: 3/9/2017 9:09:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You can do a lot do change the balance.  If you don't want to spend any cash on it, just tape some lead to the end of the buttstock (you can use anything you can find - bundles of washers, bags of shot, etc.)  

But, I don't think you should do anything.  Additional weight on the pointy end will improve stability.  Could be that you don't have your support hand out far enough.  Could be that your support hand isn't pulling the rifle into your shoulder, making it feel muzzle heavy.  

Don't let your components dictate how you shoot.  If your support hand pulls it in tight and holds it steady, everything should fall into place, assuming your other hand is doing its job, and your shoulder and back are in step as well.  

Not to be insulting here, but how much time are you spending at the gym or doing physically taxing activities?  Also, have you taken videos of yourself shooting so you can observe your stance?
View Quote

Haven't been in a few weeks since i returned from overseas and no to the 2nd question. Does it make a difference if I don't hold onto the stubby grip while firing I felt at ease when  I just placed the handguards on my support hand when I'm aiming
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 9:33:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have a very similar setup, buy a SOPMOD stock, it's heavier and it's arguably the best stock on the market. That's what mine has.

http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p511/Sputnik1988/EC3A428A-E87A-4994-8A95-BD29F85FD1A5_zpsbe71fd1c.jpg
View Quote

So by adding a heavier stock it would make it more balanced and less front heavy? Won't it add more weight than it already is?
Link Posted: 3/9/2017 10:03:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

So by adding a heavier stock it would make it more balanced and less front heavy? Won't it add more weight than it already is?
View Quote

It isn't that much heavier, but yes. More weight in the rear would void that much weight in the front as far as balance goes.

It will be slightly heavier overall obviously.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 6:14:09 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Haven't been in a few weeks since i returned from overseas and no to the 2nd question. Does it make a difference if I don't hold onto the stubby grip while firing I felt at ease when  I just placed the handguards on my support hand when I'm aiming
View Quote

That would be a personal preference issue.  I don't use any kind of foregrip attachments, as I don't like them.  I feel like keeping everything closer to center makes weapon management easier.  I also know a lot of people that use foregrips and really like them.  Totally up to you.
Link Posted: 3/10/2017 9:50:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i1153.photobucket.com/albums/p511/Sputnik1988/EC3A428A-E87A-4994-8A95-BD29F85FD1A5_zpsbe71fd1c.jpg

I understand your desire for balance.  I have more than once added weight and made firearms "feel" lighter.  It seems counter intuitive but it is a thing.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 7:06:16 PM EDT
[#8]
V7 tactical makes a heavier buffer tube, it's not cheap at all but it works, They make two different kinds, a lightweight and the heavy duty one. I own a couple of both and the heavy one is significantly heavier.
Link Posted: 3/11/2017 7:07:23 PM EDT
[#9]
V7 tactical makes a heavier buffer tube, it's not cheap at all but it works, They make two different kinds, a lightweight and the heavy duty one. I own a couple of both and the heavy one is significantly heavier.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 2:46:57 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm guessing that's a government profile or M4ish type barrel. A different barrel profile would have a more neutral balance while reducing overall weight. Adding a heavier stock as already mentioned gives you a more neutral balance while increasing overall weight.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 3:18:43 AM EDT
[#11]
Don't overthink it. It's not like you have a heavy light and laser hanging off the front.
Link Posted: 3/12/2017 7:36:01 AM EDT
[#12]
Try a Magpul STR. Can add more weight in the tubes. Made my socom barrel balance nicely. Rifle weights 7lb even.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 9:18:19 AM EDT
[#13]
UBR gen 1 with batteries stored in it. Problem solved.
Link Posted: 3/15/2017 9:21:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote

indeed, the V7 HD extension is the only one I know of that is steel....though some of the PDW/folding stock systems may have steel as well. Anyway, the V7 one is 4140, 9.6oz, per the PWD.
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top